PDA

View Full Version : Bike/gear requirements for track days

FROSTY
14th September 2007, 08:27
Folks I"m often asked if something is ok or not for a KB trackday
Have a read below and it should cover it all off

THE ONUS IS ON YOU TO GET YA BIKE/GEAR UP TO SCRATCH

As a guideline a roadbike needs AS A MINIMUM to be up to WOF standard and a racebike needs to be up to normal raceday sxcrutineering
READ BELOW for specifics that are NOT NEGOTIABLE

TYRES MUST BE A MINIMUM OF 2.0MM OF TREAD ROUND THE CENTERLINE
.-- (slicks to have visible wear dots/dimples)

BOTH FRONT AND REAR BRAKES MUST BE OPERATIONAL

BOTH HANDLEBAR LEVERS MUST HAVE BALL ENDS.

FOOTPEGS AND HANDLEBARS MUST BE SECURELY MOUNTED

HANDLE BAR ENDS MUST HAVE SOLID PLUGS IN THE ENDS AND MUST BE FIRMLY SECURED --NO open tube ends -THIS SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDES RUBBER HANDLEBAR GRIPS COVERING THE END OF THE BARS IT MUST BE SOLID
(PLASTIC WINE CORKS MAKE GOOD PLUGS)

.Mirrors removed or taped up.-again No glass to fall on the track

No leaking fluids.--- OIL/fork oil/glycol/

GLASS headlights to be removed or taped up to prevent glass flying if you crash .Plastic headlights are fine as are indicators -use common sense here-Imfine with a headlight covered in duct tape

Pack rack uppers to be removed -L arms to be taped over-preferably plugged.(plastic wine corks are good for this )-I also saw one clever bugger who had put 2 tennis balls over the pack l arms

No sharp/edges/loose parts hanging down/sticking out from the bike this includes front fender and plastic fairing sides--If in doubt DUCT TAPE is your freind. .

Camera mounts are a specific area of concern.they are as a rule not allowed especially any tank mounted ones
basicly if it might impale you as you rotate forward in a crash or as you fly sideways in a highside then its a no go
The tank mount type are just plain deadly and it aint negotiable -but those bullet type that tape into the fairing are all good

Chain needs to be correctly tensioned

swingarm/steering head bearing -no noticable slop

RIDING GEAR
A full face helmet good fitting with no damage into the shell.
LEATHER gloves,
bike boots,
cudura 2 piece,leather one piece or two piece suit.
No holes in contact areas including sleeves etc -we do know the difference between factory
A back protector isn't compulsary but VERY strongly suggested
SKIN MUST BE COVERED so no gaps visible when riding

THE ONUS IS ON YOU TO MAKE SURE YOUR BIKE/GEAR IS UP TO SCRATCH
If in doubt fix it. If it isnt up to scratch you won't be going on the track.

Personal conduct--
This SHOULD not need to be stated But .TRACKDAYS ARE ALCOHOL/DRUG FREE ZONES -Noone under the influence of alcohol or no perscription will be allowed on the track and NO alchohol to be consumed whilst the day is running.
After the day is over is fine
You need to hold a current motorcycle road licence or race licence
Riding in a blatently dangerous manner will not be tolerated.
---------------------------------------------------------------
The information above may (and probably does) apply to other track day organisers but I can't speak for them
If anyone from other trackday organisations wants to agree or disagree with me Im happy to post it up here

JUST A PERSONAL NOTE HERE -GENERALLY IF YOU NEED TO ASK THE QUESTION THE ANSWER WILL BE--YES YOU NEED TO FIX/REPLACE IT

Disco Dan
14th September 2007, 08:38
Camera mounts are as a rule not allowed especially any tank mounted ones

None at all? Or is a certain type of mount allowed?

FROSTY
14th September 2007, 18:43
None at all? Or is a certain type of mount allowed?
basicly if it might impale you as you rotate forward in a crash or as you fly sideways in a highside then its a no go
The tank mount type are just plain deadly and it aint negotiable -but those bullet type that tape into the fairing are all good

Ocean1
14th September 2007, 18:57

So the old type Yamaha fuel caps where the key goes into the back...

FROSTY
14th September 2007, 19:07
So the old type Yamaha fuel caps where the key goes into the back...
stick up about 25mm from the tank top. Camera mounts stick up a shit load more than that.

Disco Dan
14th September 2007, 20:27

Cheers for that Frosty, will have a look at safe mounting options other than tank mounts using spikey bits :)

FROSTY
10th October 2007, 07:19
PLEASE--read this if you are attending the KB trackday
There WILL be a scrutineer there with a tyre depth gauge

I must say I DONT speak for other organisations as to bike standards etc

skidMark
18th October 2007, 01:38
PLEASE--read this if you are attending the KB trackday
There WILL be a scrutineer there with a tyre depth gauge

I must say I DONT speak for other organisations as to bike standards etc

all good my tyres are brand spankers...had to take em for a wee scrub in tho.....

and well bumped the thread up as the trackday is looming...:niceone:

FROSTY
26th October 2007, 07:32
I recently received a PM from a somewhat irate PM(understating here) from another track day organiser about the content of this thread and its first post.
SPECIFICALY re the hint that others may allow dangerous riding or alchohol.
POST HAS NOW BEEN MODIFIED
So please other track day organisers Im sorry if that looked like it was implied -
IN NO WAY AM I SUGGESTING THAT ANY OTHER TRACKDAY ORGANISATION HAS LOWER STANDARDS.
I just can't speak for anyone else.

kudos@xtra.co.nz
29th November 2007, 20:55
I have two piece leathers but different pants and jacket (Astars and Belstaff). They dont zip together. Is that OK and do I have to remove my radar detectar mount?