PDA

View Full Version : Biker death blamed on stolen road sign

Bob
13th September 2007, 00:01
The death of a motorcyclist has been blamed on the theft of a set of chevron signs that would have warned him to brake for a sharp corner.

Cyrus Calligan, 38, from Charfield in South Gloucestershire, misjudged a bend on the B3135 and collided with a car coming in the opposite direction.

Coronor Paul Forrest of at Flax Bourton Coroner's Court described the death of Calligan – a biker for some twenty-one years - as "avoidable and unnecessary", as the court was advised that the set of signs had been stolen for scrap. He added "Due to the irresponsible behaviour of some people they have been removed. Had they been in place no doubt this tragic accident would have been avoided. It's unbelievable that such behaviour can occur when the lives of innocent people are at stake. Through other people's stupidity we have a road death on our hands that was totally unnecessary - it's just terrible."

Police liaison officer PC Mark Phillips added "The signs need to be made of material that makes them less appealing to be sold for scrap."

Coaster
13th September 2007, 00:07
The death of a motorcyclist has been blamed on the theft of a set of chevron signs that would have warned him to break for a sharp corner."

:Oi: I hope you meant BRAKE not BREAK

Bob
13th September 2007, 00:15
:Oi: I hope you meant BRAKE not BREAK

Apologies - I have edited accordingly.