View Full Version : Heated Grips !

Firefight
22nd July 2003, 00:16
You may have covered this b4, not sure, can anyone give
me a run down on heated grips

cheers firefight:rockon:

What?
22nd July 2003, 07:19
There's a few options out there. The most common are the Daytona grips. I had these once, and while warm, they were a larger diameter than standard grips and also quite hard, so not especially comfortable.

The best ones are heaters which go inside the bar tube, but they are not cheap, and not able to be fitted to some types of bars. Check out your nearest BMW dealer - the factory ones may fit your bike.

You could even make your own. A cheap option, although could be time-consuming...:niceone:

Coldkiwi
22nd July 2003, 13:02
TBH, I used to think they were a bit of a wank strictly for poncy BMW owners who had more money than sense and were a bit soft! But in the last month or so where I've had to go to reasonable lengths to keep my hands from icing up each morning in the 30 minutes it takes to get to work (hands in warm water, leave inners and outer gloves in HW cupboard, inner gloves on before going outside, pump hands to keep everything from numbing during the ride...) , I'm a little more open to the idea! That said, any poncy* BMW owners reading this, please accept my apologies! (and condolences for having a BMW.. but I digress :P )

Actually, they're probably a great idea for anyone doing lots of winter riding if you can get some that aren't going to cause you untold installation and running grief.

as for where to get them, try motomail as I have seen them advertise some.

(other than that last line, I have absolutely nothing of worth to say about this and should have all my posting priveleges removed on grounds of being unqualified :o )

*I now realise that BMW ownership does not necessarily equal poncy.. forgive me for being a squid on a rice rocket!

bluninja
22nd July 2003, 13:36
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
*I now realise that BMW ownership does not necessarily equal poncy.. forgive me for being a squid on a rice rocket!

Would that be one of two rice rockets running on less than 4 cylinders ? LOL

All fixed now?

BTW, some (maybe unqualified) person suggested that you should check with an expert whether your bikes electrickery is up to supplying the juice for add ons, especially heaters.

TTFN

Firefight
22nd July 2003, 17:04
Thanks guys

Some good ideas, Its been so cold lately, I don;t mind been called a wank, if I get to work without gettin frostbite.

cheers

firefight:niceone:

Blackbird
22nd July 2003, 17:18
I'd hate to think how Aucklanders function down in the Central north Island if they think it's cold in Auckland at the moment!

:Oops:

Joke, honest :eek:

Firefight
22nd July 2003, 18:31
Hey Blackbird, I'm not an Aucklander, I live in Pukekohe !!:eek:

And I lived down your many years ago, out the back of old Taupo
road, and I reckon as cold as it used to get down there, it's been that cold up here:rockon:

cheers firefight.

bikerboy
22nd July 2003, 18:31
That's exactly why they live in Auckland. :D

My question is why anyone would choose to function in the central north island?:cool:

Blackbird
22nd July 2003, 19:25
Oooh......  some thin skins, maybe that's why you feel the cold:p

I live down here for roads which have bends and an average road speed of greater than 5 km/hr, hehe.  I've just entered for the 1000 mile/24 hours ride in October.  If you enter, you can sample a fair chunk of the north island roads in a day!

Cheers guys, no offence.....  I spend a fair bit of time working in Auckland:D

Nice to get a bite though.....:niceone:

mangell6
22nd July 2003, 19:56
Heated grips, wife swears by them - "My hands are warm whats your problem!!" :rolleyes:

Lately had some nice frosts, road closed due to ice all in the 25-30 minutes that I ride the bike to work each morning. I guess its part of the thrill.

And as for the 1000m/24hr - nothing like it - See ya there this year Blackbird.

Mike - Upper Hutt

Pickle
22nd July 2003, 21:44
Heated Grips - used to swear by them, especially good when travelling to Brass Monkey with temps -10. Anyway enough waffle there are a new brand out that look like a small electric blanket you wrap around your grips plug them in to your accesory power outlet short warm up time & nice warm hands, Great. Easily removed when temp warms up made by a company called Oxford.

If you cant find them in Akl contact me & I will find out more info.

Coldkiwi
22nd July 2003, 22:04
man.. do I feel like KK now...

I'm happy to report that the ZX-6 is DEFINITELY in firm rice-rocket territory again! couldn't wipe teh grin off my face riding home.. went CBD-Howick via whitford! :D... i really need a detector now before i loose my licence well and truly!

those wrap around heated blankets sound pretty good although it would be weird riding holding onto very thick grips... are 'Wafer thin' or something?

Pickle
22nd July 2003, 22:05
Another cheap option is to wear silk under gloves, also try merino / possum socks to keep your feet warm.:niceone:

Mitch
22nd July 2003, 23:05
I didn't think anything of heated grips until I rode a friends bike that has them and wind mittens.  Every damn morning and most night I think about those grips and mittens now.  I could do with a nose mitten to some days. Man is it cold!!!

Still I have a van with a heater and choose to leave it on my driveway :o 

Coldkiwi
23rd July 2003, 12:25
I solve the nose problem with a balaclava... works well enough.

SPman
23rd July 2003, 12:39
Heated hand grips........Nose Warmers!

Bah Humbug!...................:confused:

What you want is a nice warm cage, you do........ 

wkid_one
23rd July 2003, 12:54
I agree with SP - harden up....

Tho I, like mangel - know what it is like riding from Upper Hutt to Wellington on a frosty morning.  Your hands thaw out at about 3pm!

Balaclava rocks for noise - and cold I suppose.....you end up with a loose helmet in summer tho

SPman
23rd July 2003, 18:12
I must admit , last time I did the Desert Rd in winter, I didnt feel my fingers again until Taupo!:argh:

bungbung
1st August 2003, 13:21
In Seoul, Korea I saw a lot of motorcycle couriers with large neoprene mittens mounted to the grips sort of permanently. You can just slide your hands straight in and out. I suspect they work quite well for warmth coz its gets damn cold there!

fergie
1st August 2003, 13:52
can't comment on heated grips but can recommend thin polyprop cloves under your normal gloves(go to a bicycle shop for these)

i spent a past life working in a meat works and while there i 'borrowed' a pair of freezer gloves, they are wool lined, totally waterproof and i've never had cold hands while wearing them.

also i borrowed at the same time a balaclave made from thermolactyl (damart brand) that i've had for 11 years. it is warm and fits well under the helmet and it doesn't itch.

that's my two cents worth,,,,, now, how do i cut down my electric blanket to fit my seat?mmm

ferg