PDA

View Full Version : Fixing my Bikes Sat - Come along

Squiggles
14th September 2007, 09:59
Yer, Will be working in the shed tomorrow, probably from 11 onwards, working on both GN's... All SMC'ers are welcome to come along and bring their niggling problems with them, chances are we can do something about it...
Can also help ya service your bikes (oil and filters and so forth)

Have plenty of spanners and bits, all cept for a torque wrench if anyones got one? I have an alternative method which is about as accurate but nothing beats the ease of the real thing!

Heaps of parking and can probably find some food to bbq too :wari:

Give me a txt if you're coming and ill reply with the address, my place is in Epsom, just off the Market Road offramp, might go for a ride after

klyong82
14th September 2007, 10:09
I finish work at 2.30 so might pop by if you guys are still at it. I can smell coookiess.....................mmmmmmhhhhhhh

Macstar
14th September 2007, 11:24
Have plenty of spanners and bits, all cept for a torque wrench if anyones got one? I have an alternative method which is about as accurate but nothing beats the ease of the real thing!

How timely mate, yesterday I was changing my oil (being doing it for 2 years without a torque wrench) and then it happened, I overtightened my oil bung. Now it's F&^%ken leaking oil (1 or 2 drops overnight), and I'm gonna have to get it bloody re-threaded.

A torque wrench is next on my tool list (but about $150).

klyong82
14th September 2007, 14:13
I got a set of repco socket wrench but yeah a torgue wrench is pretty handy and prevents overtightening of bolts.

Squiggles
14th September 2007, 16:56
i have a couple of force meters and a 25cm socket wrench...

i just pull till its 4x the required force then sorted :2thumbsup

have got plenty of gasket goo mac if you need a temp fix :)

motorbyclist
14th September 2007, 17:09
ah nothing worse than threading bolts - or worse, shearing the heads off them:bye:

worst feeling ever when the spanner stops pushing back - even worse when it's your shitty chinese ratchet that just sheared off leaving the socket on the bolt:bash:

i might come - i just got my speedo cable fixed and i suppose i could put off installing it till tomorrow (need a hand with the fairings)

then someone can come with me to scope out sunday's track - uhhh, i mean route:innocent:

motorbyclist
14th September 2007, 17:11
oh, about that sump thread - how bad is it? could some locktite/silicon liquid gasket goo/thread tape fix it?

Taz
14th September 2007, 17:33
oh, about that sump thread - how bad is it? could some locktite/silicon liquid gasket goo/thread tape fix it?

Better that you get it fixed properly. Keep the bodgy fixes for emergencies when you are out in the back blocks of africa with no other choice. Use a new washer on your sump plug every time (there is a reason that the manufacturer recommends a new crush washer) helps save the threads, helps stop leaks at the recommended torque.
Andy.

motorbyclist
14th September 2007, 17:51
oh of course, i was suggesting just as a temporary untill you've got the time and means to tap a new thread or replace bolt (whichever is buggered) - save oil and mess

Squiggles
14th September 2007, 23:28
bah, cbf'd with pm's

Addy is 26c Mt St John Ave, Down a long driveway between the two schools, has a gate, just follow the instructions and it'll let you in :)

See some of you around midday and some later

motorbyclist
14th September 2007, 23:30
yeah i sorted my bike so i'll just come roundfor a social visit after riding sunday's track

anyone want to be my spotter?

twinkle
15th September 2007, 12:03
How timely mate, yesterday I was changing my oil (being doing it for 2 years without a torque wrench) and then it happened, I overtightened my oil bung. Now it's F&^%ken leaking oil (1 or 2 drops overnight), and I'm gonna have to get it bloody re-threaded.

A torque wrench is next on my tool list (but about $150).

I have a 14x1.5 tap if you feel like doing it yourself.

Macstar
15th September 2007, 13:19
Cheers fellas for the suggestions and offers of tools etc. I think I'll let it drip oil till after the weekend and get a mechanic to fix it then. It's letting about 6 drops go overnight so not too urgent, just annoying!

Funny, my RF never had a crush washer, though I haven't owned it from new. I think I'll get a few of those too while I'm at it...

motorbyclist
15th September 2007, 16:36
ok, so i didn't come... but i did get 200km under my belt :D

Taz
15th September 2007, 17:10
Wow 200km's? In a day? you must have been pushin it......:2thumbsup

motorbyclist
15th September 2007, 17:13
see my latest post in the thread for tomorrow's ride

i had a go at karekare and lone kauri rd - in retrospect possibly not the best decision

my average speed today was around 70kph

my average speed up to whangarei via SH1 was 120kph

but considering the windy nature of today's ride, i think today was definetly the more extreme of the two (several "25km" hairpins at bethels, can be done at 55 if you dodge the pothole)