PDA

View Full Version : "The Biker"

placidfemme
2nd March 2007, 14:08
Off a MySpace Bulliten:

Pulled this off the Honda riders group. It was good and worth sharing...

from Juan Valdez:

I have repost this to ask if everyone else will repost it also. I believe this is very important.If we can help people to understand and if that understanding can save even just one life then it is worth that minute it took to read and repost it.Please help me to get this out to as many people as we can.The chain reaction to get this message out can start here with your help.

THE BIKER

When you see us moving past you quickly:

Don't take offense or think we're trying to "show off". Ninety five percent of the time, we're trying to get out of your blind spot or taking ourselves out of a potential dangerous situation that has evolved around us. Distancing ourselves from you does not mean we want to race, but that we're giving ourselves the edge we need at the moment.

When you hear our horn:

Don't take offense or think we're trying to aggravate you. All we're doing is letting you know where we are in relation to you on the road, and we're more than likely aware of your inattentiveness to us while you're talking on a cell phone, eating, reading or involved in some other distracting aspect to your driving. It's important to us, and you, that you know we're there.

When you hear our loud pipes:

Don't become angry and hostile toward us. Yes, some are quite loud, but for some, there's a purpose behind being loud. It's about letting you know we're close by and we're constantly hoping that our investment in this accessory will help save our lives. Our pipes are really not about our ego...it's a pride and personalization to our form of transportation.

When you see us in our clothes:

Don't become fearful of us or think us weird. Our leather jackets, chaps, gloves and boots are the barriers between loosing massive amounts of flesh should something cause us to go down...nothing more, nothing less. Safety gear is paramount to our riding. We wear patches on our jackets, and pins on our vests. These are symbols of pride and honor within our group(s), individuals giving back to those who gave. These things bond us as a brotherhood and sisterhood among bikers. Not that we're better than anyone else, but that we have the same kind of nobility and pride in our accomplishments as you may have in the various aspects of your life. I guess one could say; our patches and pins are the decals and the bumper stickers of our involvement with society and the general public, of which we are very pleased to be a part of in our own little way.

When you see us in a restaurant:

You don't have to shield your child or feel intimidated. We have family, wives, husbands, children and loved ones too, just like you. We smile; we laugh and enjoy the moments we have. We are approachable, and would befriend you, if given the opportunity.

When you see us in a parking lot:

Don't convince yourself that we're there to "get you". More than likely, we just finished a long ride and are taking a break. Or, we may be meeting up with other riders for a charity run for young children, or another very worthy cause. We may just be admiring one another's bikes, sharing our pride with other brothers and sisters, just like you do with your personal vehicle.
It's what we do...it's a part of our lives, and we'd be more than welcome to share with you what riding a bike is all about...if you'd only ask.

When you see aggressive riding bikers:

Don't put us all in the same stereotypical category as those whose behavior and actions would cause you to react in disgust and intolerance. Many of us do not agree with this style of riding either, and we know and understand that human nature tends to blend us all together as the "same group". Most of us don't want that title...and don't deserve it.

When you see a group of bikers on the roadways:

Give us the courtesy of sharing the road with you.
Please don't "move in" between several bikers in formation. This gets us very excited and nervous, especially when it's done with no due regard for our safety. Provide us with your awareness of the fact that we are much more vulnerable than you. We don't want to challenge you, for all of us are wise enough to know...we'd lose that battle.

When you are turning left or entering a roadway/highway:

Look, then look again...and then one more time. For we can be easily hidden, and appear to be invisible by such things as a telephone pole, another vehicle, bright lights or the glare of the sun...or possibly, the beads hanging from your rearview mirror, among numerous other items that are displayed there. If you see us flashing our lights at you or blowing our horn, we're only trying to ensure that you will see us before tragedy changes both our lives.

When you are behind us:

Please give us the room we need and don't tailgate us. If you hit us, we're going down...HARD! We don't want to play games with you, we just want to enjoy the ride and the fresh air, and experience that which many of you have never lived for. If we accelerate away from you, don't interpret this action as though we want to drag race you. We're only trying to take ourselves out of a bad situation if you insist on being too close.

When, and if, you experience road rage:

Don't take it out on us just because we're smaller than you and more vulnerable. Think about what you're doing and the end result that may become a reality. The consequences of your actions and choices could be very detrimental to our well being, our families, our children and our loved ones. Yes, there are those that can tend to piss you off, however, rage towards them will not solve the issues, but accentuate them. Nine out of ten bikers will do everything they can to take themselves out of that situation without causing you or them harm.

When you have an opportunity to talk to us:

You'll discover, outside any influenced or stereotypical mindset you may have, that we are just as human as you are, just with different interests and toys. Many of us would give you the shirt off our back if it would tend to brighten your day or console you in some way. We're really no different...and we drive cars, trucks and vans too. So, meet us and greet us...I think you'll be pleasantly surprised that you'll be met with open arms.

Thank You for attempting to understand.

90s
2nd March 2007, 14:17
... my bike has a horn now?

No, thanks for this placidfemme. Bit American for me (charity run for young children?) but the thought is there. Maybe we could kiwi it up a bit by rewriting it with a few 'good as golds' and a little less syrup?

j_redley
2nd March 2007, 14:20
I've seen that some where before, and how does your bike not have a horn?

hXc
2nd March 2007, 14:21
It's sad that that even has to be written and shown to cagers. But, it's one of those things that probably wouldn't help the slightest. Although it means well, most of them just don't get it.

hXc
2nd March 2007, 14:22
I've seen that some where before, and how does your bike not have a horn?Sarcasm; a gift all deserve.

The Pastor
2nd March 2007, 14:26
Off a MySpace Bulliten:

Pulled this off the Honda riders group. It was good and worth sharing...

from Juan Valdez:

You don't have to shield your child or feel intimidated. We have family, wives, husbands, children and loved ones too, just like you. We smile; we laugh and enjoy the moments we have. We are approachable, and would befriend you, if given the opportunity.

You may have to remind them on how to pay for their meals!:Punk:

Virago
2nd March 2007, 16:57
When you are turning left or entering a roadway/highway

Definately American - for us it's the right-turners that are the biggest threat????

A good article though.

Waylander
2nd March 2007, 17:07
... my bike has a horn now?

No, thanks for this placidfemme. Bit American for me (charity run for young children?) but the thought is there.
What are the Toy Runs here then? I can't see all those little stuffed animals and whatnot going to teenagers or adults.

Toaster
2nd March 2007, 17:13
I need a decent horn for my bike... the standard one is gay.

Street Gerbil
2nd March 2007, 19:38
Get Stebel... but keep the standard one and a hidden switch (for WOF inspection).

Swoop
2nd March 2007, 19:44
PF, a good find and worthy of posting. Hopefully drivers do read these and understand.
Bling to you.

You may have to remind them on how to pay for their meals!:Punk:
As for this post... Grow up you fucking retard!

redhed
2nd March 2007, 20:28
Sounds great. Every tinny should get to read this when getting a licence & when renewing it.
Maybe it should be a yearly reminder for them to read.
Good posting

Romeo
2nd March 2007, 20:38
Good points made, as the "non-bike owning whipping boy" of the formation I'm always relegated to the back ;/ [can't afford a bike, but tag along on the classic bike runs]. It's amazing how many idiots I have to block from overtaking when I'm observing the 5+ second rule behind the pack of bikes. These tards think they can pass me, then scoot around a string of 20+ bikes [even though everyones doing 110kmh+] ;s. Also pisses me off when I see cars tailgating bikes, makes me rage. Anyone know where I can get a bumper sticker saying "I yield for [kiwi]bikers" or something along those lines?

//Who lanesplit past me on Thursday morning outside the ChCh hospital on the white Cruiser with the top-box. Not cool dude, who lanesplits in a corner - between two cars ;s. I could have seriously mangled you and I would get the blame.

MyGSXF
2nd March 2007, 20:48
Bit American for me (charity run for young children?) but the thought is there

My club in ChCh do a charity ride every year for a childrens home near Lyttleton, for generally 'underprivileged kids' who's parents that need a break. :yes: Everyone donates indoor art & craft materials & books, for the kids for Winter

& as Waylander says, there's the 'toy runs' on all over the country at christmas. The last Nelson one I went on, there was around 300 bikes! Plus there's the easter 'Egg runs' by Bronz. Who do you think reaps all the goodies from these charity rides???? :wait:

PF.. this is awesome :Punk: I reckon it should be a mandatory part of CAR licencing.. to be able to recite it word for word.. from memory!!!! :shutup:

Jen :rockon:

Shadows
3rd March 2007, 00:15
Anyone know where I can get a bumper sticker saying "I yield for [kiwi]bikers" or something along those lines?

www.bikerfriend.org (http://www.bikerfriend.org)

mstriumph
3rd March 2007, 00:35
How's about "When you see me coming, either lead, follow or get the hell out of my way ............." :innocent:

'twasn't me that said that - was SPman - honest ........ the DEVIL made me do it ...:dodge:

Waylander
3rd March 2007, 11:58
& as Waylander says, there's the 'toy runs' on all over the country at christmas. The last Nelson one I went on, there was around 300 bikes! Plus there's the easter 'Egg runs' by Bronz. Who do you think reaps all the goodies from these charity rides???? :wait:

Not just winter and Christmas. Checked the Calendar lately? Cambridge-Hamilton toy run is comming up soon.

ceebie13
3rd March 2007, 12:12
I suspect a lot of the cagers at whom that piece was aimed are probably 15 year old boy racers who can't even read let alone understand or absorb its contents. Nah...quite good as the sentiment in it is, I'm afraid that educating the masses of cagers who drive the roads of New Zealand comfortably oblivious to what's going on around them will be an uphill task... Especially when NZ already has one of the worst driving reputations on the planet.

Don't drop your guard people. Ride safe.

judecatmad
3rd March 2007, 18:32
I've amended it and sent it to everyone in my address book - with a piece of my own explaining why I've started a 'pass it on' email.

I live in hope that we might somehow be able to make a difference!

sinned
3rd March 2007, 18:52
Get Stebel... but keep the standard one and a hidden switch (for WOF inspection).

I have a stebel. Are you suggesting a loud horn will mean failure to get a WOF?

quickbuck
3rd March 2007, 22:44
I suspect a lot of the cagers at whom that piece was aimed are probably 15 year old boy racers who can't even read let alone understand or absorb its contents.

Good point, well raised.

Is there somebody here who can translate it all into text speak? May be that will help?

It is a good message though (even if it is from people who drive on the wrong (right) side of the road).

James Deuce
3rd March 2007, 23:30
I suspect a lot of the cagers at whom that piece was aimed are probably 15 year old boy racers who can't even read let alone understand or absorb its contents. Nah...quite good as the sentiment in it is, I'm afraid that educating the masses of cagers who drive the roads of New Zealand comfortably oblivious to what's going on around them will be an uphill task... Especially when NZ already has one of the worst driving reputations on the planet.

The worst group are Women between 30-40 who have hit the "Is this all there is?" stage and don't give a crap anymore. The Police did a survey (that incidentally Bob Jones offered to fund independent of the Police coming up with the idea around the same time) because they'd anecdotally noticed that Women in this age group would travel in the right hand lane on the motorway at exactly the speed of the car to their left without leaving enough room for even a motorcycle to get by.

The respondents were given the choice of a ticket for failing to keep left or answering the survey.

The survey dealt with the main question (why weren't you keeping left) by asking lovely little response choices like, "I was thinking about the Children", and "In a bit of a dream."

The best choice was, "Sheer Bloody Mindedness." 24% ticked that one. 24% of Women between 30-40 just don't care about being courteous, or points of law in regard to using the road.

avgas
3rd March 2007, 23:38
Cos just like this, someone is always going to blame someone else :)

Deano
3rd March 2007, 23:48
The worst group are Women between 30-40 who have hit the "Is this all there is?" stage and don't give a crap anymore. The Police did a survey (that incidentally Bob Jones offered to fund independent of the Police coming up with the idea around the same time) because they'd anecdotally noticed that Women in this age group would travel in the right hand lane on the motorway at exactly the speed of the car to their left without leaving enough room for even a motorcycle to get by.

Maybe they need a younger man to keep themselves entertained. (Women peak sexually at 33 and men at 18)

A woman I know didn't realise she could pull out of Koro Cres onto SH2
straight into the left lane, cause only one lane turns right from the lights (I won't say who:innocent: )

I advised that she had the option of left or right, depending on how fast she would accelerate up to 100kph, and not hold anyone behind her up.

Angusdog
12th September 2007, 10:07
Thought this was nicely written, from a weblog on Metric Thunder.com (http://www.metricthunder.com/news/2007/02/14/1042/#more-1042). Hopefully not a repost here.

The Biker

When you see us moving past you quickly:
Don’t take offense or think we’re trying to “show off”. Ninety five percent of the time, we’re trying to get out of your blind spot or taking ourselves out of a potential dangerous situation that has evolved around us.

Distancing ourselves from you does not mean we want to race, but that we’re giving ourselves the edge we need at the moment.

When you hear our horn:
Don’t take offense or think we’re trying to aggravate you.
All we’re doing is letting you know where we are in relation to you on the road, and we’re more than likely aware of your inattentiveness to us while you’re talking on a cell phone, eating, reading or involved in some other distracting aspect to Your driving. It’s important to us, and you, that you know we’re there.

When you hear our loud pipes:
Don’t become angry and hostile toward us. Yes, some are quite loud, but for some, there’s a purpose behind being loud. It’s about letting you know we’re close by and we’re constantly hoping that our investment in this accessory will help save our lives. Our pipes are really not about our ego…it’s a pride and personalization to our form of transportation.

When you see us in our clothes:
Don’t become fearful of us or think us weird. Our leather jackets, chaps, gloves and boots are the barriers between loosing massive amounts of flesh should something cause us to go down…nothing more, nothing less. Safety Gear is paramount to our riding. We wear patches on our jackets, and pins on our vests. These are symbols of pride and honor within our group(s), individuals giving back to those who gave. These things bond us as a brotherhood and sisterhood among bikers. Not that we’re better than anyone else, but that we have the same kind of nobility and pride in our accomplishments as you may have in the various aspects of your life. I guess one could say; our patches and pins are the decals and the bumper stickers of our involvement with society and the general public, of which we are very pleased to be a part of in our own little way.

You don’t have to shield your child or feel intimidated. We have family, wives, husbands, children and loved ones too, just like you. We smile; we laugh and enjoy the moments we have. We are approachable, and would befriend you, if given the opportunity.

When you see us in a parking lot:
Don’t convince yourself that we’re there to “get you”. More than likely, we just finished a long ride and are taking a break. Or, we may be meeting up with other riders for a charity run for young children, or another very worthy cause. We may just be admiring one another’s bikes, sharing our pride with other brothers and sisters, just like you do with your personal vehicle.

It’s what we do…it’s a part of our lives, and we’d be more than welcome to share with you what riding a bike is all about…if you’d only ask.

When you see aggressive riding bikers:
Don’t put us all in the same stereotypical category as those whose behavior and actions would cause you to react in disgust and intolerance. Many of us do not agree with this style of riding either, and we know and understand that human nature tends to blend us all together as the “same group”. Most of us don’t want that title…and don’t deserve it.

When you see a group of bikers on the roadways:
Give us the courtesy of sharing the road with you. Please don’t “move in” between several bikers in formation. This gets us very excited and nervous, especially when it’s done with no due regard for our safety.

Provide us with your awareness of the fact that we are much more vulnerable than you. We don’t want to challenge you, for all of us are wise enough to know…we’d lose that battle.

When you are turning left [right for NZ] or entering a roadway/highway:
Look, then look again…and then one more time. For we can be easily hidden, and appear to be invisible by such things as a telephone pole, another vehicle, bright lights or the glare of the sun…or possibly, the beads hanging from your rearview mirror, among numerous other items that are displayed there. If you see us flashing our lights at you or blowing our horn, we’re only trying to ensure that you will see us before tragedy changes both our lives.

When you are behind us:
Please give us the room we need and don’t tailgate us. If you hit us, we’re going down…HARD! We don’t want to play games with you, we just want to enjoy the ride and the fresh air, and experience that which many of you have never lived for.

If we accelerate away from you, don’t interpret this action as though we want to drag race you. We’re only trying to take ourselves out of a bad situation if you insist on being too close.

When, and if, you experience road rage:
Don’t take it out on us just because we’re smaller than you and more vulnerable. Think about what you’re doing and the end result that may become a reality. The consequences of your actions and choices could be very detrimental to our well being, our families, our children and our loved ones.

Yes, there are those that can tend to piss you off, however, rage towards them will not solve the issues, but accentuate them. Nine out of ten bikers will do everything they can to take themselves out of that situation without causing you or them harm.

When you have an opportunity to talk to us:
You’ll discover, outside any influenced or stereotypical mindset you may have, that we are just as human as you are, just with different interests and toys. Many of us would give you the shirt off our back if it would tend to brighten your day or console you in some way. We’re really no different…and we drive cars, trucks and vans too. So, meet us and greet us…I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised that you’ll be met with open arms.

Anonymous…

Virago
12th September 2007, 10:13
"Search" is your friend...

Merge: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=45247

megageoff76
12th September 2007, 10:41
Thanks for posting that mate, i missed it last time. Cheers

Big Dave
12th September 2007, 13:25
Not meaning to offend mr dawg, however:

On 10/09/2007, at 7:48 AM, Janet wrote:
Post this on the Kiwi Biker and see true respect…..

To: Janet
Subject: Re: THE BIKER

nah - hokey.

On 10/09/2007, at 7:58 AM, Janet wrote:
My description was much worse than yours….

HTFU.

;-)

Macktheknife
12th September 2007, 18:22
Yeah it is a repost, but I still love it.

Angusdog
13th September 2007, 08:05
Okay, sorry, should have done a search. This (below) isn't a repost, as it's a bit I wrote for VORB, the mountain bike forum. Some of it isn't relevant to motorcycles but a lot is, mainly about respect from car drivers. Might be of interest.

I'm sorry and I know - an open letter to car drivers

I'm a cyclist. Which means I ride a bicycle; in my case to and from work, and recreationally. You may know the sport as "Mountain Biking".

I'm sorry I don't pay registration fees for my bike. Okay, so it weighs about 1/100th of what your SUV does, so I guess it causes a lot less wear on the roads. And I can park it next to my desk. But I also don't exceed the speed limit (except down Willis St, or the 'Bowling Alley' as it's now known), and there's not often a traffic jam caused by bikes.

I know I riding through the Karori Tunnel in the middle of the lane. No, honest, I do - no need to toot. But if you think you can safely pass me with oncoming traffic, hey have a shot.

I also know you car can potentially go faster than me and my bike. Well, it's got to have something in its favour, right? It's just that I've already passed 40 cars like yours, and I doubt you can beat me to work. It's just that no car, in rush hour, has ever done that. Maybe you could, because I can that like 99% of car drivers, you're an above average driver. So yeah, go ahead and zoom past me. And enjoy the 50 metres of superiority before the traffic lights.

I'm also sorry the price of petrol keeps rising, because I have a car too. Well, the shopping's not going to carry itself home from the supermarket. And Riversdale is a bit far for the weekend if you're riding a bike. Let's not get ridiculous. It's just that I minimise my use of the car because I prefer the exercise. Apparently it's better for the planet, but both you and I know that global warming has been traced to a faulty batch of thermometers.

I'm so, so sorry I enjoy riding my bike to work. Every morning it's a rush, those 10 minutes door to door. I love the buzz from the discs as I brake for the corners, I love carving it up through the turns. Oh, and I know you'll probably beat me home, but we've all got to get a bit of exercise, right? And the 10 minutes to work and the 20 minutes home probably beats you anyway - but let's not dwell on that. I can see you don't like driving in heavy traffic, listening to the morning DJs - who would? I would rather stick forks in my thighs than listen to that inane, retarded babble.

So I know you don't think I have a right to use the road. But I do. And I'm sorry you think you should blast pass me as soon as you can, because it implies a deficiency in the trouser department and not that you're in a hurry.

But guess what? It's a radical idea, so it may take a while to grow on you, but please, please be open-minded. Ready? okay, here it is: You could ride a bike to work. There! Now I've planted a seed, just let it grow and see what you think. Think about what you could do with the money you currently spend on commuting. Maybe buy some bling rims for your car...

Yours,

Simon.

Albino
13th September 2007, 08:14
I'm a cyclist. Which means I ride a bicycle; in my case to and from work, and recreationally. You may know the sport as "Mountain Biking".
But guess what? It's a radical idea, so it may take a while to grow on you, but please, please be open-minded. Ready? okay, here it is: You could ride a bike to work. There! Now I've planted a seed, just let it grow and see what you think. Think about what you could do with the money you currently spend on commuting. Maybe buy some bling rims for your car...

Yours,

Simon.

Oh dear... :corn:

Nice letter btw.

deanohit
13th September 2007, 08:21
Ha, that one with the bikers was pretty cool and true (for some anyway) and the one on the cyclists was not bad either. =)

Angusdog
13th September 2007, 08:40
Note: I'm in no way connected with "roadie" cyclists, who we all know are freaks.

And the attached image doesn't actually contain nudity, but it may give you a general feeling of unease...

Sanx
13th September 2007, 16:52
I'm a road user. This means I ride a motorbike or drive a car on public roads. This also means I have to obey the rules of the road, just like everyone else.

I'm sorry that you think you have the right to go through red lights, and then get hurt when you get taken out. I'm sorry that you think you have the right to ride four abreast and hold up everyone else on the road, and then get scared when someone overtakes you. I'm sorry that you think it's OK to hold onto the side of my vehicle because you're too lazy to take your feet out of the footpegs when you've stopped. I'm sorry you think flying through a zebra crossing being used by pedestrians is fine, and that said pedestrians enjoy having to jump out of your way. I'm sorry you think that being seen in public wearing dayglow lycra is acceptable.

I know cycling's environmentally friendly and 'green'. I'm sure that the SUV you drive when you're not pedalling around is equally kind to planet earth. I'm sure that turning your bikes upside down and sticking on a roof rack doesn't affect aerodynamics and your fuel usage at all.

I would dearly love to see a reduction in cycle-related deaths. I commend you for reducing the number of vehicles on the road. I admire your fitness and dedication. I know that you want nothing more than simple common courtesy given to you by other road users but there's a little bit of quid pro quo here. When motorists see that you don't consider yourself morally above other road users, perhaps you'll get a bit of respect back. Maybe people will show some patience and consideration, when they see the cyclist displaying the same trait.

Ride safe and kind regards,

Sanx.

laRIKin
13th September 2007, 19:20
I like it and I like the way it is written.

I to missed it until now, so thanks for posting it.