PDA

View Full Version : Disabled liaisons - was it??

Colapop
2nd September 2007, 08:23
The severely disabled have huge trials in their lives. They may be unable physically to do the things that able bodied people do but does that make them any less able? These people are not mentally incapacitated in any way, just not physically able. I've seen (and disputed) what I consider to be abuse of the disabled. Even hearing someone raise their voice and speak s l o w l y is something I consider to be abusive.

Stuff article (http://www.stuff.co.nz/4187460a10.html)

To those smart arses that will say somewhere in this thread "You'd think he'd have been grateful" think of it this way - if it was a woman you'd be screaming blue murder...

Skyryder
2nd September 2007, 08:43
Too early in the morning for my head to get round this one.

Skyryder

Nasty
2nd September 2007, 08:48
I think this woman is sick ... she doesn't need help .. she was in control and not being manipulated by someone who was capable ... what a perverted and cruel cretin!

janno
2nd September 2007, 09:07
Yep, I agree CP.

If you took out the sexes involved and just read it as person A, person B etc, it's a straight case of sexual abuse. That woman sounds absolutely revolting. I hope they kept the txts she sent, they sound fairly incriminating.

Poor bastard. I can't imagine something like that - being trapped in your own body and unable to stop some cretin attacking you.

And for those who might be thinking - what's he complaining about, it's sex innit? The guy has a wife already, so presumably they've got bases covered for whatever they're able to do.

Plus the caregiver may well be some hideous monstrosity . . .

riffer
2nd September 2007, 13:11
Yep. I can't help but think if the genders were reversed people would be a lot more shocked about the behaviour. :(

Skyryder
2nd September 2007, 13:30
Yep. I can't help but think if the genders were reversed people would be a lot more shocked about the behaviour. :(

Yep one of the many hypocrocies of our society between the sexes. Always a bit of the joke when a guy gets raped.

Skyyrder

Colapop
3rd September 2007, 07:59
To me this is not so much about the guilt or not (this is pre-court) of the woman in the article but more about the treatment of the disabled. There are too many people that cannot draw the distinction between the physically disabled and the mentally impaired. Having a physical disability does not mean someone is mentally impaired.

This will be a test case. Will the victim be adequately able to communicate to the courts his version of events? Will the defendant get a fair trial regardless of victim sympathies?

Just how far have we come in recognising and respecting the abilities of disabled people?

yungatart
3rd September 2007, 08:19
Just how far have we come in recognising and respecting the abilities of disabled people?

Not far enough, IMHO.
We have a loooong way to go yet.

jazbug5
3rd September 2007, 09:50
Yep one of the many hypocrocies of our society between the sexes. Always a bit of the joke when a guy gets raped.

Skyyrder

Not to me. I'm not too comfortable with assigning differing severities to different forms of rape and the victims of it, but the psychological effect on a man must be absolutely horrendous, particularly when perpetrated by another man. Why the hell is it that there is so little help for adult male victims?
Conversely, a woman will generally have a close female friend or relative she can talk to; rape is an ever present and common threat, we all have female acquaintances who have been through it, and although there's a lot of shame involved it isn't generally seen (by peers) to reflect upon the victim negatively- other than being seen as a 'victim'. There are specially geared rape units with female officers, various support organisations, phone lines, websites and reams of literature. More convictions would be nice, of course, but at least there is help there for the victim.
And for men? What is there? Not too much, I suspect.
Anyone out there know? How is this handled by the police if reported?

klingon
3rd September 2007, 10:41
Good on the guy for taking it to court. There are so many circumstances that make this situation difficult - like Jaz said it's hard enough for a guy to make an accusation of attempted rape anyway, and this guy is especially vulnerable.

With a physical disability, dignity and pride are a huge issue. Imagine suddenly having to have someone else do everything for you. And now to come out in public to tell this story...

I have huge admiration for the courage of this guy (and his wife) and I hope justice is done when it goes to court.

Skyryder
3rd September 2007, 20:11
Not to me. I'm not too comfortable with assigning differing severities to different forms of rape and the victims of it, but the psychological effect on a man must be absolutely horrendous, particularly when perpetrated by another man. Why the hell is it that there is so little help for adult male victims?
Conversely, a woman will generally have a close female friend or relative she can talk to; rape is an ever present and common threat, we all have female acquaintances who have been through it, and although there's a lot of shame involved it isn't generally seen (by peers) to reflect upon the victim negatively- other than being seen as a 'victim'. There are specially geared rape units with female officers, various support organisations, phone lines, websites and reams of literature. More convictions would be nice, of course, but at least there is help there for the victim.
And for men? What is there? Not too much, I suspect.
Anyone out there know? How is this handled by the police if reported?

I'm not in disagreement with you on this. It's just that it's a bit difficult to rape a guy with a flaccid dick. If he's got a hard on then it could be argued that it's not rape. I don't agree with that asessment but guys do make light of this for that reason.

Skyryder

PS I think there is a bit more to this that is not our in public arena. Will be interesting to see what the woman has to say on this.