PDA

View Full Version : Bike cover?

HungusMaximist
12th September 2007, 23:32
Yo.

I live in Auckland City and I am going to get one ASAP.
Any recommendations ? (shops, people, trade-me, warehouse.. the usual nick nacks) Or even better, if you guys have any you want to give me or sell me your old second hand one that'd be fine also. As long as it's in a good nick and to a certain standard I'll take it.

I have a GSXF750 Katana, so it's longish.

Another thing, I'd be moving my bike to a new place where there's only a carport, none of this full cover garage like I have now. Any tips of keeping her in top shape out in the open?

Maybe I have to keep her in the lounge...

Cheers.

McDuck
13th September 2007, 00:04
I shall get some help in.

McDuck
13th September 2007, 00:11
Ok so i can not be arssed emailing it to anybody. Bring the bike inside. It needs to be inside. If you do not put it inside katman will hunt you down and kill you.

bert_is_evil
13th September 2007, 09:48
The bike barn!http://www.thebikebarn.net/
cummon, someone has to buy one of these

Reckless
13th September 2007, 09:56
Shivers! I hope the girl on the Aviator comes with it mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Hitcher
13th September 2007, 10:49
The RJays bike covers are the best of what is, at best, an average offering of motorcycle covers.

The Hitchers have no gargre. Our steeds, when not being ridden, spend their days outside securely shackled under covers. The wind and sun take care of a cover, on average, between 9 months and a year. UV in the sunshine breaks down the plastic, wind rubs holes in them where there is friction between the cover and the bike's various protrusions. We also fit "nappies" to our bikes because of this, to stop this incessant rubbing wearing away the paintwork around the bikes' bottoms.

While RJays produce the best commercially-available weatherproof cover, these are still deficient in their manufacture -- scant attention is taken to stitching (comes undone), clips (break too easily) and just general finishing.

Be warned. Some covers are merely dust covers designed for bikes that live in gargres to protect them from dust, fly dirt, bird shit and semen stains. A decent day of Wellington weather will reduce these to fragments in short order. And they will lovingly melt all over a hot exhaust.

Marmoot
13th September 2007, 11:39
Agree with Hitcher.

Rjays (choose the proper size. They come in different sizes) are waterproof on the outside, soft-lined on the inside, breathes properly and leaves the bike virtually condensation-free even after a cold and rainy winter night.

The fabric is heavy so it won't flap too much in the wind either.

We have two for our bikes.

They come in nice plastic bag too that you can use for something else (like storing bedsheets in the attic).

Reasonably priced at only around $50-$70.

Motomail stocks them

NighthawkNZ
13th September 2007, 12:52
Yo.

I live in Auckland City and I am going to get one ASAP.
Any recommendations ? (shops, people, trade-me, warehouse.. the usual nick nacks) Or even better, if you guys have any you want to give me or sell me your old second hand one that'd be fine also. As long as it's in a good nick and to a certain standard I'll take it.

I have a GSXF750 Katana, so it's longish.

Another thing, I'd be moving my bike to a new place where there's only a carport, none of this full cover garage like I have now. Any tips of keeping her in top shape out in the open?

Maybe I have to keep her in the lounge...

Cheers.
I like the hitchers don't have a garage and our bikes are out in Dunedin weather under cover... wind rain snow hail... :(

get a (obvousily) large if you have a pack rack get one that allows for this... but the main thing ensure that it is lined on the inside... so if and when it rubs on the tank or something it won't wear off the paint (They are about $40- $50 well thats what we paid...) for a semi decent one. I use Rjays and am happy with it... the other half has a different brand (can't remember at this time) and it also seems ok

gw555
13th September 2007, 17:56
I use a R-Jays when ever I go away. Found it works well in the Auckland weather when I was up there. Also used it in middle of winter in Taihape when it was -7 just had to melt the ice a bit to get it off.

Only problem I have had is how the hell you fold it up small enough to get it back in the bag, so usually I just stick it in the R-Jays luggage bag on the back

Bike-aholic
13th September 2007, 19:46
The bike barn!http://www.thebikebarn.net/
cummon, someone has to buy one of these

I was looking at one of those but this one i thought was a bit better it has a floor to keep out more moisture.

http://www.cycleshell.com/index.html

bell
13th September 2007, 20:24
I'd second all that Hitcher pointed out. I'm on my 2nd Rjays in just over 18 months. I claimed a new one on warranty as the fabric was breaking down rather severely after only 9 months.

I had a few rub points that took some paint off the pointy bits on my tail end area. Also had a random area of rubbing on the front fender. I use an old fitted single bed sheet to cover the bike before the cover goes on. No rubs yet.

It might be the RJays branding or perhaps my Kawasaki underneath, but it's a magnet for cat pee!

HungusMaximist
14th September 2007, 11:14
I was looking at one of those but this one i thought was a bit better it has a floor to keep out more moisture.

http://www.cycleshell.com/index.html

That's some fancy 1 st class cover.

If anybody has one of these let me know how it works out aye.

675trippy
14th September 2007, 12:22
agreed that is a fancy 1st class cover but my bike never sits long enough to warrant it

avgas
14th September 2007, 12:34
The RJAY big cover keeps the rat dry, which is good cos wet rats stink

Daffyd
14th September 2007, 12:47
I use an RJay, but only need to when away from home as I have a gargre.

I have to cover it in the rain if it's outside as the recessed buttons on the seats fill up with water and the eyelets underneath rust. Then the thread gets eaten through and breaks and the buttons fall off. :crybaby:

Bike-aholic
14th September 2007, 22:54
That's some fancy 1 st class cover.

If anybody has one of these let me know how it works out aye.

This is the other one i was looking at shipping to nz is $150USD yeeouch

http://www.cycleshelter.com/