PDA

View Full Version : Server crash

SpankMe
23rd August 2007, 17:22
Well that was fucking horrible :(

File system on hard drive was corrupted so had the server provider replace it and reinstalle the OS again. They also attached the old drive so I could copy my data off it. Unfortunately the database was too corrupted to repair without losing rows, so had to use the last backup which was 2 days old.

Good thing is I got the latest OS as I was having security problems with the old one and the new hard drive is double the size of the old one :)

Thanks to all that offered help, especially nasty and grub who have sent me a new 300gb drive for my test/backup server at home. :D

There still may be files missing, so if there are any problems please let me know here.

Now off to sort my SV site.

Fatjim
Thats cool. I hadn't said or thought anything important in at least 2 days anyway.

skidMark
why is my other post at the top LOL

edit...they both are..what the shit..

yungatart
23rd August 2007, 17:23
Thats cool. I hadn't said or thought anything important in at least 2 days anyway.

As proved by your random text to me earlier today:bleh:

skidMark
23rd August 2007, 17:24
um spank...it's not friday yet! LOL ur post says the 24th

so um hows the weather tommorrow! LOL

Qkchk
23rd August 2007, 17:25
Are you sure everythings ok? The posts are back-to-front :lol:

NighthawkNZ
23rd August 2007, 17:25

File system on hard drive was corrupted so had the server provider replace it and reinstalle the OS again. They also attached the old drive so I could copy my data off it. Unfortunately the database was too corrupted to repair without losing rows, so had to use the last backup which was 2 days old.

Good thing is I got the latest OS as I was having security problems with the old one and the new hard drive is double the size of the old one :)

Thanks to all that offered help, especially nasty and grub who have sent me a new 300gb drive for my test/backup server at home. :D

There still may be files missing, so if there are any problems please let me know here.

its good to be back... da da da good to be back... yes my singing is that bad...

Kittyhawk
23rd August 2007, 17:32
I didnt know how to fill in my time apart from riding........I actually missed KB!
:drool:

AHH back to winding up :argue:

Cajun
23rd August 2007, 17:34
Awsome work spank

Thanks heaps

Bonez
23rd August 2007, 17:34
Well done.:jerry::jerry::jerry::jerry::jerry:

Goblin
23rd August 2007, 17:41
Gotta admit...I was a little lost without my fix. But I did go riding yesterday.:2thumbsup

:grouphug::grouphug:

Usarka
23rd August 2007, 17:41
WTF I posted this yesterday!???

Maha
23rd August 2007, 17:45
Aint it just...wasn't having withdrawals like some were, it was lke like waiting to got to the dentist.... i knew would happen eventually....:baby:

McDuck
23rd August 2007, 17:46
Agreed. Are we going to be able to get he past copple of days posts back?

Str8 Jacket
23rd August 2007, 17:49
Just when I thought that some of us might actually get a life.....

MSTRS
23rd August 2007, 17:52
It's been worse than having all the blankets stolen on a frosty night. It was worse than getting one's hand smacked.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=196159&postcount=16
It was worse than ^^^
I had to do some work :whistle:

Swoop
23rd August 2007, 17:53
Good on ya Spank. All the hard work that you must have put in over the last day or so.:first:

Virago
23rd August 2007, 17:54
Agreed. Are we going to be able to get he past copple of days posts back?

I don't think I posted anything of world-shattering importance in the day or so before the crash. Does anyone here think they did?

Usarka
23rd August 2007, 17:55
It's been worse than having all the blankets stolen on a frosty night. It was worse than getting one's hand smacked.
It was worse than ^^^

So it was like removing the pegs then rubbing vigourously with your fingers?

finn - stop reading this and go hire some people who speak england.

:lol:

Hitcher
23rd August 2007, 17:59
So what has everybody been up to in the past two days when they haven't been able to make their usual contribution to Kiwi Biker? What other joys of life had you discovered?

Last night I was forced to watch some talent show involving extremely attractive identical twin girls. Terrible business. Thanks for saving me, Spank.

jrandom
23rd August 2007, 18:03
So what has everybody been up to in the past two days when they haven't been able to make their usual contribution to Kiwi Biker? What other joys of life had you discovered?

We all went over to sprotsbike.co.nz and used Quasi's bandwidth to form a withdrawal support group.

1vanvan1
23rd August 2007, 18:04
Dam! My good rep has gone! :( I had a good 10 more good reps and they gone! Im sad now! :argh:

Meanie
23rd August 2007, 18:04
Woohoo were back Well done Spank :niceone:
Didnt realise i had an addiction until KB was off line

yungatart
23rd August 2007, 18:06

Last night I was forced to watch some talent show involving extremely attractive identical twin girls. Terrible business. Thanks for saving me, Spank.

You think that is bad! We in our house were forced to actually talk to each other in face to face type communications, rather than the "post and dodge" type we usually indulge in.
OMG, it was ...just awful...I even saw the guidance counsellor at school today!
Traumatised we are, totally and utterly! Thanks Spank for saving us...:love:

EJT
23rd August 2007, 18:08
Great work spank. I was one of the ones having withdrawal symptoms. Actually had to do some work for two days:whistle:

Mom
23rd August 2007, 18:09

I wonder if the productivity of some companies increased over the past couple of days, without the KB influence on their staff......LOL

Great to be back up and running though, thanks Spank, I am picking the last couple of days will not be top of your list for repeats! Appreciate all the extra effort that has been involved getting up and running again. Can we (the members) offer some financial assistance to you for the replacement hardware etc?

I think we will cope with a couple of days of lost posts mate!

Nasty
23rd August 2007, 18:15
Great work Spankme ... btw I think I ordered a 400gb drive ... was almost the same price :yes:

Thank god I got something to read again at work ... I have been really bored the past two days!

T.W.R
23rd August 2007, 18:21
That man deserves a DB :headbang:

Though when I tried checking in this morning instead of the server note I got a screen full a cache data etc :shit:

janno
23rd August 2007, 18:27
Thanks heaps for your work, Spank. Though must admit, it was alot easier to get my feature written today without noodling about on KB. Have paypalled some money your way for this quarters membership. More to follow at a later date. You do a great job keeping us all happy and occupied . . .

Mental Trousers
23rd August 2007, 18:28
At least my ignore list is intact.

imdying
23rd August 2007, 18:28
FUCK KB, FIX THE PORTAL!!!!!!i

McDuck
23rd August 2007, 18:30
I don't think I posted anything of world-shattering importance in the day or so before the crash. Does anyone here think they did?
I did. I have lost my new motorbike thread :weep::weep:

Meanie
23rd August 2007, 18:30
Dam! My good rep has gone! :( I had a good 10 more good reps and they gone! Im sad now! :argh:

Bugger............bling sent

MyGSXF
23rd August 2007, 18:33
Well done for all your hard work SpankMe!!! :clap: you've saved my life... :innocent:

Jen :rockon:

I :love: KB!!! :D

RantyDave
23rd August 2007, 18:42
Yeah, a big bucket of well fucking done to that man. Maintaining a backup, over that distance and this much traffic is a non-trivial pastime. Matched only by actually being able to bring the damn thing back up again when it shits itself.

Good work dude,
Dave

SpankMe
23rd August 2007, 18:59
FUCK KB, FIX THE PORTAL!!!!!!i

soon, database repaired ok. Lucky, because the last backup was 22 days old. Had disabled it to do some checking and forgot to re-enable it again :doh:

Virago
23rd August 2007, 18:59
I did. I have lost my new motorbike thread :weep::weep:

Bugger. Post it up again - I'll read it...:niceone:

mbazza
23rd August 2007, 19:02
Thanks Spankme, I don't know what others are doing when KB drops off. Cheers.:calm:

Hitcher
23rd August 2007, 19:03
The homepage link to the forums doesn't appear to be working...

breakaway
23rd August 2007, 19:05
Well put Dave. I know of another forum where the admin neglected to check backups :rolleyes:

deanohit
23rd August 2007, 19:07
Fuck, you know you've got it bad when you start having withdrawl symptoms. Found myself wondering what the hell to do.
Spankme, good on ya mate!!:drinkup:

Virago
23rd August 2007, 19:08
The homepage link to the forums doesn't appear to be working...

I always come in via the homepage - works for me.

Edit: KB Spy is not working though.

paturoa
23rd August 2007, 19:17
KB Spy gives a 404 error.

chanceyy
23rd August 2007, 19:22
well its good to be back ... actually managed to get some stuff done that I had been putting off .. & read a book :laugh:

hmm pity we lost bling though ... :cry:

Donor
23rd August 2007, 19:22
At least my ignore list is intact.

Who said that??

chanceyy
23rd August 2007, 19:24
KB Spy gives a 404 error.

Ditto .......

marty
23rd August 2007, 19:28
We all went over to sprotsbike.co.nz and used Quasi's bandwidth to form a withdrawal support group.

i even got up to my 4th post over there!

RiderInBlack
23rd August 2007, 19:34
Awesome Spank. Ya the Dude. KB Spy not working but can use the old method of using "New Post" so all sweet. See some other sites also seem ta be having a porblem too.

jonbuoy
23rd August 2007, 19:35
I thought the IT Dragon at work had finally twigged to my kiwi biker addiction and cut me off. Niceone Spankme for all the hard work to get it going and running the site. :niceone:

McDuck
23rd August 2007, 19:36
Heres my new thread. Nice bike ay???

McDuck
23rd August 2007, 19:39
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=1178337#post1178337

Mom
23rd August 2007, 19:58

Hope that SV site is up and running now, get Noy to give you a huge shoulder massage, or something :innocent:, you have certainly earned one!
Is there a reason the test thread is stuck at the top of the most recent threads posted in on the home page, or is it one of the irritating side effects of the "Great Crash of 07!"

Grub
23rd August 2007, 20:10
So what has everybody been up to in the past two days when they haven't been able to make their usual contribution to Kiwi Biker?

I fully expect there to be a significant spike in birth statistics in 40 weeks from now

Disco Dan
23rd August 2007, 20:20
I fully expect there to be a significant spike in birth statistics in 40 weeks from now

Sounds similar to the "Coronation Street christmas special" the adverts came on and everyone switched their kettles on causing a huge power drain... tripping out substations and just about bringing down the national power grid... you got to love a good cup of tea though... :niceone:

PS - whats with all the weird smilies?

Virago
23rd August 2007, 20:29
Anyone else find the site is running excruciatingly slow?

McDuck
23rd August 2007, 20:30
:bash::bash::Oops::bash::jerry::Pokey::spanking::P laynice::2thumbsup:argue::beer:

Steam
23rd August 2007, 20:35
Anyone else find the site is running excruciatingly slow?

Yeah it's super-slow. I got a couple of time-outs when loading pages.

Virago
23rd August 2007, 20:41
Yeah it's super-slow. I got a couple of time-outs when loading pages.

Okay, we need some volunteers to get off, so the site will run faster for the rest of us.

Come on, away you go...

Now please...

You're still here?:cool:

ajturbo
23rd August 2007, 20:46
It was worse than ^^^
tell us... just why did you do that to yourself????

Steam
23rd August 2007, 20:46
Okay, we need some volunteers to get off, so the site will run faster for the rest of us.

Come on, away you go...

Now please...

I'm not going anywhere! I gotta gets my kiwibiker goodness

Grub
23rd August 2007, 20:47
Come on, away you go...

No .... please .... i wanna stay

ynot slow
23rd August 2007, 20:56
Was strange last night,no kb,mind you am on quasi's site have been for while,so got my fix,shit loads of guys joining up by look of,good to have couple of forums.Some newbies on other site bad mouthing kb,then some come back here when fixed,hope they all enjoy both sites.

Mind you actually had to talk to "she who must be obeyed" in bed last night,bugger (not).
Thanks to all who helped fix the site,you don't know how much ya miss it till it's gone,no info on rides,bike queries etc.:hug:

Steam
23rd August 2007, 21:40
Not working for me. I guess it's part of the whole server recovery thing, maybe that function hasn't been restored yet.

Grub
23rd August 2007, 22:22
Give him a break Steam. I bet he hasn't had much play time over the last few days. It;s awesome the main event is up ... big ups for that, everything else will follow.

SpankMe
23rd August 2007, 22:49
If it ain't working, I need to know. It's the only why I'm gonna find out.

Kittyhawk
23rd August 2007, 23:02
If it ain't working, I need to know. It's the only why I'm gonna find out.

Im broken fix me :girlfight:haha

Freakshow
23rd August 2007, 23:22
So glad to see it up and running again. Work has been so borring... Trademe and that knitting site just don't cut it!!!

Mekk
23rd August 2007, 23:59
Haven't bothered to read the entire thread so it may have been mentioned already, but it's showing 66 replies and 1 view for this one.

terbang
24th August 2007, 00:25
Whew I'm staying here in florida and the hotel has this new beaut (and free) wireless internet. Now I can take advantage of it. I just thought it was their server cuttin out all the known sleazy sites..! Thank god its back, we can take Scumdog out of his straight jacket. Off to Key West for a nosey today..

Zapf
24th August 2007, 00:38
thanks for the work Spank, we know what its like... working at the back of the servers.

Disco Dan
24th August 2007, 00:39
Nice work Spank :Punk:

Sniper
24th August 2007, 07:55
Awesome to see. Thanks for the hard work Spank

Dargor
24th August 2007, 08:25
So Spank, what precautions do/could you take to try stop this, fsck etc?
Just wondering.

007XX
24th August 2007, 08:33
Thanks heaps Spankme for all the stress and hard work you've had to go through...

Heck, I missed KB allright!:hug:

jim.cox
24th August 2007, 08:55
Awsome work spank

Thanks heaps

Yeah, what he said :)

Its great to have Kiwibiker back :)

Thankx

=mjc=

Goblin
24th August 2007, 09:13
If it ain't working, I need to know. It's the only why I'm gonna find out.Ok, my email notification for Reply to threads isn't working.
Cheers Spank, great job you're doing. :yes:

avgas
24th August 2007, 09:21
Did Pirates cause dis?
Yaaarrrr
Good on ya Spankme - i had gone back to masturbating.:crybaby:
And i got my xbox last night so no biggie.

SpankMe
24th August 2007, 09:22
Yep, email not working yet. Can't get php mail to work, working on it.

Also the site will be a bit slow until I setup PHP caching again and redo server tuning.

I also need to do a reboot of the server some time today, should only take 10 mins.

Phils Motorcycles
24th August 2007, 09:56
People using http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/ are getting a directory listing (nothing there except a "back" link) instead of getting http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/index.php displayed.

Animal
24th August 2007, 10:46
Thanks heaps Spankme for all the stress and hard work you've had to go through...

Heck, I missed KB allright!:hug:

Exactly what she said.:clap:

Finn
24th August 2007, 11:35
finn - stop reading this and go hire some people who speak england.

:lol:

I wish I could. Trouble is they've all left the country and the dregs that are left are not worth hiring so I have to give the jobs to immigrants... like Dover. Most of them are pretty good but you're right, English is a problem.

One of our managers recently received some CV's. 25 respondents 1 kiwi. There was something wrong with the kiwi so we didn't have a choice.

SpankMe
24th August 2007, 14:02
emails working.

Crisis management
24th August 2007, 14:13
Huge effort your putting in here Spank to save our various social lives......thanks lots!!!!!!

young1
24th August 2007, 14:27
Wow I cant believe; how my productivity at worked picked up while the site was down, or how much I missed it!

Great to see it back again, we would be really lost without it!

ajturbo
24th August 2007, 17:26
Whew I'm staying here in florida and the hotel has this new beaut (and free) wireless internet. Now I can take advantage of it. I just thought it was their server cuttin out all the known sleazy sites..! Thank god its back, we can take Scumdog out of his straight jacket. Off to Key West for a nosey today..
hey call up my mate... he lives there (key west)

just go to any bar and ask for mitch....lol

McDuck
24th August 2007, 17:55
email? how? what? where? why? how?

kevfromcoro
24th August 2007, 19:27
Wots going on here.
The server hasnt been down.
Ive been watching it all week with my friend J Danelles
Mind u we did miss a couple of days.
Maye be that.

phantom
24th August 2007, 19:30
Feckin computers , thats why I'm only a computer tech now Monday to Wednesday and a garderner Thursday to Saturday'ish. Thankfully I can still get my KB fix after going cold turkey for a day or two

pete376403
24th August 2007, 21:58
I have to say its good when servers etc crash (except KB). Its the fixing of them that keeps a roof over my head and bikes in the shed. An evil wind etc...

McDuck
25th August 2007, 22:17
So how dose the email notfication work?
Thankingyou

ajturbo
25th August 2007, 22:33
If it ain't working, I need to know. It's the only way I'm gonna fix it.

umm.. this is a little shamefull...... but..
this is hard to say...

yes it's my love life... it's not working....
can you PM me when you have fixed it please..

thanks

AJ
:whistle:

merv
25th August 2007, 23:23
Just as well I was away until today huh!

Virago
26th August 2007, 11:50
this is hard to say...

thanks

AJ

Perhaps your Hard Drive is too small?:done:

SpankMe
26th August 2007, 17:22
All missing avatars, sigpics and profile pics are restored. Let me know if any still have broken image links. Working on attachments now.

doc
26th August 2007, 17:52
this is hard to say...

thanks

AJ
Good try, but no one has seen him walking on water yet...?

skelstar
27th August 2007, 22:46
If it hasn't been mentioned yet, the RSS feed hasn't worked for me pretty much all day Spank. On three diff computers.