PDA

View Full Version : Holy shit, we just had an earthquake!

LB
7th October 2004, 04:10

:shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit:

Seriously, the china cabinet rattled, it wasn't a big one, but it was definitely a quake!

Anyone else feel it?

LB
7th October 2004, 04:50
Jeez!! Another one!!!

But much stronger this time. Holy shit, I hope this isn't the start of the "Big One"!

NC
7th October 2004, 04:52

:shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit:

Seriously, the china cabinet rattled, it wasn't a big one, but it was definitely a quake!

Anyone else feel it?

Oh wicked!
Being in small earthquakes is kewl, apart from the fact that I get motion sickness. Ah I'm pathetic :mellow:

LB
7th October 2004, 04:57

Here's the GNS site with details of the 5.11am one: centred near Upper Hutt, 3.0 on the Richter scale, 9km deep

http://www.geonet.org.nz/latest.html

Second one:

centred near Upper Hutt (calling CelticNo6 - you okay?), 5.52am, 3.7 on the Richter scale, 8km deep

bluninja
7th October 2004, 05:06
So Lynda you were shaken when you stirred? That would make you a bit of a James Bond martini girl. :blah:

What?
7th October 2004, 05:33
You tryin' ta tell us the earth moved for you, Lynda??
Good on ya!!!

LB
7th October 2004, 05:50
So Lynda you were shaken when you stirred? That would make you a bit of a James Bond martini girl. :blah:

I wasn't stirred, I was already awake and on KB - maybe I could be come a news reporter???

LB
7th October 2004, 05:51
You tryin' ta tell us the earth moved for you, Lynda??
Good on ya!!!
Yeah, twice actually!

Ms Piggy
7th October 2004, 06:25
I didn't feel it but I did wake up at about that time. I always miss out on the fun! ;)

merv
7th October 2004, 07:32
Damn, never felt a thing - musta been sleeping well.

Eddieb
7th October 2004, 07:34
I slept through the first one but felt the 2nd, just one decent thump. First one I've felt since I've been back here.

Hitcher
7th October 2004, 08:04
Never felt a thing. Thanks for sharing!

riffer
7th October 2004, 08:39
Didn't feel the first one, but Tim did. I was woken up by him jumping in to bed with Gini and I.

We all felt the second one - a bit like the house was dropped from about 2 feet up.

Nothing our 95-year-old house hasn't seen before.

Tim's talked about nothing else all day though, according to Gini.

MrMelon
7th October 2004, 09:41
I missed out on feelin it! :(

Pwalo
7th October 2004, 09:50
Don't you just love living in Wellington. Faultlines galore. No wonder Jap bikes like it here. Must have scared those Ducatis though Lynda.

James Deuce
7th October 2004, 10:11
I'm from Auckland, and have lived in Wellington for 16 years now. Earthquakes still give me the runs, so quite frankly I am happy to sleep through them.

Devil
7th October 2004, 10:56
Was born in wellington and visit it many times per year, but ive still never felt an earthquake.

MikeL
7th October 2004, 12:10
Spent about 8 years in Wlg, never felt an earthquake. But I did find myself in the Bay of Plenty in 1987. Now that was scary...

Velox
7th October 2004, 16:00
STINK - I hate missing out on earthquakes.
But Lynda - why on earth were you already up at 4am?

Coldkiwi
7th October 2004, 16:27

Here's the GNS site with details of the 5.11am one: centred near Upper Hutt, 3.0 on the Richter scale, 9km deep

Second one:

centred near Upper Hutt (calling CelticNo6 - you okay?), 5.52am, 3.7 on the Richter scale, 8km deep

only 3.7 and 3.0??? damn. I suppose wellingtons still standing then :mad:

(hey, some JAFA had to say it right?)

Skunk
7th October 2004, 20:12
:spudwhat: I don't feel anything at that time of night! :thud:

Ghost Lemur
7th October 2004, 20:40
:spudwhat: I don't feel anything at that time of night! :thud:

Neither. I slept through some pretty good one's growing up in Wellington.

Gotta say though I've always been pissed off about the state of Wellington earthquakes. The whole time growing up with had drill after drill at school because "the big ones a coming". And do you think it ever did? No. What a bloody let down I can tell ya. Every year expecting death carnige and mayhem, and instead nothing. :angry2:

Blakamin
7th October 2004, 21:19
Neither. I slept through some pretty good one's growing up in Wellington.

Gotta say though I've always been pissed off about the state of Wellington earthquakes. The whole time growing up with had drill after drill at school because "the big ones a coming". And do you think it ever did? No. What a bloody let down I can tell ya. Every year expecting death carnige and mayhem, and instead nothing. :angry2:

nothing worse than hiding under a desk for nothing!!

riffer
7th October 2004, 21:43
only 3.7 and 3.0??? damn. I suppose wellingtons still standing then :mad:

(hey, some JAFA had to say it right?)

We all can't wait for those 17 dormant volcanoes you got up there to crank up one night. :laugh:

(hey, some Welly boy had to say it right?)

James Deuce
8th October 2004, 03:26
We all can't wait for those 17 dormant volcanoes you got up there to crank up one night. :laugh:

(hey, some Welly boy had to say it right?)

There's 53 volcanoes in the Auckland area, and there's no such thing as a dormant or extinct volcano. Had a fantastic tour lead by a geologist when I was 17. Made me move away. Wellington is much safer.

Coldkiwi
8th October 2004, 11:47
There's 53 volcanoes in the Auckland area, and there's no such thing as a dormant or extinct volcano.

tis true... but I understand that there's a bit more known about the auckland volcanic scene than when wellingtons next big one will hit. Dunno.. could be wrong :gob: