PDA

View Full Version : FARK! where should I take my bike now?

Duke of Rogan
21st July 2003, 12:31
:angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

I fucked up and now my bike needs fairing repairs, but I'm not sure where to take it, any suggestions?
preferably a place in CBD Auckland, or North Shore.

I guess the first step is a quote.
not sure if I'll use insurance yet, but prolly will as my excess is only $500, and I have damage to both sides and front mudguard, as well as the tailight and bumper of the car I slid into :brick:

FARK!!!
this only happened this morning and I only have myself (and a slippery road) to blame. put it down to lack of experience.
first ride in my new jacket too!
FARK! FARK FARK!

:beer:
:o

Mitch
21st July 2003, 12:56
:(  That just sucks Duke!!!!  Reflections are the best for painting and probably have someone they use for other repairs, would be a good place to start.

Glad your OK though!!

Coldkiwi
21st July 2003, 13:10
aye.. reflections are (as Wkid puts it) the mutts pearls in Auckland.. but if you gotta pay for it you may want to look elsewhere.

if its an insurance claim though, get reflections to price it up and take the price list to your assessor. That way, all he has to do is scratch his bum and sign it off and you get a wicked paint job and repair. Turn up without a pre-priced job and he'll just go to the nearest dodgy plastic welder who'll get the wrong paint and won't replace fairings if it's needed.

Trust me (worked for me!), make it easy for the assessor and you'll have a much easier time getting a good job done on it.

Duke of Rogan
21st July 2003, 13:17
thanks guys for the response, I'll stop in there on my way home.

the bike still goes in a straight line, but it feels like the left grip is closer to me than the right. I did a "string-line" wheel alignment about a week ago, so tonight I will recheck.
I suspect the left grip/handle is a little bent, as this is the side it slid on, dont think (hope) forks are bent.

wkid_one
21st July 2003, 13:21
How bad is the bike Duke??

If more damage is done - go see Brent at Spectrum Motorcycles on the 'Shore.  HE did the insurance work for my bike when I stacked it - and you can't even tell it's had an accident - it was all fairing damage also - with some minor bits like mirros etc...

Source the parts like mirrors/blade etc off the net - way cheaper than OEM parts.

Duke of Rogan
21st July 2003, 13:29
Originally posted by wkid_one
How bad is the bike Duke??

pretty minor in terms of crash damage, but I'm picking it may cost a lot more than my $500 excess to fix (BMW taillight replacment and bumper respray)

no mirrors or controls are broken, scratches on left mirror and clutch control.
the front wheel guard is cracked on right where it attaches to fork.
right fairing is cracked from impact with car bumper (30cm long?)
left fairing is scratched from road slide (50-60cm long?)
pride is very dented, and lower back sore :o
new jacket is dirty.

wkid_one
21st July 2003, 13:42
Ouch - I know I had a good experience from Spectrum if it is an insurance repair....

Duke of Rogan
21st July 2003, 14:27
well, well.
I just spoke to my insurance company, and the loverly girl at AMI told me that another motorcyclist had the same experience on the same road only 2 weeks ago.
I told her "it felt like I had hit a slippery patch on the road like it had diesel on it" and she said thats exactly what the other guy said!
I'm not making up excuses, but I thought at the time I must of been braking over the painted turn-left arrow on the road (which I normally avoid), 'cos it was llike one second I was braking and the next sliding!

so is the other doode out there? AMI couldn't give me his contact details and I'd like to share experiences.
According to the girl on the phone he slid directly into the car in front and came away with a broken arm also :(

What?
21st July 2003, 14:51
Good to hear you didn't get too hurt, Duke. Sounds like a bad spot of road - where was it ??

Duke of Rogan
21st July 2003, 16:03
occurred on Greviile Road as I was about to go onto Aucklands Nothern motorway to go into town.
I was coming down the hill from East Coast road, and was braking to stop for a car that had stopped for another vehicle in the round-about that leads into the motorways onramp.
A lot of trucks use that bit of road, and espically the left lane, which I was in, as there is a landfill halfway up Greville Road.
Next time I use right lane me thinks.

wkid_one
21st July 2003, 16:07
Do what I did Duke.  On the basis of some previous comments on the site (BB can confirm) - my riding has been identified as below par (by people who don't know me)....so accordingly - there is now a VTR motor up for sale- with full wiring loom- as I am converting my motorbike in to a fully suspended mountain bike (I figure with how heavy the bike is - it will make a wicked down hill machine).

...so now focused on speeding the steering up AND increasing ground clearance....not an easy task.....I am replaced the front forks with Rock Shox and the rear is getting an extra 4 inches of travel (courtesy of a Cannondale rear shock).

...I can obviously ditch the fuel in the tank - but I am keeping it to fill with water - as I figure I will get thirsty going up hill....and would only have to wear a Camelbak anyway.

Fitting the fitting the Shimano STX Gears on the bars is easy - but the cable routing and connection to the gear box isn't....especially if I want the Raleigh 20 Bell.

It doesn't look that smart with the Dirt Tyres - but they are on 22inch carbon fibe rims - with three spokes - nice!

Right I am off ot the gym - as I will need a few months of training before I can get this beast up hill.....

Wanted - Chopper Flag

Duke of Rogan
21st July 2003, 16:52
haha! made me smile :D

FARK! FARK! FARK-IT! why did I have to scratch my bike?

bikerboy
21st July 2003, 17:32
Glad to hear your all right fellow ducatisti.

Sorry about the bike but with a good repairer it will soon be a sad but distant memory. :) The important thing is you weren't hurt too badly as we've often told KK, you can fix the bike but the body is often a different story.

Best of luck with the repairs

:rockon:

What?
22nd July 2003, 06:53
Wkid_one - it is a lost cause! History has shown that before long, anyone with a pushy wants to add a motor to it. First there will be an old BSA Winged Wheel, then a 5 horse Briggs & Stratton rotary hoe motor welded into the frame. Next you will be on a James cadet, and before you know it you will own a 100HP+ Japanese sports bike. Save yourself the pain; leave gym's to the pretty people, ignore all the pontificating know-alls (oops, that might be me :o ) and go for a nice, long ride.:rockon:

Duke of Rogan
22nd July 2003, 10:13
I took my bike into Spectrum this morning, who also told me that he's had a lot of guys come in after having a spill on Greville Road! (atleast 4 recently).
Who do you contact with roading concerns? and will they care?
and I wonder how many cars have nose-to-tails there?

I rode down the same road this morning and even with clear blue skies it looks slippery, so bikers beware!

anyway Spectrum are doing me a quote, and they send there stuff to Reflections cos "there the best", although maybe a 3 week wait to get it back :( (unless I get OEM pre-painted maybe!)

bikerboy
22nd July 2003, 11:32
Hey, D of R,

There is a company that does replcement farings etc. unfinished through to panted for the 600ss. If you are thinking of replacements their's are much cheaper. Check out www.racerden.com.

:cool:

wkid_one
22nd July 2003, 12:43
Depends on the cost of the replacement/repair - but I would tend to agree with the replacement fairing rather than OEM - way to expensive (mind you Honda are the most expensive for plastics apparently - sameas their cars - assume same goes gfor Dukes).

Redstar
22nd July 2003, 20:34
theory cause and effect?
theres a Gull station at the top of the hill on Greville road and they offer cheaper Diesel prices?think about it?

wkid_one
23rd July 2003, 16:40
I'm sorry Redstar - but your post confuzzled me? (not hard I know)

Duke of Rogan
23rd July 2003, 17:25
as you ride down Greville Road there is a Gull petrol station on the left, which usually has cheaper diesel than others, then just past this is an entry to a landfill, which dirty great trucks go in and out of.
So if you are using this road, my advice is stay in the right lane.

I stopped at the accident spot this morning to take some digital pictures of the road surface, and almost witnessed a noise-to-tail between to cars. Got a picture of the skid-marks! not sure how the images look yet though.

I'm going to try and get in contact with all the other bikers who have had a spill there recently and approach the council. fat lot of good it will do though.....

Dave
23rd July 2003, 18:09
I tried it on with the council once-had a crash on a road that had a 4" ridge about three foot out on the road in themiddle of the corner-sent the council a letter and a bill for acc surcharges and insurance excess.
Got a reply of " sorry but council is not an insurance company"
Wankers.

bikerboy
23rd July 2003, 20:01
They are liable, or so I was told by a lawyer friend. Perhaps you need a more formal looking letter with the right name on top written in threatening language. :D

MikeL
23rd July 2003, 20:55
Originally posted by bikerboy
They are liable,

Are you sure you're not imagining you're back in the good ole U.S. of A - land of freedom, personal responsibility, justice for all and a lawyer on every streetcorner? :p

(This is Godzone, remember, a caring and sharing place, where responsibility for accidents, health and safety, and the well-being of each individual is everybody else's business, and where no single person can ever be blamed for anything (except when our team loses...)

bikerboy
23rd July 2003, 23:03
Well I had a friend who hit a pot hole and bent the wheel of his expensive sports car. He spoke to a lawyer friend who found out the pot hole had been reported months before but not repaired.

So a firmly written letter was sent and after several threats and some negotiation the Council paid to replace his wheel to the tune of $2300.00. I was told they are liable to repair or make safe a road condition if notified within a resonable period of time, if not then they must where the cost of the resulting injury. You can't get millions but can negotiate to recoup your costs if reasonable.

I have no personal experience so best of luck but I think if you are reasonable and persistent you've got a good chance.:beer:

wkid_one
24th July 2003, 08:06
Yeah BB - I know someone down here in Wellington who did a similar thing....

Problem is where you can prove the council knew about it, whether it was caused by another driver (then they are liable - good luck finding them) - if however, in this case - there are a number of people who have had the same issues in the same spot - you should have a good case I would imagine.

bikerboy
24th July 2003, 10:17
One thing we can do is report all instances of these types of things. If they are constantly informed they may do something about them but also we will be able to show they knew more easily.

Perhaps have a forum for bad spots with place, date and when council informed as a record for other bikers to refer to in such events.?
:done:

Duke of Rogan
25th July 2003, 14:44
that could be a good idea BB, would need to keep it free of the regular banter to make it more viewable.

anyway, I've asked AMI and Spectrum to get me in touch with any of the other 'cyclists who had a mishap on the same road, will wait and see...

Spectrum came back with a quote for a full repair, and if I add the cost of the damage to the car in I will be definately be lodging a claim and saying bye bye to my no-claims bonus :(

meantime I'm still riding it, but I dont think I'll be doing any weekend tours until its fully repaired.

bikerboy
25th July 2003, 18:04
I wonder if you could show others having had a problem in this same area that your insurance company will not cancel your no claims bonus.

My insurance company only cancels the NCB if the accident is my fault. In all other instances if I can show it wasn't my fault, even if the company must pay out I don't loose it.

I'd write a letter explaining the situation, they may be more sypathetic than you think. Then again maybe not.:o

Best of Luck.

Duke of Rogan
5th August 2003, 15:18
well my bikes still in the same state, but parts are on their way and I am told its booked in for the next batch of repairs at Reflections.
it's been depressing riding a scratched bike with a leaky fork seal and droopy mirror, I have found makes me feel less confident too.
took it for a blast after work last night at dusk anyway, just to try and revive myself.

I filled out an Accident Report form I got from a clerk at the Taka police station, and faxed to the "Metro Crash Office" as told to, but got no response so I called them and got to speak to some more morons... :whocares:
but they did give me the number for a most helpful person at the LTSA who atleast could provide accident history of a certain road/intersection and he actually wanted a copy of the report I had filled out for the police. :niceone:

the LTSA report had one other bike crash identical to mine, and I have this guys details, but no others involving bikes at that precise spot, although there have been a few cars slide there too by the looks of it.
So I will write my letter to the council but I dont think I'll involve a lawyer... unless it happens again! :angry2:

duckman
5th August 2003, 16:31
Sorry to hear about your bike Duke. I dropped mine on one side and took the panel to reflections and they did an amazing job. You can't tell it's been binned.

I reckon you should go for the councils throat. make out like you know the full history and have all the names and addresses of people who have had accidents at that spot. Then suggest that 20/20, Holmes or Pam corkery is interested in your story. See how long it takes for them to pay up then....:angry2:

Kokopelli
9th August 2003, 20:25
Two years ago I watched my bike slide ahead of me on the Greville road roundabout. Overbreaked due to driver ahead of me getting confused and hitting the breaks for no reason, while I was watching out for traffic on the left. That, and the fact that I was nearly scratiching the pegs at the time. Only minor damage, thank god. All The Gear All The Time. :o I suppose that makes me experienced, but not smarter:(

Coldkiwi
11th August 2003, 12:34
wise words.. at least you've learned!

Duke of Rogan
9th September 2003, 15:26
finally got my bike back today!
(it was ready on Friday but I was away down the South Island for a few days)
Its looking mint now, just waiting on my new front guard to arrive.

I must say that Reflections do a great job, but I'm glad I wasn't paying for it (although my insurance premium will go up)
will be giving it a good clean tonight, as I haven't washed it since the spill.
the damn council hasn't got back to me (apart from a form letter) yet, but I notice they have repainted the lines and arrows on Greville Road, but its still a filthy track.

Spectrum loaned me a worn out '89 CBR1000F to use while waiting too, and even though it was a piece of shit I was grateful.
What a difference mine felt this morning after riding that!

so hopefully I'll be seeing a few of you on the road soon. :cool:

Lou Girardin
9th September 2003, 16:45
Bugger! I know just how you feel. Larry at Reflections is good to deal with, he's doing my bike now. Brett at Spectrum is also good.
Maybe we should start burning those diesel splling 4wd pieces of crap like they do in the US.
Lou

bikerboy
9th September 2003, 19:14
Way to go D of R.:banana:

Look forward to seeing you on some of the next rides.:)

I hope that new guard is a gorgeous new carbon number !:eek:

Lee Rusty
10th September 2003, 08:22
Glad to hear you are back on your wheels

Should I look forward to that call in the near future.

Lee

Dave
10th September 2003, 10:56
Maybe we should start burning those diesel splling 4wd pieces of crap like they do in the US.
Hard words, but i think you'll find its the heavy trucks going in and out of the landfill that are spilling the diesel- not the four wheel drives at all.
Good courtesy for spectrums to lend you a bike, They are responsible for producing some very good repairs.(mine included)

Duke of Rogan
10th September 2003, 11:53
Originally posted by bikerboy
Way to go D of R.:banana:

Look forward to seeing you on some of the next rides.:)

I hope that new guard is a gorgeous new carbon number !:eek:

indeed it is, hopefully arrives before weekend.
any tips on maintaining C/F?

and I'll defiantely be calling you Lee for a quick lesson.

Lou Girardin
10th September 2003, 16:14
You're probably right Dave, but it'd be a shame not to vent some vitriol on 4wd owners.

Dave
11th September 2003, 10:37
Im just a bit sensative cos i spend my time when not racing driving around in my 4wd.or my van,or my car but before you all bag me- how many of you were at cold kiwi-I WAS

Lou Girardin
11th September 2003, 16:29
You'd be one of the exceptions, you need 4wd to get out of Kaukapakapa when the river floods.
Lou:D

Dave
12th September 2003, 10:50
Been there, done that-about 4 times/year.
cool to watch though. specially the night someone tried to take honda prelude through and got washed off the road into the neighbours paddock!