PDA

View Full Version : New job...

terbang
14th September 2007, 20:55
I just signed up a new job today. Start in a couple of months time. I am going back to VIP flying for a company based in the middle east. I will be domicile in Auckland working a month on, month off rotation. Flying mainly from the middle East to Europe with some local flying as well. I will be leaving the Boeing and will be going onto this (http://www.gulfstream.com/g450/) as a direct entry captain. I have flown a variant of it (GIV) before and the type rating is only a differences course. In comparison to the Boeing it is like comparing a Holden to a Ferrari with the Boeing being the Holden. The choice is one of lifestyle as I can domicile myself and my family anywhere in the world for this job. Greymouth or Alicante in Spain or wherever, though at this stage we will stay in Auckland. I am also looking forward to having every second month off to (go riding) spend with my family. Its a scary move leaving the security of a large airline such as Qantas, but it is also exciting looking forward to other opportunities. You only live once.

Hmm... I've seen films about those... someone like nicholas cage always ends up killing the pilot of those planes.

Just make sure you keep the door locked, unless you're flying Pamela Anderson around, in which case, whip out the camera phone ;)

BarBender
14th September 2007, 20:59
You only live once.

Aint that a fact.

Congratulations on the new role Bruce.
Looking forward to a loop on your month off.

Nasty
14th September 2007, 20:59
I can see Grub turning green with envy already .. .congrats on the new role ... enjoy!

banditrider
14th September 2007, 21:00
Lucky bugger! Maybe I should have done more than the one flying lesson...

Good luck and enjoy!

paturoa
14th September 2007, 21:01
...a month on, month off rotation....

Do you need your bikes "looked after" while you are month on?

marty
14th September 2007, 21:03
Awesome Terbang.

One of the guys at work is the brother of one of the big cheezes @ Air National, and he always makes me envious of the flying that theirs (Jacksons) is doing. From what I hear it is flat out with rock stars and rich guys all over the world, being the only big (available) biz jet down here. At only $50k return to Sydney, anyone can afford it!

Saw Peabody's Falcon 200 @ Taupo the other night - another very cool machine.

marty
14th September 2007, 21:05
PS. Can I have your burner job?

Grub
14th September 2007, 21:42
I can see Grub turning green with envy already .. .congrats on the new role ... enjoy!

My drool is not green!

Jeez Terbang, that sounds a dream job. Interesting airspace, great aircraft, nice lifestyle. What happens to your QuaintArse seniority? If and when you return is it to the back of the bus?

Grub
14th September 2007, 21:44

Hope you've polished yer logbook, whitened your teeth and greyed your temples ... you're a shoe-in

ManDownUnder
14th September 2007, 22:17
Go for absolute gold man. Sounds like a dream on a stick to me.

Fly safe and enjoy :niceone:

R6_kid
14th September 2007, 22:34

Me too... ya bastard!

Coincidently, Terbang - did you train civil or through the air force?

justsomeguy
15th September 2007, 02:43
Congrats Bruce. :first:

That's some job you've got there.:yes:

Animal
17th September 2007, 00:39
Awesome! Well done!

A huge step up from those 146s, huh?

mstriumph
17th September 2007, 01:17
you DISGUST me
but
well
ok
good luck with it - sounds like a DREAM job

:wari:

terbang
17th September 2007, 08:48

They are hiring at the moment, short of around 25. The industry has recovered well since Sept 11 esp in the business end. Lotsa good jobs out there.

Jeez Terbang, that sounds a dream job. Interesting airspace, great aircraft, nice lifestyle. What happens to your QuaintArse seniority? If and when you return is it to the back of the bus?

Once you leave, you lose your slot and if you come back its at the bottom of the pile again. I have found that going back to an old job is a bit like going back to an old girlfriend. You rapidly realize the reason why you left in the first place.

Coincidently, Terbang - did you train civil or through the air force?

Civilian, Started as a hobby when I was an apprentice at 17. Started in an old piper cub off a grass strip. Got hooked and have flown most weekends since! Couldn't afford the hobby so I did it as a job instead. Cost an arm and a leg to qualify but worth it. It is still, 30 years later, very much a passion.

Finn
17th September 2007, 09:00
Its a scary move leaving the security of a large airline such as Qantas, but it is also exciting looking forward to other opportunities. You only live once.

One you've settled, you'll never look back. Fantastic move Terbang. Funny how the mind works... the first thing I thought of was "NO TAX". I take it you've made an appointment with your accountant?

Macktheknife
17th September 2007, 13:26

What he said, bloody good onya terbang.

Blondini
17th September 2007, 13:46
Exciting stuff there mate:banana::2thumbsup.I will be keen to go on the loop with ya on your time off.Loves and my regards to your family:hug:

Her_C4
17th September 2007, 13:52
Wow that sounds like an absolute dream of a job - congratulations:niceone:

SPman
17th September 2007, 13:53
Civilian, Started as a hobby when I was an apprentice at 17. Started in an old piper cub off a grass strip.

Whereabouts?
I started on Cubs at Dairy Flat, when it was a grass strip!