PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get reflective sticky tape?

HungusMaximist
18th September 2007, 12:59
Yep like the titile suggests I need some reflective sticky tape so I can stick them on my panniers and helmet.

I have had trouble finding stuff some small amounts and most of the places I have tried only do them in bulk (over $100 bucks).

The only success I have had was the little japanese store next to burger fuel on Queen St, although they only do it by 6cm by 6cm squares and it's costs 3 bucks each.

If can you suggest some brands and places I can get some cheap please let me know or if you have some at home and keen on giving me some let me know also!

Cheers. :headbang:

MSTRS
18th September 2007, 13:02
Ring/go to any signwriter. Tell them you need a small piece of Engineering grade reflective and the colour you want. They'll probably cut you a strip off a roll for FA.

Kiwifire72
18th September 2007, 13:03
Any Safety shop sells it if they sell hard hats and all that stuff they will also have reflective tape in various colours and sizes

TLMAN
18th September 2007, 13:06
Any Safety shop sells it if they sell hard hats and all that stuff they will also have reflective tape in various colours and sizes

Yeah there is a NZ safety shop on Archers Rd, Glenfield. I would guarantee they sell it.

HungusMaximist
18th September 2007, 13:08
Ring/go to any signwriter. Tell them you need a small piece of Engineering grade reflective and the colour you want. They'll probably cut you a strip off a roll for FA.

Good idea, I'll ring around aye.

avgas
18th September 2007, 13:09
K-Mart St Lukes had it when i needed it for the GB.
Also a few of the 1,2 $3 shops have it too

fergie
18th September 2007, 13:50
repco? or auto one stocks it. least they did when i bought some for my boat trailler.

Griff
18th September 2007, 14:03
Yep like the titile suggests I need some reflective sticky tape so I can stick them on my panniers and helmet.

Be careful how much reflective tape you apply as it makes you a bigger target at night.

HungusMaximist
18th September 2007, 14:51
Be careful how much reflective tape you apply as it makes you a bigger target at night.

Thanks but half of the time nobody seem to notice me. :laugh:

Griff
18th September 2007, 14:56
Thanks but half of the time nobody seem to notice me. :laugh:

Be aware that no matter how much reflective tape you have or how brightly coloured you and your Bike are, cage drivers will still say "Sorry Bro... Didn't see ya."

(On this occaision, I am NOT taking the piss).

Fox Rider
19th September 2007, 09:05
Good old Supercheap Auto sells the stuff too

HungusMaximist
28th September 2007, 14:50
Good old Supercheap Auto sells the stuff too

You serious I never seen the stuff there aye?

Maybe I gotta look harder. You got a name?

And also the dude talking about the 1,2,3$ shops, the only one I have seen is the jap store next to burger fuel on Queen St, by Borders.

Anymore peeps? :rolleyes:

bert_is_evil
28th September 2007, 15:00
These guys do pannier and helmet decals as well as custom laser cut. The ones thay show pic's of are quite cool because they look black in the daylight, however I think there is a rule in NZ about having only red reflectors to the rear though which would include your panniers because they are fixed to the bike, so you might need to check on that (reflectors you are wearing on your helmet would be exempt)

http://www.reflectivedecals.com/saddle.htm

Zapf
29th September 2007, 01:47
I have bought a few meters to cover different things, you'll find them hidden on my bike and helmet.

I only buy the 3M stuff, they are not cheap. But they are very good. What color you looking for? I have black and white.... not sure how much black I have left.

Fox Rider
1st October 2007, 18:22
You serious I never seen the stuff there aye?

Maybe I gotta look harder. You got a name?

And also the dude talking about the 1,2,3$ shops, the only one I have seen is the jap store next to burger fuel on Queen St, by Borders.

Anymore peeps? :rolleyes:

Yeah, they sell it in a roll about 40-50cm odd long. Not too expensive either.

Im Josh and work at the christchurch branch so I wont be much help to ya being in Auckland and everything. But all stores should carry it.

P.S. Sorry for the late reply. Am on holiday and have no access to internet

Zuki Bandit
1st October 2007, 18:44
Yeah, as MSTRS said you can get whatever colour you want from most sign writing shops, they usually charge anywhere from $50.00 to $75.00 per linear meter, not that you would need that much.

HungusMaximist
2nd October 2007, 23:01
What I actually wanted is just a few 10 cm by 10 cm pieces so I can cut arty shapes and stick it over my helmet and panniers. If you got some hiding at home, hook us up!

I am liking that 'reflective decals' website mentioned by Bert Is Evil. They have this funky reflective neoprene halo band that you wrap around your helmet. It also non permanent and comes straight off like it's either elastic or velcro.

notasothers
3rd October 2007, 18:55
Never mind the reflective tape... get a race muffler!
If they can hear you they should be able to see you.

NighthawkNZ
3rd October 2007, 19:07
As the others have suggested... heres what I did to my panniers

I got standard reflectors put on, and then on the side (which I don't have a photo of) I put a couple of smaller orange reflectors. the strip was and the lower silver also reflected light. The middle red strip reflected which was standard.

Apparently it light up like a xmas tree...

Steam
3rd October 2007, 19:15
I don't condone theft, but in the past I have found road cones to be a great source of reflective sticky. The reflectorised bit comes off fairly easy, and it's still real sticky when it does. The roading company just replaces it. (Maybe that's why it costs 40 million dollars to realign a small corner!)

boman
4th October 2007, 13:35
I got some scraps off a guy that works for the A.A. They use it on all there signs. He was one of the mobile mechanics in Auckland. Admittedly that was a couple of years ago but its worth an ask.

H00dz
13th October 2007, 22:30
These guys do pannier and helmet decals as well as custom laser cut. The ones thay show pic's of are quite cool because they look black in the daylight, however I think there is a rule in NZ about having only red reflectors to the rear though which would include your panniers because they are fixed to the bike, so you might need to check on that (reflectors you are wearing on your helmet would be exempt)

http://www.reflectivedecals.com/saddle.htm

Do you know anyone local who sells these decals wanna get some

Bob
14th October 2007, 02:56

I have had trouble finding stuff some small amounts and most of the places I have tried only do them in bulk (over $100 bucks).

The only success I have had was the little japanese store next to burger fuel on Queen St, although they only do it by 6cm by 6cm squares and it's costs 3 bucks each.

If can you suggest some brands and places I can get some cheap please let me know or if you have some at home and keen on giving me some let me know also!

Cheers. :headbang:

Try Streetglo - I had a set of their helmet stickers on my last helmet - and they were excellent.

Click on this link for a full review - there is a link to Streetglo's site at the end (http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/streetglo.htm)

Hope this helps,

Bob

Pancakes
15th October 2007, 19:23

Thats what I was gonna say, I got some stuff done today, vinyl letters and they said it's too small to charge for!

bert_is_evil
16th October 2007, 10:05
They have this funky reflective neoprene halo band that you wrap around your helmet. It also non permanent and comes straight off like it's either elastic or velcro.

I bought one of those - it seemed too small for my helmet (although I'm sure with a little effort and perseverance it would have stretched), so I put it on my mtb helmet. The reflectiveness (reflectivity?) is quite amazing, I see it reflecting from the spare room like a torch whenever I walk past. Not sure how it works outside the house, because I haven't been out on my mtb since last summer...

HungusMaximist
16th October 2007, 10:16
^ Well, I haven't bought the 'halo' band yet but I was reading webbike review on the halo band and there was this comment made by a user which mentioned it flew off when he hit 70 mph and was flapping around his neck. So he decided to chuck it away instead....

I mean shit... 70 miles is about 112 kms.... That's not really good is it....

bert_is_evil
16th October 2007, 15:55
I'd be really surprised if this one flew off, perhaps they have modified the design since by making them smaller. I've heard they stretch over time but for US $10 you could probably afford to replace it every so often.

Toaster
17th October 2007, 11:28
I don't condone theft, but in the past I have found road cones to be a great source of reflective sticky. ... The roading company just replaces it. (Maybe that's why it costs 40 million dollars to realign a small corner!)

So that's why our roading expenditure is 10 times higher than it should be!!

Fess up, you have a sticky tape fetish don't you?! :doctor:

sAsLEX
17th October 2007, 11:42
What I actually wanted is just a few 10 cm by 10 cm pieces so I can cut arty shapes and stick it over my helmet and panniers. If you got some hiding at home, hook us up!

I am liking that 'reflective decals' website mentioned by Bert Is Evil. They have this funky reflective neoprene halo band that you wrap around your helmet. It also non permanent and comes straight off like it's either elastic or velcro.

On your other note I have extensively speed tested the Halo and not had it come off my commuting. Got mine off trademe for cheap as chips.