PDA

View Full Version : November or March?

Joey1007
3rd September 2007, 19:27
Hi, its my first post (have been reading for a while!)

Just bought a Tiger 1050 and I'm planning a tour around the SI with my girlfriend on the back. My boss has recently put the dampers on our initial plans to travel in November, and asked me if we can go at another time.

So do we stick to our November plans, or is it worth waiting till March? Am not too bothered about a little bit of rain, but if there is a general opinion one way or the other it would be good to know!

Have been reading the ride reports of other trips to the SI but can't find a thread about the weather.

Joey

merv
3rd September 2007, 19:31
Generally March is pretty good weather wise.

98tls
3rd September 2007, 19:32

Just bought a Tiger 1050 and I'm planning a tour around the SI with my girlfriend on the back. My boss has recently put the dampers on our initial plans to travel in November, and asked me if we can go at another time.

So do we stick to our November plans, or is it worth waiting till March? Am not too bothered about a little bit of rain, but if there is a general opinion one way or the other it would be good to know!

Have been reading the ride reports of other trips to the SI but can't find a thread about the weather.

Joey Iwould wait until march myself,while the weather in november can be ok down this way anyway it can be really windy..the seasons seem to be getting later and later and the weather in march is generally very good.

Hitcher
3rd September 2007, 19:40
Do both. Then you can compare.

banditrider
3rd September 2007, 20:53

Yeah, use the November trip as practice for The Mini's Return in March...

Highlander
3rd September 2007, 20:59
Yeah, use the November trip as practice for The Mini's Return in March...

Yeah, what the Concours rider above said... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=51034

Oh, and welcome to KB.

peasea
4th September 2007, 13:55

Joey

Do what we're doing; move there. You'll save on gas and ferry crossings.

fergie
4th September 2007, 14:19
if it's anything like the north island the mainland will be ok in march,,, banditrider,,love ya website.

Paul in NZ
4th September 2007, 14:20
March.... Less wind, less rain, less people not as green but nicer light for pictures...

Coldrider
4th September 2007, 14:32
Do what we're doing; move there. You'll save on gas and ferry crossings.
I'm born & bred South Islander, I moved north for better weather & pay rates.
The weather is more settled in March, but the SI is definitely cooling down by then. You could try & get a new boss. :bash:

Blackbird
4th September 2007, 14:34
My March tour: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=52569

The weather was superb until we hit the west coast but that's a risk you have to live with at any time. A UK-based mate did his tour in late February and the weather was absolutely perfect for him.

Paul in NZ
4th September 2007, 14:35
The weather is more settled in March, but the SI is definitely cooling down by then. You could try & get a new boss. :bash:

Same here - nights are getting cooler but nice autumn days make it worth it IMHO. hey - the best time to go is when you have the opportunity... (Except xmas - too many people)... Just go when you can...

banditrider
4th September 2007, 20:53
if it's anything like the north island the mainland will be ok in march,,, banditrider,,love ya website.

Cheers mate - good to have one visitor! :niceone:

Seriously - just a bit of a hobby that shows off the main hobby!

scumdog
4th September 2007, 20:57
I would go for March for sure - and drop if if you're so inclined.

puddytat
4th September 2007, 21:52
Do it in March mate, usually the most settled weather....& I think its way warmer then than in November as it usually rains pretty consistantly down here then. I personally think that spring doesnt officially start down here till after then anyhow.The good thing about the Sth Isl is that if its shit one side of it its usually much better on the other,pays to have a flexible plan so you can change it as you go if need be

peasea
5th September 2007, 13:34

I don't need a better pay rate, what I need is less of everything; traffic especially. I'll never live in a big city again; hate it.

peasea
5th September 2007, 13:37
I would go for March for sure - and drop if if you're so inclined.

....if if.......

Fumble fingers.

duckonin
5th September 2007, 14:28
Feb or March is the go rode tandem pushbike towing trailer for two years in a row both times in November. Last November wife and I, rode from Picton to CC then on to Greymouth where it all turned to custard with plenty of snow on the top of that, bloody cold on the way to Westport and even colder getting back to Picton, took the motorbike back in late Feb stayed till mid March great weather, will be going back in 08 late Feb March again.

flyingscotsman
5th September 2007, 14:51
Welcome to KB. Nice choice of bike too. Go in Feb or Mar. Don't go in November - anyone remember the Burt Munro Rally - it was snowing on the way down the West Coast, and it blew like forty bastards for the entire week. Sounds like your boss may have done you a favour !!

Grub
5th September 2007, 14:51
My March tour: The weather was superb until we hit the west coast ...

The west coast is *always* wet :( But the winds really blow in November, March (as you're finding out) is the preferrable choice

Joey1007
5th September 2007, 19:55

Great shout, if only i could!

Thanks for the advice guys, it's much appreciated. Looks like the time to go is definatly next year then. But man, that bike is just crying out to be taken for a 'proper' ride!

Typicaly, in a slightly annoying twist of fate, the boss has granted me leave in November! I now have to explain that, well, thanks, but...

I Think we'll stick in a quick tour of the NI - maybe 5 days - at the end of Nov, then attack the SI in March.

cheers

Joey1007
5th September 2007, 19:57
Btw Blackbird, love the report - great reading!

mbazza
5th September 2007, 20:24
Go for March and enjoy yourself. Cheers. :eek:

banditrider
6th September 2007, 16:59
The west coast is *always* wet :( But the winds really blow in November, March (as you're finding out) is the preferrable choice

Not always wet - can be totally stunning. Can't let the rain put you off - it's a great ride.

Coldrider
6th September 2007, 17:11
It still a good ride no matter what time of the year it is, you take your chances weather wise on any given day, I lived in Franz Josef for two years and rain isn't too bad, only when it bounces up off the road by a metre.
Hawkes Bay appears to get wetter every year, must be the climate change thingy.

RentaTriumph
6th September 2007, 21:16
March. I took my new 1050 Tiger in February this Year and I doubt I saw one cloud over the three day trip. Through Haast and Lake Hawea there wasn't a cloud or breathe of wind. Only thing I would suggest is look at the three day weather report and choose which side of the coast you ride subject to the weather as usally one side is fine while the other is raining. I take it you will do both sides of the Island. Catlins is beautiful riding also.

5cotty
7th September 2007, 20:09
Hey There :cool:

March is generally an excellent month down here :niceone: with still days and clear skys. An additional bonus is the March Hare Rally and is worth a visit if your a rally whore like me :apint:.

We have awesome riding and scenery across most of the island but a special treat in March is a visit to the Hakataramea river by Kourau to watch the Salmon spawning and another personal favourite is the southern lakes.... On a crisp still morning they are totally awesome

I have found the best way to tour down here is to make sure if the wind is from any westerly quarter, "stick to the east" and if its from an easterly quarter "stick to the west". The trips through the passes from coast to coast are awesome and in my opinion the Arthurs is one of the best rides around. Lakes mahinapua and kineary are worth a visit as well.

We (The Wife and I) are going up North for Xmas and while I have been around up there in a cage I dont have much knowlege... Can anyone offer anything they think is worth a look? and what are the best Roads to take? we will be taking 2 weeks off so I have enough time to get to anywhere. I seem to remember the roads around the central lakes were pretty good but heaps of tourists and cages.... Anyways any advice welcome

ynot slow
7th September 2007, 21:50
What don't ya want too see lol,have a gander around Taranaki coast, must stay at least a couple of days (weeks)to see what we have here,3 different roads up the mountain to try,and whanga to see,keep an eye on the Manawatu rides thread they never stay home. Enjoy the break,look forward to seeing ya this way,bed if needed.

5cotty
8th September 2007, 09:02
LMAO Awesome "Thanks for That" (what dont ya want to see)

hmmm ... I guess when you break it down to days we're gonna need the 10 best rides we can fit in with a doc camping ground at the end of each day. I dont really want to go too far north (ie stay south of the Bombay hills) because I have been told it is pretty tropical, humid and rainy above Auckland at christmas time... The Naki sounds good.. I'll look in my "Great Escapes" book and the "New Zealand Camping Guide" and post what I think might be good. If you could give me some feedback on stuff you know about that would be great.

As for the offer of the Bed... "Thanks that is just awesome" but we usually like to set up our own wee home ;-). I would love to catch up with you for a beer and maybe a meal at a pub though ... "What do you reckon?"

Anyway I gotta split now but I'll post a couple of rides later for your feedback if thats OK?

banditrider
8th September 2007, 16:38
Don't forget to hit the East Coast too - great scenery and lots of corners!

5cotty
10th September 2007, 20:09
Well I put together enough rides to keep us out of trouble, we may or may not stick to the plan and it would be good to get some feedback on any problems or lost opportunities.
I wont worry about the South Island legs as I know it intimately, so will start from Welly.
North Island
Day 1... SH2 to masterton then SH52 to Wimbledon and back on SH2 to Napier (staying at Clive Motor Camp or a handy river)
Day 2... SH2 to Gisbourne then SH35 round the top to Opotiki (staying at DOC ground Waiaeka Gorge)
Day 3... SH2 back down towards Gisbourne Cutting back on SH30 through Murapara and Rotarua to Tauranga (Staying at Silver Birch Thermal Holiday Park or a handy river)
Day 4... SH1 through Tokoroa and Whakamaru down to Turangi and the SH4 back up through Mangatupoto to Waitomo (Staying at Waitomo Top Ten or a handy river)
Day 5... SH4? up to Hamilton, Across to Raglan and down the coast through Mokau, Ahititi and New Plymouth to Opunake (Staying at Opunake Beach Holiday Camp or a handy river)
Day 6... Across to Eltham then Stratford and Whangamomona back through Turangi and waiouru, then across to Raetihi and down to Wanganui (Staying at Wanganui Top Ten or a handy river)
Day 7... Down to Bulls, Though Palmeston North, across to Woodville and down through Pahiatua, Ekatahuna, Carterton and Featherstone to Welly and the ferry to Piction (Staying at the Wairau river)

So Whadaya reckon you North Islanders?.. any good? :Playnice:

doc
10th September 2007, 20:17
Well I put together enough rides to keep us out of trouble, we may or may not stick to the plan and it would be good to get some feedback on any problems or lost opportunities.
I wont worry about the South Island legs as I know it intimately, so will start from Welly.
North Island
Day 1... SH2 to masterton then SH52 to Wimbledon and back on SH2 to Napier (staying at Clive Motor Camp or a handy river)
Day 2... SH2 to Gisbourne then SH35 round the top to Opotiki (staying at DOC ground Waiaeka Gorge)
Day 3... SH2 back down towards Gisbourne Cutting back on SH30 through Murapara and Rotarua to Tauranga (Staying at Silver Birch Thermal Holiday Park or a handy river)
Day 4... SH1 through Tokoroa and Whakamaru down to Turangi and the SH4 back up through Mangatupoto to Waitomo (Staying at Waitomo Top Ten or a handy river)
Day 5... SH4? up to Hamilton, Across to Raglan and down the coast through Mokau, Ahititi and New Plymouth to Opunake (Staying at Opunake Beach Holiday Camp or a handy river)
Day 6... Across to Eltham then Stratford and Whangamomona back through Turangi and waiouru, then across to Raetihi and down to Wanganui (Staying at Wanganui Top Ten or a handy river)
Day 7... Down to Bulls, Though Palmeston North, across to Woodville and down through Pahiatua, Ekatahuna, Carterton and Featherstone to Welly and the ferry to Piction (Staying at the Wairau river)

So Whadaya reckon you North Islanders?.. any good? :Playnice:
Your not exactly pushing the envelope here, unless you intend to stop at every Tourist type spot. Most Kiwi's I've travelled with on bikes just want to get the furtherest they can each day. Sort of like the idea of tiki touring, but not everyday.

banditrider
10th September 2007, 20:22
Sounds ok to me - especially if you haven't done it before.

5cotty
11th September 2007, 09:37
(Doc) Hmmm .. It looks on the map like the rides will take between 3 and 4 hours (maybe a bit more if we stop along the way) which would give us time to set up our tent then give us time to check out the local sites and get to the pub for a meal and few bevy's before hitting the hay for the next day. "Thats the sort of trip I am looking for" .. Do you think that is about right??

(Banditrider).. Your right, I hav'nt done it before and I am looking forward to it.. :yes:

Thanks for the feedback :2thumbsup

peasea
11th September 2007, 14:47
(Doc) Hmmm .. It looks on the map like the rides will take between 3 and 4 hours (maybe a bit more if we stop along the way) which would give us time to set up our tent then give us time to check out the local sites and get to the pub for a meal and few bevy's before hitting the hay for the next day. "Thats the sort of trip I am looking for" .. Do you think that is about right??

(Banditrider).. Your right, I hav'nt done it before and I am looking forward to it.. :yes:

Thanks for the feedback :2thumbsup

Take your time, enjoy the scenery. The last time we went south we took so long getting to Ross from Nelson that we postponed our next stopover for 24hrs. We were cruising, stopping, taking pics, having a beer, chatting to locals. You ain't gonna get that experience going head-down/butt-up all day. Spending evenings in the local watering holes is half the fun mate. Have a good look around the Coromandel.
Looking forward to the posts when you get back.

5cotty
11th September 2007, 18:04
Take your time, enjoy the scenery. The last time we went south we took so long getting to Ross from Nelson that we postponed our next stopover for 24hrs. We were cruising, stopping, taking pics, having a beer, chatting to locals. You ain't gonna get that experience going head-down/butt-up all day. Spending evenings in the local watering holes is half the fun mate. Have a good look around the Coromandel.
Looking forward to the posts when you get back.

Sounds Like my kinda trip Peasea :niceone:

When the wife and I tour at Xmas (Always in the south in the past) we stop and do the tourist thing all the time. Having done the South 4 or 5 times we still find places we have not seen and there are always the many many interesting people we run into which make the journey awesome. I am sure we could do it another 5 times and still enjoy it like the first time :msn-wink:

banditrider
11th September 2007, 19:39
That's the story - do your own thing and enjoy!

ynot slow
11th September 2007, 19:52
Like the idea of Opunake stop,ya can walk into town from the beach about 5 mns there half an hour back when pissed lol,can't get lost though,just head towards the sea,if ya keep going next stop aussie.:beer:

5cotty
11th September 2007, 20:52
ynotslow... You must know me.. :drinknsin:

Hitcher
11th September 2007, 22:08
Does anybody else find centered text mildly irritating?

5cotty
12th September 2007, 09:39
No Worries Hitcher, "Left it is"

notasothers
25th October 2007, 17:43
If you plan on being down there for a while keep an eye on your back tyre. My workmate went down on his CBR1000 a couple of months back... went down with a new tyre came back with the canvas showing. Some of the roads are pretty unforgiving. Just make sure you budget for a new tyre just in case.

NighthawkNZ
25th October 2007, 18:03

Don't to either... SI just hit 1 million people... it getting bloody crowded down here sheese... bloody tourists :chase:

err march is usually the better weather.

cold comfort
25th October 2007, 19:16
If you plan on being down there for a while keep an eye on your back tyre. My workmate went down on his CBR1000 a couple of months back... went down with a new tyre came back with the canvas showing. Some of the roads are pretty unforgiving. Just make sure you budget for a new tyre just in case.

I'll endorse that-shredded my rear in under 3000 km. I know Bandists have a bit of a reputation for that but the roads are rough. If only Transit would cough up for concrete!

Hammer
27th October 2007, 12:11
March....see you down there......