PDA

View Full Version : Panniers and tank bags??

Gizzit
8th September 2007, 10:53
I am looking to buy a set of soft panniers and a medium size tank bag to use on my "new CB1300S" !!! :woohoo:

I want something that is medium to maybe high end (so it will last a while?), and will suit my CB. It maybe required to fit gear for two people for a few days if my wife wants to join me on a few nordy weekends away !! :shifty:

Any "printable" suggestions re the luggage options ??? :niceone:

Cheers,
Grant.

NighthawkNZ
8th September 2007, 11:10
I am looking to buy a set of soft panniers and a medium size tank bag to use on my "new CB1300S" !!! :woohoo:

I want something that is medium to maybe high end (so it will last a while?), and will suit my CB. It maybe required to fit gear for two people for a few days if my wife wants to join me on a few nordy weekends away !! :shifty:

Cheers,
Grant.

I don't have a tank bag... but use the Ventura luggage gear... throw over saddles and the double pack system

http://www.ventura-bike.com/content/home.aspx

98tls
8th September 2007, 14:10
Ive been using oxford humpback panniers for a couple of years and very happy. www.oxprod.com

Gizzit
8th September 2007, 14:25
Ive been using oxford humpback panniers for a couple of years and very happy. www.oxprod.com

Yes Oxford stuff is good quality. I have been leaning towards their range, but wondering about Givi or Rjays as well.
Cheers. I'll check out that site.

banditrider
8th September 2007, 16:33
I haven't tried soft luggage (apart from packs) but thoroghly recommend hard luggage - you can just throw stuff in them, they're secure and easy to use. I had Givi gear on my Bandit (still got the topbox) and it was relatively cheap considering that it'll last forever and you can swap it to your next bike.

I've got a Venturer tank bag which I haven't used much (and can't now) and it was ok but a bit of a worry in windy conditions and I was always worried about it hucking up the paint on my tank.

Gizzit
10th September 2007, 17:54
I haven't tried soft luggage (apart from packs) but thoroghly recommend hard luggage - you can just throw stuff in them, they're secure and easy to use. I had Givi gear on my Bandit (still got the topbox) and it was relatively cheap considering that it'll last forever and you can swap it to your next bike.

I've got a Venturer tank bag which I haven't used much (and can't now) and it was ok but a bit of a worry in windy conditions and I was always worried about it hucking up the paint on my tank.

Well I have got some Oxford stuff coming tomorrow to try on my bike, so will take it from there. I know the hard luggage is the way to go for lasting, but I will just try the soft gear out for a while and see how it goes. I don't imagine I will be doing a hell of a lot of touring ..... but you never know !! :cool:

banditrider
10th September 2007, 19:45
Well I have got some Oxford stuff coming tomorrow to try on my bike, so will take it from there. I know the hard luggage is the way to go for lasting, but I will just try the soft gear out for a while and see how it goes. I don't imagine I will be doing a hell of a lot of touring ..... but you never know !! :cool:

You'll start off slowly & then you'll get the bug...

Hope the gear works out for ya. :headbang:

Gizzit
11th September 2007, 18:01
You'll start off slowly & then you'll get the bug...

Hope the gear works out for ya. :headbang:

Cheers mate. I'll see how they go on my road trip which starts tomorrow morning. They look ok on the bike, and will have enough capacity by the looks. I hope I don't have to find out if they are waterproof !!! :woohoo:

banditrider
11th September 2007, 19:41
As long as they're better than the saddle bags a mate had on his harley. Younno those flash expensive things with all sorts buckles, belts and domes all over them. They let the water in but didn't let it back out again! Camera didn't appreciate it either...

homer
11th September 2007, 21:37
i got a oxford tank bag on the trade me check it out for them 2 different ones on there id go for the expandable one aprox $130 40 but there really wicked i got a standard one great for the cell .and the gloves or even a light fleace to put on under a jacket if you needed it.....id definately recommend it

Zapf
11th September 2007, 22:05
Last time I checked Givi don't make any mounting kit for the CB1300. MV Motec did something but may not carry the full weight allowed by a normal Givi rack. So yea the hard luggage might need a bit of research for the 1300.

MaxB
12th September 2007, 00:00
I have a Dririder two stage tank bag. No probs except the rain cover elastic is going slack but then I ride in the rain a bit. Recommended.

The ZX has the ventura pack rack system on it. They are brilliant for what they are. eg low cost/high capacity. That is all the luggage I need for 2 up. I have a set of old Ventura soft panniers but never use them.

The good ol Beemer has the factory hard cases on them. They are your answer if you are going to do a lot of touring. They also have flat(ish) tops so you can get more stuff on the bike and stilll have room for the pillion.

If GIVI don't make a kit for your bike you may be able to get an adaptor plate made up in a machine shop. A mate fitted a GIVI system to his FJ1200 this way.

Hope this helps.

ceebie13
13th September 2007, 15:13

Seconded :2thumbsup

Finn
13th September 2007, 15:17
Whatever you go for, make sure they detach easily. So many don't and it's a right pain in arse when you reach your destination.

pritch
13th September 2007, 17:08
Tank bags can do serious damage to the paint finish of your tank. I suggest a visit to a sign shop to get them to make clear adhesive plastic stickers to protect the appropriate parts of the tank before you put a tank bag on.

Even if you take all the normal precautions like keeping your magnetic bag away from any contact with metal filings etc there is always the possibility of a stone chip getting under the bag while travelling. It was one such incident that led to my enthusiasm for the plastic stickies...

I think the stickers I bought cost a bit over $100 but that's a lot cheaper than repainting the tank.

HungusMaximist
13th September 2007, 23:33
Tank bags can do serious damage to the paint finish of your tank. I suggest a visit to a sign shop to get them to make clear adhesive plastic stickers to protect the appropriate parts of the tank before you put a tank bag on.

Even if you take all the normal precautions like keeping your magnetic bag away from any contact with metal filings etc there is always the possibility of a stone chip getting under the bag while travelling. It was one such incident that led to my enthusiasm for the plastic stickies...

I think the stickers I bought cost a bit over $100 but that's a lot cheaper than repainting the tank.

Oh yea? That's actually quite interesting, I actually have some transparent vinyl paper that might do the job. Bit of a cut and paste here and there should do the trick.

Possibly you can even use the clear adhesive book wrapping on your tank.

ceebie13
14th September 2007, 08:11
I similar thread on a CB1300 Owners Club Forum illustrated these humungous
monstrosities courtesy of Krauser in Germany. (Top Box also available I'd imagine)

Personally I think they make the bike look hideous, but I'm a form before function man, so each to their own.

Available here:
http://www.prettygarage.co.uk/krauser.htm

Not too expensive either apparently.

Zapf
14th September 2007, 08:17
Possibly you can even use the clear adhesive book wrapping on your tank.

That stuff will be broken down by the sun, it'll fall to bits with the glue leaving a nice sticky film over your tank :P

sinned
14th September 2007, 19:26
I similar thread on a CB1300 Owners Club Forum illustrated these humungous
monstrosities courtesy of Krauser in Germany. (Top Box also available I'd imagine)

Personally I think they make the bike look hideous, but I'm a form before function man, so each to their own.

Available here:
http://www.prettygarage.co.uk/krauser.htm

Not too expensive either apparently.

I have yet to see hard luggage that improves the look of a bike. Soft bags tell us something about the freedom of the rider - I could rave on.

banditrider
14th September 2007, 19:33
I have yet to see hard luggage that improves the look of a bike. Soft bags tell us something about the freedom of the rider - I could rave on.

The Concours looks better with panniers on than off (helps hide ugly muffler) - a lot of the big tourers are the same. Once you've had hard luggage you'd never go back to a pack or soft bags: waterproof, easy to pack, secure etc etc.

ceebie13
14th September 2007, 20:49
Soft bags tell us something about the freedom of the rider -

....are you talking about your testicles again, Dennis?

H00dz
14th September 2007, 22:33

I'm with Banditrider........I got GIVI top box and panniers there wicked easy to stash your gear....Hope you find something

banditrider
15th September 2007, 08:43
Some hard luggage links I looked at when gearing up the Bandit:

http://www.givi.it/index.asp?lang=en
http://www.hepco-becker.de/_eng/frameset.php
http://www.krauser.co.uk/
http://www.eurotechmotorsports.com/forms/Category.cfm?do=query&new_query=yes&q_string=&q_producttype=467&q_manufacturer=all&q_brand=all

Zapf
16th September 2007, 02:20
Givi hard luggages are all GOOD!

NZsarge
16th September 2007, 04:58
I have soft Givi saddle bags(which I have'nt used yet) a tail bag and back pack and I highly recommend them, it's expensive but beautiful quality, good looking gear. Bottom line though I think the Givi hard gear is the most practical if you don't mind the mounting brackets all over the arse of your bike when the luggage is not on. It's a personal thing I guess. At least the Givi hard luggage is a lot less of a security issue compared to soft luggage though eh.

banditrider
16th September 2007, 15:13
Givi hard luggages are all GOOD!

You said it!

E41 panniers + V46 topbox = 128L storage!

Zapf
17th September 2007, 00:02
You said it!

E41 panniers + V46 topbox = 128L storage!

yep, but those E41's are expensive :)

banditrider
17th September 2007, 18:50
$795 for a pair though cheaper when you outfit 2 bikes at once! I actually didn't think they were too badly priced - only $50 dearer than some of the older style panniers of same capacity. They look a bit nicer and the small combination lock equipped lid was quite handy.

HungusMaximist
18th September 2007, 00:10
Look man, just get whatever you think it's gonna work best for your bike. Although do make sure they are of a reasonable standard.

Soft, hard, firm, jelly, whatever, as long you think it's cool who cares?

I have a full set hard Givi Panniers that came with the bike, I didn't really ask for it when I was looking in buying bikes, but I am sure glad that it came with a top box. Knowing now, I put shit in it nearly early ride. Of course the most important asset it that my top box can fit a 12 bottles of beer easily and with space with to spare.

If you want to get some, then get some yo!

HungusMaximist
18th September 2007, 00:11
That stuff will be broken down by the sun, it'll fall to bits with the glue leaving a nice sticky film over your tank :P

Ahh.. Thanks.

*crosses it off the list* :no:

pritch
18th September 2007, 13:02
The stuff the sign shops sell is OK, it is designed for outside use. Some bike shops also sell it, but they can't do complicated shapes the way a sign shop with their computerised drawing/cutting gear can.

Zapf
18th September 2007, 15:54
find a sign writing supplies shop. Look for 3M paint protection film, not cheap but very good.

banditrider
18th September 2007, 16:55
find a sign writing supplies shop. Look for 3M paint protection film, not cheap but very good.

Can get it at most bike shops too. About $25 for a metre & I think it is about 50cm wide. I've put it on my last few bikes - just done the sides of the tank on the Concours & will probably do the front of the panniers to ward off stone chips. Good stuff.

Zapf
18th September 2007, 17:51
Can get it at most bike shops too. About $25 for a metre & I think it is about 50cm wide. I've put it on my last few bikes - just done the sides of the tank on the Concours & will probably do the front of the panniers to ward off stone chips. Good stuff.

different stuff. The ones from the bike shops are cheap / lower quality ones. You'll find during summer the glue bleeds from the side and collects dirt, also the finish of the film is uneven. But yes they both do the job.

sunhuntin
18th September 2007, 21:47
Look man, just get whatever you think it's gonna work best for your bike. Although do make sure they are of a reasonable standard.

Soft, hard, firm, jelly, whatever, as long you think it's cool who cares?

I have a full set hard Givi Panniers that came with the bike, I didn't really ask for it when I was looking in buying bikes, but I am sure glad that it came with a top box. Knowing now, I put shit in it nearly early ride. Of course the most important asset it that my top box can fit a 12 bottles of beer easily and with space with to spare.

If you want to get some, then get some yo!

yep, givi top box here too. first thing i bought when i got my license. its on its 3rd bike, and still going strong. dunno what literage it is, but last week i had in it: helmet, full gloves, rolled up leather pants, various bungy cords and tool kit. invaluable item that... can put so much in and on it. would be lost without it now.

also have a pair of leather saddles, but i only use them long haul, for heavy stuff like oil and tie downs [oil more so cos it will stay upright] in an off, im certain they would be shredded. eventually i might get hardbags.

scracha
20th September 2007, 03:43
The baglux stuff is also good for use with tankbags. Keeps the tank pristine and the added bonus is you don't get icy bollocks on a cold winters day.

FROSTY
20th September 2007, 09:18
I'd suggest you get yaself a 45l topbox
Its less er "ugly" than a set of panniers and if you are just going for a rideit doesn't look so ugly off

vifferman
20th September 2007, 09:43
Ive done a five-day trip, two-up with two Ventura zip-together backpacks and an expandable tankbag, and there was enough room for all our stuff (even took things we didn't wear or use.
I second the comments about the tankbag: it's easy to forget to wipe the underside and travelling about 80km on gravel roads I ended up with grit underneath it and fairly well muntered paint on the tank. But I still use it, as it's very versatile. We had our clothes and personal stuff in the backpacks, and things like wet-weather gear, camera, sunscreen, sunglasses, hats, firstaid stuff etc in the tankbag where it was readily accessible. I sometimes use the tankbag on a day-to-day basis, but find although the bike handles better than with the backpack, the backpack's more convenient as I can put it on / take it off one-handed when I'm carrying my helmet and gloves.

HenryDorsetCase
21st September 2007, 09:29
Ive got a set of Oxford throw over panniers. they are fine although I have lost one of the cheesy raincovers (mine are the cheapest ones they make, about $120 retail) they have a couple of ranges and the more expensive ones might be better-er. Mine were fine over a week of wet riding this crimble though.. I just used a rubbish bag to put all the crap that was in the bag into.

I bought a Givi top box and mounting bracket thing off tardme for cheap. about $200 or so all up (maybe more, but definitely not more than $250) so thats an avenue you could look at. the Givi topbox rules, plus it doubles as a passenger backrest.

I have only a leedle tankbag (more of a purse really) which is a Givi again, and again bought from tardme for about $80 or so. its magnetic, holds a camera, phone, wallet sunnies, and various bits and bobs. and its never even shifted even during some relatively spirited riding.

jafar
21st September 2007, 20:52

Cheers,
Grant.

Oxford tank bag & saddlebags + venturer pack. The quality is good , the price is ok & they don't look too bad. I used all these to take la cook to the cold kiwi recently. The best part is that when you get there it all comes off (except the pack frame) . Didn't seem to upset the handling on my cb 1300 @ all. You can get a grabrail to replace the packframe too.
The only problems we had were that the straps over the pillion seat get a bit uncomfortable on a long trip & the bags do rub a little on the side of the bike, a sheepskin solved these issues.

HTFU
22nd September 2007, 18:29
On both my GN and GPX I fitted ventura racks ($200) for bike specific bracket and rack. I recently purchased Rjays tank bag (small $40 one) and a expandable rack bag (150) from Motomail. The quality looks fine to me as it looks hard wearing stuff. The tank bag was a basic one but they have a good range of bigger ones. The rack bag is awesome. 40-80 L capacity, heaps of pockets etc and comes with a waterproof cover. I also have some throw over panniers and they are only used a few times a year when I am carting food back over to the beach. I am working on a budget and a smaller bike so the Rjays was the ticket, but the hard luggage would be my choice on a bigger ride.