PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Advice - Pirelli

Disco Dan
14th September 2007, 09:06
Well its soon time for new rubbers and im looking for some real advice here...

I have Pirelli Dragons on at the mo, really like the way they handle and feel. I was planning on replacing them but looking at their website it said "medium powered bikes - 650cc" ? (http://www.pirellityre.com/web/catalog/moto/moto_catalogo_schedaDescription.page?categoria=&vehicleType=MOTO&product_id=2005&uri=/pirellityre/en_IT/browser/xml/catalog/moto/MOTO_MV_DRAGONMTR0102.xml) Its no way a "medium powered bike" so what are my alternatives? Or do I stick with what I know and keep the dragons?

Its a big purchase for me, and I dont want to end up with tires that I dont feel confident on for ages...

Suggestions on a post card PO Box Disco Dans Brain....

riffer
14th September 2007, 09:16
Dan - I have great results with an Avon Storm rear and a Avon Viper front.

From what I can gather the ZX11 is another front heavy tank like the RF. You'd do a lot worse than the Avons.

Hitcher (FJR1200) and Blackbird (CBR1100XX) are also loving their Avons.

BarBender
14th September 2007, 09:27
Depends what type of riding you do and your budget...but if you want to stick with the Pirellis you could put a Strada on the back and something slightly softer on the front like a Diablo. Great all-round tyres that are very good in the wet and can deal with the horsepower of your 11. They're ok for the odd trackday as well ..as long as you watch your pressures and dont let them get too hot...I had them for a while on my old 12 and my brother has the same set up on his 14.

zx rider
14th September 2007, 09:44
I run my Metzeler Z6's pretty hard on my 7R and have taken advice on them from Cycletreads (Lindsay) who has run them on his old Blackbird (1.03 lap at Pukekohe).
I'm on to my second set now and they are great tyres.Made in the same factory as Pirelli's so i guess it might come down to price/tread pattern as they will perform equally well.

Disco Dan
14th September 2007, 10:11
Dan - I have great results with an Avon Storm rear and a Avon Viper front.

From what I can gather the ZX11 is another front heavy tank like the RF. You'd do a lot worse than the Avons.

Hitcher (FJR1200) and Blackbird (CBR1100XX) are also loving their Avons.

Yes, very front heavy. 41psi front and rear !

terbang
14th September 2007, 10:26
The Dragons are really good tyres. I run them on my old 1100 as they still have a size that fits its spindly (140/17) wheels. The 1100 tears the rear out a bit and I only see around 5K on the rear. Your 1100 is shod differntly and there are some nice tyres out there. I had the expensive pleasure of owning a Hayabusa for a while. The combination of Me (self confessed rev head) and the Bus meant that I was tearing my tyres apart at around 4000K and the upshot being, I got to try lots of different types. (1)Bridgestone BT56, killed them in 3000ks and they were Ok in the Wet. (2)Avon Azzaros good mileage 5000 K's but as you would expect scary in the wet. (3) Combination Azzaro Rear and Avon Viper Front, worked well and the tyres wore together with the reliability of the Viper on the front in the wet. (4) Avon Vipers, Nice sticky tyre but the big bikes tear them apart on the rear, had a few feedback issues there as well. On minute your there and the next they could let go without much warning. (5) Michelin Pilot Power 2CT, Sold her with these on it, they had done 2000 kays and were faring well. This tyre was by far the best tyre of them all in all aspects.
I now have Michelin Pilot Road 2's (2CT) fitted to my Navigator. Not quite as sticky as the Power. I'm absolutely sold on them in all road conditions and they are also handling a fair punsihment. These tyres let you know whats coming next which offers great security to any rider. This is the first Bike/Tyre configuration that I have removed the chicken strips from the front wheel with confidence in the feedback given.
Michelin will continue to get my money.

Disco Dan
14th September 2007, 10:57
Thank you for that Terbang, appreciate your feedback. :2thumbsup

Disco Dan
14th September 2007, 11:02
I may go get some prices for Michelin Pilot Powers. :cool:

Squiggles
15th September 2007, 12:00
m3's no good for the bike? im liking them

Disco Dan
15th September 2007, 12:33
m3's no good for the bike? im liking them

Im a complete noob when it comes to tires! :lol: Only ever purchased one set before, as I dont normally have my bikes long enough before needing new tires!!! :whistle:

Can you explain?

canarlee
15th September 2007, 12:36
road pilot 2s are damn good and sticky!

i havent ridden in the wet with them yet so i dont know about that!

pirrelli diablos are shit in the wet! well the rear is anyways!

Disco Dan
15th September 2007, 13:40
hmmm interesting!

Well the ZX11 is my only form of transport wet or dry so I need a set that will be good and grippy in all weathers plus be suitable for the front heavyness of the kwaka! 41psi front AND rear !

I must say the ones on it at the mo, do give me confidence but their website say they are only for mid range bikes upto 650cc - that tells me there are tires out there that are much more suitable for the kwaka!

Disco Dan
25th October 2007, 12:33
Well after some further thought and the realisation that I needed tires earlier than I was expecting...

I have decided to go with Pilot Power 120/70-17 and Pilot Sport 180/55-17 for my ZX11.

Never ridden on pilots before always had metzlers, so should be interesting to see how they fair and how I feel about them.

They get put on in the morning so looking forward to the new rubber!

bungbung
25th October 2007, 14:08
Sounds like a good choice.

Next time round, if you like metzelers, try M3 sportecs (squiggles recommendation).

I've had a couple of sets of pilot sports on my vtr and a couple of set of M1s.
The pilots are nice and I would equate them with M1 sportecs.

I'm 5k into a set of M3s and they grip better than M1s and normally the rear
would be shagged after 5k but the M3 rear is only 50% worn.

Is a pilot power on par with a M3?

homer
25th October 2007, 14:28
Well after some further thought and the realisation that I needed tires earlier than I was expecting...

I have decided to go with Pilot Power 120/70-17 and Pilot Sport 180/55-17 for my ZX11.

Never ridden on pilots before always had metzlers, so should be interesting to see how they fair and how I feel about them.

They get put on in the morning so looking forward to the new rubber!

I just at the stage of wearing the last of the pilot out now i dont like them at all but its now actually better than when it was newer

Disco Dan
2nd November 2007, 11:49
Well after clocking up over 450miles on the new tires im loving them!

Still playing around with the front tire pressure though, set at 36psi at the shop but when ridden hard with a pillion it did not feel good! Took it to 41psi and ridden solo its too hard, so going to take it down a notch today.

First time in the wet last night and I had the confidence to ride at my normal pace, even roundabouts (which I still have 'confidence doubting moments' when raining) where no problem.

All in all so far im really happy with them!

Big thanks to MotoHause for the advice!!

pritch
7th November 2007, 16:00
Still playing around with the front tire pressure though, set at 36psi at the shop but when ridden hard with a pillion it did not feel good!

The Michelin tyres have different profiles. The sports tyres have a more pointy profile than the sport touring tyres or the racing tyres. That could make the front feel a bit odd...