PDA

View Full Version : Where to dump old engine oil?

HungusMaximist
27th August 2007, 17:20
Hey just like to know where do you guys dump your engine oil?

I use to have a garage down the road who takes my old oil and chuck it away from me. Since they have moved, I am wondering who I can take it to.

I reckon, most garage would accept it for free. :yes:

I am gonna run a search here and also on the city council pages.

Cheers.

HungusMaximist
27th August 2007, 17:22
Just on the note of engine oil, when you guys do an oil change, do you change the air filter too as apart of your maintenance schedule?

Also, any of yous use a product called 'engine flush' to wash away the crap before putting the new oil in?

twinkle
27th August 2007, 17:25
your local dump/transfer station will probably take it for free, they do at the waitakere one and the one on patiki road.

klyong82
27th August 2007, 17:44
Hey just like to know where do you guys dump your engine oil?

I use to have a garage down the road who takes my old oil and chuck it away from me. Since they have moved, I am wondering who I can take it to.

I reckon, most garage would accept it for free. :yes:

I am gonna run a search here and also on the city council pages.

Cheers.

I take mine to the BP at Abbotts Way. They have a tank just behind the service garage. I just empty it there.

Air filter? No I just clean it unless it is really dirty. AN air filter will last 30,000km before it need replacement.

carbacca
27th August 2007, 17:48
some gas stations have a collection tank for oil, shell on corner campbell-great south road used to have a tank but i havent checked for ages. otherwise the hazmobile around auckland will take that as well as old batteries. or get friendly with your local garage/mechanic.

HungusMaximist
27th August 2007, 17:51
or get friendly with your local garage/mechanic.

Yep, you know it best when it comes to those things. :yes:

Steam
27th August 2007, 17:53
Off topic, but there's a carpentry workshop in Dunedin that is (or was last time I went) heated by burning waste oil in a turbo-assisted pot-belly. The potbelly gets red-hot, and heats the whole cavernous shed/barn even in the middle of winter.
I heard he got complaints from neighbours (dense clouds of black smoke) so he was thinking about making it into a ultra-wetback, and heating about 10x 44-gallon drums of water up and doing most of the actual oil burning at night, then switching to timber offcuts in the day.
Probably it's highly illegal to burn oil in a suburban environment, but man it works well.

Hitcher
27th August 2007, 18:45
Burning timber offcuts is more environmentally unfriendly than burning waste oil. If the timber has been treated it contains a vast array of heavy metals. Stuff like MDF board contains formaldehyde and a bunch of other carcinogens. The environmental/health problems lie with both the stack emissions and the ash.

James Deuce
27th August 2007, 19:52
Tip it down the drain. Screw the dolphins, they're eating our fish!

Usarka
27th August 2007, 19:58
put it in a container and leave it on the forecourt at the local bp after hours. the fuckers are on prepay so will be too scared to chase you down the road and then it's up to them to dispose properly.

mbazza
27th August 2007, 20:00

You leave them dolphin alone, Jim! They are full of their own Omega 3 oil! :angry2: Cheers.

tri boy
27th August 2007, 22:49
Mix it into Kahlua and Cointreau. Supple on the palate, and makes your poos slip out ya arse.:devil2:

HungusMaximist
28th August 2007, 08:43
Mix it into Kahlua and Cointreau. Supple on the palate, and makes your poos slip out ya arse.:devil2:

Um.... Thanks...

Marmoot
28th August 2007, 09:15

Brilliant! Can always blame the Chinese anyway

Kwaka14
28th August 2007, 09:22
I was told NEVER to use an engine flush on anything with a wet clutch as it potentially eats away at clutch fibres, If you change oil regularly and the filter too there should never be an issue.....

Marmoot
28th August 2007, 09:40
I never heard about the engine flush problem.

I do know that engine oil additives (Low Friction coeficient enhancements) can cause clutch slippages though, so this might be what you're referring to?

xwhatsit
28th August 2007, 12:48
I wouldn't worry about flushing the oil with some special crap. Far more important just to change it regularly.

If you really want to make sure you have as much nice clean oil as you can in there, after you drain the oil, start pouring new oil in (with the sump plug still out). When the oil coming out turns from dark old oil to nice golden stuff then you can put the plug back in and start filling up the sump.

I do high kilometres and change oil every 2000kms. I have all these milk bottles lined up in my garage in one corner :yes:; when the Hazmobile guys come around I get rid of it in one shot.

Coldrider
28th August 2007, 15:52
The local refuse transfer station may have a collection point for it.

Don't feed it to the dolphins, and eels are slippery enough already!

Squiggles
31st August 2007, 00:15
i thought that if they sold it they had to accept it as well

Duc
4th September 2007, 14:18
Some boat marinas have a drum for oil disposal.

classic zed
17th September 2007, 13:38
I have a 1,000 litre waste oil container in the workshop if anyone needs to dispose of oil, Im in Whangaparaoa so fairly handy for the Shore and Hibiscus Coast

sunhuntin
17th September 2007, 14:25
all those microscopic metal filings :eek5:

you must be tougher than you look :dodge:

and easy way to get peirced....

dunno about old oil. might ask the boss when i get to work [should have left by now, but cant be arsed!] most refuse places should have somewhere to take it.

don rocard
17th September 2007, 16:15
I know that this is slightly off topic but may be of interest.During the dark ages of the 19 60s I had an interesting discussion with an old engineer who told me he had successfully cleaned used oil by soaking a natural fibre rope in the oil until it was saturated and then syphoning to a lower container.This of course took a little time but all the nasties and solids remained behind and as he so rightly said,oil does not wear out it only becomes contaminated with combustion and metal.:mobile::mobile:

RidingHard
24th September 2007, 22:24
that is interesting.....wonder if the oil would really be "clean"; how would you cleanse the oil of combustion effects? heating/possibly burning etc. anyone else heard of this before?

sanchez
26th September 2007, 10:59
I know that this is slightly off topic but may be of interest.During the dark ages of the 19 60s I had an interesting discussion with an old engineer who told me he had successfully cleaned used oil by soaking a natural fibre rope in the oil until it was saturated and then syphoning to a lower container.This of course took a little time but all the nasties and solids remained behind and as he so rightly said,oil does not wear out it only becomes contaminated with combustion and metal.:mobile::mobile:

Mabye it didnt in the 60's, but modern oil has all kinds of chemicals and detergents in it that wear out, I dont think the rope would fix it.

Coldrider
26th September 2007, 11:04
The stock oil does not breakdown, just the additives, and the oil gets contaminated.
When the cost of oil goes astronomic, re-refining will become fashionable again.

crazefox
26th September 2007, 11:45
Dump the oil down the drain

Hitcher
26th September 2007, 12:28

Only lazy wankers would even consider such an act.

koba
26th September 2007, 12:56

Oil floats on water too.

Stupid Stupid :spanking:

crazefox
26th September 2007, 13:41
Only lazy wankers would even consider such an act.

come on mate only joking geeeeeezzzzzz

Atomic
27th September 2007, 15:13
I wouldn't worry about flushing the oil with some special crap. Far more important just to change it regularly.

If you really want to make sure you have as much nice clean oil as you can in there, after you drain the oil, start pouring new oil in (with the sump plug still out). When the oil coming out turns from dark old oil to nice golden stuff then you can put the plug back in and start filling up the sump.

I do high kilometres and change oil every 2000kms. I have all these milk bottles lined up in my garage in one corner :yes:; when the Hazmobile guys come around I get rid of it in one shot.

or even better, drain oil, start engine and hold at redline for several minutes till you have drained every drop. fit sump plug and fill with repco 30w30

xwhatsit
27th September 2007, 15:41
or even better, drain oil, start engine and hold at redline for several minutes till you have drained every drop. fit sump plug and fill with repco 30w30

Yes. I'm sure that my Haynes manual recommends running my engine at red-line with no oil too.

avgas
27th September 2007, 15:59
I have all these milk bottles lined up in my garage in one corner
Your coffee must taste like shit :)