PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps this is something they need to see/read

Squiggles
18th September 2007, 15:07
http://www.speedfreakinc.com/content/articles/riding/roadrashqueen.html

Yesterday i saw a couple of girls leaving the parking on a scooter and burning down the road 2 up, sandels, shorts, and 1 helmet... i think they need to see this...

I've seen one of our club members who wears full gear on the rides show up twice now in a hoody and helmet (no gloves even)... Why bother getting any gear if you dont wear it?

A jacket, gloves and helmet if nothing else will save alot of skin

Yes i know the link is a repost

klyong82
18th September 2007, 15:28
Shucks pretty scary reading the article. If I was the GSXR rider I would have told her to put on proper protective cloths. Not sure how fast the GSXR was going but if it was me I would never be going at crazy speeds with a pillion behind. If anything happens to me then it is my fault but anything happen to my pillion I wonder how can I ever look at myself.

So protective cloths is important. Gloves and jackets are a must. I remember years back bike jackets were costing at a starting price of $300 bucks and last couple of years due to the high exchange rates and certain individuals starting to import bike jackets from Pakistan and China on their own.

We can get proper jackets now from $180. I am glad the group of uni students and kiwibikers that come on rides with us know this and are always in their proper biking gears.

HungusMaximist
18th September 2007, 16:38
http://www.speedfreakinc.com/content/articles/riding/roadrashqueen.html

Yesterday i saw a couple of girls leaving the parking on a scooter and burning down the road 2 up, sandels, shorts, and 1 helmet... i think they need to see this...

I've seen one of our club members who wears full gear on the rides show up twice now in a hoody and helmet (no gloves even)... Why bother getting any gear if you dont wear it?

A jacket, gloves and helmet if nothing else will save alot of skin

Yes i know the link is a repost

Be a man Steven and you should have quickly offer the girls your leathers, fluff talk about how you ride a GN during the week and a beast TL during the weekends, then proceed in getting their phone numbers

Of course, only do this if they are hot... :devil2:

yungatart
18th September 2007, 16:43
A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion, still.

deanohit
18th September 2007, 16:56
Repost, schmepost. I think that article should be a sticky as it's such a good lesson.
Heres the link to her myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/brit2morrow

Squiggles
18th September 2007, 18:42
A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion, still.

but those who are ignorant of the concequences might be changed

terbang
18th September 2007, 19:01
Sobering... Interestingly enough, I saw no post accident mention of the BF... He also played a part in it too.

motorbyclist
18th September 2007, 19:35
one of my cousins down in christchurch died doing what that girl did;

no gear

pillion on boyfriend's bike

some ridiculous speed

road rash down to the bone

it might pay to note, that in an accident one should roll rather than slide unless the have full gear on - you're better off breaking both legs than grinding down to/through your knee caps. moral is to wear as much gear as possible (jacket, gloves and FULL face helmet minimum)

it's beyond me how they still sell open face helmets

Macstar
18th September 2007, 20:15
Does this count as suitable protective clothing?

sunhuntin
18th September 2007, 20:25
theres nothing wrong with open face lids. hell, over in the states, there are some places where they dont have to wear any helmet at all! and we used to have that same choice up until about 20-odd years ago.

once summer really sets in and i have some spare dosh, im gonna get one of those road legal half lids.

motorbyclist
18th September 2007, 20:36
i value my face, so i'll never use an open face helmet - but yeah those flip-open ones look handy

Reckless
18th September 2007, 20:49
I think that shaun or whoever it was riden it needs a good f..king up the arse for goin so fast his babe gets blown of the back especially the way he let her dress for it.
Shit I'd much rather go slower and feel those boobs on your back as you brake into a corner! Much better than scrapen a good lookin lass off the road cause you gotta be a big hero.

deanohit
18th September 2007, 20:57
Too true Reckless.

I've always liked open face helmets, but have only worn them around town or when I'm just cruisin, when I go hard out I wear a full face. Each helmet has it's place. I used to ride without gloves on the really hot days, but after ruining a set of gloves in a slow off, and thinking what that would have done to my hands, I now subscribe to the ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time)

Hanne
18th September 2007, 21:04

Not too sure about the protection part, but the colour scheme is quite nice :laugh:

motorbyclist
18th September 2007, 22:06
the term "skin crayon" comes to mind

Macstar
4th October 2007, 10:37
I want to dig this thread up cause riding back from uni today I saw a guy coming across the Grafton bridge turning into Symonds St heading down to uni on a Yellow naked 250, pretty sure it was a Bandit (remarkedly similar to the one that was at our club AGM on Sunday...?).

Anyway, the guy was in a T-shirt and not wearing gloves. IF it was the fella from our club, come on man!!!!!!!!!!!!! We got a rep to uphold here - setting the example for all those fashion concious dickhead other bikers that trump around in jandals, shorts and singlets or heels, skirts and boob tubes (I wish).

I know it's a bitch to suit up for a 5km ride - but that's when the shit is most likely gonna happen (when you merily making your way into uni thinking about some chick or what time your class is and BAAAAAAAAMMMMMMM!!!!!).

Rant over. Thank you for listening.

ehab2weelr
4th October 2007, 12:23
aooooch that did not look verey nice. :crazy: i would not wana be her!

i allwys put my gear on only because i think befor i act.
i know that we dont have doors and a hood to save our skin?
yea it tacks 5min to put the gear on, but it tacks for ever for scars to heel.
and hay it givs ur bike more time to worm up.

THINK BEFORE YOU ACT!!!!!!!

motorbyclist
4th October 2007, 16:10
yea, it is good to let your bike warm up while you gear up....

when i was leaving i saw a guy on a naked hyosung parked down under the commons gear up and then start his bike to leave without any warmup at all, kinda feel sorry for the thing having an owner like that:(

atleast he had full gear on though, even looked like pants and boots (which i only wear on the REALLY bad days or any rides)

Squiggles
4th October 2007, 16:30
Anyway, the guy was in a T-shirt and not wearing gloves.

Think it might be him again :(

Grub
4th October 2007, 16:42

No! Her helmet's not done up properly

motorbyclist
5th October 2007, 11:36
lol it isn't even a bike helmet!

though sometimes the difference between aircraft and sportbikes can be fuzzy:laugh:

HungusMaximist
5th October 2007, 13:52
^ Had a good read at the article...... OUCH!

I literally felt 'sore' in my heart just imagining how it happened, let alone losing of one your tits from it...... eeek.....

bomma
5th October 2007, 13:55
fuk man the pain she went through sounds horrbile and it definately isnt something i want myself or anone i know to EVER go through!!! the guy on the yellow bandit sounds like al's mate (lol its funni how nobody knows his name)....him and al are world famous around uni for riding around without gear but ive been puttin the pressure on em everytime i see em and hopefully they'll wisen up........

what a pity man that chick was mint too.....

breakaway
5th October 2007, 16:39

Those are some pretty hairy arms :shutup:

bomma
6th October 2007, 20:09
Those are some pretty hairy arms :shutup:

bro seriously....HOW THE HELL DID YOU EVEN NOTICE THAT?!?!?!?!

shit think you're prolly the first person who has seen that pic to notice that!!! bet every other person was too busy checking out her.......protective clothing :whistle:

my gaydar's going off the charts here man!!!!!! JOKES!!!:lol:

but how the hell did you notice that?!?!:blink:

Squiggles
6th October 2007, 20:31
Did you notice the cam taped the wrong way round in mac's pic? :yes:

motorbyclist
6th October 2007, 20:39
lol no, it isn't the wrong way round!

i did notice the amount of packing tape used though:laugh:

breakaway
6th October 2007, 21:07
bro seriously....HOW THE HELL DID YOU EVEN NOTICE THAT?!?!?!?!

shit think you're prolly the first person who has seen that pic to notice that!!! bet every other person was too busy checking out her.......protective clothing :whistle:

my gaydar's going off the charts here man!!!!!! JOKES!!!:lol:

but how the hell did you notice that?!?!:blink:

It's yellow

ajturbo
6th October 2007, 21:23

NO... helmet not done up!

badassbandit
7th October 2007, 16:34
Yes im the idiot on the naked yellow bandit firstly i now know i should wear gloves every day and will do so however in my defence i only live in new market probably around 3km away from uni and due to central aucklands traffic hardly ever exceed 30km/hr, whenever i am planning on travelling over 50km/hr i do get all kitted up and i know most of you travel on the motorways to uni each day and would be crazy not to wear full protection gear. Before i upgraded to a bike i had a scooter and like most people i had my fair share of low speed bins and apart from the odd grazed knee i dont have any injuries to back your claims.
I know plenty of scooter riders and probably even cyclists that travel at far greater speeds than me to and from uni without anything more than a helmet but nobodys out there harrasing them.
Anyway sorry if i sound like a dick but i dont want to be labeled along side that faggot that grated his mrs, hope you guys had a sweet ride to whanga would have loved to had made it but have been stuck at uni doing assignments.
John

twinkle
7th October 2007, 17:05
and probably even cyclists that travel at far greater speeds than me to and from uni without anything more than a helmet
Usually I wear at least my undies as well :oi-grr:

but nobodys out there harrasing them. sometimes the women do, but meh i just go with it :bleh:

Squiggles
7th October 2007, 21:43
i'll show ya some gashes in my jacket from my >30k bin a couple of months ago, woulda looked nice on me belly im sure

Not labelling ya alongside the guy in the first post, but makes cha think eh?
just a jacket and gloves isnt that much more to take for what it could potentially do

as fer the gloves, gives ya a nice wee pain in the hands when ya trip and fall at 5k/hr... even scrapes the skin off, at 30 they'll prolly looks like this guys ass :spanking: i leave mine in my helmet, what do i loose? 2 secs puttin em on and taking them off (less time than it takes to read this sentence probably :blink:)

However, its your choice, good luck with it.

but nobodys out there harrasing them.
I've "harassed" a brave one that came by the signup stands last time, asking if they like their palms raw :baby: saw em two weeks back leaving with some of those cheap leather gloves (but they were there none the less...) i think ill mention jackets next, then another 200cc :lol:

HungusMaximist
7th October 2007, 22:26
^ Gotta agree with Steven there.

Instinctively, the first thing you do when you go down (a fall) is to put at yours hands to save yourself.

Theres not alot people you see who don't put out their hands when they fall, like actually who just let their head and body bits hit the ground.

How I fractured my wrist was, riding my bicycle and then falling. I clearly remembered was my left wrist crunching to the ground trying to save my head and face. Yep, my palms got pretty fucken raw even at those push bike speeds.

A no go without gloves man.

motorbyclist
7th October 2007, 22:47
Yes im the idiot on the naked yellow bandit firstly i now know i should wear gloves every day and will do so however in my defence i only live in new market probably around 3km away from uni and due to central aucklands traffic hardly ever exceed 30km/hr,

i've seen a mate spend 2 hours doing oil changes, brake pads etc etc and hop on his bike to test everything was sweet. didn't even get 20m down my driveway. changing to second he hit neutral, bike revved then engaged 2nd on it's own.

alot of blood soaked paper towels, several stitches, and xrays of his thumb.

as a rule now i don't care what i'm doing - helmet, jacket and gloves nomatter what, and if it's wet or i'm going for a ride (as opposed to a commute) it's boots and pants too

need i quote that statisitic that over half of all crashes happen within 5 km of home?

bomma
8th October 2007, 11:48
Before i upgraded to a bike i had a scooter and like most people i had my fair share of low speed bins and apart from the odd grazed knee i dont have any injuries to back your claims.

although u sound like a dick, its all good. i do psych so ill explain it using common sense but in psych terms. your experiences in the past (ie the lack of injurious crashes) has reinforced thought patterns that you wont get hurt in a crash!! this has been reinforced further by you not having been hurt, or not having had crashes. thus you have developed this attitude toward safety gear. in simple english, you think its fine coz nothing has happened SO FAR (and hopefully nothing will happen) but ya never know!!!

I know plenty of scooter riders and probably even cyclists that travel at far greater speeds than me to and from uni without anything more than a helmet but nobodys out there harrasing them.

to be honest, unless i personally know the cyclist or scooter rider, i dont give a flamin toss about em....i dont wish them harm but if they choose to ride with a hoodie, jandals and shorts then they assume risk at their own will and whether something happens or not is insignificant to me......but bikers are different...dnt want any biker to get hurt man.....keep safe aye :2thumbsup

breakaway
8th October 2007, 13:16
<html>So I pulled up to the lights today, I was in front of the queue, with 2 other's one on a nifty50 and the other on a street magic. Both were wearing helmet / gloves and hoodies. Then this attractive girl pulled up, on a shithouse 4T 50cc moped. As I was <strike>perving</strike> admiring her through my tinted visor :whistle:, I noticed that she wasn't wearing any protective gear except for a soup bowl. Also had a pillion on the back, wearing a soup bowl. No gloves / pants / jacket. Both wearing sleeveless tops. I'd hate to see what would happen if they came off.</html>

Just the other day I saw a a girl on a nifty 50 w/ pillion crashing her nifty50 into a tree at jogging pace, wearing next to no gear. Was funny as hell watching all the boys trying to be knights in shining armor helping them up.

scumdog
8th October 2007, 13:24
although u sound like a dick, its all good. i do psych so ill explain it using common sense but in psych terms. your experiences in the past (ie the lack of injurious crashes) has reinforced thought patterns that you wont get hurt in a crash!! this has been reinforced further by you not having been hurt, or not having had crashes. thus you have developed this attitude toward safety gear. in simple english, you think its fine coz nothing has happened SO FAR (and hopefully nothing will happen) but ya never know!!!

And this is why we have so many shit drivers/riders on the road - the old "I'm OK, never had a (bad) crash so what's the worry?" attitude - the younger the person, the more that attitude shows.

Bad shit seems to always only happen to that mythical "somebody else".

breakaway
8th October 2007, 13:30
Bad shit seems to always only happen to that mythical "somebody else".

Exactly right. When I was going down, I couldn't believe it was happening to me. Right until the time my bike hit the ground, I was confident I could save it. I was wearing ALL gear at the time, so I walked away with a tiny little scrape on my elbow.