PDA

View Full Version : Computer fixer please

FROSTY
1st September 2007, 10:48
Hey folks my Computer has died.
Im looking for a computer tech who can get it running again.
NOT looking for a freebee I'd just prefer to put the money into a KBers pocket
The puter power supply fires up but the computer itself doesn't
If it helps it doesn't make the "beep" noise as it tries to start.
There are other issues as well but

jrandom
1st September 2007, 10:51
You can buy a new one for a few hundred dollars, you know. Probably your best bet. Then just get someone to copy across what you had stored on the old one, and you're all set. There's very little point in resurrecting old slow computers one replacement part at a time.

NighthawkNZ
1st September 2007, 10:55
You can buy a new one for a few hundred dollars, you know. Probably your best bet. Then just get someone to copy across what you had stored on the old one, and you're all set. There's very little point in resurrecting old slow computers one replacement part at a time.

I agree...

RC1
1st September 2007, 11:05
julie told me when i had trouble that stranger was the computer wizz around your way if this helps

Mr Merde
1st September 2007, 11:06
i agree with the above two statements.

After 17 years in the business i have noticed that it is far more economical to replace than fix, unless it is something real simple like a vidoe card blown. unlike the early years when the price of the whole was much greater.

Take this opportunity to upgrade, get one of the boys to copy over all your data and reinstall your software.

Merde

jrandom
1st September 2007, 11:11
I wouldn't mind giving you a hand one of these evenings, Frosty, if you want to do a bit of setting up on a new PC, transferring data etc.

I used to be all about speccing and building boxes from the discount PC parts stores, but to be honest, there's no point now.

You can get a brand new Dell PC, including MS software licences, 19" LCD monitor and one-year on-site service warranty, delivered to your doorstep for $1050 inc GST.

That'd be my recommendation. Sometimes saving a penny just isn't worth the hassle. Time is money, too.

FROSTY
1st September 2007, 12:13
Im none too fussed how its done.I sorta thought the problem was something simple but hey my thing is motobikes not puters

scracha
1st September 2007, 15:35
Im none too fussed how its done.I sorta thought the problem was something simple but hey my thing is motobikes not puters

Probably worth checking internal cables (seems obvious) are all in correctly as sometimes the pixies make them come loose. No beep is normally very bad news and not normally something common like fooked RAM. Cheapo DELL or warehouse Lenovo are your best bets. And FFS don't buy an Acer or Mercury.

Solarwind
1st September 2007, 16:05
I fix these things for a living...

The most common cause of a computer powering up but not going any further is dust building up inside it. To fix that, take off the side panel (for most computer it's just held on with a couple of screws, sometimes it's a bit more involved to get inside it though), take out the memory sticks and clean off the dust, and clean the dust out of the memory slots. Then put them back in. There are a few precautions you need to take though: leave the power plugged into the back of the computer, but turn off the power switch on the back (or just turn the power off at the mains), then touch an unpainted metal part of the case to drain off any static electricity that has built up around your body. If you unplug the memory (or plug it back in) while the computer is on, or has power still supplied to it (even if it's off) you could short out the motherboard. If this is all a bit complicated then you should take it to a computer shop to get them to clean it out, it's a 5 minute job.

A more terminal cause of it not starting up is swollen capacitors on the motherboard, if that has happened you may as well ditch it and buy a new computer, unless you can find a compatible motherboard on TradeMe. It's next to impossible to get replacement motherboards for computers more than a few years old these days.

Or it could just be a faulty powersupply, and those cost like fifty bucks. If you've had a powercut recently, try unplugging the power from the back of the computer, wait a few minutes, then plug it back in, that often gets it going.

TRAINING WHEELS
1st September 2007, 16:08
Hey folks my Computer has died.
Im looking for a computer tech who can get it running again.
NOT looking for a freebee I'd just prefer to put the money into a KBers pocket
The puter power supply fires up but the computer itself doesn't
If it helps it doesn't make the "beep" noise as it tries to start.
There are other issues as well but

Get a hold of Big Dog 0210671734 he is a geek :yes::yes: and he knowes it :shutup:

SpankMe
1st September 2007, 16:32
:Oops: Shit, just remembered I was supposed to come around and look at it for you. Sorry FROSTY.

FROSTY
1st September 2007, 17:22
SIN BIN FOR SPANK?????
nahh kidding -Stranger um "announced" he was at my place and had my puter.
From what he tells me my er motherboard is bent n twisted like a pretzel
In other words "shes fooked"
Turns out the person that did the last "upgrade" on my puter had no Idea what they were doing
Sounds like someone shoehorning a busa motor into a peewee 50 frame and wondering why it all craps out.
I've left the whole sorry plot up to stranger.