PDA

View Full Version : Team Mella yella race roundup

FROSTY
4th October 2004, 06:49
For those not wanting to read through a big long re4port.
I won a race -Pre89 junior
The zxr750 ran like a dog -6 chris6 and Posh got it sorted for me
i Crashed the zxr750 doing (if it was an insurance job) about 3000 woth of damage
I posted a personal best on the 400 of 1.12 22
Race results in pre89/junior pre82 ar mixed up -Im listed as a pre82 entry
Thanks a million to 6 chris 6 who was my pits bitch for the day
Congrats to TS for dropping right away into my previous best lap times
Shows his tallent and i hope to a degree the potential mella yella has still to show.
Need new tyres

Its a story in 3 parts -so 3 sorta reports -1 short and one for each bike.

Devil
4th October 2004, 07:39
D'oh!
You crashed because I left, thats it isnt it?

James Deuce
4th October 2004, 08:37
For those not wanting to read through a big long re4port.
I won a race -Pre89 junior

Fantastic!!

Looking forward to the report.

Posh Tourer :P
4th October 2004, 09:06
Did the ZXR run well after a bit of a blat frosty?

FROSTY
4th October 2004, 12:38
I arrived at Pukekohe early to grab a decent pit for me and the other KB guys.
Sighned on first and got the bikes up for scrutineering.
Good job too because in my haste to race prep the zxr750 I'd emptied the radiator filler tank but forgot to flush the antifreeze out of the radiator.
I got that drama sorted and after heated discussions about pr89 grid positions I found I was going to be racing my750 off the front of the grid.
First practice on the 750 -and it was running like a total dog.
Great
Called up for my first race and I must say I was shit scared.
Its been a heck of a long time since i've ridden a big bike in anger and I've inly ridden this bike for 5 minutes in practice.To add to my misery it was running very unpredictably.
I got a pretty good start all things concidered but right away I was battling a sick bike.
Diving into Jennian-(fast right hander) I found myself riding a 375cc twin
and the bike lurched down as it suddenly lost power.
Into the esses I backed off-Only to have a sudden burst of power when I diddn't need it.
Into castrol and I had 750cc again only to have it taken away from me just as I needed it exiting the corner.This time it was a BIG lurch down onto my knee -franticly pushing to stop the brute falling onto me.
Down the back straight and It hinted at 750 for awile there only to drop off again
Grabbing a handfull of brakes i discovered that brakes that havent been used for 2 years are basicly useless and had all the feel of kissing through a sheet of glass.
Up and over the hill I got a taste of the bikes potential as it rewarded a steady throttle by taking me over the hill smoothly with no dramas.
After fighting the brute for a couple of laps and scaring myself silly doing it I decided enough was enough and basicly cruised to the line.
Funnily enough when I slowed down and rode at 3/4 throttle steadily it was sorta -kinda ok to ride.
predictably I came dead last and did an all time ever worst lap time of 1.24.4
which compared to the 1.09's the guys up racing with was almost dangerously slow.
I wheeled the brute into the pits and basicly wrote it off for the day
But thanks to Posh tourer and 6 Chris 6 who stripped out the carbs and replaced the coils for me I made it out for the last race of the day.
Well what a diffence -The warm up lap had me sniffing the back wheel of one of the guys in my class.
I got a good start and settled in to start learning the bike.
Heavier than the 400 by a lot it takes more muscling into corners.
The brakes at the moment are -well shocking but I know thats just a matter of a clean up and new pads.
I was just getting to gripps with the bike when I stuffed it all up.
Entering castrol I went down as many gears as i'd just been doing on my 400
just as I was starting to apex.
The bike said -No way mate and high sided with a bang -throwing me clear
it then bounced over into a low side. then slid up and over the "ripple" strip
I came down on my hip hands and elbow and followed the bike into the gravel trap.
Its all repairable so no worries.
The good news was that 4 laps into riding the bike I was down to 1.13's
with heaps of room to loose time. The handling was superb.

Cajun
4th October 2004, 13:47
I arrived at Pukekohe early to grab a decent pit for me and the other KB guys.
Sighned on first and got the bikes up for scrutineering.
Good job too because in my haste to race prep the zxr750 I'd emptied the radiator filler tank but forgot to flush the antifreeze out of the radiator.
I got that drama sorted and after heated discussions about pr89 grid positions I found I was going to be racing my750 off the front of the grid.
First practice on the 750 -and it was running like a total dog.
Great
Called up for my first race and I must say I was shit scared.
Its been a heck of a long time since i've ridden a big bike in anger and I've inly ridden this bike for 5 minutes in practice.To add to my misery it was running very unpredictably.
I got a pretty good start all things concidered but right away I was battling a sick bike.
Diving into Jennian-(fast right hander) I found myself riding a 375cc twin
and the bike lurched down as it suddenly lost power.
Into the esses I backed off-Only to have a sudden burst of power when I diddn't need it.
Into castrol and I had 750cc again only to have it taken away from me just as I needed it exiting the corner.This time it was a BIG lurch down onto my knee -franticly pushing to stop the brute falling onto me.
Down the back straight and It hinted at 750 for awile there only to drop off again
Grabbing a handfull of brakes i discovered that brakes that havent been used for 2 years are basicly useless and had all the feel of kissing through a sheet of glass.
Up and over the hill I got a taste of the bikes potential as it rewarded a steady throttle by taking me over the hill smoothly with no dramas.
After fighting the brute for a couple of laps and scaring myself silly doing it I decided enough was enough and basicly cruised to the line.
Funnily enough when I slowed down and rode at 3/4 throttle steadily it was sorta -kinda ok to ride.
predictably I came dead last and did an all time ever worst lap time of 1.24.4
which compared to the 1.09's the guys up racing with was almost dangerously slow.
I wheeled the brute into the pits and basicly wrote it off for the day
But thanks to Posh tourer and 6 Chris 6 who stripped out the carbs and replaced the coils for me I made it out for the last race of the day.
Well what a diffence -The warm up lap had me sniffing the back wheel of one of the guys in my class.
I got a good start and settled in to start learning the bike.
Heavier than the 400 by a lot it takes more muscling into corners.
The brakes at the moment are -well shocking but I know thats just a matter of a clean up and new pads.
I was just getting to gripps with the bike when I stuffed it all up.
Entering castrol I went down as many gears as i'd just been doing on my 400
just as I was starting to apex.
The bike said -No way mate and high sided with a bang -throwing me clear
it then bounced over into a low side. then slid up and over the "ripple" strip
I came down on my hip hands and elbow and followed the bike into the gravel trap.
Its all repairable so no worries.
The good news was that 4 laps into riding the bike I was down to 1.13's
with heaps of room to loose time. The handling was superb.

Nice work XJ
now all ya need to do is mella yella it dc:<

4th October 2004, 17:11
I take it we fixed it well then - there was a hell of a lot of rust in those float bowls.....

FROSTY
4th October 2004, 22:46
This will read like a different race report. but what the hey.
After fighting the brute In race one I raced through the pits to jump onto Mella yella for race one in F3.
Screaming out in the warm up lap I was amazes by how light mella yella suddely felt.And how underpowered -
I must admit I really diddn't have my head together for the first race
I fluffed the start and just couldn't settle into the groove. I just couldnt focus on the task at hand. Funny thing though -somwhere during that race I made peace with my uncle. I saw a 400 rider cartwheel into the bales on the hill which totally freaked me out.
I did sustain my previous best lap time of 1.13. everybody else had clearly improved because I came in in a lowly 14th place.
I diddn't really get into the groove untill I snuck into pre89 junior on mella yella in the third round of the day.
Something just went bang inside my head. I got a fantastic start and refused to give ground into jennian. I picked my way through a pretty packed group of riders to exit onto the start finish straight somewhere about midfeild.
I found myself in a three way tussle with a guy on a 125 and another zxr400
I got the guy on the 125 on the back straight and I thought I was gonna get the 400 guy -Only to have The 125 guy dive under me over the hill.
dave cole on the old manx was mixing it up with us for awile on the old manx.
Goddarn it that guys soo fast and smooth.
4 laps in and I pulled a (for me anyhoo) do or die move
The 125 guy and the 400 guy took typical wide lines into the hairpin and I came in tighter and Braked later. I was still under brakes as i laid it over into the hairpin and gassed it hard.Lack of drive there has been a problem for me so I cluthched it out 2 stroke style.
I somehow managed to pull a full bike lenth lead on them and I guess I slowly pulled away from them. I'm still not sure where I finished as they had me entered in post classics and I was fourth in post classics so result to be confirmed once its sorted. I think im second or third. I posted a personal best of 1.12. 99 so I wass over the moon.
F3 race and I got another good start slipping up a couple of places and charging into the middle of the screaming hoard of two strokes. I was determined that i wouldnt let KK and Hoon out of my sight and I managed that for most of the race having a great view of their little tussle.
Funny thing is it seems I came in 13th in that race yet I still did a 1.12.65
so it just shows how fast the other guys are getting.
My race of the day was the final pre89 junior.
With the result of the last race I found I was on the front row of the grid.
I got a fantastic start (well for me anyways)
For a lap i was tied up with the other zxr400 guy but I was focussed on the two guys in front of me. 3 laps in and i has passed the second place guy and was chasing down the guy in front. bit by bit I would reel him in round the corners -getting tantilising close only to have him pull several bike lenths ahead down the straights.I got a sniff up the inside of him into jennian and stayed there right around castrol -only to have him pull away again down the back straight.We were then circulating on the last lap so I thought No Bloody way mate and left braking to way past my comfort zone. I got better drive than him exiting the hairpin but I just couldnt get more than a wheel alongside him and he pulled away across the line to finish
A personal best result of race finish second and first in class and a best lap time of 1.12.38. I wasw totallly bouncing off the walls. It turns out my nemmisis was riding a tz350 -2 stroke race bike.
For the last race of the day I' had to sprint back all the way from castrol after my 750 crash -Get my gear checked and get out on the track.
the rest of the feild was already half a lap into the race before I even got started but I thought -heck i might still get a point or two.
Unfortunately I was flogging a dead horse -i was just too sore to move on the bike propperly and for the first time I got lapped by the first two riders.
I only posted a 1.16 and 16th place.
All In all a bloody great day.
Ive decided that at my current riding skill level It is just not a great idea to race 2 so dissimilar bikes. Ill fix the 750 up as a straight road bike and focus on F3 and Pre89
I gotta say a million thanks to 6chris6 who dealt with all my shit all day.
And congratulations to all the other KB racers that are just soo much faster than me now--im gonna have to get more practice in.

Slim
5th October 2004, 00:52
I saw a 400 rider cartwheel into the bales on the hill which totally freaked me out.
That was Jim Fulton. :wacko: One day he's going to admit that at 50-*cough* he's too old for this lark & leave it to the younger guys, or at least back off a bit & have fun instead of keeping the "win or die" attitude. :cool2:

FROSTY
5th October 2004, 07:33
Yea slim --and he wasn;t worried about the damage hed done--Just how his missus would deal with him maybee missin bathhurst lol

Slim
5th October 2004, 22:53
Yea slim --and he wasn;t worried about the damage hed done--Just how his missus would deal with him maybee missin bathhurst lol
Bathurst? They've got a week or more's holiday in Aussie & are going to the MotoGP - I'm sure she'd be more worried about that! :lol:

Kwaka-Kid
6th October 2004, 05:08
hha yeha exactly what slim said!

Hes hard as nails old jimbo eh slim? didnt care about seeing no doc' at the track untill they were calling him over the PA.

phillip island here i come is about all he was thinking.

Slim
6th October 2004, 05:26
hha yeha exactly what slim said!

He's hard as nails old jimbo eh slim? didnt care about seeing no doc' at the track untill they were calling him over the PA.

phillip island here i come is about all he was thinking.
Apparently Ma took him to the Tauranga hospital on Sunday night to have his wounds cleaned out properly (ouch!) and re-bandaged. Then Ma had to take him back again on Monday morning, but I haven't heard what that 2nd visit was for yet! :bye:

FROSTY
6th October 2004, 07:20
Apparently Ma took him to the Tauranga hospital on Sunday night to have his wounds cleaned out properly (ouch!) and re-bandaged. Then Ma had to take him back again on Monday morning, but I haven't heard what that 2nd visit was for yet! :bye:
Probably tor trauma damage caused by her beating him up
"stuff up my holiday would ya :"

6th October 2004, 08:43
Piccies of the meet are now in the Gallery under Biker Events>2004>AMCC Round 2

Motu
6th October 2004, 14:20
An twasn't a Manx Norton,it was a G50 Matchless with a Quaife gearbox,and probably a lot more.

FROSTY
6th October 2004, 20:59
I tell ya what it sounded amazing.

7th October 2004, 08:25
An twasn't a Manx Norton,it was a G50 Matchless with a Quaife gearbox,and probably a lot more.

The one with the gold-coloured engine? Beyoodiful... I have a pic of it in the gallery

FROSTY
7th October 2004, 09:37
It looks so damb sexy and the sound is outa this world . Mind you I had a close up view of it as he slowly pulled up and past me on the top of the hill

Motu
7th October 2004, 10:20
The one with the gold-coloured engine? Beyoodiful... I have a pic of it in the gallery

The G50 was a 500cc,the AJS 7R was the 350cc version - these were more popular,an over the counter race bike....they were called ''The Boy Racer''

One of the biggest thrills in my life was getting to take a 7R down pit lane - running on alky with a huge megaphone the bike 8 strokes when off cam...BANG BANG BANG,then....WAAAAAAHHHHH as it hits the 'cam',with a 4 speed box they are hugely overgeared in first,so as you slowly feed in the clutch it drops off cam again...BANG BANG BANG,slip the clutch to get on cam again,this happens a couple of times until you can get the clutch fully home.With the motor just sitting on the start of it's power band you rocket down pit lane at what feels like 100mph! - I'm just pit crew so no helmet and just shoes.Those old singles are awesome machines - and not too slow either.

The G50 on sunday seemed to run very nicely and with a 5 speed box would be very riderable.I wonder if with modern parts and better tuning skill they have got around 'megaphonitis'

Who was that going up and down pit lane on the Aeramachi single,he did it forever,but I never saw him race...

FROSTY
7th October 2004, 11:32
I dunno who it was mate--I was havin enough problems of my own with the 750