PDA

View Full Version : Brake Fluid

Magua
3rd October 2004, 16:17
I was starting to worry about my level of brake fluid, the window which I use to see the level left is all clouded over, so I opened up the little box on the handlebar and a lot poured out. Where can I buy some more and what can I use to clean the inside of the little brake fluid box?

jazbug5
3rd October 2004, 16:37
Funny you should post this..

The wonderful McCool helped me change mine today. No doubt someone much, much more proficient than I will post something pretty soon, but..
go clean the stuff off everything NOW!
It's like paint stripper.. you do not wants it anywhere near anything remotely painty.
You may also now have bubbles through your brake cables, as air must not be introduced to the lower part of the unit. Pretty tricky to sort out, from what McCool was telling me today.
It needs to be fed through in a controlled way, and gradually replaced with fresh stuff, but not be emptied at any point, becausd of the dreaded air bubbles. I think sorting this will probably be a two person job.
Anyway, good luck, and no doubt heaps of advice will appear here soon, but please go clean your bike asap!

R6_kid
3rd October 2004, 16:44
i can help you out if you like. I think i went to GIS with you...
I got a nice little contraption from brittain that helps bleed brakes, says its a one man operation, but i say definitely two. Give us a text some time and i'll give you a hand, i got loads of brake fluid too. 0272532246

kerryg
4th October 2004, 14:49
I was starting to worry about my level of brake fluid, the window which I use to see the level left is all clouded over, so I opened up the little box on the handlebar and a lot poured out. Where can I buy some more and what can I use to clean the inside of the little brake fluid box?

Wot he said about getting it on your paint!

Simple job Magua. All you need is some fresh brake fluid (buy the DOT 4), about a metre of 1/4" PVC tubing, a jam jar or similar and little spanner (I find a ring spanner best). Take the lid off your master-cylinder and (if you can) suck out most of the old fluid (it cuts down on bleeding time). I use on old dishwashing liquid bottle but any squeezy-type bottle will probably do. On your callipers there will be two nipples probably with rubber caps on them (or not...as the case may be). You attach one end of the PVC tubing to one nipple and the other goes into the jam jar (put some brake fluid in the jar so that the end of the tube in submerged in fluid) and crack the nipple open (that's a counter-clockwise rotation, about half a turn) and while its open you squeeze the brake lever to the handlebar and hold it there while you re-tighten the the nipple. And repeat until air stops coming out into the jam jar and then continue until nice clean new fluid is coming out. You must NOT let the fluid in the master cylinder run out so keep a constant eye on it and top it up as soon as it starts getting near to the bottom (you may need to do this several times). Then do the other nipple (much quicker/easier this time), then move to the other calliper and repeat. DO NOT let brake fluid get onto your brake pads or rotors.

kerryg
4th October 2004, 15:20
Wot he said about getting it on your paint!

Simple job Magua. All you need is some fresh brake fluid (buy the DOT 4), about a metre of 1/4" PVC tubing, a jam jar or similar and little spanner (I find a ring spanner best). Take the lid off your master-cylinder and (if you can) suck out most of the old fluid (it cuts down on bleeding time). I use on old dishwashing liquid bottle but any squeezy-type bottle will probably do. On your callipers there will be two nipples probably with rubber caps on them (or not...as the case may be). You attach one end of the PVC tubing to one nipple and the other goes into the jam jar (put some brake fluid in the jar so that the end of the tube in submerged in fluid) and crack the nipple open (that's a counter-clockwise rotation, about half a turn) and while its open you squeeze the brake lever to the handlebar and hold it there while you re-tighten the the nipple. And repeat until air stops coming out into the jam jar and then continue until nice clean new fluid is coming out. You must NOT let the fluid in the master cylinder run out so keep a constant eye on it and top it up as soon as it starts getting near to the bottom (you may need to do this several times). Then do the other nipple (much quicker/easier this time), then move to the other calliper and repeat. DO NOT let brake fluid get onto your brake pads or rotors.

Sheesh I just realised all you wanted to know was where to buy some brake fluid and how to clean your m/c reservoir and instead I gave you a long -winded spiel...SORRY. Brake fluid at any bike shop, decent service station, Repco etc etc. Avoid DOT5 unless you're already running it. And cleaning youir reservoir. I dunno. Lots of rags? Cotton buds? Don't use any liquid other than brake fluid to clean it though

AMPS
5th October 2004, 07:25
I use DOT 5.1. It's a good compromise between high temp performance and not being excessively moisture absorbent. You can use brake cleaning aerosols to clean brake components.
Lou

The Pastor
5th October 2004, 21:11
i can help you out if you like. I think i went to GIS with you...
I got a nice little contraption from brittain that helps bleed brakes, says its a one man operation, but i say definitely two. Give us a text some time and i'll give you a hand, i got loads of brake fluid too. 0272532246

Gareth! You still got big ears? haha its scott I ran into you at the westlake ball!