PDA

View Full Version : No air, no money - Sat's ride

Macstar
26th August 2007, 11:30
Hey guys

Thanks for Sat ride. That was my first UOA ride, 5 years of studying at the place and I never even knew there was a biker club! Anyway, I was the guy on the Rf carrying a passenger. Thanks to Nish and the other two guys that stayed back after I got a puncture (at the most Northern part of the ride i.e. as far away from Akl as you can get!). The towee charged me $180 back to Kaiwaka (about 20km) - but unfortunately my tyre had been slit i.e. it deflated in about 10 seconds and couldn't be repaired (the steel radials had also been severed). Mt tyre was only about 3-4 weeks old and over $300 worth too.

I had two options: Hitch a ride back to Akls and come back next week, or pay $390 F$%N bucks for an after hours tyre from the local (and closed) Suzuki store. The F^&%er made me remove my wheel and put it back on too cause he didn't want to get his hands dirty...

So yeah, $570 and we were on our way again - but I didn't touch in to Aucks til 7.30pm, missing the Mt Eden Motorcycle sale - not that it mattered much cause I had spent all of my money anyway.

Apart from sharing my misfortunes and making myself known to you guys, there were two other reasons I'm posting:

1. You guys got any overnighters planned? There's the Cold Kiwi next weekend? Rotovegas is a great town and ride (if you take the coast).

2. This summer (after I turn in my thesis) and after your guy's exams - I'm planning a North and South Is tour for a couple of weeks. Anyone keen, or planning something similar?

Sweet.

Isaac

Squiggles
26th August 2007, 12:16
ello, bad luck with the tyre, kim got a screw in his rear, probably at the same place :angry: bugger about the towee, we should try and strike a deal with the AA, i've got their adventurer card, i think its about 160 a year and if i break down more than a hundred k's from home they'll come pick up my bike, take it to a repair place and put me up for a night, closer than 100k's and they'll just take the bike to my place. Tis good, i used 2 of my 3 free tows last year :shutup:

with some +50's i'd be keen on a bit of night riding, i dont find the tl's lights to be as good as my old gsxr's

did the south island last xmas, bloody brilliant tho watch the west coast roads on the tyres, i think i'll be doing some of the north this xmas :sunny:

klyong82
26th August 2007, 16:31
Hey guys

The towee charged me $180 back to Kaiwaka (about 20km) - but unfortunately my tyre had been slit i.e. it deflated in about 10 seconds and couldn't be repaired (the steel radials had also been severed). Mt tyre was only about 3-4 weeks old and over $300 worth too.

I had two options: Hitch a ride back to Akls and come back next week, or pay $390 F$%N bucks for an after hours tyre from the local (and closed) Suzuki store. The F^&%er made me remove my wheel and put it back on too cause he didn't want to get his hands dirty...

So yeah, $570 and we were on our way again - but I didn't touch in to Aucks til 7.30pm, missing the Mt Eden Motorcycle sale - not that it mattered much cause I had spent all of my money anyway.

Apart from sharing my misfortunes and making myself known to you guys, there were two other reasons I'm posting:

1. You guys got any overnighters planned? There's the Cold Kiwi next weekend? Rotovegas is a great town and ride (if you take the coast).

2. This summer (after I turn in my thesis) and after your guy's exams - I'm planning a North and South Is tour for a couple of weeks. Anyone keen, or planning something similar?

Sweet.

Isaac

Sorry about your misfortune. I was still able to ride my fireblade back to Auckland with a bloody screw in my rear. If you all did not hear. I almost binned my bike as I was trying to lean at a bend and somehow I did not have any traction. Bloody screw caused it all i think. Ewen saw the whole thing.

I got my tyre patched today at Cycletreads for $30. It still has about 2000km's of tread left. What the heck $390 for a rear!! bloody hell What shop is this? Name and shame!!...

Cycletreads are having Cold Kiwi specials. 120/70/17 & 180/55/17 Michelin Pilot Sports $399 fitted, Pilot Road $450, Metzlers M3 $560 & M1 $399. Get in quick guys.

Keep me inform about the summer break ride North and South Island. Anyone know where to buy L-brackets for a 929 fireblade? Expensive brand new.

klyong82
26th August 2007, 16:38
ello, bad luck with the tyre, kim got a screw in his rear, probably at the same place :angry: bugger about the towee, we should try and strike a deal with the AA, i've got their adventurer card, i think its about 160 a year and if i break down more than a hundred k's from home they'll come pick up my bike, take it to a repair place and put me up for a night, closer than 100k's and they'll just take the bike to my place. Tis good, i used 2 of my 3 free tows last year :shutup:

If you are with Kiwibike Insurance they have one plan that include roadside assistants. Good rates too. Hmm...I second on the idea about getting a roadside cover perhaps for the club.

Macstar
26th August 2007, 17:00
$160 for the ultimate roadside package - I'm sold! Especially if I do a NZ tour later this year.

I reckon those Northerners must lace the roads with shrapnell on the weekends for unsuspecting out of towners - then get their tow trucks and tyre stores ready...

Kim, I'd be keen to have a decent burn with you and Dimitri once I get my rear suspension sussed out - RF is a bit wobbly through the corners at the mo. Be good to see the TL in action too.

Macstar
26th August 2007, 17:07
P.S. Shop was Kaiwaka Suzuki. In their defense it was about 5pm on a Sat and the store was actually closed, (store owner left his home to drop the tyre off to me). So I was grateful through clenchted teeth for him dropping off the tyre - just annoyed with the overall expense of the whole thing... I had saved up $600 for a second hand Ohlins rear - and now that cash bes alls gones:crybaby:

Jahdafario
26th August 2007, 17:11
Hi Guys,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune too Isaac, I am really quite gutted that I didn't just stop, instead I looked at Nish directing me to continue, I have bloody AA Plus, and the tow back to Auckland would have been free, aswell as a lift back in either a courtesy car or whatever, so that is really crappy I didn't get to use it cos I just signed up 2 days prior for AA Plus and it could have saved you heaps.

Anyway, yes my first proper group trip and I really enjoyed myself. My poor lil VTR rang its nuts off yesterday and will run its nuts off everytime I take it on a trip..hehe

Okay, so heres some pics, cheers,

klyong82
26th August 2007, 17:37
Kim, I'd be keen to have a decent burn with you and Dimitri once I get my rear suspension sussed out - RF is a bit wobbly through the corners at the mo. Be good to see the TL in action too.

I need decent tyres too for my bike then we can go for that decent burn. My Contiforce don't grip as well as Diablos I think. Went to Cycletreads and the guy I think the owner was telling me you have a super-sports bike and you need sports tyres and not this piece of touring sh** tyre.

Stephen and Nish on their TL and ZX7R are good on bends and corners too. :2thumbsup You should see them in action next ride.

Macstar
26th August 2007, 17:56
Hi Guys,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune too Isaac, I am really quite gutted that I didn't just stop, instead I looked at Nish directing me to continue, I have bloody AA Plus, and the tow back to Auckland would have been free, aswell as a lift back in either a courtesy car or whatever, so that is really crappy I didn't get to use it cos I just signed up 2 days prior for AA Plus and it could have saved you heaps.

Anyway, yes my first proper group trip and I really enjoyed myself. My poor lil VTR rang its nuts off yesterday and will run its nuts off everytime I take it on a trip..hehe

Okay, so heres some pics, cheers,

Sheeeeez man, ah well. I wouldn't have thought its transferable between vehicles, but I guess it goes by the license holder. I'm gonna join anyway. Were you on the blue VTR?

bomma
26th August 2007, 20:52

:shit: boy do i feel like a dick coz the first thing i asked as soon as we all pulled over was "is anyone an AA member"

sori isaac

oh and wont be able to make any of the rides over summer as ill be in india till mid jan

ill be missin all the dry cloudless summer riding :crybaby:

carbacca
26th August 2007, 20:53
AA covers the person, regardless of vehicle. as long as the member makes the call and is at the vehicle to show card/member number when the help comes its free.

HungusMaximist
26th August 2007, 21:40
Hey guys

but unfortunately my tyre had been slit i.e. it deflated in about 10 seconds and couldn't be repaired

:shit: boy do i feel like a dick coz the first thing i asked as soon as we all pulled over was "is anyone an AA member"

Hey bro, Ewen here man, the dude with the black GSX750F.

It's was nice meeting you yesterday man, but fuck, what a soul sapping situation with your tires going bung and towiee charge. :shit:

Just on the note of the towiee, was it a AA towiee or what?

By the sound of the tremendous cost, I am guessing none of yous had AA support. Couple of us waiting at Mangawhai did have it but we didn't know what the heck was going as our calls wasn't getting through to you guys.

I didn't really know what the situation was until next stop, I think Stephen gave us an update.

But for good measures next time, we got to sort out a plan for this kinda of shit. Grab the details of all the members who has AA and have it organized into some sort of emergency plan, so you can use their AA card details when you can't get hold of them. Or even better, get AA.

I don't really know how AA works for motorbikes as I haven't got into this situation before, but I am guessing there's a charge for rural areas.

On the other hand there's heaps of KB'ers with Ute's and they're more than happy to come pick up a stranded biker for no charge (maybe a box of beer but they do it because the sake of doing a good deed). There's a actually a post somewhere in the forum where you can grab details off these good chums. :yes:

Hope everything has worked out for ya, and see you again in the next ride! :sunny:

HungusMaximist
26th August 2007, 21:42
with some +50's i'd be keen on a bit of night riding, i dont find the tl's lights to be as good as my old gsxr's

did the south island last xmas, bloody brilliant tho watch the west coast roads on the tyres, i think i'll be doing some of the north this xmas :sunny:

Stephen, I got some Narava +50's lying around that you can try, if it's the right model you can have them. :)

Give me a PM.

bomma
26th August 2007, 21:51
do what vespas do and sling a spare 180 on the side of your bike from now on :lol:

Macstar
26th August 2007, 21:52
Heya Ewan, cheers mate.

Yeah I think its official, next ride we all get the ride leader's mbl number (who will know which members on the current ride have an AA membership). Then no one will be in the dark, or if anyone gets lost too etc they can get in touch.

bomma
26th August 2007, 22:15
Heya Ewan, cheers mate.

Yeah I think its official, next ride we all get the ride leader's mbl number (who will know which members on the current ride have an AA membership). Then no one will be in the dark, or if anyone gets lost too etc they can get in touch.

thats a really good idea, we'll incorporate it into our "start of ride" announcements

was happy to see that most people heard what we said about staggered riding, riding within their comfort zone and taking their own lines in corners etc.

good to see that we came away with no casualties

Jahdafario
27th August 2007, 11:59
Sheeeeez man, ah well. I wouldn't have thought its transferable between vehicles, but I guess it goes by the license holder. I'm gonna join anyway. Were you on the blue VTR?

Yeah mate I was on the blue VTR, and it covers any family and friends and anyone that I'm with at the time, and its coming up 10 years soon as member, so it will be unlimited callouts for free soon...!!!

Anyway, yes, we should make sure we know from the start that anyone with AA membership is known, in case of future mishaps.

Hey R6 Fulla, I have your wheelie vid. Its pretty mean, and the sound is insane! 6meg, email addy to send?

klyong82
27th August 2007, 12:25
Yeah mate I was on the blue VTR, and it covers any family and friends and anyone that I'm with at the time, and its coming up 10 years soon as member, so it will be unlimited callouts for free soon...!!!

Anyway, yes, we should make sure we know from the start that anyone with AA membership is known, in case of future mishaps.

Oh cool i am your friend now gimme my free tow service...

bomma
27th August 2007, 14:36
I got a bloody puncture too!!!

it just took till today for the rear to go flat!!! bloody hell that road up to waipu is ruthless

klyong82
27th August 2007, 14:44
I got a bloody puncture too!!!

it just took till today for the rear to go flat!!! bloody hell that road up to waipu is ruthless

Shucks bro. ruthless is the word.I should check my boots if there ware nails. Might have been when we stopped at the side of the road.

I just got my insurance with Kiwibike sorted. It comes with roadside assistaNces-free tow and my insurance included trackday cover... woohooo.....Feel a lot safer now.

Macstar
27th August 2007, 14:49
I'm telling you, 3 punctures from 20 ish riders is pretty unheard of in my books. As I said, I reckon the tow and tyre businesses must have been a bit slow up in Northland lately...

bomma
27th August 2007, 14:55
I'm telling you, 3 punctures from 20 ish riders is pretty unheard of in my books. As I said, I reckon the tow and tyre businesses must have been a bit slow up in Northland lately...

hahaha wudnt be surprised aye...how convenient and nice of the guy running the suzuki store to come all the way back to da shop from home to sell you a new tyre

Squiggles
30th August 2007, 01:39
lets not take the gorge route this weekend, seems the workers along there arent picking up after themselves, perhaps cut in to waipu off SH1 then back out how we came if we're eating lunch there?

klyong82
30th August 2007, 09:11
lets not take the gorge route this weekend, seems the workers along there arent picking up after themselves, perhaps cut in to waipu off SH1 then back out how we came if we're eating lunch there?

We stopping at the caltex again for lunch ? haha that lady attendant will be pissed to see all our bikes parked at the entrance again haha:sweatdrop

Yeah sounds like a good idea. Take it a little easy too as the cops will probably be all over the road.

Hanne
30th August 2007, 09:56

In the actual waipu township there looked like there were a few nice places to eat. Might be an idea to stop off there for food this time (as opposed to $15 for one fish at waipu cove, or cloned burgers from McDonalds :sick: again)
I saw one place with pizzas that looked quite good.

Also, I agree with the 'avoiding the gorge' part!
3 punctures, uneven surfaces....
:Police::Police::Police:
:P

PS but there is a really cool lolly machine at that caltex, you put in 20c and twist and open a chute and it puts jafas into your bag. Yum!
(If you don't like jafas, the mint lollies are 50c :P)