PDA

View Full Version : Sunday ride

therealvw
30th August 2007, 12:20
HI. just to let the forum know what a great little ride I had on Sunday.

Went south from the North Shore, took Highway 1 to junction 466. BTW, Great chap on a GSXR 750(i think) pulled alongside and gave us a thumbs up. I was just pootling along at the statutory speed. Scrubbing in some new tyres too.
ANYHOO, pulled off at 466, and headed for Ararimu. Nice roads down there. Some cool curves. Took the junction on Ararimu road and then veered left at the junction of Ararimu road and Dunn, continuing on Ararimu Road. THen after about 5 k I carried straight on the road as it changed into Gelling Road. At the bottom of the hill, at a T junction I turned left (onto Hunua Road)and continued to and through Hunua, then headed straight through the nice gorge down there,. SOME EXCELLENT bends, and the scenerey is great. THis brings you out at a industrial area, South of Papakura. Carry on and follow the road round to tright . This then joins the Settlement Road. I turned left ehre and carried on back to the motorway junction back to Auckland and the North shore. All in all a nice ride. Excellent scenery and the roads are of good quality too. Was very quiet down there. 10 ish on a Sunday morning.

Maha
30th August 2007, 16:26
HI. just to let the forum know what a great little ride I had on Sunday.

Went south from the North Shore, took Highway 1 to junction 466. BTW, Great chap on a GSXR 750(i think) pulled alongside and gave us a thumbs up. I was just pootling along at the statutory speed. Scrubbing in some new tyres too.
ANYHOO, pulled off at 466, and headed for Ararimu. Nice roads down there. Some cool curves. Took the junction on Ararimu road and then veered left at the junction of Ararimu road and Dunn, continuing on Ararimu Road. THen after about 5 k I carried straight on the road as it changed into Gelling Road. At the bottom of the hill, at a T junction I turned left (onto Hunua Road)and continued to and through Hunua, then headed straight through the nice gorge down there,. SOME EXCELLENT bends, and the scenerey is great. THis brings you out at a industrial area, South of Papakura. Carry on and follow the road round to tright . This then joins the Settlement Road. I turned left ehre and carried on back to the motorway junction back to Auckland and the North shore. All in all a nice ride. Excellent scenery and the roads are of good quality too. Was very quiet down there. 10 ish on a Sunday morning.

Thats the way mate, i have been on some roads in the last few weeks that i had never ben on before. Great to get out here and have alook around, found an awesome road up north that would rock you world if you ever get a chance...Mark

Bass
31st August 2007, 08:58
I turned left here and carried on back to the motorway junction back to Auckland and the North shore. 10 ish on a Sunday morning.

You went right past my front gate then. Calling in wouldn't have done you any good however because I was up north with Maha - see below

Thats the way mate, i have been on some roads in the last few weeks that i had never been on before. Great to get out here and have al ook around, found an awesome road up north that would rock your world if you ever get a chance...Mark

Completely agree.
However I think that we are going to have to work on your education - Mangamuka Gorge and Rawene (ferry) to Mangamuka next I think. This will need a bit of planning though. It's possible in one day, but it's a long one - especially 2 up. More relaxed as part of a 2 day outing which takes in the Waipoua forest and much of where we went on Sunday.

therealvw
31st August 2007, 14:49
Excellent guys! I was just blown away with the scenery. Reminded me of the lake district and Cumbria back in England(less traffic though).
Will check out the Mangamuka gorge online and see if I can get out and about up there sometime.
My mate, on his R1 and me on the Sv went up to Wellesford a month or two back, then across to Helensville, then back towards North shore along the coast roads though down through MurraysBay. Was a good ride. Weather stayed fine too. ALWAYS a bonus that!
Have a great weekend guys. I might not see you out and about as it's fathers day so off out to see the rellies!
BUT, have a good one!

sonic_nz
15th September 2007, 14:51
I just did that ride today... you're quite right. It's bloody beautiful :D

therealvw
25th September 2007, 12:35
I just did that ride today... you're quite right. It's bloody beautiful :D

You did the Ararimu ride? Or the one the other guys said?

I hope to get out and about soon on mine. Been to work a couple times on her, but I hoe to get out for a proper jaunt soon.

sonic_nz
16th October 2007, 15:04
You did the Ararimu ride? Or the one the other guys said?

I hope to get out and about soon on mine. Been to work a couple times on her, but I hoe to get out for a proper jaunt soon.

Yeah it was the Ararimu ride.. its amazing to think that scenery like that exists only a few kms from Auckland..