PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best way to strap a bike on trailer?

Bren
5th September 2007, 18:41
Hey guys, as some of you know I am going down to Otago soon to pick up a bike. What is the safest way to strop them on a trailer? Do I put it on side stand, or centre stand? I have got 4 medium stregnth ratchet tie downs. Is it side or centre or another way????

Ghost_Bullet
5th September 2007, 18:43
Just lay it down so you cant see it, what ya cant see must be safe??? :stupid:

imdying
5th September 2007, 18:44
Use some rope :yes:

Rashika
5th September 2007, 18:48
nudge tyre of bike up to front of trailer tailgate, a tiedown (rachet type usually the best) round each fork above either of the triple clamp at about a 45 degree angle, one on left and one on right and compress the forks, the forks will act as a bit of suspension for the bike as you drive.... Tadaaaaaa done, easy peasy. ;)

Dont put on side or centrestand cos they can bounce off both as you are driving

now dont say us chicks know nufink

Toaster
5th September 2007, 18:51
Use the side stand if you can apply pressure enough to have it securely nosed into a corner and use ratchet tie downs. Its all about getting them angles right and it wont bounce off the stand.

Taz
5th September 2007, 18:55
Upright on it's wheels no stand.

merv
5th September 2007, 19:02

Yep agree with this man, use your tie downs and no bike stands. Pull the tie downs tight so it loads the suspension then when the trailer hits bumps all stays nice and tight. I use guide boards in the bottom of my trailers to hold the wheels in line but if you aren't setting the trailer up permanently just run the front wheel of the bike into one corner of the trailer and tie it down upright there.

janno
5th September 2007, 19:07
I think this is one where there is no one correct way, but people tie for their preference.

I've trailered two bikes from Melbourne to Brisbane, both firmly tied down on the side stands and they never moved an inch. I've also trailered a bike around Brisbane which was tied down upright with no stand.

If you are secure in your tying down whatever method you choose, I don't think you'll have a problem.

skidMark
5th September 2007, 19:10

agreed though on sidestand can sometimes be good

but you must and i stress you must pull the front down so the forks are compressed.....as far it you can get them

or else byby bikey.

mdooher
5th September 2007, 19:16
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-trailer/motorcycle-trailer-tie-down.htm

this is possibly the best (ok most interesting) method I have seen

merv
5th September 2007, 19:26
The point is though there is no point loading against a stand because there are quite severe forces when the trailer bounces on the road and you don't want to either have a stand go through the floor of the trailer or bend itself on its mounts. No matter what others are saying I'm saying don't bother with the stands. The suspension of the bike is a different story it was made for taking bumps. I didn't vote because you never allowed for that choice.

Regarding this

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-trailer/motorcycle-trailer-tie-down.htm

this is possibly the best (ok most interesting) method I have seen

It sort of looks OK but again to deal with bumps I'd still run a couple of tie down up to handlebar level to anchor the bike more safely.

El Dopa
5th September 2007, 19:52

+2 (or 3, or however many) from me.

Before you attempt loading, make sure you have:

- lots of tiedowns (they're only about $10 for 2 pairs at hammer hardware, so go crazy. I usually use four. I have been known to use six).

- a ramp (or at least a long, VERY sturdy, wide plank. Longer the better)

- a couple of strong friends.

For a servo-type trailer:

Once the bike is on the trailer bed, stick the front wheel of the bike in one of the front corners of the trailer. Wedge it in tight, bike at an angle across the load bed.

Use one of the tie-downs to compress the front end and hold it in position. MAKE SURE you don't trap any of the cables. Splay the two ends out to the sides wide for stability. Find hook-on points on the trailer where the ends won't slip.

Second tie-down on the back (for example around the pillion pegs). Compress the rear shock. Splay it out as above.

Use the rest of the tie-downs wherever you feel is necessary on the bike and the trailer to hold the bike upright. P for Plenty. Don't trap any hoses, electrics or whatever.

Putting the bike shocks in compression should mean force is exerted upwards, keeping the ties tight, keeping the bike in position. It'll bounce a bit and absorb the bumps as you drive over them.

Leaving the bike on the stand will allow these forces to stiffly jolt the bike as you drive through potholes, and can knock bits loose and cause minor damage.

NOTE

If you are using a servo trailer, the bed is higher than a dedicated bike trailer. Therefore, the belly of the bike can easily catch as the front wheel gets onto the load bed, with the back wheel still on the ramp. This is where your friends come in handy - DO NOT get yourself in a position where it is just you and the bike half on (or off) the trailer. You will have your hands full keeping the bike upright, and you will find you can't go backwards and you can't go forwards. This is not desirable. Friends can help lift the bike.

If you are using a bike ramp, it will have an end specially shaped for placing on the load bed - it will be flat.

If you are using a plank, it will not have a flat shaped end, and will move around more easily. It is a very good idea to tie it in position firmly (the ramp too, come to that). This helps avoid the situation where the ramp/plank shifts out of position when the bike is halfway up it. Not desirable.

If you can park the trailer on a slight downhill slope (facing downhill), this will make a high trialer easier to load (flattens out the ramp slope).

Gravity is a bitch. Do not give her even half a chance to fuck your bike up.

barty5
5th September 2007, 19:55
no stand front wheel either put in to front corner of trailer so it cant slip side ways or in center up to you then one across trailer through and around back wheel so back wont move from side to side on all the bumps you drive over

dangerous
5th September 2007, 19:58
Use the side stand if you can apply pressure enough to have it securely nosed into a corner and use ratchet tie downs. Its all about getting them angles right and it wont bounce off the stand.
NO

nudge tyre of bike up to front of trailer tailgate, a tiedown (rachet type usually the best) round each fork above either of the triple clamp at about a 45 degree angle, one on left and one on right and compress the forks, the forks will act as a bit of suspension for the bike as you drive.... Tadaaaaaa done, easy peasy. ;)

YES

Due to the distance you will be traveling Id tie the back down aswell 1 tie down on each side.

I wouldnt use any stands as I have seen them snap, fall over and punch through the deck.

obstacle
5th September 2007, 20:05
Perfect timing! I'll be having to think about this on saturday.

The way I've always done it with dirt bikes is to compress the front suspension with the front wheel up against the front board and tie downs going out and forward to keep the front end locked down. It usually just takes a couple of tie downs across the back to hold the rear wheel in place. I've never had any need to run straps across the seat or top of the bike.

But then the weight and suspension on a trail bike is a lot different to a sports bike. I guess we'll find out on saturday if the weather craps out.

Daffyd
5th September 2007, 21:45
Try not to compress the suspension too much as it can damage the fork seals. Keep the tiedowns as horizontal as possible.

dino3310
5th September 2007, 22:21

i agree but but a lot of road fairings wont allow it,
pice of piss with a naked ride.

RiderInBlack
5th September 2007, 23:08
I always tie down with side stand down. I use 2 rachet tie downs. I use 2 different methods depending on whether I'm tieing down in my Van or in the Ferry.

Van:
Left tie down first so the pull is into the stand (less chance of tipping over while tieing down). Left front around the left fork housing ("Roxanne" has right-side-up forks, therefore don't have to worry about fork compression by strapping here) to ring in left front of van and then back to rear left ring in van and upto pillion peg mounting. Then the same on the right-hand side.

Ferry:

Rear tie down first (if ya did the front first it could cause the stand to fick up and drop the bike). Left Rear ferry ring, though left pillion peg mounting. Back through left rear ferry ring, through rear wheel to right rear ferry ring. Upto right pillion peg mount and back to right rear ferry ring.
Front tie down next. Left front ferry ring, around the left fork housing and back through left front ferry ring. Accross to right front ferry ring, around the right fork housing and back to right front ferry ring.

Never tie down using centre stand. There is a high risk of that stand ficking up at the wrong moment, causing ya bike ta drop.

ceebie13
5th September 2007, 23:53
How about upside down resting on its handle bars and saddle...like when you fixed a push-bike puncture when you were a kid!

Brian d marge
6th September 2007, 01:20
See Rashikas reply

If you have ever been in the sorry state off attending te auctions and ( the #$%&'(' )has bought 30 odd bikes ,,

U will become an expert reeeeaalll quick on tying down bikes

I actually use rope because I find it easier and quicker than tie downs ( ratchets) ..

One length of rope will tie down a good few bikes and if treated well will last for ever , the only down side of analogue tech is that u have to learn a simple friction knot ... which is one pull release ( much like me with a hot chicky babe ,,,one pull and I release )

Compress the suspension to just over 60 % and all will be fine ...

Stephen

skidMark
6th September 2007, 02:08
How about upside down resting on its handle bars and saddle...like when you fixed a push-bike puncture when you were a kid!

lol now theres a man thats thinking...not intelligent but still a wonderful amount of thought put in lol.

when i bought my zxr home it had no fairings...my mate had a ute....

but we forgot tie downs....

so we chucked it on it's side lol

gently layed of course...he said it was lsiding around like crazy...ahhh well...ddnt damage it...note to self **remember tie downs in future**

barty5
6th September 2007, 07:12
[QUOTE=Brian d'marge;1194280]See Rashikas reply

I actually use rope because I find it easier and quicker than tie downs ( ratchets) ..

Compress the suspension to just over 60 % and all will be fine ...

I to would rather use rope before ratchet tie downs most of them you get are made of thin material would not trust it over a long trip and half the time they jamb up and will not come un done. I perfer proper bike tie down self locking and a simple loop with whats left once its all tied down just is case the slip real simple and easy to undo bike

Ghost_Bullet
6th September 2007, 07:23
Is that a trick question?? in your poll, Just let it fall off is the best option by opinion... I thought dont use no stand.

Coldrider
6th September 2007, 09:25
i agree but but a lot of road fairings wont allow it,
pice of piss with a naked ride.
On a '93 CBR600 I once had I passed to tie downs up through the inside of the fairings, following the forks up to the clamps, as the fairing was too stressed with the tie downs on the outside. One tie down or lanyard to secure the rear wheel, two tie downs at the front clamps (one either side) and no stand/side stand. Never had an issue on trailer or ferry.

Blind spot
6th September 2007, 10:47
Did you mean Bike or Dyke?

nodrog
6th September 2007, 12:42
i have always just used 2 tiedowns on the front, up through the front fairing and around the bottom triple clamp, as long as there is enough pressure on the suspension it will hold the whole bike stable. for long trips you can tie the back wheel down to stop it skipping around side to side.

Toaster
6th September 2007, 20:45
You must have had shit side stands then fella.

dangerous
6th September 2007, 20:47

did you mean to quote some one?

Toaster
6th September 2007, 20:47
... oh and you are clearly outvoted but thanks for the big bold NO.

Toaster
6th September 2007, 20:48
I quoted you dangerous but didnt bother to include the text.

dangerous
6th September 2007, 20:59
... oh and you are clearly outvoted but thanks for the big bold NO.

no point in quoting then deleting the post man, specially 2 pages later :rolleyes:
Now, I also did a big bold yes
my way of tieing down was not an option on the poll... so DUH
If you re read MY quote below, you will see that I never said I have had any side stands brake... but in over 20yrs of riding I have seen it done, and I might add that I travel up to twice a month with FOUR bikes on the truck and trailer, I think by now mate that I know the beter ways of tieing down :bash:

I wouldnt use any stands as I have seen them snap, fall over and punch through the deck.

RiderInBlack
7th September 2007, 08:22
Just a point here. Although I use the Side-stand while tyeing down the bike, I don't rely upon it. With the two straps I use the bike would stay were it is even if the stand folded. I only use the side stand to start with so I don't have to try and hold the bike up while I'm strapping it down and I strap in the order I do to lesson the chance of it falling while I'm strapping.

Toaster
7th September 2007, 23:06
no point in quoting then deleting the post man, specially 2 pages later :rolleyes:
Now, I also did a big bold yes
my way of tieing down was not an option on the poll... so DUH
If you re read MY quote below, you will see that I never said I have had any side stands brake... but in over 20yrs of riding I have seen it done, and I might add that I travel up to twice a month with FOUR bikes on the truck and trailer, I think by now mate that I know the beter ways of tieing down :bash:

Well 24 to 15 says otherwise. :whistle:

Usarka
7th September 2007, 23:18
Best way for bike to strap on?
yep its a trailer too.....

:rofl:

Toaster
7th September 2007, 23:33
Best way for bike to strap on?
yep its a trailer too.....

:rofl:

Does it hurt?

Usarka
7th September 2007, 23:37
only the first few times.....then you get the hang of it.

we are talking about trailers right?

Rashika
8th September 2007, 06:25
Well 24 to 15 says otherwise. :whistle:

eh?? only if you are a complete plonker... :whistle: are you? ;)