PDA

View Full Version : Bike thefts around UofA

nzcanadian
1st September 2007, 13:40
Hi all, how prevalent is MC theft around uni? I'd like to hear of any personal experiences. What security measures have you taken to safeguard your bike? Is there any chance of ground anchors or similar being installed along the Symonds Street parking areas?
Personally, I just use the built-in steering lock but then, a GN will never be stolen (right?).
Take care,
Dan

ehab2weelr
1st September 2007, 15:50
i have a chaine lock that i use to lock my bike. eather to somthin or around my wheel and over the seat. a padlock is also a good idea. just mack sure that it would be a long job for the theaf :devil2:. they wana get what they want fast. so the more locks the beter.
also insurance is a good idea.:niceone:

skidMark
1st September 2007, 16:50
my best sugestion is find somebody in your class with a bike and lock your bikes together with a decent oxford one...noyt just a cuttable chain...60 bucks frok mt eden mc's.

but in reality they are stealing mint condition sportsbikes....

seems to be the trend ive spotted.

ie zxr400's a mint red n black one got nicked a while back, then cbr with mint tyga kit...an rsv 1000 i have seen all these bikes in the past and they were impecable condition.... and sought after bikes of high value, as far as i know it's roughly one per weelk being stolen, but last week alone was 3.

they must be sending them overseas, or have a big garage. where they are storing them all.

i think if something was put on ther news thier neighbours would put it together and they would get busted.

this is assuming just one group of people are doing it.

with the amount of people outside uni it takes balls to take a bike in daylight,

but it saying all this the zxr 400 that got stolen did not even have his steerimng lock on so was kind of asking for it.

motoGP
1st September 2007, 19:47
It’s getting a bit hectic at the moment. There’s an RS250 with no lower fairings that I worry about getting taxed.

Most of the bikes I’ve seen have only (guessing) had a steering lock. I reckon a big deterrent would be a highly visible chain/lock, just to let them know it’ll be a bit more arduous than the bike next door.

Ground anchors would be brilliant; it’s probably the only real solution.

A lot of the passers by probably think nothing of it, it’s so brazen to just pull up next to a bike and pick it up that it almost seems normal. Kind of like the guy who picked up an LCD TV and walked out of Harvey Norman, the staff all thought he must own it because nobody would have the balls to just carry one out.

skidMark
1st September 2007, 20:04
what if you all chipped in for a security guard???

$1 a day each or something for peace of mind?

and somebody is walking round all day keeping an eye on them.

i would do it but i'm probably too scrawny lol

breakaway
1st September 2007, 20:12
Locks would be useless wouldn't they? As I've heard that the thieves just grab the bike, load it into a ute / truck and fuck off. This can be done even if one or both wheels are immobililzed.

Best bet is to get something that starts screaming its head off when it's touched ;)

motoGP
1st September 2007, 20:23
Best bet is to get something that starts screaming its head off when it's touched ;)

Yeah exactly! Or something huge that attaches your bike to the earth.

ehab2weelr
1st September 2007, 20:37
y dont we just plant our bikes in the ground???
we need a good idea something that could work.
we can get a long steel pipe mount each end in the ground, and have bikes chaine there rear wheel round it. its gana be a bitch to move the bike anywhere without geting pepoles atention that way.

and we then jup the theafes :2guns: :bash:
:clap:

Squiggles
1st September 2007, 21:59
im looking at possibly a small group order of these: http://www.motorbikealarm.co.uk/buy_now.html
Standard Cylone C11 Alarm. $64.99US inc. Insured First Class Shipping
Talking Cylone C11 Alarm. $69.99US inc. Insured First Class Shipping

or
http://www.motorbikealarm.co.uk/advalrm.html
Magic Advanced Alarm. $145.99US inc. Insured First Class Shipping

they seem to have a few more features than the steelmate's for just a few more $$
(http://www.steel-mate.com/index1.html : The 886 was the model kneescraper here on KB had for about $75NZ i think) Disco Dan posted about the ones i have looked into :)

I dont really need one for the GN, but might get one for the tl.... :yes:

skidMark
1st September 2007, 22:28
In all honesty guys if they have the balls to take them in broad daylight they arnt going to give a toss about an alarm, think about the amount of foot traffic through the area and yet they still do it...

ive been keeping my eye on a white van dark tint windows with guys with fluero vests on...wrote down thier rego also, so i'm looking into that, as theres guys that go around casing houses in bright fluero vrest to look like meter readers...

keep eyes peeled.

and i say go with ground rail anchor idea

but it would have to be solid bar or they might take to it with a saw of some sort...never underestimate a thiefs determination.

Bren
1st September 2007, 22:30

Sounds like my wife when she is in a foul mood!:laugh:

skidMark
1st September 2007, 22:32
Sounds like my wife when she is in a foul mood!:laugh:

ahahahah i wuld give u rep if i ddnt have so many infractions that the site will no longer let me.

Squiggles
1st September 2007, 22:39
unfortunately the bar idea would be unpractical from their point of view because they would need installing on the otherwise perfectly well sealed Gym side of the road... by engineering however, ya never know, that parking area has such a busted up seal its probably up for replacement soon... there something might be doable

klyong82
2nd September 2007, 00:31
I got 2 secured parking lots in the city (can't tell you where it is) and I park my car or bike there when I am in the city. There is a guard looking after the place and I just buy a pack of beer every 6 months as a token of my appreciation. Other than that I use a disc lock, kill switch and make sure it is in 1st gear. I got HISS on my bike and insurance.

But yeah a long bar would be good like the one outside the auckland city library. Perhaps you can write it as a suggestion to the uni board or campus services etc. The alarm idea is good but I won't install one as it might drain the battery when not use for a few days.

As I said in the other thread about the Xena disc lock. they have built in alarms and cost about $100 +-.

breakaway
2nd September 2007, 10:46
In all honesty guys if they have the balls to take them in broad daylight they arnt going to give a toss about an alarm, think about the amount of foot traffic through the area and yet they still do it...

Some dudes loading a bike into a truck is a lot less sus than some dudes loading a bike which is screaming it's head off into a truck.

motorbyclist
9th September 2007, 14:31
exactly what i thought; if anyone saw it happening i'm sure they'd take notice

that said, bike parking is so packed on symonds street that there'd be alarms going off all bloody day!

i'd go with the anchor, like what they have for pedal bikes, but it only needs to be a single bar well secured to the ground

skidMark
9th September 2007, 14:53
exactly what i thought; if anyone saw it happening i'm sure they'd take notice

that said, bike parking is so packed on symonds street that there'd be alarms going off all bloody day!

i'd go with the anchor, like what they have for pedal bikes, but it only needs to be a single bar well secured to the ground

agreeed but i dont think the council would do it, for the simple fact that uni students arnt exactly putting much into the economy at the moment, like the don't pay rates etc, you just want to put your vehicle there...

just stating the fact.....

but i think if you guys all chipped in for some rails etc....i think if u asked the council nicely the would give you consent to put them in.

motorbyclist
9th September 2007, 15:24
agreeed but i dont think the council would do it, for the simple fact that uni students arnt exactly putting much into the economy at the moment, like the don't pay rates etc, you just want to put your vehicle there...

just stating the fact.....

and what about all the rent, food and other crap we buy while in the city? we act to support quite a few businesses, not to mention all the money from the rates on the university buildings.

also, us riding to uni lessens the traffic load on the city's already overloaded road network, and requires a much smaller investment for parking than cars do.

then of course the benefits many of us will bestow upon the nation when we are fully qualified, plus the fact the good job = good house = high rates (dunno bout you arts students though:laugh:)

then again, politicians aren't known for their foresight....

RDJ
9th September 2007, 16:47
Sorry to read it's still going on - I had a RV90 stolen (and that little 'un was actually chained to a lampost on Symonds Street) in the very late seventies...

Next time I park a bike at Uni it's going to be a 502V8 - let 'em try and pick THAT up and load it in their ute :devil2:

More productively, I'd add my support to ground anchors being fitted for us to chain the bike to.

ehab2weelr
9th September 2007, 18:55
i have to agree with having a ground anchors instaled.
its just more trubilling to cut a cahin then just picking up a bike.

paturoa
9th September 2007, 19:09
.. not to mention all the money from the rates on the university buildings.....

good post.

...but to be pedantic, schools, uni, hospitals etc etc dont pay rates.

2wheeljunkie
9th September 2007, 19:13
ya ya another kdx200 rider..!:headbang:

2wheeljunkie
9th September 2007, 19:27
theres this chain on trademe where if you tamper with the lock or the wire bit then it sets of a 120db alarm..enuf to make the thiefs ears bleed im sure..:clap:

ehab2weelr
9th September 2007, 20:52
theres this chain on trademe where if you tamper with the lock or the wire bit then it sets of a 120db alarm..enuf to make the thiefs ears bleed im sure..:clap:

dono if thats a good thing :rolleyes:.... it might set the dogs on them...:chase:, come to think about it, its a great idea..:banana:

bomma
9th September 2007, 21:48

thats almost as loud as sharipova:2thumbsup:buggerd::2thumbsup......he might get turned on and drop the bike :lol: sounds like a gud plan

motorbyclist
9th September 2007, 23:47
good post.

...but to be pedantic, schools, uni, hospitals etc etc dont pay rates.

really? i thought seeing (assuming) as universities are not state owned they would still have to pay....

oh well, even if i'm wrong the rest still stands

cheers

skidMark
10th September 2007, 00:20
i suspect the reason nobody stops them is cus they are bloodey big and scary....which if they are lifting bikes they must be...

motorbyclist
10th September 2007, 00:24
then why not call the cops?

skidMark
10th September 2007, 04:06
Because by the time they got there the bikes long gone. and most people don't care, it's not like it's thier bike....

and u lot are uni students, shit i think i would be top of the class.

cops have better things to do, they will be using stolen plates anyways...and probably stolen vehicles with different plates too

eventually they will be caught it's only a matter of time.:Police:

ehab2weelr
10th September 2007, 08:39
big?? i dont care...it would be like some one taking ur bike and doing nothin bout it... id rather get knoked out then see my byby go.:crazy:

klyong82
10th September 2007, 10:57
I suppose the cops or poopoos are more concern in writing tickets to fill their quotas and earn more money for the police force.

klyong82
10th September 2007, 12:01

You mean this item on trickme

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Other/auction-116933415.htm

Seems to be good.

2wheeljunkie
10th September 2007, 18:08
thats why they invented helmets..to knock big guys who steal yer bikes..:lol:

nzcanadian
1st October 2007, 23:23
(repost) As a quick and cheap solution, we could run a chain/cable along the ground between the big trees over by the engineering building, and loop it around a tree at each end. Then bikes could tie up and not get stolen.

Macstar
2nd October 2007, 09:16
(repost) As a quick and cheap solution, we could run a chain/cable along the ground between the big trees over by the engineering building, and loop it around a tree at each end. Then bikes could tie up and not get stolen.

That's a good idea but I reckon the Council would be afraid to lay anything on the ground that could potentially cause someone to trip over (OSH). Even though the footpath / road in that area is covered in potholes and tree roots.

bomma
2nd October 2007, 10:05
the 2 best ideas so far seem to be:

1) share a chain with a mate and chain two bikes together...could even haf like a chain on effect, where you could have each bike chained to the two bikes beside it and just leave your mob number on your bike somewher in case one of ya needs to leave

2) park away from the road....there are plenty of buildings you can park next to and plenty of pavement around university, but just make sure your bike hugs the wall and isnt parked in the middle of the footpath or what-not

klyong82
2nd October 2007, 10:29
That's a good idea but I reckon the Council would be afraid to lay anything on the ground that could potentially cause someone to trip over (OSH). Even though the footpath / road in that area is covered in potholes and tree roots.

Imagine if one end of this long cable was free while the other was chained to a tree.....could stretch it across Symond St. :shutup: what will happen?