PDA

View Full Version : Leather jacket on Trademe query.

zeocen
12th September 2007, 00:00
So what do you all think of this then..
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=117696947

$350, RRP of $900 seems like a fricken bargain, which makes me think.. is it too good to be true?
I have a little bit of a soft spot for AS gear, although it does come without armour, which is a big negative for me. The price is just very tempting and his sales record seems to be spotless.

Any body have any thoughts? And, if your thoughts are negative, have you got an idea on where to go for a leather jacket? I'm in the market for one, for summer time. My 'sweatcapades' I went through last summer in my textiles weren't pleasant.

Cheers muchly!

Steam
12th September 2007, 09:01
...it does come without armour, which is a big negative for me....
You can get armour to put in quite cheaply on trademe, so don't let that stop ya.
THat is amazingly cheap though. How can it be so cheap?

...'sweatcapades'...
I thought leathers were hotter than textiles?

bert_is_evil
12th September 2007, 09:16
Best ask the trader how they can afford to sell it so cheap and see if they come up with a feasible answer.

If you're having perspiration issues perhaps you should go for leather with some vents. I have this shift jacket for example (only cost $380NZ on ebay), the white bits are mesh and strategically placed so the cool breeze goes straight to the armpit region and there are vents on the shoulders, it's incredibly cool in the summer time (not so good in the winter though, the vents also let in rain which leaves you with damp patches under your arms!)

I thought leathers were hotter than textiles?

Not necessarily... my leather jacket is way cooler than my cordura jacket, don't ask me why, but it is, and it's only got a couple of vents behind the back of my shoulders.

zeocen
12th September 2007, 10:14
Yeah, I actually have an old hand-me-down leather jacket that's heavy and bulky, but is still cooler than my cordura jacket.. and I'd rather something that hugs me a bit better than my jacket (can feel a bit flimsy without winter lining in).

I've asked the seller how he can sell them so cheap, awaiting reply.

That Shift jacket looks pretty good too, I never thought of using ebay.. Might have to have a gander!

I've also thought about Quasimoto leather jackets, the ones around the $400 mark seem to have zippable vents which seem kinda cool, but I'm iffy on the designs of them, does anyone know if they have more designs available than what's on their website? I'd much rather support a local company than buy overseas/trademe if the funds allow.

Cheers again !

MSTRS
12th September 2007, 10:42
My Quasi jacket seems fine. It has the zippable vents which are great for hot days. On really cold days, you can feel cool air just penetrating thru the zips, but not too bad.

BigG
12th September 2007, 17:51
Could be made in Pakistan, thats why so cheep, a lot of leather gear comes from there.

surfchick
12th September 2007, 18:00
the photo does seem to indicate its a real one cause it looks to be well made - but can you go see it before bidding- if the build is bad or the leather thinner than alpines std for the jacket (which will be published) theh it couold eb a rip-off. i needed a jacket with really long arms (compared with my shoudler width) because I'm a special kind of ape it would seem. and the reach on the ducati is Loooong so I imported an ICON MOTORHEAD jacket from the states:love:

sunhuntin
12th September 2007, 18:01
if you are at all leary, you might be best to either pick it up, or get someone else to.

Paulus
12th September 2007, 18:26
A while back a guy was selling some supposed Dainese gear cheap on TM. It looked like cheap nasty rip off gear and when I asked him why it wasn't in any of the catalogues he replied he had a friend in the factory that sent him stuff cheap and it would be out next year. Yeah right!!!!

This jacket looks pretty good though. As said above go and pick it up if you can and check it carefully.

zeocen
12th September 2007, 18:30
Well, he's also selling a Dainese for cheaper (which struck a chord with me... I always thought Dainese was top of the line stuff, and would be more expensive than AS gear).

I don't think I'll be able to make it to Tauranga any time soon to have a look, although he does mention if it doesn't fit/you don't like it you can return it for a refund. I think I might just count this one out and go in another direction.. trying to save for a new bike here, can't afford to get ripped off!

Mate, all the dodgy sellers tell you you can refund it if there are any issues, but wait till you try eh ;)

NSR-Dan
12th September 2007, 21:29
The problem is that even genuine alpinestars jackets are made in china now. and when i went over just recently there were alot of rip off alpinestars that were being sold in the markets. ask what country he imported it from if he says china ask wich part of china as if its the south like guangzou, guandong etc its most likely fake. Put it this way, i import alpinestars jackets from the US and i cant get them that cheap which makes this guy sound dodgy.
I think its not from the factory as alpinestars has strick regulations on who the wholesalers are in the world (there is one wholesaler for NZ and Aus). To buy of an approver alpinestars wholesaler you must be a retailer and buy directly from that wholesaler assigned to your part of the world and apply for an account with them. if not you can only buy from an overseas retailer which is what i do and i have done alot of research and there is nowhere to get them that cheap and im talking cost price.

NSR-Dan
12th September 2007, 21:43
Actually yeah its definitly fake. its not even in the alpinestars catalog.

zeocen
12th September 2007, 22:15
Ahh, thank you Dan and KB! Saved me a lot of time and money there, now I feel bad for the people who have bought the sub par quality jackets from him in the past... Especially things that can save your skin, very cheeky.

It was too good to be true after all, but not to fear, I will have a leather jacket by summer I'm sure !

Thanks again all, your wisdom is appreciated.

McJim
12th September 2007, 22:21
Mate - go see Quasi - if you're really skint he may sell you a last year's stock jacket....then you can look like me!

inlinefour
12th September 2007, 22:23
So what do you all think of this then..
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=117696947

$350, RRP of $900 seems like a fricken bargain, which makes me think.. is it too good to be true?
I have a little bit of a soft spot for AS gear, although it does come without armour, which is a big negative for me. The price is just very tempting and his sales record seems to be spotless.

Any body have any thoughts? And, if your thoughts are negative, have you got an idea on where to go for a leather jacket? I'm in the market for one, for summer time. My 'sweatcapades' I went through last summer in my textiles weren't pleasant.

Cheers muchly!

Sometimes its just a case of who you know and its all legit. I have a heap of top qualiy riding gear that I will be putting up for sale on trademe for one dollar reserve. Not everyone knows why I'm getting rid of it all, although I will put a short explanation why I'm getting rid of it. There will be some good bargins for those who want to take the punt and those who think its too good to be true, will simply dip out.

zeocen
12th September 2007, 22:38
Damn man, any idea on when those auctions will be up? Say, before summer well and truely sets in? hehe.

Jamie: That could be a go'er too! I don't quite remember your jacket but I'm pretty sure I liked the look of it, how is it in summer for air flow?

Paulus
12th September 2007, 23:27
If you ever want Dainese gear cheap its always worth checking www.bimoto.be (Dainese Pro shop in Belgium). I've bought tons of stuff from him (as have many others) and hes a stand up guy. Check his outlet section and his bargains section too. Occasionally you can get a steal.