PDA

View Full Version : Borrowing a 250 for license in Wellington.

caesius
18th September 2007, 10:25
I'm not risking an $800 fine for no L-plate and riding a bike with a too big engine so I'm going to get my restricted so I'm only risking $400 fine. Thats a 50% saving. :niceone:

Anyway I'm in Wellington in one of those dicky things they call hostels, it's on Willis street so I'm pretty much limited to the city. Where can I go to hire a 250cc bike for the test? Google didn't help, I was going to ask here before I go ringing around because I'm sure someone has some experience finding a bike in Wellington.

A lot of information's in the "Sitting your restricted" thread but anyone have a specific time or place NOT to take the test?

Cheers.

Stickchick
18th September 2007, 10:35
Ring Wellington Motorcycles they be able to help you as I know of someone that sat his full on one of their 250s.

Drum
18th September 2007, 10:40
These guys have a new bike hire shop in Dixon Street and apparently hire out Hyosung 250's.....

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=55480&highlight=bike+hire+wellington

Paul in NZ
18th September 2007, 10:41
Theres a moped / scooter hire place in Guzhnee (sp) I think?

caesius
18th September 2007, 10:48
Are you allowed to sit it on a scooter? Nah, think I'd prefer a bike anyway. Cheers, I'll take a look at that place on Dixon street.

Paul in NZ
18th September 2007, 10:55
OK - I got the wrong street - thats the place... Nothing wrong with taking your test on a scooter - damned fine machines some of them.

caesius
18th September 2007, 11:04
Hmmm... I've just remembered a story my mate told me, he absolutely swears he not only got his restricted on a 400, but that every single time he got pulled over the cops thought he was on a 250. Why? Because he took all the "XXX 250" decals off another bike and chucked em on his.

Would've thought they'd look at the rego. Neat trick in theory though.

Bullitt
18th September 2007, 17:48
While it may work I dont think Id try it. Depends on the bike I suppose whether a larger but identical looking version exists.

Remember for the test if they pick up its bigger than a 250 you wont even be sitting the test and you wont get a refund, which will be more expensive than a 250 hire Id guess

cowboyz
18th September 2007, 18:06
go into any bike shop and they will help you out.

caesius
19th September 2007, 11:31
Found a friend! And said friend has scooter. Are you sure you can do the 6R test on s 50cc scooter? It didn't say anything about it on the LTSA website.

Kinje
19th September 2007, 13:56
Found a friend! And said friend has scooter. Are you sure you can do the 6R test on s 50cc scooter? It didn't say anything about it on the LTSA website.

From LTNZ (http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/factsheets/28.html) website you "can't use a moped for a restricted or full licence practical test."

They don't talk about scooters, but there is info (http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/publications/infosheets/infosheet-1-10.html#classes) on the definition of a moped that says it must have an engine smaller than 50cc and max speed less than 50km/hr, and a motorcycle has engine larger than 50cc and max speed greater than 50km/hr

Maybe ring the AA or driver testing place you're going and ask about it. It would suck to turn up and have them tell you its no good.

Good luck with the test

McJim
19th September 2007, 14:11
LTSA have language difficulties. A Moped is any 2 wheeled motorised vehicle with a capacity of 50cc or less restricted to 2Kw.

A 50cc Scooter is by their definition a Moped and cannot be used for a practical restricted or full test.

a 150cc scooter is not a moped even by their weird definitions.

I know that a Moped is really a motorised 2 wheeled vehicle that is started by using bicycle pedals but no one told them that eh?

klingon
19th September 2007, 20:00
LTSA have language difficulties. A Moped is any 2 wheeled motorised vehicle with a capacity of 50cc or less restricted to 2Kw.

A 50cc Scooter is by their definition a Moped and cannot be used for a practical restricted or full test.

a 150cc scooter is not a moped even by their weird definitions.

I know that a Moped is really a motorised 2 wheeled vehicle that is started by using bicycle pedals but no one told them that eh?

That is certainly a strange definition of a moped. You'd think even basic logic would give them a hint: 'mo' for motor + 'ped' for pedals = mo-ped

Kinje
20th September 2007, 16:00

They don't talk about scooters, but there is info (http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/publications/infosheets/infosheet-1-10.html#classes) on the definition of a moped that says it must have an engine smaller than 50cc and max speed less than 50km/hr, and a motorcycle has engine larger than 50cc and max speed greater than 50km/hr

What about if the 50cc scooter can go faster than 50km/hr? Does it fall under moped or motorcycle? Or is that just crazy talk?

bungbung
20th September 2007, 16:23
What about if the 50cc scooter can go faster than 50km/hr? Does it fall under moped or motorcycle? Or is that just crazy talk?

If it falls outside the moped requlations (faster or more than 2kw) it should be registered as a motorcycle..

Colapop
20th September 2007, 17:48
Ring Wellington Motorcycles they be able to help you as I know of someone that sat his full on one of their 250s.
It was me!! PM me if you like...