PDA

View Full Version : Painting helmet?

Buddha
6th October 2004, 09:39
Can I paint my helmet with any old paint? Someone told me once that it can affect the strength of the outer shell... Your thoughts please.

vifferman
6th October 2004, 09:44
Can I paint my helmet with any old paint? Someone told me once that it can affect the strength of the outer shell... Your thoughts please.No. Yes. Nothing.

thehollowmen
6th October 2004, 09:44
I'd be very careful, some of the solvents in oil based and spray paints can do some nasty things to plastics...

Water based paints should be ok, but then you'd have to be careful they don't run in wet weather...

Best bet is to find a profesional at a track day and ask what paints they used, but then again they're not too happy about giving out trade secrets...

vifferman
6th October 2004, 09:50
Depends what your helmet shell and finish are. Obviously, some are painted in the factory, and some do have custom paint jobs. If you were painting a "thermoplastic resin" (i.e., plastic) helmet, something acetone based (like lacquer paints) could be harmful to it. A mixed fibre-reinforced shell with painted finish will be fine painted over with the same sort of paint as was used originally.

Acrylic paint's not going to hurt at all, but then again, it may not stick very well.

kerryg
6th October 2004, 10:15
Depends what your helmet shell and finish are. Obviously, some are painted in the factory, and some do have custom paint jobs. If you were painting a "thermoplastic resin" (i.e., plastic) helmet, something acetone based (like lacquer paints) could be harmful to it. A mixed fibre-reinforced shell with painted finish will be fine painted over with the same sort of paint as was used originally.

Acrylic paint's not going to hurt at all, but then again, it may not stick very well.

By acrylic I guess you mean water-based in which case I'm sure you're right that it can't do any harm, but some of the spray can products are acrylics and seem to use quite aggressive solvents so I'd be wary of using an acrylic spray can

Motu
6th October 2004, 11:36
Never had no problem with Sampson high gloss,in black of course - just remember to keep the brush strokes front to rear,helps with the air flow....I'm fussy about little things like that y'know...

The Pastor
6th October 2004, 11:49
If you dont know what finish is on ur helmet take it into a painter explain to him that some paints damage it and ask what products he would use and any tips. water based paint + some sort of clear coat (to stop the rain from ruining it) would be my best bet but i dont know anything....

wari
6th October 2004, 12:02
I Thought this thread wasabout a parking hermitte ...

DUnno wherre my headsat today ... :spudwhat:

scumdog
6th October 2004, 12:05
Never had no problem with Sampson high gloss,in black of course - just remember to keep the brush strokes front to rear,helps with the air flow....I'm fussy about little things like that y'know...

For me it's water-based matte-black, dip a piece of foam rubber into it and dab it on the helmet evenly, give a cool textured surface (the more open the foam is - the rougher the texture) and it doesn't catch the wind when you look sideways like the brush-strokes Motu mentioned do!! :niceone:

Dodgyiti
6th October 2004, 12:06
You can buy Acrylic Laquer in spray bombs from Super Cheap for , well, umm, super cheap [ about 2 bucks a can] :niceone:
And it sticks really well if you give it a scuff with 400 first.

750Y
6th October 2004, 12:08
Call Larry at reflections who used to do this(not anymore tho). he'll be able to put You right.

Dodgyiti
6th October 2004, 12:11
oh, I forgot.
I think it comes out in a whole range of colours and clear coat as well
Sorry, but everything appears matt black with the scratched westie sunglasses