PDA

View Full Version : '79/80 Honda XR500A

Kwaka-Kid
8th October 2004, 20:22
Hey guys, just thought id introduce myself to the dirt section of KB as i have never really lurked here before.

and hopefully tomorrow i pick up the beast which titles this post, a Honda XR500A... yeehaw! have not riden dirt for 4 years (since i turned 15 and got a street bike) but still have an old Radial valve 1984 Honda XR200 kicking about with a smokey motor.

Plan was to put this 500 motor (which aint turned in over 10 years) in the 200 once i was done getting it going, but now if the frame and all the gear is in good enough shape ive been talked into not restoring it but making it as stock as possible, as apparently there is a Vintage Motorcross race section that it would fit into? is this info correct? and if so is it worth me doing on this bike?

despite doing a fair bit of dirt riding a long time ago im far from even being an average dirt rider... so i guess im asking how hardout is the class and/or is it a bit of a fun/leisure thing... id hope that maybe over some serious time i could improve skills on the girl and aim for it a year or three down the track, who knows.

anyways yeah! hiyah dudes, hope to catch you at woodhill sometime in the future. Also does anybody know of anywhere free and localish to west auckland to take a dirtbike? i used to go to Corban Ave in hendo where there was a track cut around a car junk yard, was mean, but now its got some school or something on it. before that was another part of Bruce Mclaren road thats now got housing on it, and before that was New Lynn right beside the ambulance bay, where i learnt to ride and it was a wicked little track with a few nice jumps and a table top... ahh so many good memories i cant wait to get back.

too much typing already! catchyas later! :wavey:

Motu
8th October 2004, 20:57
It's lucky the RF200 got to the smokey stage,they were grenades and Honda dropped them pretty damned quick and went back to the old motor.Mind you I rode one with a Wiseco kit and it was bloody fast,but heavier than the XR200R.It will have a prolink,and classic MX is twinshock only,although there might be a class for early monoshock,I dunno.Classic motocross is supposed to be laid back - but I hear on the grapevine some guys don't like losing,that'd be sad.

Dunno where to ride these days - Woodhill,the one on SH22 and organised trail rides are your lot unless you know a friendly farmer.http://www.vmx.livewire.gen.nz/

Kwaka-Kid
8th October 2004, 21:25
thanks dude, a few things, - RF200? :S but yes i know the first of hte radial valves were shite, throwing them valves all over. and what will have a prolink? my XR500? nope shes a 79/80 twin shocker tin tanker.

but thanks for the info and web link motu! u da man :D

Motu
8th October 2004, 21:47
Well your XR200 will be prolink,you are putting an XR500 into it - or did I read that wrong.

Sensei
8th October 2004, 21:51
Yep owned a hotted up XR500A & XR500RC they like to crack around the left exhaust valvestem . Which show's as a oil leak by the headerpipe /sparkplug area . May pay to check as it's a bugger to fix . I still have a gasket set for a XR500A in the shed from my last Project .SENSEI NP

Kwaka-Kid
9th October 2004, 07:38
yeah sorry muto dude! my bad in understanding.

OooooOOeeEe, sensei... gasket set you say? might be very very interested as i think ill find the rings will be rusted to the bore s a rebuild will be in place, and that sure aint cheap.

even if not i will most likly be stripping it down at some stage in the near future anyway... so where abouts are you dude and what would you be willing to part with it for?

Firefight
9th October 2004, 08:52
hey Logan, you can ride half of woodhill durning the week for free, the other half is closed due to logging requirments,We are relocating bike park soon, to a much better part of woodhill, more dirt less sand, Maratotos is a good ride , but a bit of a drive for you(just south of Kopu).

As Motu suggests "Thunder Valley "" on H/Way 22 is good, not free but bloody good ride, 750 acres of hills, bit of forest, swamp, ruts, 2x moto x tracks, large open hay paddocks,steep ridges, bush, natural jumps with big air(if you have the balls for it !)safe parking.Normally open 3 week days and week end, let me know if you want someone to ride with there.Pm me for contact details.

also "Jam track" between Clevedon and Dudders beach is good, small Motox track, and small bush loop, can ride there week days and week ends, ride by arrangment with the farmer, who is also a moto x rider.

Small track at Ararimu, not that far from 750Ys place.

Heaps of Honda riders club/power adventures trail rides coming up, watch for Raglin ride, and port waikato, both good rides.They also do rides up north which are pretty good.

Also a new track open at reparoa(bit far maybe?)

I will be working woodhill at the end of the month(last saturday I think) your welcome to come up then.

F/F :crazy:

Kwaka-Kid
9th October 2004, 13:42
FF i might come up to say hey and stuff but dunno if bikell be going then, infact i doubt it, just got it home, the from the looks of it shes missing a few things etc but engine intact. Hope she turns over, i have just put a squirt of CRC down spark plug hole and a few squirts of oil to free up the rings incase it is slightly rusted in, for when i go to turn it over tomorrow.

anyway yeah FF i cant wait to do some wicked trails out there on it even in stock form... would be mean as if you came and gave me pointers too etc.

Sensei
9th October 2004, 19:20
Hey Kwaka Kid Live in New Plymouth . Will see what is there & let you know .Around $20 -30 for the lot .will price them up . Sensei :niceone:

NordieBoy
9th October 2004, 20:27
Plan was to put this 500 motor (which aint turned in over 10 years) in the 200 once i was done getting it going, but now if the frame and all the gear is in good enough shape ive been talked into not restoring it but making it as stock as possible, as apparently there is a Vintage Motorcross race section that it would fit into? is this info correct? and if so is it worth me doing on this bike?

Leave it stock and get yourself down to Havlock by 10am tomorrow.

North v South Classic Motorcross Challenge :first:

VMX is a lot more laid back than "normal" mx.

:ride: