PDA

View Full Version : New brakes coming....w00t!

disenfranchised
4th September 2007, 09:01
I found a RHS brake kit for my hyosung on eBay Australia.
The price was right and I always wanted to put a few mods on my bike, so I had to get it.
It'll be interesting to see how the extra stopping power works out. I've always thought the brakes felt a bit slow to kick in.

I've heard everyone say that modifying a 250 is a pointless exercise, cause it costs too much for what you get out of it, and makes the bike harder to sell.

But I figure more brakes is a good choice cause it might help save me from a crash.
Besides I'll probably still have the bike for years to come. I got my learners and my bike over a year ago now, and I still haven't worried about doing anything towards the restricted...so the full will be a long time coming

breakaway
4th September 2007, 10:45
RHS Brake kit? What is included in this brake kit?

You'd probably do much better with a pair of braided lines :yes:

Aa7
4th September 2007, 10:45
Cool, be sure and post up how much it improves the braking performance please. The brakes do feel fairly wierd and weak on these things. I'm sure in my travels I've seen a GT250R with twin front discs before so it would be good to see an improvement if easy, reliable and readily available :) what sort of cost was it all up including postage?

disenfranchised
4th September 2007, 10:57
RHS Brake kit? What is included in this brake kit?

Right-Hand-Side Brake kit
Basically the parts that come fitted as standard with the GT250R

You get:
RHS caliper
Brake Rotor
Pads
Master Cylinder (second one or bigger one..I'm not entirely sure)
Brake lines
All required bolts etc

Braided lines might be nice...maybe for a future upgrade....in yellow to match the bike :niceone:

disenfranchised
4th September 2007, 11:00
Cool, be sure and post up how much it improves the braking performance please. The brakes do feel fairly wierd and weak on these things. I'm sure in my travels I've seen a GT250R with twin front discs before so it would be good to see an improvement if easy, reliable and readily available :) what sort of cost was it all up including postage?

All the GT250R come with dual front dics.

Price was $199AU, shipping was $55AU, and I'll probably have to pay GST to clear customs??
So it'll be around $300 - $340NZ all up I reckon.
I think that's way cheaper than they normally are

I'd seen a kit on the korider site a while ago they were selling for $260US I think, plus shipping...back when the dollar was strong it wasn't too bad a price either.

Jeaves
4th September 2007, 18:18
nothing wrong with 250 modding :Punk: . The Zeal with be getting a caliper replacement some day....has a 320mm disc but a pissy 2 pot caliper.

disenfranchised
13th September 2007, 16:48
Parts arrived today. No customs hassles, no GST to pay etc...
Next stop bike shop!!

discotex
13th September 2007, 17:37
Make sure you let us all know what difference it makes to your stopping. It's not every day you get to compare single disc vs dual on the same bike.

R6_kid
13th September 2007, 17:50
Parts arrived today. No customs hassles, no GST to pay etc...
Next stop bike shop!!

Do it yourself mate, or bring it round to mine, i'll see what i can do. Brakes are simple!

disenfranchised
15th September 2007, 08:57
Do it yourself mate, or bring it round to mine, i'll see what i can do. Brakes are simple!

No offence, but this time round I'll be letting a proffesional mechanic do the work.
I'm a complete mechanical n00b...and when it comes to brakes, I REALLY want to know that they work right :yes:

The Stranger
15th September 2007, 09:02
I'm a complete mechanical n00b...and when it comes to brakes, I REALLY want to know that they work right :yes:

Don't worry. You'll find out soon enough.

disenfranchised
15th September 2007, 09:12

Are brake lines expensive? And are they just standard parts or do you have to get ones specifically the right length for your bike?

Would it be something else I could just get the mechanic to add when I have them fit the rotor/calipers?

disenfranchised
17th September 2007, 23:38
Brakes were fitted today.

I only had a short ride home, but overall they feel much stronger.

Before with a single disc, no matter how hard I grabbed the brakes, the bike stayed pretty level, only slowed down at a semi-reasonable pace, and always felt a bit weak.

With the second disc stopping feels much more rapid, but still stable, and in no way overpowered.
I can feel the nose diving a bit (the shop increased the front fork oil level or something to reduce nose dive too).....if I really tried I could probably achive a stoppie.

Will probably get a longer ride on the weekend to test it some more.
Supposed to be rain tomorrow too...will see how it feels in the wet then

disenfranchised
18th September 2007, 21:31
I realised today that as part of doing the work, the shop put the bars back on angled back a bit more. I makes a huge difference in comfort.

Given I'm tall and had no trouble reaching the bars before I'd never thought about getting them moved.

Couple of issues now tho.
Mirrors wont tilt up quite high enough, and levers are at the wrong angle...will have to make some adjustments.