PDA

View Full Version : £150 fine for 125mph biker who had to spend a penny

Bob
7th October 2004, 00:19
An urgent need to spend a penny led to a motorcyclist speeding on the M53 motorway, it was claimed at Wirral Magistrates' Court. Marc Moffatt was recorded at around 120mph as he sped to find a toilet. Defence solicitor handed the District judge a doctors letter explaining Mr Moffat’s need.

The judge said he was satisfied that there were mitigating circumstances to prevent disqualification but not endorsement. Moffatt was awarded five penalty points and fined £150.

Moffatt said after the hearing: "I was pleased with the outcome of the case but it is something I still find extremely embarrassing."

StoneChucker
7th October 2004, 00:26
Nice outcome, but how would you get a doctors letter, unless you had a medical condition? Whether he does or not, I doubt it would work a second time.

And it definitely wouldn't work here in NZ me thinks :Police: (Can't blame them either, it is a little far fetched - even though it was the case)

bluninja
7th October 2004, 02:06
Perhaps when he gets caught spending a penny in public...he can ask if they'd rather he had a pee against a wall or rode at 125 mph to find a proper toilet :crazy:

If I'm bursting for a pee on a motorway I take the next off ramp and find a bush. I hate riding when I need a pee....imagine having an off and peeing myself.

I wonder what would have happened if he'd done it 'tour de France' style and tucked it out to the side whilst riding. But then maybe his Johnson is inversley proprotional to the size of his bike :)

Bob
7th October 2004, 02:15
Of course, he could have always claimed he was a taxi driver.

Nice old piece of law: taxi drivers - of the licenced kind (black cabs as they are referred to over here) - are allowed to pee out from the cab.

Reason? Because they are not allowed to leave the horses unattended!

Of course, if one of them tries to use this law, you can then have them arrested for not having their bale of hay in the boot to feed the horse (yes, you are perfectly entitled to demand a cabbie is arrested if he doesn't have a bale of hay in the boot).

Likewise, you can have all the Sunday morning soccer players put inside - they should be at archery practice!

The latter seems like a very good idea to me...

Bob
7th October 2004, 02:19
I wonder what would have happened if he'd done it 'tour de France' style and tucked it out to the side whilst riding. But then maybe his Johnson is inversley proprotional to the size of his bike :)

Even more scary, he could have done an Isadora Duncan :gob:

bluninja
7th October 2004, 02:46
Of course, he could have always claimed he was a taxi driver.

Nice old piece of law: taxi drivers - of the licenced kind (black cabs as they are referred to over here) - are allowed to pee out from the cab.

Actually they are allowed to pee against the wheels. This only applies to licensed Hackney carriage drivers
Reason? Because they are not allowed to leave the horses unattended!

Of course, if one of them tries to use this law, you can then have them arrested for not having their bale of hay in the boot to feed the horse (yes, you are perfectly entitled to demand a cabbie is arrested if he doesn't have a bale of hay in the boot).

Sorry, but this old chestnut has been superceded by newer bye laws (and again it only applied to licensed hackney carriage drivers)
Likewise, you can have all the Sunday morning soccer players put inside - they should be at archery practice!

The latter seems like a very good idea to me...

I guess I did learn a few things getting my private hire license. BTW did you know a private hire driver can charge what they like for a fare?....oh you've already had that happen :o

Bob
7th October 2004, 03:27
Bluninja,

Thanks for specifying 'Hackney Cab' etc - for the life of me I couldn't think of the correct name!

And bearing in mind I live in Ilford - a place which, reputedly has more Hackney Cab drivers resident than just about anywhere else [1] - I really should know this!

Notice nobody has commented on Isadora though...

[1] But I can never find one working when I need one! Probably because they are on their way home after finishing work of course.

Ghost Lemur
7th October 2004, 16:54

Bahahaha :killingme

NordieBoy
8th October 2004, 08:00

Scary?
Eye watering indeed... :wacko:

"She wore scarves which trailed behind her, and this caused her death in a freak accident in Nice, France. She was killed when her scarf caught in the wheel of her friend Ivan Falchetto's Bugatti automobile. As the driver sped off, the long cloth wrapped around the vehicle's axle. Ms. Duncan was yanked violently from the car and dragged for several yards before the driver realized what had happened. She died almost instantly from a broken neck."