PDA

View Full Version : Measure twice cut once

Macstar
28th August 2007, 16:03
Hey

I have a fat-as tail on my Rf 900 and let's face it, time on my hands. I was thinking of trimming the overhang on the tail to open up the view to the rear wheel from the side (without exposing the coolant overflow box etc) i.e. take a few inches off. I thought it might also make my bike look a bit sleeker and racer... (student, can't afford an actual sleeker / racer bike).

Anyway, if I use a fine tooth hand saw / hack saw, would there be any risk of the plastic fairing cracking? What would be the best tool for the job?

Cheers.

Goblin
28th August 2007, 16:31
Here's what Eman did with his...http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=20547

Macstar
28th August 2007, 16:47
Eman's defintely looked sweet, but probably too much mucking around (skills required) and cost for me...

NinjaNanna
28th August 2007, 16:55
Mate that looks like a mint condition RF, personally I think you'd be crazy to mod it.

Its only speculation on my part but I'd expect it to cost 200% more than you expected it to at the start. And I'd expect the value of your bike to drop by 30% the moment you do a Non Standard mod like that - and that's if you do a good job of it.

Plus I think you need to think like the potential buyer or bike shop when you go to sell/trade it, "How the hell do I do anything with that if I bin or something breaks."

Another consideration should be whether the insurance companies will still insure it after being modified, cause you got to remember they have to put it back how it was if it was in an accident.

Oh and one other thing is I hear the modding is addictive once you start, are you sure you want to open that can of worms?

Macstar
29th August 2007, 08:58
Ah the voice of reason... I can't argue with any of those points except:

1. Just planning a little trim of the overhang on the sides of the tail, not a full blown GSXR conversion
2. The RF as pictured got that way through some simple customisations i.e. a new paint scheme, vinyal on windshield, exhaust etc.

AND NO ONE HAS TOLD ME YET WHAT THE BEST WAY / TOOL TO CUT A FAIRING IS!!

imdying
29th August 2007, 09:08
I think you'd be crazy to mod it.

I'd expect it to cost 200% more than you expected it to at the start. And I'd expect the value of your bike to drop by 30% the moment you do a Non Standard mod like that - and that's if you do a good job of it.
Nuff said.

AND NO ONE HAS TOLD ME YET WHAT THE BEST WAY / TOOL TO CUT A FAIRING IS!!Get a dremel with a cut off wheel, and remove the excess, then put a sanding band on it, and clean it up, then get some 80 grit and a sanding block, and final shape it, then progressively clean up the edge with lighter and lighter sandpaper, working your way to 320mm. Then send it to the painter.