PDA

View Full Version : Copy-protected CDs - how to convert them to MP3??

TonyB
23rd August 2007, 20:18
I recently bought 'In Your Honour'- Foo Fighters, and was looking forward to converting it to MP3 for the iPod down at the gym etc. Well bugger me if its not protected! When I put the thing into my PC (running XP Pro) nothing happens. I can't even get into the CD through Explorer. I somehow managed to get iTunes to convert one song over to AAC, but it had no info about the song and I haven't been able to get it to do it again. I have considered letting my 4 year old son have a go....

I did a google and found its protected with "MediaMax CD-3" copy protection, and supposedly you just hold down SHIFT while insterting the CD and it'll bypass the protection software. 'tis not working. So while I read up some more on this CRAP, I'm hoping some kind a knowledgeable soul will be able to provide me with the answer.:niceone:

Disco Dan
23rd August 2007, 20:22
Download "alcohol 120%" (yes seriously) and use that program. Has all sorts of funky tools for copying protected content.

NighthawkNZ
23rd August 2007, 20:25
heaps of free apps out there that can do it.... however if all else fails...

buy a cassette... push record.... then record the tape to puter... simple

Mully
23rd August 2007, 20:46
buy a cassette... push record.... then record the tape to puter... simple

Ahh, the high tech approach.

riffer
23rd August 2007, 20:54
itunes doesn't care about copy protection it would seem.

Or go to www.google.com

type "foo fighters In Your Honour torrent"

Download torrent.

install utorrent.

you know the rest... :done:

geoffm
23rd August 2007, 23:05
AnyDVD is mighty handy for these problems. I second ALchohol 120% - works well and is worth paying for.
.. and return the CD as being faulty - it is the only way the record company will learn.
And they wonder why piracy is so common? THey force you into it.
Look up "the pirate bay" and Bitenova.com if you want to search for torrents. I use Azureus as a torrent client.
Geoff

Spuds1234
24th August 2007, 04:40
Where abouts in Christchurch are you?

I can drop off a copy of all the MP3's of that album if its a fine day tomorrow.

I ripped it without a problem using Eazy Cd Ripper.

NighthawkNZ
24th August 2007, 07:11
Ahh, the high tech approach.

nothing but hi tech around here... :D

oh wait I need to put some sarcasum in there... :lol:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63770&d=1181954484

Sanx
24th August 2007, 10:43
Do yourself and everyone else a favour and return the CD to the shop and tell them it's not working. You can reasonably expect to play the CD in your PC, your car and your home stereo. Many car stereos essentially use PC drives and components and are also affected by these bloody copy-protection systems. Ensure the shop provides you with a refund but state you'd be equally happy with a version of the CD that conforms to the Compact Disk standard (these don't) that you can play in all devices. If they get arsey about it, download the torrent :)

Drunken Monkey
24th August 2007, 10:59
As above, try alcohol 120 or altoMP3 is another ripper that ignores various types of protection.
DVDShrink is great for films with the same "problem".

phoenixgtr
24th August 2007, 11:01
Well thats weird cause I've copied that CD no probs using iTunes

avgas
24th August 2007, 11:16
freerip
its too stupid (and small) to know what copy protection is.
If there is music on the disc it can copy it.

geek
24th August 2007, 18:51
nothing but hi tech around here... :D

oh wait I need to put some sarcasum in there... :lol:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63770&d=1181954484

A midi keyboard and a Behringer mixer and what looks possibly like Emagic moniters?

Nearly any program will rip it.

http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=CD+to+Mp3+ripper&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

arj127
25th August 2007, 08:28
freerip
its too stupid (and small) to know what copy protection is.
If there is music on the disc it can copy it.

That program is so easy to use, and so far has ripped all the songs off my CD's that i wanted.