PDA

View Full Version : Otago: Glenorchy Motorcycle Rally finished

Jantar
10th September 2007, 21:07
Bad news, I've just had the following letter passed on to me.

Glenorchy Motorcycle Rally

Hackett
Freddy
Boots
Grover Chasers Touring Bunch
PO Box 7052
Invercargill

Dear Rally Participants

We have, after a great deal of discussion & soul searching, decided that is in our best interest to stop holding the Glenorchy Motorcycle Rally.
After nine years of holding the Rally we had hoped to make the tenth one a special event but with declining numbers thru the gate , increasing costs & the logistics of holding the rally in its remote location we were not ready to take the gamble of just breaking even or being in the red again this time.
Declining numbers & unpredictable weather has finally spelt the end for the rally.
Thanks for your support

If there are any queries please don’t hesitate to contact us at the above address or phone
Hackett (03)218 6481
Freddy (03)216 4632

Yours sincerely

Grover Chasers Touring Bunch (Southland)

PS : please tell anyone you know including any groups & clubs

PPS: Special thanks to Iris Scott & Reece Valley Station for the site, & our sponsors, who over the years have supported us with prizes to go with our trophies & all the other countless people who have been in some way roped in to help.

Life’s journey is not 2 arrive @ the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather 2 skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - Jeez what a ride!

scumdog
10th September 2007, 21:17
Mwaaa, bugger!:crybaby:
The first KB get-together for the new year gone!

Always really looked forward to it - the trip there was magic - meet you and Dangerous, Mr S., Rashika etc etc, a night in Q'town then off to the rally, that always was a high-light to set the rest of the year.:2thumbsup

miSTa
10th September 2007, 21:31
Doesn't really surprise me unfortunately. I've done 5 of of them and then there was the year that wasn't; the numbers were certainly getting less and less each year. Most due to their own (the rally organisers) actions I reckon. The first couple were great, good numbers, knock shop, etc, then one year things were horribly expensive and the people didn't come back. It was only the ride there and back that kept the die hards going back after that, and a fantastic ride it was at that. It would have rate as one of my favourites.

As SD said the Friday nights we had in Queenstown were great, this years luge was good old fashioned fun!

Does give an idea on something we could do as a replacement...was discussed at the Vincent...

Ghost_Bullet
10th September 2007, 22:58
Shite well was glad I made it this 2007. A shame as the whole weekend was a ripper. And what does that mean the next one would be the Vincent after the xmas festivities? Must make the "ride on" to this then.

T.W.R
10th September 2007, 23:03
Bugger! though be honest the appeal fell away for myself when it ceased to be the Remarkables Rally

RIP

Jantar
11th September 2007, 08:32
Shite well was glad I made it this 2007. A shame as the whole weekend was a ripper. And what does that mean the next one would be the Vincent after the xmas festivities? Must make the "ride on" to this then.
Next is Woodstaock at the end of January. Certainly going to bigger crowds there without the competition of the Glenorchy rally.

Rashika
11th September 2007, 08:51
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..... NOT fair :crybaby:
Best weekend trip ever! gawd damnit...
guess I may well get to the vincent next year instead, as I prob wont go to the HOG rally next year

idb
11th September 2007, 12:38
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..... NOT fair :crybaby:
Best weekend trip ever! gawd damnit...
guess I may well get to the vincent next year instead, as I prob wont go to the HOG rally next year

Pffft!
Just another weekend around home to me.

Rashika
11th September 2007, 12:52
Pffft!
Just another weekend around home to me.

yeah... so you will be coming to the great KB get together in dec then? That will make a decent ride for you... :bleh:

idb
11th September 2007, 13:00
yeah... so you will be coming to the great KB get together in dec then? That will make a decent ride for you... :bleh:

Don't you dare me!!!

Rashika
11th September 2007, 13:03
Don't you dare me!!!

oooooo go on I DOUBLE dare you :spudbooge

idb
11th September 2007, 13:03
It is a shame though.
The Friday night out was always good and the gathering at the Glenorchy pub usually had some good entertainment!!!!
The rally itself was incidental really.

And I never get sick of that road.

idb
11th September 2007, 13:04
oooooo go on I DOUBLE dare you :spudbooge

Shit!!!!!
Now you've done it!!!!

Ghost_Bullet
11th September 2007, 15:10
It is a shame though.
The Friday night out was always good and the gathering at the Glenorchy pub usually had some good entertainment!!!!

Totally aggree, and it was only my first time to this gig, I think for just the fact of the Fri and travel to and from made it one of the best in the season.

NighthawkNZ
11th September 2007, 15:41
:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :( :( :( snif sniff sniff...

buger bugger and tarnation

idb
11th September 2007, 16:39
You could always just jump on your bikes and come and see me!!

NighthawkNZ
11th September 2007, 16:45

do you have a big enough back yard to have 30 bikers and tents? :D

Jantar
11th September 2007, 17:08
do you have a big enough back yard to have 30 bikers and tents? :D
I do. :done:

miSTa
11th September 2007, 18:07
It is a shame though.

At least I won't have some hoon on a red bike, don't remember the make and model sorry, come roaring past me and then stopping in front me every five minutes...

laRIKin
11th September 2007, 18:21
As said it is a shame to lose a rally.

And in ways does not surprise me.
When I went to one of them the price of the drinks were so high.
That I was going to ride back in to Queenstown to buy them.
I had a few drinks and was sober all night as I was not going to pay that price for a drink.
We and others that I know have never gone back because of that.

The ride to the site was the best thing.
But I liked the Remarkables Rally better.
Pity the fools Helicopter in strippers in to a public camp site and got band (?) from having anymore rallies there.

NighthawkNZ
11th September 2007, 18:26
At least I won't have some hoon on a red bike, don't remember the make and model sorry, come roaring past me and then stopping in front me every five minutes...

Gee I wounder who that was... :Playnice: and as he says it is Character :beer:

miSTa
11th September 2007, 18:32
Gee I wounder who that was... :Playnice: and as he says it is Character :beer:

It was a he? That'll help me tracked the over-charactered culprit!

Lemans, I think you mean "banned" perhaps? I've heard plenty of good things about the Remarkables rally sadly though I've never went one...probably cause I wasn't in the South Island :doh:

NighthawkNZ
11th September 2007, 18:41
I've heard plenty of good things about the Remarkables rally sadly though I've never went one...probably cause I wasn't in the South Island :doh:

I never got to go to one either... mainly for the same reason :doh: I did enjoy the Glenochy one but thought the prices were a bit high... however understood why... (doesn't mean I have to like it)

laRIKin
11th September 2007, 18:42
Lemans, I think you mean "banned" perhaps? I've heard plenty of good things about the Remarkables rally sadly though I've never went one...probably cause I wasn't in the South Island :doh:

That's it, banned.
That's why I put the the (?) there.
Could not think what it was, (not the best speller) and the spell check was no help.
And I did not have my SDU spell check beside me (at work).
Now where is that Bourbon bottle.

And you missed a great rally.
The Remarkables Rally was a good one for us and are still wearing some of the T shirts.

NighthawkNZ
11th September 2007, 18:45
That's it, banned.
And I did not have my SDU spell check beside me (at work).

I have Xaria Spell check... works a treat... oh wait bugger shes gone to the gym :slap:

laRIKin
11th September 2007, 18:48
I have Xaria Spell check... works a treat... oh wait bugger shes gone to the gym :slap:

Is yours a grammar checker as well?
Mine also cooks cleans and keeps me warm on cold nights.:devil2:

Mutley
11th September 2007, 18:51
I do. :done:

And do you have a coffee pot big enough for us all.:D

NighthawkNZ
11th September 2007, 18:53
Is yours a grammar checker as well?
Mine also cooks cleans and keeps me warm on cold nights.:devil2:

yes... yes... yes... and yes... and I finally got her to ride her own ride :D

Jantar
11th September 2007, 19:06
And do you have a coffee pot big enough for us all.:D
I can probably arrange that too. :yes:

Rashika
11th September 2007, 19:16

yeah you're right...

...we'd have to do that as your bike probably wouldn't make it all the way to Kaikoura :bleh::dodge:

Ghost_Bullet
11th September 2007, 19:17

Ha ha no no, you would only be stopping together... oh to have aroad side friend uh!!!!!!!:shifty:

mbazza
11th September 2007, 19:22
Hey, idb & Jantar, sounds like a great scheme, tents paddocks, Arrowtown, Alex when? Cheers.:Punk:

miSTa
11th September 2007, 19:28
Ha ha no no, you would only be stopping together... oh to have aroad side friend uh!!!!!!!:shifty:

You my friend should be careful what you say. Who had a starting problem in the Lewis Pass a few weeks ago? Mmmmmm, hey, hello...

Ghost_Bullet
11th September 2007, 19:36
You my friend should be careful what you say. Who had a starting problem in the Lewis Pass a few weeks ago? Mmmmmm, hey, hello...

Sorry... mmmm dont recall a thing. what starting problem... :eek5:

Xaria
11th September 2007, 19:40
Hey if it is Jantars, can I bring my Mummy and Daddy? They live just up the road.
Another advantage of his place is that there are precise GPS coordinates already available on the internet.

Rashika
11th September 2007, 19:41
Hey if it is Jantars, can I bring my Mummy and Daddy? They live just up the road.
Another advantage of his place is that there are precise GPS coordinates already available on the internet.

thats good cos Dangerous needs all the help he can get to avoid getting lost... :chase:

Jantar
11th September 2007, 19:44
Our place is available anytime at all. An organised get together or just turn up. We've got 11 acres for you to do what you like in. :apint: :buggerd: :spanking: :doctor: or anything else.

Xaria
11th September 2007, 19:50
thats good cos Dangerous needs all the help he can get to avoid getting lost... :chase:

I have the GPS and can STILL get lost. So many interesting things to look at, who needs a map?

NighthawkNZ
11th September 2007, 19:52
I have the GPS and can STILL get lost. So many interesting things to look at, who needs a map?

I'm just lost :blink:

dangerous
11th September 2007, 20:05
Dont be decieved people... there is a little politics here, I know through my sorces that the crowd running the Glen rally would only do it if they make money, and believe me they make lots of it.
The beer dosnt have to be as dear as it is, they just dont stand to make a lot of money anymore.

All the same Im gutted it is the best ride a biker can do from up this way, and a very enjoyable rally.
I will miss the Friday night bunking with Scumdog and his loud farts, luging with the boys n girls and the Fri night feed at Winnies and a few drinks to boot... OHHH and the awesome streach of 50k's of the best senic road one could hope for.

Ghost_Bullet
11th September 2007, 20:13
Could almost be worth making somthing in that area one year for our KB get together

Rashika
11th September 2007, 20:23
Could almost be worth making somthing in that area one year for our KB get together

hmmm now THAT sounds like a plan GB ;)

scumdog
11th September 2007, 20:26
I've heard plenty of good things about the Remarkables rally sadly though I've never went one...probably cause I wasn't in the South Island :doh:

Then you missed some great rallies - and it was handier to Queenstown - but not TOO handy.

And it was ay one I broke the chain on my Sporty and 98TLS's mate gave me and my scoot a lift home.
A HD alongside a Puchs(?) motorbike.
See? No favouritism.
:niceone:

NighthawkNZ
11th September 2007, 20:27
hmmm now THAT sounds like a plan GB ;)

There are a few other ideas also floating around to fill the gap as well :) Just not sure how to organise it :doh:

Daffyd
11th September 2007, 20:27

Great idea! :niceone:

Ghost_Bullet
11th September 2007, 20:32
There are a few other ideas also floating around to fill the gap as well :) Just not sure how to organise it :doh:

Fuk,dont let them float away... :cool:

Lil_Byte
11th September 2007, 20:50
Bugger

The 2007 was my first rally ever and really enjoyed it. Including meeting some rather interesting KB people.

Just hope my first attendance at the Pissed Penguin in a few days does not spell the end of it :crybaby:

miSTa
11th September 2007, 21:03
Dont be decieved people... there is a little politics here, I know through my sorces that the crowd running the Glen rally would only do it if they make money, and believe me they make lots of it.
The beer dosnt have to be as dear as it is, they just dont stand to make a lot of money anymore.
I'd go along with that. If they hadn't of got too greedy a few years then they would have turned so many off from returning in the following years.

laRIKin
11th September 2007, 21:30
yes... yes... yes... and yes... and I finally got her to ride her own ride :D
That's good to hear and to hear Xaria is riding.

I'd go along with that. If they hadn't of got too greedy a few years then they would have turned so many off from returning in the following years.
And that's is what I was saying.
I went up to buy a dozen bourbon and coke cans and I think it was $5-6 a can (I can remember that it was over $50) and that was on their first or one of their first rallies and that was when every one else was changing about $2 a can, 8 years ago.
And that is why I would never go back or would my friends.

tomtyer-drake
11th September 2007, 21:30
Overheads for these sort of events shouldnt be all that high, you need...
a mate with a field ($0)
a big tent (say $1000)
Booze (if you buy em bulk there about $1 per can... sell em for $2 and it pays for the entertainment)
porta-potties (no idea, but id say $1000 ish for a weekend)

so thats $2000, if your selling tickets at $25 its 80 people to break even...

im sure there are some costs there that im missing, but at the end of the day, people go where other people want to go... and there are a whole lot of KB'ers around.

NighthawkNZ
11th September 2007, 21:52
Bugger

The 2007 was my first rally ever and really enjoyed it. Including meeting some rather interesting KB people.

Just hope my first attendance at the Pissed Penguin in a few days does not spell the end of it :crybaby:

so you might be the jinx of it all :oi-grr:

scumdog
12th September 2007, 08:21
That's good to hear and to hear Xaria is riding.

And that's is what I was saying.
I went up to buy a dozen bourbon and coke cans and I think it was $5-6 a can (I can remember that it was over $50) and that was on their first or one of their first rallies and that was when every one else was changing about $2 a can, 8 years ago.
And that is why I would never go back or would my friends.

That's why I never got drunk - even WITH my own tequila.

(And I bought some takeaways at the Glenorchy jar-shop too)

idb
12th September 2007, 08:43
yeah you're right...

...we'd have to do that as your bike probably wouldn't make it all the way to Kaikoura :bleh::dodge:

You forgot to go back to your post and edit out the hurtful bit.........!!!!

idb
12th September 2007, 08:45

I think I spotted that tall mysterious stranger too.
Handsome devil as I recall.

scumdog
12th September 2007, 08:48
yeah you're right...

Aw c'mon, character like that you just can't BUY you know...... :innocent::whistle::dodge:

scumdog
12th September 2007, 08:50
I think I spotted that tall mysterious stranger too.
Handsome devil as I recall.

And a legend in his own lunchtime too!:woohoo:

Rashika
12th September 2007, 08:51
Aw c'mon, character like that you just can't BUY you know...... :innocent::whistle::dodge:

well actually you can... it starts with a 'D' and has an 'i' on the end :whistle:

idb
12th September 2007, 09:40
well actually you can... it starts with a 'D' and has an 'i' on the end :whistle:

havong troible tuping thrigh my tears niw

Rashika
12th September 2007, 11:02
havong troible tuping thrigh my tears niw

oh, dont be such a big girl :lol: here have a hankie... :sunny:
are you gonna be at the Pissed penguin this weekend? Only a wee trot down the road for you...

idb
12th September 2007, 11:10
oh, dont be such a big girl :lol: here have a hankie... :sunny:
are you gonna be at the Pissed penguin this weekend? Only a wee trot down the road for you...

For all sorts of reasons I'm not sure....but I really hope so.
I'll know better on Friday.

I'm in a shitty mood for the whole weekend if I miss out on a rally.

scumdog
12th September 2007, 11:53
For all sorts of reasons I'm not sure....but I really hope so.
I'll know better on Friday.

I'm in a shitty mood for the whole weekend if I miss out on a rally.

Sort of like "if a tree fall in the forest......will it still make a noise" story.

If no KBers are there to see you will you actually be shitty??:crazy:

Virago
12th September 2007, 15:53
...it starts with a 'D' and has an 'i' on the end :whistle:

DICK.

It starts with 'D' and has an eye on the end.

(Oh, never mind...)

Rashika
12th September 2007, 16:15
DICK.

It starts with 'D' and has an eye on the end.

(Oh, never mind...)

now THAT is not a very nice thing to say about IDB... :shutup:

NighthawkNZ
12th September 2007, 17:05
now THAT is not a very nice thing to say about IDB... :shutup:

no its not... funny none the less though :D

dangerous
12th September 2007, 20:38
Stop hassling IBD people...
memorys from the KB camp at the Glenorchy 2005-2006

dangerous
12th September 2007, 20:40
The Glenorchy will be sadly missed

dangerous
12th September 2007, 20:43
Most missed... sleeping with SD, Mr S and his vandalisem, the luge... and the scenery

dangerous
12th September 2007, 20:45
Thinking Ill have to start doing the Vincent instead now

NighthawkNZ
12th September 2007, 20:46
Thinking Ill have to start doing the Vincent instead now

The Vincents an Okay rally but the ride ain't the same

miSTa
12th September 2007, 20:47
memorys from the KB camp at the Glenorchy 2005-2006

The Glenorchy will be sadly missed
Nice post D. Plenty of good memories there.

miSTa
12th September 2007, 20:49
Most missed... sleeping with SD, Mr S and his vandalisem, the luge... and the scenery
Vandalism? It fell off all by itself I tell ya! :o :innocent:

scumdog
12th September 2007, 21:13
Great pics D, - ah the memories, the memories.

(Like bailing the water out of my tent with a t-shirt, CB 'adjusting' my goggles and putting them right over both eyes and blinding me before a crucial bend on the Glenorchy road, sharing a room with D. and R. and the temp being about 27 degrees and we melted... the list goes on.)

NighthawkNZ
12th September 2007, 21:16
Great pics D, - ah the memories, the memories.

(Like bailing the water out of my tent with a t-shirt, CB 'adjusting' my goggles and putting them right over both eyes and blinding me before a crucial bend on the Glenorchy road, sharing a room with D. and R. and the temp being about 27 degrees and we melted... the list goes on.)

Luckiy I not in any of them pics... tho I did notice me ride sitting in the back of one....

Ummm so does this really mean I actually have to rip the cheque up that was filled in for the 2008 rally.... sigh its all a joke right aye... i mean :(

dangerous
12th September 2007, 21:31
Luckiy I not in any of them pics...
na mate... well do 1/2 way decent pics anyway:beer:

NighthawkNZ
12th September 2007, 21:34

Ah crap... :lol: :baby:

:drinknsin :drinknsin

scumdog
12th September 2007, 21:35

Check that t-shirt out - ooh-err baby, whoo-eee!:laugh::banana::blip:

Ghost_Bullet
12th September 2007, 22:08
Awesome rememberance picturgraphs!!!!

Just taking a quick moment to reflect on grand memories.:niceone:

Rashika
13th September 2007, 06:59
hehe...man it was funny going trhu those piccies again. :msn-wink:

And I remember KB cleaning up in the prizes the first year I went (only done 2)
Best Iti, Best Yank, Best Jap, and grovers choice... and almost rat bike

Now who can remember what grovers choice was for TonyB??

can anyone say 'going bush on your FZR'? :bleh:

miSTa
13th September 2007, 07:08
Ah crap... :lol: :baby:

:drinknsin :drinknsin

Here's another one for you...

NighthawkNZ
13th September 2007, 07:11

I refuse to accept that, that is is me... oh wait..... bugger :lol: that was a good night

scumdog
13th September 2007, 07:13

Hoo-haa, check the cool dude with the Britten t-shirt on the right, he th' MAN!!:Punk:

miSTa
13th September 2007, 07:17
Check that t-shirt out - ooh-err baby, whoo-eee!:laugh::banana::blip:
The ugly dude on the left is Hellboy - he's coming down with us tomorrow.

Got more photos, there's one of Dangerous I should post feeding his face but it'll have to wait till tonight...work calls, bugger.

idb
13th September 2007, 08:25
What a handsome bunch, as is the profile of Tom's nostril.

Rashika
13th September 2007, 09:55
HAHAHAHAAA... why do you always look so grumpy?

What a handsome bunch, as is the profile of Tom's nostril.

and what a lovely nostril it is...:bleh:

glad thats only my back in the piccie

dangerous
13th September 2007, 18:43
And I remember KB cleaning up in the prizes the first year I went (only done 2)
Best Euro, Best Yank, Best Jap, and grovers choice... and almost rat bike

Now who can remember what grovers choice was for TonyB??

can anyone say 'going bush on your FZR'? :bleh:

I know I know... Tony went sailing past the gate to the rally crossed a ford or two shot up a 4x4 track till he came across the 1st hut for the tramp over to the coast... LOL you realy would have thought the bow wave up to his head lights would have given it away that hed gon a tad too far aye :doh:

Me old Guzzi got best Euro (suck on that Ducati) Rashika's Buell best yankedolittle, SuzyQ best Japer and well FDM nearly had rat bike. :jerry:

miSTa
13th September 2007, 18:56
Me old Guzzi got best Euro (suck on that Ducati)
Yeah yeah, fondle me left one...:eek:

FDM nearly had rat bike.
He should've had it, he was robbed.

idb
14th September 2007, 08:06

Me old Guzzi got best Euro (suck on that Ducati) Rashika's Buell best yankedolittle, SuzyQ best Japer and well FDM nearly had rat bike. :jerry:

Ducatis are too cool to enter those pathetic competitions.........

Rashika
14th September 2007, 08:16

you do (of course) have to make it TO the rally in order to enter the competitions :whistle: :wari:

NighthawkNZ
14th September 2007, 09:57
you do (of course) have to make it TO the rally in order to enter the competitions :whistle: :wari:

Well he does make it to the odd rally he just has a few more stops than the rest of us

idb
14th September 2007, 10:27
Well he does make it to the odd rally he just has a few more stops than the rest of us

It's a beautiful country...you should take more time off the bike to savour the sights.

dangerous
16th September 2007, 19:27

mate... not so I beat this Ducati :clap:

kiwi cowboy
16th September 2007, 21:42

iv,e heard a wisper that some fellers gona try to get something together around wanaka seemed pretty keen today when we parted company:bye:

xknuts
21st September 2007, 20:33
Hoo-haa, check the cool dude with the Britten t-shirt on the right, he th' MAN!!:Punk:

The overhang on that Mo should be banned!!!

Now Now, IDB does try n try n try!

iv,e heard a wisper that some fellers gona try to get something together around wanaka seemed pretty keen today when we parted company:bye:

Its a great time of year for a rally. The old 12 Mile Delta site half way to Glenorchy was great, too bad DOC fook it over, eh?
Wanaka is good anytime of the year, I hope someone picks it up and runs with it.

kiwi cowboy
21st September 2007, 21:22
...Its a great time of year for a rally. The old 12 Mile Delta site half way to Glenorchy was great, too bad DOC fook it over, eh?
Wanaka is good anytime of the year, I hope someone picks it up and runs with it.

it is great time of year unfortunitly i never got to the glenorchy one just getting back into rallying getting time away is hard.
will email fellas to see how they gettin on .
they were going to check out concents for a site they had in mind will keep posted.

KEN
24th September 2007, 13:35
Dont worry about the Glenorchy Rally, A good keen like minded party group of us from Dunedin are still going to Glenorchy,{DIRTY OLD TOWN} same time,same date, and staying in the Pub. or Camping ground.. With "NO RULES".. Keep in touch??...:beer: