PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone noticed how useless the French are at televising a Rugby match

Scouse
9th September 2007, 12:05
Like the title says Has anyone noticed how useless the French are at televising a Rugby match they do not seem to be able to get in close like the NZ or for that matter the Austrailian tv people can.

Krusti
9th September 2007, 12:11
Like the title says Has anyone noticed how useless the French are at televising a Rugby match they do not seem to be able to get in close like the NZ or for that matter the Austrailian tv people can.

The French match was way better than the AB match.

Was pondering this myself. May be that ABs played in a soccer stadium and they tend to use a wider viewing angle?

Pissed me off a little too. Not as much as the cut in, cut out picture during first half!

MisterD
9th September 2007, 12:18
Seems to depend on the Stadium, the France v Argies march had one of those cameras on wires so they had great overhead shots of the scrums and stuff....the England match was OK, but agreed the NZ match was piss poor.

Aitch
9th September 2007, 12:20
that the OB people in France are used to televsing soccer, which is a quite different bird when it comes to getting the right angles.

xwhatsit
9th September 2007, 12:40
Well the All Black match was at Stade Velodrome, which is a major football stadium -- the football lines were still painted on the pitch. So all their camera set-ups would be designed for football, which is a much more expansive and faster game than rugby so the cameras would be better designed for that. It wasn't that bad, it would've looked very good if I had high-definition widescreen, but somewhat lacking on a normal telly.

I'm glad they got the cutting out sorted relatively smartly. Not sure whether that was a problem with the Channel 3 broadcast of it, or the French camera feed. Who cares, really. I stayed up to watch the Australia/Japan match (GOOOOOOOO JAPAN!!!) at Lyon and the camera-work was quite a bit better.

Skyryder
9th September 2007, 13:23
Oddly enough I thought the coverage was an improvement for the very reason that you considered it bad. I think our coverage gets in too close at times and as such you can not get the full spectrum of what is happening on the field. By the time the camera has panned 'out' the play has moved beyond the close up and some of the games integrity has been lost.

Skyryder

Scouse
9th September 2007, 13:49
Oddly enough I thought the coverage was an improvement for the very reason that you considered it bad. I think our coverage gets in too close at times and as such you can not get the full spectrum of what is happening on the field. By the time the camera has panned 'out' the play has moved beyond the close up and some of the games integrity has been lost.

SkyryderAh well just goes to show that they will never please everyone eh

MacD
9th September 2007, 15:05
It wasn't that bad, it would've looked very good if I had high-definition widescreen, but somewhat lacking on a normal telly.

I've been watching the games in widescreen via TV3 on Sky (not HD yet unfortunately) and have noticed a lot of mpeg compression artifact in the coverage. My normal TV3 reception is too poor to do a good comparison, so I'm wondering if the feed from France is the problem or the amount of compression Sky is running on the satellite feed? Anybody else noticed the same thing?

MotoGirl
9th September 2007, 16:04
Although not related to camera angles, I thought the commentary on the Argentina match was interesting at the end. A guy had a baby and the commentator said it was crying "tears of joy". Bawahahaha, I'm sure it had nothing to do with being scared shitless of the tens of thousands of people screaming around it!

NighthawkNZ
9th September 2007, 16:08
Has anyone noticed how useless the French are at televising a Rugby match

Whats this rugby thing... :scratch:

nudemetalz
9th September 2007, 16:33
Well the coverage was wide enough to see Mr Hamon giving an Italian a few connections from his left hook.... :jerry:

Devil
9th September 2007, 20:08
I've been watching the games in widescreen via TV3 on Sky (not HD yet unfortunately) and have noticed a lot of mpeg compression artifact in the coverage. My normal TV3 reception is too poor to do a good comparison, so I'm wondering if the feed from France is the problem or the amount of compression Sky is running on the satellite feed? Anybody else noticed the same thing?

Oh god, dont get me started on the forking widescreen!
It's rugby for christs sake! Give me a full screen you bastards!