PDA

View Full Version : Knife incident

peasea
17th September 2007, 22:00
Check this out: Some little turd pulled a knife on my 17 y/o this afternoon. She babysits three boys after school for three hours, 3-6. She has her head screwed on, fortunately, and didn't panic when the youngest of the three decided he didn't want to do his reading homework and thought he'd jump out the window. (He's ADD-HQ or something.) So, she saves him from himself and shortly afterward the turd has a serrated kitchen knife behind his back, dilated pupils and the trembles. Luckily she again kept her cool, grabbed his wrist and the oldest boy also stepped in. Knife gone, panic over, right?

Well my daughter came home with big bags under her eyes coz afterward she'd realised how close she'd come to getting stabbed. (Bawled her eyes out etc)

I've also kept my cool to date but I'm going to meet the father tomorrow and I ain't gonna take any shit. This is my daughter we're talking about.

That kid needs some serious medication and those freakin' knives need to be under lock and key!

What would you do??

canarlee
17th September 2007, 22:02
could you get a meal out of said child?

maybe..........

deanohit
17th September 2007, 22:04
Pretty much what your talking of doin man. Had my cousin pull a knife on me one time, it aint fun, thats for sure. The kid needs some help.

peasea
17th September 2007, 22:07
could you get a meal out of said child?

maybe..........

If I cut him up perhaps

peasea
17th September 2007, 22:09
Pretty much what your talking of doin man. Had my cousin pull a knife on me one time, it aint fun, thats for sure. The kid needs some help.

The kid needs a kicking.

RantyDave
17th September 2007, 22:10
She babysits three boys after school for three hours, 3-6.
Well, she's not doing that anymore, is she? What a nightmare.

Dave

deanohit
17th September 2007, 22:10
Yep, kicking helps keep them in place as your carving them up.

Skyryder
17th September 2007, 22:13
Check this out: Some little turd pulled a knife on my 17 y/o this afternoon. She babysits three boys after school for three hours, 3-6. She has her head screwed on, fortunately, and didn't panic when the youngest of the three decided he didn't want to do his reading homework and thought he'd jump out the window. (He's ADD-HQ or something.) So, she saves him from himself and shortly afterward the turd has a serrated kitchen knife behind his back, dilated pupils and the trembles. Luckily she again kept her cool, grabbed his wrist and the oldest boy also stepped in. Knife gone, panic over, right?

Well my daughter came home with big bags under her eyes coz afterward she'd realised how close she'd come to getting stabbed. (Bawled her eyes out etc)

I've also kept my cool to date but I'm going to meet the father tomorrow and I ain't gonna take any shit. This is my daughter we're talking about.

That kid needs some serious medication and those freakin' knives need to be under lock and key!

What would you do??

First of all I'd report the incident to the police. Don't try and rationalise with the father all he'll do is blame your child or deny that the incident took place. Cchances are there may be some incidences at school the the school. If so those trained in these matters will sort this out. Let someone with some professional training deal with this.

Skyryder

fireball
17th September 2007, 22:33
do what is best for your daughter... her safety must come first

and kick that little turd up the ass!

Jantar
17th September 2007, 22:35
Go with Skyriders advice and report it to the police. (it might help if you hint the offender was exceeding the speed limit at the time).

But certainly don't let your daughter go back there.

peasea
17th September 2007, 22:51
First of all I'd report the incident to the police. Don't try and rationalise with the father all he'll do is blame your child or deny that the incident took place. Cchances are there may be some incidences at school the the school. If so those trained in these matters will sort this out. Let someone with some professional training deal with this.

Skyryder

I can do some digging via the MOE.
The cops are too busy dishing out 111kph tickets.

peasea
17th September 2007, 22:57
do what is best for your daughter... her safety must come first

and kick that little turd up the ass!

Remove her from the situation, you're right about that.
I'd love to kick the little shithead but (that's about the only thing that will pull the cops off the 111kph speedsters) then I'm the one in the shit.

Nah, if I'm going to kick him I'll wait six months, he won't know what it's about then.

She was so cool about it this evening. She took herself out for a cruise and got some 'self' time. When she came home we had a chat on her bed. So good that a 17y/o can do that with her dad, which makes me all the more determined to get it 'sorted'. I put in the hours when my kids were young, what's this little pricks problem? (I think part of it is business-oriented parents, hence the babysitting thing etc etc....They have heaps of dosh apparently and loads of problems to go with it.)

Angusdog
17th September 2007, 23:19
Have a word with your community constable, and your daughter. She'll realise that there's official consequences and authority figures who take this very seriously which may be of some security for her. The other more serious reason is to get an official record of this kid's behaviour, without inflaming the situation out of reason. The kid's dad might want to be in on it too.

It sounds like this kid has serious problems, and needs help - not a kicking, not medication. Some of these actions and how they're dealt with mean the next event could be bigger and more serous than the last. The kid's dad needs to be aware of this, but community constables are a nice medium between inaction and over-the-top reaction. They should also know how to deal with this kid and the agencies who can help.

Good on you for not over-reacting but at the same time letting your daughter know she's okay, and that this behaviour is unacceptable.

peasea
17th September 2007, 23:35
Have a word with your community constable, and your daughter. She'll realise that there's official consequences and authority figures who take this very seriously which may be of some security for her. The other more serious reason is to get an official record of this kid's behaviour, without inflaming the situation out of reason. The kid's dad might want to be in on it too.

It sounds like this kid has serious problems, and needs help - not a kicking, not medication. Some of these actions and how they're dealt with mean the next event could be bigger and more serous than the last. The kid's dad needs to be aware of this, but community constables are a nice medium between inaction and over-the-top reaction. They should also know how to deal with this kid and the agencies who can help.

Good on you for not over-reacting but at the same time letting your daughter know she's okay, and that this behaviour is unacceptable.

I thank you for your thoughtful input and you're right; this kid's behaviour IS unacceptable. My daughter has taken it on the chin and even after a couple of bourbons I still don't feel the need to get in my car and go and shoot the fuck but 'community constable' sounds like the soft option to me.

Call me cynical but 'family conference' and 'diversion' smells of tree hugger to me. Back the truck up here; my 17y/o gets stuck by some little wanker coz I didn't do my homework when she was at intermediate? Then what? She knows shit from chewed dates, she took action to defend herself and now we're facing a page full of 'what-ifs'. What if the older boy was out kicking a football, like he usually is? What if she'd had her back turned? The list goes on but I'm thankful I still have my daughter and the longer I think about it the less I'm inclined to involve the law coz it's likely to turn into soft-cock territory. (That's not the cops fault, by the way.....)

If there'd been blood tonight I know for a fact that wet bus tickets would have been dished out by dawn, what's needed here is a big 'Monty Python' shoe from above I say.

scumdog
17th September 2007, 23:57

What would you do??

Ah, dejavu, just like 'a day at the office' for me.

Take your own advice - get a gun and shoot him.

But first don't let your daughter back there - and pick a better type of client next time too.

yod
18th September 2007, 00:07
yeah, violence, thats the answer....

how old is this kid? 8? 11? you're a grown man and you think beating the little guy will help?

where do you think he got the violent behaviour from in the first place?

peasea
18th September 2007, 06:55
yeah, violence, thats the answer....

how old is this kid? 8? 11? you're a grown man and you think beating the little guy will help?

where do you think he got the violent behaviour from in the first place?

I'll suss that out when I meet dad in a few hours.
Frankly, I don't buy that ADD shit, I think it's a tree-huggers label for an undisciplined brat.

Like I'd seriously go bash the little shit? It's what I feel like doing but in all honesty I'll take it one step at a time, thoughtfully. IMHO the knives need to in locked cupboards for a start. If it's not my daughter getting stuck, then who's it going to be and when?

Paul in NZ
18th September 2007, 07:09
Well your daughters lucky to have a caring parent - good on ya.

Don't blow it by loosing your cool now but you have to take some sort of action. Report it to the police mate. It will hopefully go on his record and further down the track it might make a difference in someone elses life.

The kids parents will doubtless play the blame game having already tried to avoid their responsibilities - report it NOW and walk away.

Cheers

ManDownUnder
18th September 2007, 07:27
Pat her on the back and tell her to be proud of herself for doing all the right things, but when it comes down to it, if it's her personal saftey over responsibilities as a babysitter, personal safety comes first.

Can the babysitting gig. She's not going to feel safe there again, and the problem presented is not your daughters - it's the host family's. For every action there are consequences, this seems like a sensible one to me.

Teach her the right thing to do should that happen again...
Step one would have to be "GET THE HELL OUT"
Step two would be get help. Ring you, the cops - whatever.

QDOS to your little girl...

ynot slow
18th September 2007, 07:43
Shoot the parents,their attitude is throw money at the problem,they're too busy building their empire at the risk of having nothing for it if the kids fuck it up.Maybe pay a kid a year or too older to smack the little prick around,piss take but an idea lol.The kid is just misunderstood thats all,yeah right tell that to the person who cops it next time and the prat gets older it gets worse.

Edbear
18th September 2007, 07:44
Frankly, I don't buy that ADD shit, I think it's a tree-huggers label for an undisciplined brat.

Like I'd seriously go bash the little shit? It's what I feel like doing but in all honesty I'll take it one step at a time, thoughtfully. IMHO the knives need to in locked cupboards for a start. If it's not my daughter getting stuck, then who's it going to be and when?

Firstly, congrats on your relationship with your daughter, it pays off! And I would go and speak to the father, it may be that the older son has already told him what happened and there is no comeback on you if you have spoken to him first before taking it further.

My wife is in childcare and gets very frustrated with the restrictions on discipline - basically they are simply not allowed to discipline the kids AT ALL! And it shows up with the toddlers and pre-schoolers. She deplores the attitudes of many parents who have absolutely no clues about parenting!

WE have raised three to adults, 32, 28, 23, and have a very close relationship with them (and the two sons-in-law).

ADHD is a genuine problem, and our son was one of these kids. He was uncontrollable and violent. If we went anywhere I'd basically have to sit him on my knee in a bear-hug until we left as he'd just destroy the place! My wife was a nervous wreck and when he started school the teachers used to ring up and ask her to collect him and take him home as he was beating up kids 2-3 years older and disrupting the class. Hidings had no effect on his behaviour.

This was back before ADHD was "discovered", but once diagnosed and tested for allergies and put on a diet, his behaviour changed virtually overnight. One thing that came to the fore was his own understanding of his problem and instead, as most kids do, wanting the things he couldn't have, he knew what certain foods would do to him and he dsicplined himself to avoid them. We helped, of course by finding nice stuff he could eat and praising his attitude and efforts. It took about 5 years of treatment and diet but he gradually "grew out of it" and by the time he was a teenager he was calmer. (Then of course came the teenage years with their challenges..). He was left with a learning disability but on his own, he worked hard to get welding qualifications and has worked to support himself all his life. To look at him now, you would see a laid back, intelligent young man, (yes at 32 I think he's young...), who cares deeply about his family. He's had some tough times and is divorced - got married too fast - but is recovering and doing well.

As parents, we sacrificed the chase for money to spend all our time and energies on the kids and we did everything together, bushwalking, beachcombing, trips here and there. We never had much but had time for each other and bedtimes were special times for talking together. Weekend mornings would usually see 5 in our bed as the kids would jump on us and wake us up!

You are right, though in that too often a kid is said to have ADHD when it is more a matter of absent parents and no discipline. I find it difficult to believe the stories my wife brings home! We feel so sorry for the kids!

Grub
18th September 2007, 07:55
I just about lost my rag when I see you drop that 111kph shit {yawn} into such a serious issue. FFS get over yourself and get a life. Just in case you were away that day, the Policeman in the yellow car is a traffic cop, if you're 11kmh over the limit, he'll give you a ticket. The Policemen in the orange car aren't traffic cops and won't give you a traffic ticket, they're too busy doing things like attending incidents where people pull knives.

So, onto the real issue, call the nice Policeman in an orange car. The incident becomes a matter of record, that kid's record. This means if they're called to an incident at that house, they know to be wary of weapons being used, they know when it happens again that yours wasn't an isolated occurence, they know when it happens again that the kid needs to be referred to an agency for attention. If it's serious enough then there's issues about appropriate parental control.

Do nothing? Then it's you who are starting the soft-cock and wet bus ticket scenario you hate so much. How th F do you know this is not the second or the third time this has happened? If there's a whole lot of others who have also done nothing "because nothing will get done" then it may very well be you that has someone's blood on their hands - from inaction.

scumdog
18th September 2007, 08:08
Step two would be get help. Ring you, the cops - whatever....

Hmm, I doubt he'd do that - they're all useless and waaay to busy torturing innocent bikers by dishing out tickets and sending taxis to frantic scared women.....why would they bother with a little non-injury knife incident involving some young kid???:rolleyes::whistle:

Swoop
18th September 2007, 08:10
The community constable is still a policeman, and probably more interested in what goes on in "his patch".
At least give him/her a heads-up on a potential person of future interest.

Knives in the kitchen? They are not the problem, the person is the problem.

Grub
18th September 2007, 08:25
And the "dilated pupils" ... what's with that? The kid is on drugs?

yod
18th September 2007, 08:57

good to hear...i was just getting little concerned with the amount of pitchfork waving the kb crowd was engaging in...

You're quite right, if the child is prone to this type of behaviour, preventative measures should certainly be in place!! Although if this is the first time he's gone for a knife then you would hope these measures are about to be adopted - I guess you'll be mentioning this to the dad

and trust me mate....it isnt a "tree-huggers label" and discipline or lack thereof is not necessarily the problem - suffice it to say I have some knowledge in the area....

Macktheknife
18th September 2007, 10:03
Sounds like your daughter is a smart cookie, calm and capable too, well done to her, and to you also.
As for the Kid, it needs to be reported for all the reasons stated above, speak to the kids parents by all means but also do the right thing for the next poor babysitter who has to go in there and deal with this kid and his family.
Best of luck

Coldrider
18th September 2007, 10:13
The kid is probably high on additives, salts & sugars in the crap food that is fed/sold these days (maybe why ADD is something reletively new & increasing in numbers). The kid is out of control with himself. It is like drugs & alcohol to small bodies. Bet when he calmed down he would have been an angel and gone to sleep exhausted.
It comes down to parenting & responsibilities.
What are the reasons a kid would behave this way.

Stickchick
18th September 2007, 10:26
I had the same thing happen to me when I was 18 and babysitting, an 8yo pulled a knife on me and locked me out of the house so I called the cops and his parents. He certainly realised that it wasnt fun anymore when the cops got involved. Needless to say I didn;t babysit for the parents again unless that particular kid was not home

Angusdog
18th September 2007, 10:36
Well, to be honest none of us apart from Peasea knows this kid so we don't know the situation. His problems (which no-one's denying) could stem from various sources: diet, poor parenting, psychological problems, chemical imbalance or being possessed by Beelzebub and his many demons. The kid's clearly a danger to himself and others, and it's not appropriate to start claiming this kid's protected, will 'get away with it' and society's too weak on violence - A community constable is obliged to assess these situations and act accordingly.

I personally don't agree with the concept of family group conferences; I think kids need, from a young age, to know there are consequences to actions. Clearly we don't imprison 2 year olds, but what do you do about a violent 11 year old? I don't know, but I do know to defer to those who do. Public safety is why we have a police force, and I think they do a good job. You'll always hear stories about young offenders who get punished by being sent on holiday to the Gold Coast, but I think the reality is somewhat different.

Coldrider
18th September 2007, 10:58
As long as the cause is attended to, not the sympton, before the kid does something that changes the rest of his life.
Parents, parents, parents, but that is another topic.

imdying
18th September 2007, 11:41
First of all I'd report the incident to the police. Don't try and rationalise with the father all he'll do is blame your child or deny that the incident took place. Cchances are there may be some incidences at school the the school. If so those trained in these matters will sort this out. Let someone with some professional training deal with this.Yeah, I'd do this. You'll probably get little satisfaction, but I'd at least try to drag the little turd through the courts.

tri boy
18th September 2007, 11:47
Pull up on the HD. Speak to the dad about said incident, and ask to have a quiet word with the little shit. Calmly tell him that if he ever pulls a stunt like that again with any member of your family, you will break several bones in his hand that held the knife, and his testicles will fed to the neighbourhood dogs.
Make sure he has eye contact with you at all times.
Glad that your daughter is unharmed.:yes:

imdying
18th September 2007, 11:50
Make sure he has eye contact with you at all times.And when you're done, grab him by the ears and give him a big slow lick up the face... Dr Lecter stz :devil2:

peasea
18th September 2007, 13:07
Hmm, I doubt he'd do that - they're all useless and waaay to busy torturing innocent bikers by dishing out tickets and sending taxis to frantic scared women.....why would they bother with a little non-injury knife incident involving some young kid???:rolleyes::whistle:

So we CAN agree on some things.

peasea
18th September 2007, 13:08
Pull up on the HD. Speak to the dad about said incident, and ask to have a quiet word with the little shit. Calmly tell him that if he ever pulls a stunt like that again with any member of your family, you will break several bones in his hand that held the knife, and his testicles will fed to the neighbourhood dogs.
Make sure he has eye contact with you at all times.
Glad that your daughter is unharmed.:yes:

I like your style.

However, it's going to be a sensible discussion (well, initially anyway) at 8.00pm.

avgas
18th September 2007, 13:13
Kids need to learn that pulling a knife is a serious matter.
Last person i had do that got a face full of mountain bike (it was back when i went to school). I doubt very much that he will ever try that stunt again.

peasea
18th September 2007, 13:22
Do nothing? Then it's you who are starting the soft-cock and wet bus ticket scenario you hate so much. How th F do you know this is not the second or the third time this has happened? If there's a whole lot of others who have also done nothing "because nothing will get done" then it may very well be you that has someone's blood on their hands - from inaction.

I won't be doing nothing, you can bet the farm on that and I have given serious consideration to the very real possibilty that this may NOT be the first incident of its kind. I have also discovered that the little germ knocks around with another child of similar nature. (Like attracts like and all that.)

As much as I hesistate to further burden our finest with extra paperwork... after discussing the incident with a local primary school principal I think it would be the right thing to do to 'log it on' at the local station, regardless of what the father has to say. According to my daughter he's a good guy and was genuinely concerned about the incident but he's hardly likely to put anything on his own son's rap sheet is he?

You're quite right; if I do nothing and the next babysitter cops a good sticking then what does that make me?

Edbear
18th September 2007, 17:31
According to my daughter he's a good guy and was genuinely concerned about the incident...

Says a lot and maybe there is something wrong with the kid. Remember we're talking about a three year old?

My son could be like that, but never with a weapon. Much of the time he was absolutely adorable and had women everywhere falling in love with his cheeky grin and bouncy nature. (And his Arnie physique...!)The diagnosis was that his body wasn't producing a chemical required to process certain foods so in addition to the expected food colourings and flavourings, he was allergic to salicilate acid, so foods like tomatoes, apples, and oranges would react badly.

He seemed to understand what these foods would do and didn't like the way they made his brain start racing so he cooperated with the diet.

The Doc cheerfully told us that he'd either grow out of it by about ten or get worse! We fervently hoped he'd grow out of it, and what did seem to make a significant improvement was Evening Primrose Oil! It seemed to help kick start the body making the needed chemical again.

peasea
18th September 2007, 19:10
Says a lot and maybe there is something wrong with the kid. Remember we're talking about a three year old?

My son could be like that, but never with a weapon. Much of the time he was absolutely adorable and had women everywhere falling in love with his cheeky grin and bouncy nature. (And his Arnie physique...!)The diagnosis was that his body wasn't producing a chemical required to process certain foods so in addition to the expected food colourings and flavourings, he was allergic to salicilate acid, so foods like tomatoes, apples, and oranges would react badly.

He seemed to understand what these foods would do and didn't like the way they made his brain start racing so he cooperated with the diet.

The Doc cheerfully told us that he'd either grow out of it by about ten or get worse! We fervently hoped he'd grow out of it, and what did seem to make a significant improvement was Evening Primrose Oil! It seemed to help kick start the body making the needed chemical again.

This kid is six but my daughter has decided (phew, I don't have to insist) to kick the job. If he flipped again and was to sneak up on her one day things could get rather messy. I'm not having it.

Lil_Byte
18th September 2007, 19:14
Go with Skyriders advice and report it to the police. (it might help if you hint the offender was exceeding the speed limit at the time).

But certainly don't let your daughter go back there.

Do I detect a hint of minty sarcasm?? :Playnice:

peasea
18th September 2007, 21:42
Well, I met the parents at 8.00pm and I can see where the problem comes from. The father seems to think that his boys are all angels, it was deny, defend and throw the complainants out of the building.

It took just two or three minutes but during that short period the mother made mention of "babysitters we've had", which tells me they go through a few.

They obviously have no time for their children and even less for anyone who would dare to question any of their children's actions. My daughter later recounted a comment the father made just a few days into the job; "I don't want to have any tales about my boys getting back to me". What does that tell you?

I kept a cool head, didn't swear, didn't raise my voice and was very restrained. I'm glad I kept it together coz he didn't and made himself look a prize cock. I left, wishing him a good night.

However, it ain't over. Those kids are trouble on the boil and I think someone trained in such matters would be more able than I to decipher the best course of action.

My daughter is out of the situation permanently and that, for me, was the number one concern.

Skyryder
18th September 2007, 21:46
Well, I met the parents at 8.00pm and I can see where the problem comes from. The father seems to think that his boys are all angels, it was deny, defend and throw the complainants out of the building.

It took just two or three minutes but during that short period the mother made mention of "babysitters we've had", which tells me they go through a few.

They obviously have no time for their children and even less for anyone who would dare to question any of their children's actions. My daughter later recounted a comment the father made just a few days into the job; "I don't want to have any tales about my boys getting back to me". What does that tell you?

I kept a cool head, didn't swear, didn't raise my voice and was very restrained. I'm glad I kept it together coz he didn't and made himself look a prize cock. I left, wishing him a good night.

However, it ain't over. Those kids are trouble on the boil and I think someone trained in such matters would be more able than I to decipher the best course of action.

My daughter is out of the situation permanently and that, for me, was the number one concern.

'Bout what I expected from the father...........total denial. You've done your best and your daughter is out of it. No one can ask any more.

Skyryder

sunhuntin
18th September 2007, 21:51
can you mention it to cyfs? if nothing else, the kids will at least be checked up... maybe. someone needs to take a look at those kids, otherwise they will be tomorrows murderers.

good on you for getting your daughter out... her safety is priority. make sure she tells her friends, in case one of them decides to take up babysitting and finds themselves working for them.

peasea
18th September 2007, 22:23
can you mention it to cyfs? if nothing else, the kids will at least be checked up... maybe. someone needs to take a look at those kids, otherwise they will be tomorrows murderers.

good on you for getting your daughter out... her safety is priority. make sure she tells her friends, in case one of them decides to take up babysitting and finds themselves working for them.

Thinking about cyfs. You hear about things that happen and how they could have been avoided if someone had done/said something. I'll be doing/saying something at sometime to someone, make no mistake.

What I need to do right now is take some deep breaths.

shafty
18th September 2007, 22:57
Thinking about cyfs. You hear about things that happen and how they could have been avoided if someone had done/said something. I'll be doing/saying something at sometime to someone, make no mistake.

What I need to do right now is take some deep breaths.

Predictable result, - but bloody well done in keeping composed, great effort!

scumdog
18th September 2007, 23:07

Welcome to my world!!!

90% of troublesome kids I deal with (and by 'kids' I mean up to 17) have parents just like you mentioned, the kids are stuffed by that 'support', are arrogant, smart-arsed and anti-police, comes as hell of a shock when mum&dad can't keep 'em out of Court/PD/Prison later on.

candor
19th September 2007, 00:23
Its neglect. Who is teaching this kid the difference between irises and daffodils (or the male equivalent)? Doesn't matter his siblings are coping, just lucky maybe but the set up is obviously not agreeing with this child.

ADHD is a convenient excuse to remove responsibility off the parents and the child by the parents. Ditto to previous poster.

While ADHD does exist it is only real in about 5-10% of diagnosed cases - the rest of the time it's to do with poor parenting.

Found this out working at McKenzie residential school (for 6-10 year old future kilers / gangsters etc). On checkin most are diagnosed as severe ADHD and on ritalin. By checkout 2 years on or usually within a few mths the meds are successfully stopped for around 90%. Quite an eye opener that was.

Misdiagnosis of children disturbed by their environment with no idea of what constitutes normal behaviour or strong motivation to "attention seek" is common. As parents are either self absorbed eg addicts / alcys or just plain absent eg professionals climbing ladder and no energy / time for little Johnny.

This kid needs specialist help, and so do the parents just as much. Special education teachers are the people to consult and a behaviour modification program should be put in place right away. If the denial of the parents can't be broken his main hope is a mature babysitter who has the right experience or that English woman with glasses on tv who fixes small terrorists probs up.

Edbear
19th September 2007, 06:44
My daughter later recounted a comment the father made just a few days into the job; "I don't want to have any tales about my boys getting back to me". What does that tell you?.

Why are so many parents so blind? I know I could see the faults in my kids...If they had any...!:cool:

Seriously, though, good on you! Sorry I misread your post and got the age wrong. At six he is really of concern as by then the behaviour patterns are becoming cemented. (Hey, "cement"... an idea is forming...:devil2:)

Paul in NZ
19th September 2007, 08:54
Chatted about it with the clever daughters on the ride in (I drop them both at uni) and they agreed that a lot of attention seeking behaviour is misdiagnosed as ADHD. However real ADHD is not a nice thing at all...

Sad innit... Both parents have to work these days to get on (or even tread water)..... Can't be good in the long run for society...

peasea
19th September 2007, 14:39
Why are so many parents so blind? I know I could see the faults in my kids...If they had any...!:cool:

Seriously, though, good on you! Sorry I misread your post and got the age wrong. At six he is really of concern as by then the behaviour patterns are becoming cemented. (Hey, "cement"... an idea is forming...:devil2:)

I think I have an old pair of gummies lurking somewhere but the problem is; who do you put in them? The kids or the parents?

canarlee
19th September 2007, 14:40
I think I have an old pair of gummies lurking somewhere but the problem is; who do you put in them? The kids or the parents?

put the parents in them!

it might, just might not be too late for the kids...........

MSTRS
19th September 2007, 14:43

The father. Head first. As you would a tomcat.:blip:

peasea
19th September 2007, 14:53
Chatted about it with the clever daughters on the ride in (I drop them both at uni) and they agreed that a lot of attention seeking behaviour is misdiagnosed as ADHD. However real ADHD is not a nice thing at all...

Sad innit... Both parents have to work these days to get on (or even tread water)..... Can't be good in the long run for society...

To an extent I'll agree, especially about it not being good for society, BUT;

My ex and I both worked, got a house and decided to have kids. The one thing we always agreed on was that one of us should be there at the start and the end of each working day. What that meant was sacrifice and hard work. We went without a lot of things because I was just a lowly spanner man and one pay packet paid for everything, including holidays away every Christmas, which both the kids have fond memories of. I went without a bike for some years and much more besides to give those kids a great childhood and now they thank me for it, which is worth a hundred times what it took in effort and cash.

To cut a long story short, after nine years in my own business I sold it as a going concern and the ex went back to work after I paid to put her through uni'. (Try juggling a business and two toddlers while the wife is at uni'!!!) I did the house-hubby thing and loved every minute of it; walking the kids to school etc, getting dinner on and tarting up the house etc until we split in 01. All the time there was only one pay packet. Having one parent at home isn't easy but it can be done.

So ask yourself; is it the high cost of living, or the cost of high living?

klingon
19th September 2007, 15:01
Hey pease, just want to say I admire the way you're handling this situation - staying calm, making sure your daughter is safe, talking to parents. Definitely time to make the police aware of this kid. Maybe nothing they can do yet, but hopefully they will be ready as he gets older and more out of control.

Very sad for the kid really. This is what happens when you have no boundaries and no responsibility. :(

Chatted about it with the clever daughters on the ride in (I drop them both at uni) ...

*Trying to imagine Paul on his bike with his two clever daughters - one on the back and one perched on the handlebars perhaps?

Paul in NZ
19th September 2007, 16:58
*Trying to imagine Paul on his bike with his two clever daughters - one on the back and one perched on the handlebars perhaps?

no mate - I can't afford to commute on a motorcycle - the running costs are crippling compared to the mighty starlet and now - the corolla of doom....

Paul in NZ
19th September 2007, 16:59
To an extent I'll agree, especially about it not being good for society, BUT;

So ask yourself; is it the high cost of living, or the cost of high living?

Too true.... We've been a single income most of our lives and paid the price for it but for us it was worth it. More power to you I say!

mstriumph
19th September 2007, 17:13
The kid is probably high on additives, salts & sugars in the crap food that is fed/sold these days (maybe why ADD is something reletively new & increasing in numbers). The kid is out of control with himself. It is like drugs & alcohol to small bodies. ...............
red cordial and parental unconcern/ignorance has a lot to answer for ....

avgas
19th September 2007, 17:22
Dont fret - the kids sound slightly retarded, no major job prospects for them. All going well they will get a job gutting fish and the like.
Worst case scenario they go on a benefit. Their father can live in his bubble.

mstriumph
19th September 2007, 17:28
Welcome to my world!!!

90% of troublesome kids I deal with (and by 'kids' I mean up to 17) have parents just like you mentioned, the kids are stuffed by that 'support', are arrogant, smart-arsed and anti-police, comes as hell of a shock when mum&dad can't keep 'em out of Court/PD/Prison later on.

the problem is kids are complex
but, unlike OTHER complex things you aquire, they DON't come with a 'how to' manual or web-support

another problem is kids are different
so even if they DID come with a manual it would have to be so general as to be meaningless

but the worst problem is you don't have to be qualified to have them
----- everything ELSE you have that requires a degree of expertise to manage and/or could cause concern, danger or discomfort to other members of the community YOU HAVE TO HAVE A LICENCE FOR .... but kids? nahhhh - seems to me the only time most people think about parenting classes is when there's already a problem ....... and that's the more responsible ones. Others, like your neighbour, are in denial.

so - what to do? think 'vicious unrestrained dog' - think 'cage driver high on roadrage' - even think 'footpath damaged causing a potential trip hazard' if you like .....:msn-wink: ........... my point being that, as a responsible person you'd prolly report those things? Well, what's the difference?

my 2c

ynot slow
19th September 2007, 18:53
We were much the same,good income with two wages,had kids within 21 mths of each other,mum stayed home,coped sort of,looking back though tough as.Had a friend and she went to work shortly after boy was born,mind you she had a daughter at 17 so this boy was born when she was 29 or so,both her kids are fine,still can't see why parents can't spend time with the kids,we planned to have her work parttime hours whilst kids at school,or after I was home from work.Can remember one time youngest was at kindy,took older one to school and then off to kindy,had good time and enjoyed doing it,mother was on a parents centre course/pissup/conferance at time.Best thing you can spend with kids is TIME,sadly seems lacking in this case,wonder if the kids play sport,hard when you work rostered sat mornings,but can be done,hell I'd go to netball,then play soccer in arvo,kids would come down after the match,to easy with nothing electronic to keep em amused.

Patrick
19th September 2007, 20:21
Check this out: Some little turd pulled a knife on my 17 y/o this afternoon. .......What would you do??

Get a gun and shoot him? Heard this somewhere...:whistle:

Confront the parents, this has to be sorted before the little fecker does actually hurt someone.

EDIT: Bugger... should read the thread before posting... Scum beat me to it...

Good on ya for fronting up to the dad. I assume mum was not there, or was she in hiding? Too scared of her man too????? Stink response from dad means you need to report it to the cops, let them do their thing. The kid is 6 so expect little, but rest easy that a "dossier" is commenced for this up and coming scrote. Mum perhaps can be spoen to on the side away from the hubby, who sounds like he looses it way too easy.... probably on her too perhaps????

peasea
19th September 2007, 21:12
Get a gun and shoot him? Heard this somewhere...:whistle:

Confront the parents, this has to be sorted before the little fecker does actually hurt someone.

EDIT: Bugger... should read the thread before posting... Scum beat me to it...

Good on ya for fronting up to the dad. I assume mum was not there, or was she in hiding? Too scared of her man too????? Stink response from dad means you need to report it to the cops, let them do their thing. The kid is 6 so expect little, but rest easy that a "dossier" is commenced for this up and coming scrote. Mum perhaps can be spoen to on the side away from the hubby, who sounds like he looses it way too easy.... probably on her too perhaps????

Strange as it may seem; "shoot the fuck" was the first thing that crossed my mind. Weird that. Mum was there and she actually offered an apology, he didn't even though he did 99% of the talking. He's a cock.

Cops? Dunno about that. I've been thinking about CYF's tho. Been doing a lot of thinking in the last 48hrs actually and one or two ideas are germinating through the calm.

peasea
19th September 2007, 21:15
We were much the same,good income with two wages,had kids within 21 mths of each other,mum stayed home,coped sort of,looking back though tough as.Had a friend and she went to work shortly after boy was born,mind you she had a daughter at 17 so this boy was born when she was 29 or so,both her kids are fine,still can't see why parents can't spend time with the kids,we planned to have her work parttime hours whilst kids at school,or after I was home from work.Can remember one time youngest was at kindy,took older one to school and then off to kindy,had good time and enjoyed doing it,mother was on a parents centre course/pissup/conferance at time.Best thing you can spend with kids is TIME,sadly seems lacking in this case,wonder if the kids play sport,hard when you work rostered sat mornings,but can be done,hell I'd go to netball,then play soccer in arvo,kids would come down after the match,to easy with nothing electronic to keep em amused.

Maaate! Wet, cold afternoons at the netball court, great fun. The kids got out there tho, so did I. It's all worth it in the end, right?

Indiana_Jones
19th September 2007, 21:20
I think you should report it, and sooner rather then later.

-Indy

Patrick
21st September 2007, 12:24
Strange as it may seem; "shoot the fuck" was the first thing that crossed my mind. Weird that. Mum was there and she actually offered an apology, he didn't even though he did 99% of the talking. He's a cock.

Cops? Dunno about that. I've been thinking about CYF's tho. Been doing a lot of thinking in the last 48hrs actually and one or two ideas are germinating through the calm.

Nah, not strange, a normal reaction IMHO. CYPS will turn up and see that the kid is in a good home with two working and financially comfortable parents, no worries there... see ya later...

Police however will commence a youth dossier and he will be in their books for future reference...

Talk to the mum further without the cock being there... sounds like she is the one with her head screwed on, as opposed to the dad, who is pulling on his....

peasea
21st September 2007, 13:27
Nah, not strange, a normal reaction IMHO. CYPS will turn up and see that the kid is in a good home with two working and financially comfortable parents, no worries there... see ya later...

That crossed my mind.
So did writing the father a perfumed, steamy love letter. Now that'd be funny, zero expense too.

canarlee
21st September 2007, 13:31
That crossed my mind.
So did writing the father a perfumed, steamy love letter. Now that'd be funny, zero expense too.

potentially wrecking a marraige is funny?

peasea
21st September 2007, 13:56
Settle down. I won't be doing it, I just thought about it.

Seriously, can you not see any humour in that at all?

canarlee
21st September 2007, 14:02
Settle down. I won't be doing it, I just thought about it.

Seriously, can you not see any humour in that at all?

i can see the humor in it yes.

what i was wondering though is that if any of the people who jumped on "light" on his thread about potentially "patting" a ladies bum while passing them would see the same downside or whether it would be funny to them.

so many here will attack a new member for saying something like what you did but if they have been a member for a while or have a high post count they dont get the same treatment. why?

*sorry for the hi-jack lol*

MSTRS
21st September 2007, 14:12
Anyone being a cock on here gets jumped on. Admittedly, the steelcaps only go on for the unknown cocks....

canarlee
21st September 2007, 14:15
Anyone being a cock on here gets jumped on. Admittedly, the steelcaps only go on for the unknown cocks....

then why wasnt peasea jumped on by the almighty?

not that i want it to happen mind, am just wondering tis all.........call it playing devils advocate maybe.....?

Luckylegs
21st September 2007, 18:02
i can see the humor in it yes.

what i was wondering though is that if any of the people who jumped on "light" on his thread about potentially "patting" a ladies bum while passing them would see the same downside or whether it would be funny to them.

so many here will attack a new member for saying something like what you did but if they have been a member for a while or have a high post count they dont get the same treatment. why?

*sorry for the hi-jack lol*

ooh, ooh that'd be me... (Although I did chill after his explanation), and, so...

1. This thread is already how old. Im not opening the thread every 5 minutes but rather a once daily catchup means that the comment wasnt seen until this afternoon. Whereas Lights comment was new and hence came up in a new post search.

2. The father (at least in Peasea's account of the world, and Im not here to argue that) is that they guy was abit of a "dick" whereas Light was talking about an innocent party providing no provacation (yes some will argue that point but thats another thread altogether... NOT ME)

3. The letter would take a series of subsequent events to transpire for the said ending of the marriage to occur whereas in Lights post the "offence" and effect was instant.

... And thats the bottom line, cos stone cold said..... woops sorry, no thats the WWE (wrestling), Im easily distracted

:dodge:

jrandom
21st September 2007, 18:04

I can jump on you if you like.

I'm wearing fluffy slippers, though.

I couldn't resist; they have these scrumptious little bunny ears on the sides...

:love:

peasea
21st September 2007, 18:31
then why wasnt peasea jumped on by the almighty?

Coz I'm a likeable chap I suppose. Albeit with a warped sense of humour.

Coldrider
21st September 2007, 22:22

Yes, the newbies soon work out who is what, and after they don't care, it doesn't matter, and get to high count posters. Natural selection.:Pokey:

jafar
21st September 2007, 23:11
Coz I'm a likeable chap I suppose. Albeit with a warped sense of humour.

Nah it's cos you ride a harley & their scared of its incontinence :devil2:

texasGOLD
21st September 2007, 23:17
If I cut him up perhaps

The kid needs a kicking.

I can do some digging via the MOE.
The cops are too busy dishing out 111kph tickets.

get in my car and go and shoot the fuck

I'd love to kick the little shithead
Nah, if I'm going to kick him I'll wait six months, he won't know what it's about then.

Look I have to say this is a 6 year old your talking about. I think that you should publish your full name date of birth and address out so someone here can report you to the police.

texasGOLD
21st September 2007, 23:20
You ask what would I do?

In the given situation, a 17 year old, yours, comes home crying, she CLAIMS that one of the three primary aged kids she is supposed to be baby sitting had a knife behind his back and his pupils were dilated.

17 year old girls are world wide knowen for exageratting and dramatising things to glam it up a bit.

The supposed incident occurred when he didn't want to do his home work after spending the day at school. The kid should be given a medal for realising that at such a young age, home work is benefitless to everyone but those who sell homework books, homework doesn't exist in the real world. Only school. Its not necesary on any level. Your 17 year old girl "Saved Him From HimSelf". I'm sure she put the kid in a great mood doing so.

There are peaceful ways and means of making a 6 year old kid do something, even making them think they want to do what you want that don't result in potential scenarios that you have described. If your 17 year old hasn't quite realised these then possibly she isn't a suitable baby sitter for three primary aged kids.

Should the knives be locked? Who knows. What was a 6 year old going to do with a knife? Put some peanut butter on her? Come on get off it, there is no way a 6 year old could stab someone.

Should the kid be on medication? I doubt it very much unless he undergoes pscyahiatric testing, an MRI an EEG and various other tests done that show there is a DEFINTILY not possibly but DEFINTLY a brain malfunction / damage. At an age of 6 where the brain is developing so quickly a more suitable way would be better parenting and role models. Perhaps yourself seeing as you think so highly of yourself, Call it project the kid that tried to stab mine an turn him into a fine young gentleman.

It is fairly common here for kid swap, or mentoring. Many schools run mentor programs where a SUITABLE mentor takes on a child at risk of not reaching potential, and follows them for a few years and helps them develop in a non parental way.

You say you feel obliged to run down to the police station an narc a 6 year old in, FUCK MAN, narking in a 6 year old? That will stick with him for ever, If you really do care, TRY HELP HIM FIRST. I dont care if you dont like tree huggers.

Sure I got a licking and a kicking and the strap, you probably did to, but like you keep bitching about speeding tickets, its very much illegal anywhere in the world and for you to do that would really help the kid to growing into what ever he has the potential to become. Want another loser on the strees who WILL stab your daughter? GO DO IT

peasea
21st September 2007, 23:44
You ask what would I do?

In the given situation, a 17 year old, yours, comes home crying, she CLAIMS that one of the three primary aged kids she is supposed to be baby sitting had a knife behind his back and his pupils were dilated.

17 year old girls are world wide knowen for exageratting and dramatising things to glam it up a bit.

The supposed incident occurred when he didn't want to do his home work after spending the day at school. The kid should be given a medal for realising that at such a young age, home work is benefitless to everyone but those who sell homework books, homework doesn't exist in the real world. Only school. Its not necesary on any level. Your 17 year old girl "Saved Him From HimSelf". I'm sure she put the kid in a great mood doing so.

There are peaceful ways and means of making a 6 year old kid do something, even making them think they want to do what you want that don't result in potential scenarios that you have described. If your 17 year old hasn't quite realised these then possibly she isn't a suitable baby sitter for three primary aged kids.

Should the knives be locked? Who knows. What was a 6 year old going to do with a knife? Put some peanut butter on her? Come on get off it, there is no way a 6 year old could stab someone.

Should the kid be on medication? I doubt it very much unless he undergoes pscyahiatric testing, an MRI an EEG and various other tests done that show there is a DEFINTILY not possibly but DEFINTLY a brain malfunction / damage. At an age of 6 where the brain is developing so quickly a more suitable way would be better parenting and role models. Perhaps yourself seeing as you think so highly of yourself, Call it project the kid that tried to stab mine an turn him into a fine young gentleman.

It is fairly common here for kid swap, or mentoring. Many schools run mentor programs where a SUITABLE mentor takes on a child at risk of not reaching potential, and follows them for a few years and helps them develop in a non parental way.

You say you feel obliged to run down to the police station an narc a 6 year old in, FUCK MAN, narking in a 6 year old? That will stick with him for ever, If you really do care, TRY HELP HIM FIRST. I dont care if you dont like tree huggers.

Sure I got a licking and a kicking and the strap, you probably did to, but like you keep bitching about speeding tickets, its very much illegal anywhere in the world and for you to do that would really help the kid to growing into what ever he has the potential to become. Want another loser on the strees who WILL stab your daughter? GO DO IT

I'm sorry, I had it all wrong, it'll never happen again.
Sob.

Are you stoned?

texasGOLD
21st September 2007, 23:54
I'm sorry, I had it all wrong, it'll never happen again.

It is a naive man that believes every word that comes out of a 17 year olds mouth, I do not mind helping out those who are being misinformed and lied to. I also do not mind you NOT fucking up a 6 year old for life.

Hey don't forget to inform the nice officer who will deal with your complaint about the 6 year old of your publicised threats of violence when you NARK him in. Same with the school principal.

peasea
22nd September 2007, 00:01
It is a naive man that believes every word that comes out of a 17 year olds mouth, I do not mind helping out those who are being misinformed and lied to. I also do not mind you NOT fucking up a 6 year old for life.

Hey don't forget to inform the nice officer who will deal with your complaint about the 6 year old of your publicised threats of violence when you NARK him in. Same with the school principal.

When I NARK him in? When? You're making an assumption.