PDA

View Full Version : Can any computer geek types help

Firefight
5th October 2004, 05:48
Okay heres the deal, despite paying Zillonz of $$$$$$$$$$$ for my daughters education in all forms Taxes and hidden extra fees including wrougts so teachers can have bloody overseas hoildays(Oh sorry, I mean extended feild trips) I am now told that I need to buy some fuckin thing called Adoby photoshop :shit: ??, which is going to cost the equivalent of 4 back tyres for my R6,... :angry2: ..

Do any of you guys have this overpriced computer thingy, that I can buy at a much reduced price, and therefore send my money to Jimmy where it should be going for a new back tyre ??

Firefight :ride:

jazbug5
5th October 2004, 05:54
Is it PC or Mac?
If it's Mac, I'll get you a copy free (and other stuff, too) so just PM me and I'll sort something out.
If it's for PC, then I believe there are sites on the internet where you can download them for free, 'shareware' type things.
Anyone else know an actual site he can check?
Good luck!

matthewt
5th October 2004, 06:08
How much was she quoted ???

The full-monty version of Photoshop retails at just over $1,200 but you can get the Academic version for about $520. There is no difference in content of the software they just offer the academic version to students/teachers.

There is also a Photoshop "elements" version which must be a reduced set of tools for academic price of $87. Not sure if she can get away with only that but it might pay to ask.

ching_ching
5th October 2004, 06:56
Does it have to be Adobe Photoshop or can she use something similar. I use PaintShop Pro myself and tis pretty good.

ching

toads
5th October 2004, 06:56
check out trademe
there's a few of them for sale here

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/listings/listings_search_results.asp?searchtype=GENERAL&searchstring=adobe+photoshop&go.x=8&go.y=7

MOTOXXX
5th October 2004, 07:14
you wanna get yourself a dc++ or similar *cough cough*
i hear its pretty low cost from there :whistle:

manuboy
5th October 2004, 07:43
If you don't get anywhere with the post above, PM me... may be able to help somehow...

Joni
5th October 2004, 07:47
If you don't get anywhere with the post above, PM me... may be able to help somehow...

Same with me - if you dont win with a used package, let me know I should be able to procure it @wholesale prices, but yeah would need to know if its PC or Mac?

Drunken Monkey
5th October 2004, 07:49
Tell me where to post a free *cough* demo *cough* version...I might have Photoshop version 7.0 on a gold coloured CD, or I might not, wink, wink...

Either that, or I could flog you one off a retail box at dealer buy = there are a lot of different sub-versions and licensing options though.
The latest I understand is Photoshop CS 8.0 (win) which is $1039.50+GST

You would be much better off even paying retail on an Education/Academic version. Dealer is about $430+GST on EDU, but I can't sell it as I'm not an authorised education reseller.

If there are any teachers here that can send a purchase order on letterhead on FF's behalf, I might be able to wrangle it for him at EDU...

aff-man
5th October 2004, 09:04
I might have a "version" as well

jrandom
5th October 2004, 09:07
Yeah, don't even think about paying out that cash, Dave, I hear about 70% of Photoshop installations around the world are (ahem) 'shared demos'.

Still, this photography crap is all your fault. You could have encouraged her into a cheap and useful hobby. Like motorcycle spannering.

Just think, she could be out in the gargre right now accumulating NCEA credits on your dirtbikes.

dhunt
5th October 2004, 09:09
Does it have to be photoshop?? A similar quality product which is free is The GIMP (www.gimp.org) It can read and write photoshop files and is commerical grade quality. Or like others said you can go the "cheap way" which would cost you a blank cd or 2 maybe.

David

jrandom
5th October 2004, 09:12
Does it have to be photoshop?? A similar quality product which is free is The GIMP (www.gimp.org)

Yeah, but a lot of her course will probably be "press this button, then that button..."

The GIMP isn't exactly user-friendly for 'puter numpties. For that matter, neither is Photoshop. She probably needs to be using the same thing as everyone else. A lack of homogeneity is to be strongly discouraged. Goodness knows, our education system might collapse if everyone just started using whatever tools they could lay their hands on.

curious george
5th October 2004, 09:16
Can she use 'the GIMP'? Does the same job, but it's freeware.
Otherwise, shouldn't the school have a version she can use?

jrandom
5th October 2004, 09:19
Otherwise, shouldn't the school have a version she can use?

Probably not.

These are the days of children being sent home because they don't turn up with their own laptop, you know.

dhunt
5th October 2004, 09:22
Probably not.

These are the days of children being sent home because they don't turn up with their own laptop, you know.
Personnally I think schools should support free software more as it is cheaper for the school and mean the parents have have it at home without as in F/F in case forking out for 4 back tyres.

jrandom
5th October 2004, 09:24
Personnally I think schools should support free software more as it is cheaper for the school and mean the parents have have it at home without as in F/F in case forking out for 4 back tyres.

Yes, but that policy would imply intelligence, research and open-mindedness on the part of our educational planners.

I'm sure they much prefer the regular free lunches and Christmas hampers from their local Microsoft sales rep.

dhunt
5th October 2004, 10:20
Yes, but that policy would imply intelligence, research and open-mindedness on the part of our educational planners.

I'm sure they much prefer the regular free lunches and Christmas hampers from their local Microsoft sales rep.
Yeah unfortuneatley that's life. :( Now if I were incharge ....

Yokai
5th October 2004, 10:59

Yeah - but to be slightly fair to Adobe, part of the problem is the licensing of gif technology. .GIF is a licensed product - so to be able to actually produce .GIF means that you need to pay someone something (I wanna say UNISYS, but I can't remember OTTOMH)

On the other hand, If she *needs* photoshop, then there are evaluation versions available for download at Adobe's site. I use Paint Shop Pro, and The Gimp and Photoshop.

I strongly disagree with piracy of software because it drives the price up for all users. Open Source is the way forward, but we all know how difficult it is for people to manage that on a day to day basis. Someone friendly is bound to have a copy somewhere...

Yokai

jrandom
5th October 2004, 11:11
Yeah - but to be slightly fair to Adobe, part of the problem is the licensing of gif technology. .GIF is a licensed product - so to be able to actually produce .GIF means that you need to pay someone something (I wanna say UNISYS, but I can't remember OTTOMH)

'Burn all GIFs', indeed.

The UNISYS and IBM GIF patents have now expired, though, so it's open slather.

I strongly disagree with piracy of software because it drives the price up for all users. Open Source is the way forward, but we all know how difficult it is for people to manage that on a day to day basis. Someone friendly is bound to have a copy somewhere...

Indeed. However, I do think that there is a difference between the commercial exploitation of pirated software, and the 'mom and pop' variety. Not to excuse the immorality of it, but the criminality of software piracy has been painted in an overly simplified light by those with a vested financial interest.

In fact, I was rather annoyed at an advertisement equating movie piracy with stealing cars and handbags that I had to sit through (after paying $14.50 for a ticket!) before the movie the last time I went to the cinema.

Information wants to be free. Why shouldn't we unlock its door?

Drunken Monkey
5th October 2004, 11:20
Yokai

Granted the hyposcrisy of the software industry isn't as bad as the music industry, but if you've ever worked for a software house or two, licensing is money for nothing. Hell, Microsoft's products are pirated left right and centre, and they still managed to become the most valuable software house in the world. For $350, I'd probably just buy MS Office, but not for $1400.

In this case whole classrooms of people are being forced to purchase a product which they may only use for 1 semester. Software has little- or no- resale value (unless you be a fool), as it usually takes less than 18 months for a product to become superceeded, and less than 30 months for the software to not be supported at all.

Yes, educational institutes _should_ be obligated to push open source, but JRandom isn't kidding about those free lunches and Christmas hampers. Too many kick-backs thrown in by the commercial sector for schools to turn the contracts down (used to be involved in Educational support and resale as well a few years ago)

Bah, I'm just jealous now as my cert has expired and I sub for a company that no longer has MS partner/reseller status - I don't get free lunches and Xmas hampers courtesy of MS anymore either :(

dhunt
5th October 2004, 11:28
I strongly disagree with piracy of software because it drives the price up for all users. Yokai
I actually sort of disagree with you on this as many students use pirated software and become familar/used to use particular software such that when they get out into the market place that is what they want to use, which actually helps the software companies to some degree, but the flip side is if everyone did it, the software companies would be the ones to loose out.

dhunt
5th October 2004, 11:37
Yes, educational institutes _should_ be obligated to push open source, but JRandom isn't kidding about those free lunches and Christmas hampers. Too many kick-backs thrown in by the commercial sector for schools to turn the contracts down (used to be involved in Educational support and resale as well a few years ago
This is getting better than it was. There are governments (not nz) that are pushing opensource for use in the government and schools etc and some have decided to replace x thousand computers running linux and opensource software.

I know in some case where schools etc have decided to go with linux and then at the last minute micro$oft has given them really cheap prices on software and is some cases they have decided to take them up on the offer but what happens next time round etc ...

Yokai
5th October 2004, 11:46
Indeed. However, I do think that there is a difference between the commercial exploitation of pirated software, and the 'mom and pop' variety. Not to excuse the immorality of it, but the criminality of software piracy has been painted in an overly simplified light by those with a vested financial interest.

Agreed. There is a difference between commercial exploitation and the mom and pop variety. The Mom and Pop variety is what drives prices up. The penalties for Commercial piracy are seriously high, and cost hundreds of thousands to defend against, and cost the originators of the IP a certain amount. The Mom&Pop variety costs MILLIONS of dollars per year that is unreclaimable except for passing it on to the regular customer.
What needs to happen is some way of evaluating software or providing free/cheap software tools to all (Oh look - there goes the GIMP!)

In fact, I was rather annoyed at an advertisement equating movie piracy with stealing cars and handbags that I had to sit through (after paying $14.50 for a ticket!) before the movie the last time I went to the cinema.

I disagree with that. Movie Piracy for downloading movies puts a large amount of money in the hands of various unsavoury characters. It is a surprisingly large leakage. BUT....

Outside of all this, it is really a defense of copyright issue. Copyright actually drives innovation and creativity. Copyright basically protects the author's expressionof an idea , so that they know that the sweat of their brow isn't going to be exploited for nefarious porpoises, or dark and shady dolphins either. What that does is mean that someone can say "Hey - I'll make a *thing* and I can then give/sell or do whatever I want to with it, and I can license it for reproduction or modification (e.g. the GPL) for either no cost or some cost, and Herr Hitler over there can't steal it. IP (as a geek I know this from first hand experience) IS Property. Yes, it IS the same as stealing my Bike. I'm quite happy for KBers to ride my bike if they ask, but I don't just anyone riding around on it while I don't have control over it...

Information wants to be free. Why shouldn't we unlock its door?

I'm a Geek. Information wants to be free - but control of that information should be in the hands of the person that created it... (note - this does not mean some faceless nameless corporation, but the actual dude/dudette what made it)... You have no right to unlock the door to my house, why should you have the right to unlock the door to my information?

Somewhat :Offtopic: but then again, I'm bored at work, and my GF is an IP Lawyer! :eek:

Yo

Yokai
5th October 2004, 11:52
I actually sort of disagree with you on this as many students use pirated software and become familar/used to use particular software such that when they get out into the market place that is what they want to use,

And this is why people like Alias (who make Maya) release Personal Learning Edition software. Creates all the stuff that MAYA does, but with a Big "EDUCATIONAL ONLY" embedded into the images etc. Problem is that people don't like it... they want to be able to take it with them when they move on from being a student or whatever...

Yo

jrandom
5th October 2004, 11:55
I disagree with that. Movie Piracy for downloading movies puts a large amount of money in the hands of various unsavoury characters. It is a surprisingly large leakage. BUT....

Hmmm. The same lines were trotted out when VCRs started turning into a commodity. I'm unconvinced of the real commercial impact.

Yes, it IS the same as stealing my Bike.

Demonstrably untrue. If I steal your bike, you no longer have a bike.

I'm a Geek. Information wants to be free - but control of that information should be in the hands of the person that created it...I'm bored at work, and my GF is an IP Lawyer!

Funnily enough, the job that I'm slacking off from to post on KB at the moment is the drafting of a patent application (in my name, although it will subsequently be deeded to my corporate masters, of course).

She doesn't work for AJ Park, does she?

Yokai
5th October 2004, 12:24
Hmmm. The same lines were trotted out when VCRs started turning into a commodity. I'm unconvinced of the real commercial impact.

Ah - but the VCR problem is slightly different - there was no mass distribution network. But I take the point. The issue with Downloading is that the distribution network is open. I'm quite happy on the other hand for Blockbuster or Civic or whoever to open a website that costs you 99c per download which is time related or something (oh look - there goes DIVX - UGH!)

Demonstrably untrue. If I steal your bike, you no longer have a bike.

True - point taken and accepted for single instance property. The issue here though is that if I have an original (lets say a Van Gogh - "a Van Gogh") and someone takes a copy of that... they have stolen the expression of the idea. That expression of the idea is what is valuable. That there is the theft - the thief has deprived me of the expression of the idea because there is now no way to link that back to me and no way that I can turn around and license it freely or otherwise to anyone else. In order for me to protect myself from this sort of thing, I would have to charge people to come and see the painting. Effectively licensing on a per view basis...

Funnily enough, the job that I'm slacking off from to post on KB at the moment is the drafting of a patent application (in my name, although it will subsequently be deeded to my corporate masters, of course).

She doesn't work for AJ Park, does she?
If you have a standard contract, it won't be deeded to your masters, it already should belong to them. If they don't have an IP clause in their contract, don't deed it to them - license it on a per use basis :-)

Nope - she's a Minterite.

Yo
(btw for those following on - think about this ... you develop the perfect piece of riding gear - the one thing that you want to own, and that maybe a couple of your friends want too. You make 4 of them. Now one of your friends lends it to their friend who copies it. They then sell the copies at 10 dollars a pop. The world buys their copy of your expression of your idea. - What protected you in the first place? Prior art... But you have to go claim that stuff back, and when you do get the damages and restitution, you have to produce it yourself at 25 dollars a pop to reclaim the costs of bringing the suit. But no-one wants to buy it because it's overpriced... That's IP theft guysngals... Oh - anyone wanna burn of the latest Metallica CD?
:msn-wink:

jrandom
5th October 2004, 12:38
if I have an original (lets say a Van Gogh - "a Van Gogh") and someone takes a copy of that... they have stolen the expression of the idea. That expression of the idea is what is valuable. That there is the theft...

I know. Intellectual property law can certainly confer developmental advantages to any technologically or artistically aware society.

But it is always necessary to view the matter as a means to an end, not a fundamental human right. My right not to have my ideas stolen is not akin to my right to "life, liberty and security of person..."

If you have a standard contract, it won't be deeded to your masters, it already should belong to them.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? And yes, of course I have an IP clause in my contract. But ever since we were bought out by a multi-billion-dollar American conglomerate, our lawyers have been learning to handcuff *and* sedate their victims.

jrandom
5th October 2004, 12:39
anyone wanna burn of the latest Metallica CD?

No. It sucks.

Motoracer
5th October 2004, 12:42
No. It sucks.
Unfortunatly, that's true.

Blakamin
5th October 2004, 12:58
Unfortunatly, that's true.
in fact, its even worse than that

jrandom
5th October 2004, 12:58
in fact, its even worse than that

Post whore!

Yokai
5th October 2004, 13:01
I know. Intellectual property law can certainly confer developmental advantages to any technologically or artistically aware society.

I misread that as autistically aware .... this is my brain - this is my brain at work!

But ever since we were bought out by a multi-billion-dollar American conglomerate, our lawyers have been learning to handcuff *and* sedate their victims.
Who are you with and can I get a job! I love handcuffs!

Yokai
(not really kidding about the job)

Blakamin
5th October 2004, 13:02
Post whore!
That was music...I'm allowed to comment on music, its my job

Cajun
5th October 2004, 13:04
That was music...I'm allowed to comment on music, its my job

no your not, dc:<

Blakamin
5th October 2004, 13:08
I get the feeling you're following me :sly:

tell ya what, you put up a poll and if people want me to go, i'll go

jrandom
5th October 2004, 13:12
tell ya what, you put up a poll and if people want me to go, i'll go

Go? GO? Nobody wants you to go! We just think you're a filthy dirty dodgy forum whore :msn-wink:

jrandom
5th October 2004, 13:14
Who are you with and can I get a job!

Navman. www.navman.com has a 'Careers' section that is usually more or less up to date with job vacancies.

But if you or anyone else wants a job, best to PM me and we'll get in touch via email, because the official HR CV filtering process is both long and tortuous.

Blakamin
5th October 2004, 13:18
Go? GO? Nobody wants you to go! We just think you're a filthy dirty dodgy forum whore :msn-wink:
Thats all right then

Cajun
5th October 2004, 13:25
Thats all right then

as long as i become a double forum whore before you, so settle down, dc:<

Blakamin
5th October 2004, 13:29
as long as i become a double forum whore before you, so settle down, dc:<
I cant see any problems with that... i'll (hopefully) be busy at work for the next coupla weeks.... otherwise we'll hit it at about the same time
:niceone:

Cajun
5th October 2004, 13:39
I cant see any problems with that... i'll (hopefully) be busy at work for the next coupla weeks.... otherwise we'll hit it at about the same time
:niceone:

i am busy most of this week auckland tomorrow for day then i am on aix training thrusday/friday so won't be around much but then i i whore it up next week and try and get it done by then

Big Dog
5th October 2004, 13:58
This is clearly no more about the original topic but I googled adobe a few months back and got a free "demo" version down loaded took hours on standard modem, and it was probably missing bits being a pirate copy. But it does everything I have tried to do except moving pictures.

Big Dog
5th October 2004, 13:59
..except moving pictures.
before the techies get to full of themselves I mean animations. :whistle:

DarkNinja
5th October 2004, 16:05
ive always had the real thing, it used to be a 30 day trial or something, but you just use a 2kb crack, easy as pie, if u want a copy pm me ure adress, still does the same as the normal one i use it at design school

Firefight
6th October 2004, 05:06
hey people, thanks for all your replies, came home late last night from my second job to find a stack of pms waiting for me, am away again today,(no sitting in front of computer ) so can't reply to the pms till tonight, also have asked daughter to get a bit more info, did not know there was more than one type of adoby thingy, will reply to each pm tonight, thanks again,

F/F

The Pastor
6th October 2004, 17:41
Harvey norman (glenfield) used to be the store to get anything on cd they have 8 megabit connection. but i dont think u can use it any more. Or its harder anyways