PDA

View Full Version : Husband/partners that don't ride?

oscarnz
16th September 2007, 14:29
Does anyone else have a husband/partner that doesnt ride??

I am about to get my bike lic, but husband isnt interested.

Thinks I am going to change, be away riding every weekend etc. i have always been interested in bikes, and have finally decided to do something about it.

Probably a early mid-life crisis but hey I can handle it, but can he?

BIKEGAL68
16th September 2007, 15:02
Yes well ........... i dont ever think i would have dreamed of having a bike.
Hubby wanted one and asked if i would get one an come riding with him.
So i did an i will never look back.
I love it. May be he might change his mind if he goes for a ride on one.

Nasty
16th September 2007, 15:12
My partner used to ride years ago .. and never dreamed of it again ... then I decided to get a bike .. well we have been riding since.:banana:

McJim
16th September 2007, 15:25
Trouble is - he's probably right. I got my bike licence and bike and every evening I was out 'Practicing' for 2 hours and every weekend I made sure I got 3 hours' riding on Sat and 3 hours on Sun.

Luckily my wife got a licence and bike to so we can go together - shame your fella doesn't fancy it.

Kiwifire72
16th September 2007, 15:33
Yes well ........... i dont ever think i would have dreamed of having a bike.
Hubby wanted one and asked if i would get one an come riding with him.
So i did an i will never look back.
I love it. May be he might change his mind if he goes for a ride on one.
And Now that I am laid up and not allowed to ride she has taken it upon herself to ride my bike aswell.
Tell him to come on here talk to us guys and show him what he is missing

fergie
16th September 2007, 15:43
ya know what they say "the family that plays together stays together.i could not imagine having a partner not into the same things as me.

Get that bike and enjoy life,people can change.

sunhuntin
16th September 2007, 17:04
ya know what they say "the family that plays together stays together.i could not imagine having a partner not into the same things as me.

Get that bike and enjoy life,people can change.

agreed. id be so pissed if my partner made noises about selling his bikes. same goes with non riding partners ive had... love me, love my bike.

dino3310
16th September 2007, 17:25
my missus dosent like bikes and wont hop on one,she just dosent get my passion 4 bikes, makes it fucken hard to buy one, gives me a hard time when i want to fuck of for a ride.

jonbuoy
16th September 2007, 17:36
Makes no odds to me, my ex was not into bikes at all and terrified the one and only time I managed to get her on the back. Why do people think their partners have to be into exactly the same things they are? If he took up golf/fishing would you feel obliged to?

DUCATI*HARD
16th September 2007, 17:40
At the end off the day,just do what makes "you "feel happy.my partner hated bikes,until she jumped on the back...now she rides her own....RIDE ON...

Mom
16th September 2007, 17:55
I had my bike license for better than 20 years when I met my lovely man, I did not have a bike at the time and he had never ridden one. I still had all my gear (somethings you cant leave behind) but it was sitting there doing nothing. We went to Rarotonga, hired scooters and that was that. Came home he bought a bike! Then investigated how to get license, change gears etc.....LOL the rest is history. Getting out and about together is one of the best things we do together as a couple!

My advice.......go to Raro, get a couple of scooters and go for it. No shames there, shit I just met a woman who managed to fall off one?????

MotoGirl
16th September 2007, 17:56
I see no problem in you riding a bike if you're husband isn't interested, provided he doesn't put the guilts on you when you want to go out and you still do things together (i.e. play together stay together). You need something in common, but both being bikers doesn't have to be it.

doc
16th September 2007, 18:00
You need something in common, but both being bikers doesn't have to be it.Living in the same house is enough for me . You have to get away from each other sometimes. I usually go home when I'm hungry.

oscarnz
16th September 2007, 18:00
Think its great to have different interests, I enjoy my time out. I am sure he will have a ride at some stage. And of course being a male will offer advice about certain things. :rolleyes:

oscarnz
16th September 2007, 18:03
I see no problem in you riding a bike if you're husband isn't interested, provided he doesn't put the guilts on you when you want to go out and you still do things together (i.e. play together stay together). You need something in common, but both being bikers doesn't have to be it.

Yeah we have interests in common, which is great.

Guilts wont work with me. lol:yes:

Paul in NZ
16th September 2007, 18:31
Meh! Vicki pretends to like bikes and I pretend to like gardening and polite conversation... Lifes a trade off and a compromise....

duckonin
16th September 2007, 18:42
We all do what we have to do in life oscarnz yours is going to be bikes, hubby will not be able to resist (hopefully for you) and may well come round, good on you, feel the wind a feeling you never forget and always long for..:rockon:

Chickadee
16th September 2007, 18:48
Hey if your better/other half ain't into bikes, no stress. They'll just have to find something of their own (so they don't give you heaps when you give time to your passion for two wheels). Encourage your spouse, but if they won't join you, get them into their own pastime of choice (then everyone wins).

It's not everyones cup of tea, but I can't imagine why not. Both hubby and myself have a passion for two wheels.

Trudes
16th September 2007, 18:49
Mine wasn't interested until I told him I was getting a bike. Then he had a squiz at some of the hot looking bikes available and next thing you know he's doing the basic handling test with me. Now we both ride and it's great.
Don't worry about him not getting the bug, (although threatening him with having to pillion may do it), he may learn to love cleaning your bike for you!!:laugh:

Lil_Byte
16th September 2007, 19:01
I had my bike when I met my partner. In fact we got engaged on the way to our first rally.
Since meeting her I have had to get my bike set up for a permanent pillion as I never get out on my own.
It is great to have some one who enjoys getting out on the bike as much as I do. :scooter:
Now I just have to convince her that she wants her own bike.

Keystone19
16th September 2007, 20:59
Does anyone else have a husband/partner that doesnt ride??

I am about to get my bike lic, but husband isnt interested.

Thinks I am going to change, be away riding every weekend etc. i have always been interested in bikes, and have finally decided to do something about it.

Probably a early mid-life crisis but hey I can handle it, but can he?

My husband doesn't ride and is not interested in learning to, nor getting on the back of my bike!

My husband would say that your husband is right on the mark in terms of riding every weekend etc....

However, after 2 years he has finally realised that his opinion is not going to change my desire to ride and now he comes to the track to watch and pit crew and enjoys it.

We have other things we enjoy together...:msn-wink:

cold comfort
16th September 2007, 21:17
My wife has enjoyed being pillion on a few rallys and loved the adrenaline however has no interest in machinery or getting a bike. I'm carrying too many injuries to keep up with her on a snowboard. Thus we do both together sometimes and at others not. Not a problem really.

Lteejay
17th September 2007, 12:49
My partner doesn't ride and didn't have an interest in it, until I kept telling him about how much fun I was having and wouldn't it be great if we could go riding together sometimes. He has now done his basic handling skills test and we went shopping on the weekend for a bike for him.

I think you win either way, its something you can either enjoy together, or it can be your own thing. If he loves you he will be happy you are out doing what you love and he wont nag you about it, as long as you are reasonable about how much time you give to your bike and the road

classic zed
17th September 2007, 15:27
My wife hates bikes with a passion and will not go on mine at all. :argh:

Good excuse to get out on my own though :laugh:

NighthawkNZ
17th September 2007, 15:36
My patner doesn't like being a pillion, and didn't really care for bikes. But over the last year she has seen how much fun I have been having and the extra socalising... she see's the smile I have on my dial when I came back from rides... she now has her learners and a cool wee VTR250... been to two rallies as well as a couple of rides... and having a ball.

However, don't push your partner into it, if s/he is not interested that their prerogative to do so. It also is a means to have time out from each other... I am sure you both have things you do together and some things you don't.

Happybug
17th September 2007, 16:08
I've been riding for 20yrs. New partner isn't a bike rider. I'm trying to convince him to give up his quad and buy a bike to come out with me. His quad is sitting there doing nothing and it'd be nice to ride together - although i gotta admit i like being able to just have "my time" when i ride cause he doesn't enjoy pillion. He's tried - give him credit. I think i'd ride more if he rode too cause i wouldn't feel so guilty about not doing something with him. And we could go further and for longer.

BMW
17th September 2007, 20:15
agreed. id be so pissed if my partner made noises about selling his bikes. same goes with non riding partners ive had... love me, love my bike.

same with me- I am me with both bike and my cats!

Both have to be black!lol

oscarnz
17th September 2007, 22:12
My patner doesn't like being a pillion, and didn't really care for bikes. But over the last year she has seen how much fun I have been having and the extra socalising... she see's the smile I have on my dial when I came back from rides... she now has her learners and a cool wee VTR250... been to two rallies as well as a couple of rides... and having a ball.

However, don't push your partner into it, if s/he is not interested that their prerogative to do so. It also is a means to have time out from each other... I am sure you both have things you do together and some things you don't.

Yeah I am looking forward to some fun, meeting new people, going to new places, I am sure he will be interested to hear about it all. :laugh:

ynot slow
18th September 2007, 22:02
Similar here,she will jump on the back around town and short rides,then she said a couple of days ago,should get a scooter to go to work on,my eyes lit up,yep I think a nice 250 off road bike say dr250,xr250 or similar,then her son could get his learners,when she gets full after 6 months learning,we could get say a 650 or so transalp or similar,shit my mind can be devious.

Skyryder
18th September 2007, 22:13
Lifes a trade off and a compromise....

It is indeed...................I sometimes forget.

Skyryder

alley cat
20th September 2007, 12:52
Think its great to have different interests, I enjoy my time out. I am sure he will have a ride at some stage. And of course being a male will offer advice about certain things. :rolleyes:

Time out for sure!!!!!!!!
I get the guilt trip occasionally, and its a real piss off.
The rule in our house is, if the suns shining, il see ya tonight!
Shame tho.......

oscarnz
20th September 2007, 20:10
Was all set to do my Basic Handling this weekend, now have to go to Auckland.............:oi-grr:

So will now have to wait 2 more weeks, as working next weekend.

Oh well good things take time.

kazza_nz_05
23rd September 2007, 13:11
My husband doesn't ride a bike and was a bit hesitant when I brought mine this year. Just over protected, worried I might get hurt. I really wanted to get into it after our second trip to Raro. Of course I got the licence and drove the scooter with him on the back. Which he didn't mind at all, apart from all the potholes in the road over in Raro..LOL.. He has his own hobbies and I have mine, its nice to have a few different things and some time out. Maybe further down the track he might give up his sportscar and get a bike. what am I saying, i very much doubt it..LOL :)

mazz1972
9th October 2007, 23:19
Oops posted twice by accident...

mazz1972
9th October 2007, 23:36
Many years ago I used to get totally fed up with hubby going off trail riding at any opportunity - it used to really get my back up. So I joined his bike club now am part of the organising committee for trail rides.

Then a couple of years ago hubby decided to get his licence so he could go off road riding with a group of friends. I thought bugger this I'm not being the only one left at home, and some of the wives ride, so Iwent and got my licence and I love it.

Different strokes for different folks, but we both enjoy having similar interests. I am sure if we both weren't into the bike scene, we wouldn't do half as much as we do, as it does take up a lot of time with road riding and offroad riding/organising.

Good luck with the BHS!

Here's a link to a website where you can test yourself on the roadcode questions - I found it very helpful http://www.drivinginstructor.co.nz/index.php?goto_page=courses/test_menu.php

oscarnz
10th October 2007, 14:15
Well an update

I passed my Basic Handling and motorcycle learners test on Saturday.

The husband has warmed to the fact that I have got my bike licence, even to the extent that he is offering to help buy my bike (yes provide the money not advice) Ye ha

So have been looking at bikes, oh the choices. At this stage a Honda VTR250 is currently my first choice, but not rushing into it.

dogsnbikes
11th October 2007, 14:03
Sounds good Carmen looks like its becomming a joint venture and we are all looking forward to you getting your bike

Xaria
14th October 2007, 11:46
So have been looking at bikes, oh the choices. At this stage a Honda VTR250 is currently my first choice, but not rushing into it.

Congrats on passing your tests.

I have the VTR250 and I love it. I was sure I was going to get a cruiser, but it is all about the bike that makes you smile. So many decisions to make but you will find the perfect bike for you.

ManDownUnder
14th October 2007, 11:52
My wife doesn't ride... but more than that here's some high level thoughts on the the subject...

If you can do it together - it's great. If not- it seems to be something that the other person will either "get" or "not get". No middle ground... well - minimal... till you invite them along to a KB party (or any gethering) where they find out bike riders are people too. *gasp*.

The other thing I'd encourage you to think about - why do want the bike license. Mid life crisis? If it's to get away from your partner you'll succeed... but possibly better than you think. Tread carefully if this is a genuine question for you...

Good luck!

oscarnz
14th October 2007, 13:23
Congrats on passing your tests.

I have the VTR250 and I love it. I was sure I was going to get a cruiser, but it is all about the bike that makes you smile. So many decisions to make but you will find the perfect bike for you.

Funny you should say that, I was originally looking at crusiers, then got shown a VTR250.
Yeah lots of decisions, but have decided to get my gear first, got given a awesome jacket to borrow long term, when and brought my helmet yesterday, just have the pant, boots, and gloves to go, then the major purchase of a bike.

chanceyy
18th October 2007, 16:14
Well an update

I passed my Basic Handling and motorcycle learners test on Saturday.

The husband has warmed to the fact that I have got my bike licence, even to the extent that he is offering to help buy my bike (yes provide the money not advice) Ye ha

Missed this thread .. but congrats Carmen .. we will be seeing you out there soon :yes: .. just in time for summer (when it arrives) :banana:

bout to do my first long distance trip in preparation for the Gisborne ride & really looking forward to it .. will post a ride report when i get back :wari: