PDA

View Full Version : Server Upgrade (done)

SpankMe
27th August 2007, 16:51
I've just ordered a new faster server as the current one is struggling to cope with the demand placed on it. Hopefully we will be running on the new server before the end of the week. There should be a 60-90 min outage when I do the transfer. I will keep you informed.

Yep, we've come a long way from running on a 166Mhz laptop with 80MB memory. :)

Current server:
Intel Celeron D 2.4GHz
2GB RAM
160GB IDE Hard Drive

New server:
Pentium 4 (Prescott) 2.8GHz
2GB DDRAM
160GB SATA Hard Drive

http://www.meganetserve.com/

chanceyy
27th August 2007, 16:56
Awesome news Spank :D

Maha
27th August 2007, 17:01
Looking forward to that Spank...:yes:

tri boy
27th August 2007, 17:02
Spank to the rescue.:woohoo::headbang::D:D:first:

robertydog
27th August 2007, 19:47
That will get things moving. Thanks Spank:first:

SpankMe
28th August 2007, 11:39
Setting up new server now.

Joni
28th August 2007, 11:54
When do you expect the down time to be? Today?

SpankMe
28th August 2007, 12:00
Maybe tomorrow night.

Rhino
28th August 2007, 12:08
Hi Spankme,

The new box should help things along :) I was just wondering what O/S will it be running?

SpankMe
28th August 2007, 12:20
Fedora fc7

rwh
28th August 2007, 20:33
New server:
Pentium 4 (Prescott) 2.8GHz
2GB DDRAM
160GB SATA Hard Drive

http://www.meganetserve.com/

Would a few more regular donations help upgrade that to RAID (ie add another SATA disk) and possibly avoid a repeat of the recent crash?

Richard

SpankMe
28th August 2007, 23:44
Would a few more regular donations help upgrade that to RAID (ie add another SATA disk) and possibly avoid a repeat of the recent crash?

Richard

Another 160GB drive would be $30US/month. Not worth it really. Hard drives rarely fail.

janno
29th August 2007, 06:00
Nice and fast this morning at 6am! :rockon:

Kendog
29th August 2007, 06:05
Nice and fast this morning at 6am! :rockon:

Yep, this is the quickest I have seen it for a while now.

kevfromcoro
29th August 2007, 06:09
iam runing sweer as
back to speed

Kendog
29th August 2007, 06:47
iam runing sweer as
back to speed

I'm not exactly sure what that means, but it's slowing down a little again for me.
Some helpful funds are on the way soon from the Kendog's.

janno
29th August 2007, 08:14
Bugger. Going slow as a sloth again. Must be when everyone's on at the same time. You all bugger off now, ya hear? :angry:

NO wait! No one to talk to . . .

xwhatsit
29th August 2007, 11:57
Reeaaaaalllly slow again. Same as before; will sit there for ages `Waiting for kiwibiker.co.nz...', but once it gets going it cracks along at a very good speed.

Surely it's a configuration issue, not a matter of slow hardware? After all, it was coping far, far better on slower hardware before, with the same load?

Virago
29th August 2007, 12:40
Spank is working on it - patience people...:msn-wink:

Goblin
29th August 2007, 12:47
If I'm on the home page and I'm waiting for whatever I've clicked on to load, I like to hover the little hand with the finger on the "Nice Butts" when they are on the random image gallery. That finger fits so well on some of those pics. :laugh: Am I the only one who does this?:mellow:

fireball
29th August 2007, 12:55
If I'm on the home page and I'm waiting for whatever I've clicked on to load, I like to hover the little hand with the finger on the "Nice Butts" when they are on the random image gallery. That finger fits so well on some of those pics. :laugh: Am I the only one who does this?:mellow:

does she smile and wave back from the free rub?

Goblin
29th August 2007, 13:01
does she smile and wave back from the free rub?Nah...ungreatful eh! :rolleyes:

SpankMe
29th August 2007, 13:35
The new server is mostly setup. Just the final transfer needs to be done which I will do tonight.

You can check out the new server if ya want.

www.kiwibiker.zyns.com
remember this is NOT the live site yet. Anything you post there will be lost.

robertydog
29th August 2007, 14:31
Unbelievably fast i reckon. Well worth it Spank

johnnyflash
29th August 2007, 16:24
Yep lightening fast Spankme, but then there are only 2 online at this point in time, hopefully it will perform the same when 100 users are online :niceone:

Hitcher
29th August 2007, 18:27
I wouldn't go as far as describing it as "lightning" fast, but it's certainly considerably brisker than a couple of days ago. Good work, Spank.

johnnyflash
29th August 2007, 18:33
Yep, its not quite as quick now with a few more users as it was with only two users on, so could you all just log out while I do some serious surfing here :laugh:
Seriously tho, good work Spankme, its much better...

Angusdog
29th August 2007, 18:43
Ooo, lovely and fast now - thanks for your hard work.

janno
29th August 2007, 18:58
Yippeee!

I'm flying about with the greatest of ease . . .

Fairly timely screen changes now Spank. Thanks.

Krusti
29th August 2007, 18:59
Yeah but the site is still full of wankers............:laugh::nya:

Well done Spank........:woohoo:

janno
29th August 2007, 19:04
Yeah but the site is still full of wankers............:laugh::nya:

Well done Spank........:woohoo:

Well, yes, actually that would be true. After being newly single for two weeks I'm afraid I'd have to say I now belong to the "don't do that, you'll go blind" group. :blink:

nadroj
29th August 2007, 19:15

What does it smell like afterwards?

Hitcher
29th August 2007, 19:19
Yeah but the site is still full of wankers

Some of us would prefer to be described as "sexually self-contained".

Maha
29th August 2007, 19:22

Well now ya not...they say '' Everyday, try something that scares you''...so here goes....:yes:

Goblin
29th August 2007, 19:53
Well, yes, actually that would be true. After being newly single for two weeks I'm afraid I'd have to say I now belong to the "don't do that, you'll go blind" group. :blink:Yeah...sex is like air...not important until you're not getting any.:yes:

What does it smell like afterwards?*Sniffs finger* Oooh it smells like steak!:shit:

Well now ya not...they say '' Everyday, try something that scares you''...so here goes....:yes:Hehehe! Yay!! I'm not alone anymore!:sunny::sunny:

janno
29th August 2007, 20:07
Actually it's not politically correct to call us wankers anymore.

We are OWNER OPERATORS. :woohoo: :drool:

And whoopee! Is this site fast as the fastest fasty fast thing now!

Hopefully the shit stirring will start up again - it was damned hard work to make smartarse comments when it took five minutes to load.

Made a swift riposte somewhat tortuous . . .

Daffyd
29th August 2007, 21:17
Yup, much better. Good work, Spankme.

Maha
29th August 2007, 21:20
What a bastard...i cant go make a coffee in between pages loading....:niceone:

Skunk
29th August 2007, 21:46
Better than the last few days... but I still think it was fastest in November 2002.

Kendog
30th August 2007, 17:31
Better than the last few days... but I still think it was fastest in November 2002.

Have you not noticed how things get slower as they get older :whistle:

Cheers Spank, working much better now.

babyblade250rr
30th August 2007, 17:32
great work spank, my dsl is now performing as it should!!!

Mom
30th August 2007, 17:45
I wouldn't go as far as describing it as "lightning" fast, but it's certainly considerably brisker than a couple of days ago. Good work, Spank.

I agree! Thanks Spank, I appreciate the work that you have had to do with KB over the past couple of weeks.

merv
30th August 2007, 19:43
Going well for me so far - good work Spank.

SpankMe
31st August 2007, 19:12
Thanks guys. I think I have finally finished the last of the server setup tasks. I have updated the server details thread (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=15827) with the current stats. All seems to be running quite nicely now.

Would also like to thank those who have donated to help with the increased running costs :niceone: