PDA

View Full Version : Poll for learners : L plate or na?

Ragingrob
18th September 2007, 16:23
Hey just a poll to see how many learners actually show an L plate or what.

If you don't, give your reasons, eg. more respect from other road users, feel safer going 100 on motorway...etc etc.

I've just got my licence and don't have an L plate but maybe will get one.

Rob.

T-Thunder13
18th September 2007, 16:27
i never used one,mainly because of the 70kph restriction and i live out where the roads are all 100 so it really seemed alot safer. i also had to ride out of the time zone coz i left for work early. so i bought the plates the day befor my restricted and took em off the moment i passed.

deanohit
18th September 2007, 16:30
Nope, never used them as it's all open roads here where 70 is too slow for the flow of traffic.

HungusMaximist
18th September 2007, 16:35
You know, when I first started riding in Melbourne, Australia I put learner plates on but after a few rides I noticed the fucken screws on the learner plate is comming loose.

So being a handy man like myself, I gave it a good tightening with a screwdriver and off I went.

Soon enough, the next stop, I looked at the back and realised the plate flew off. Ever after that I decided not to get a new learner plate just because in Australia there's no silly regulations for learners in not being able to hit over 70 km. :pinch:

I was never pulled over once or scared of getting caught at check points. Plus in a hypothetical sitaution where the most unfortunate occurs and get done for not having a L plate, I'd say "FUCK, did it fly off again, this is the 3rd one this month", and proceed to pull out some learner plates outta my rear seat comparment space.

There's nothing wrong in having a L plate and a month ago I noticed a guy on a Hornet with 2 plates, one in the front and the other attached in the front on top of his lights, fixed some how by his screen (that's commitment).

But then again I can't answer your question properly as I got my learners in Australia. :cool:

EJT
18th September 2007, 16:38
Nah never did when on my learners. Work in the City and live in Papakura, so had to deal with the southern motorway every day. Not good if limited to 70.

carbacca
18th September 2007, 16:40
yes i ride with an L plate

riding outside license conditions = potential rejected insurace claims

its only 6 months, and i got 1 to go so it doesnt worry me much. plus it makes when i get my restricted to actually mean something i can look forward to

deanohit
18th September 2007, 16:41
I was never pulled over once or scared of getting caught at check points. Plus in a hypothetical sitaution where the most unfortunate occurs and get done for not having a L plate, I'd say "FUCK, did it fly off again, this is the 3rd one this month", and proceed to pull out some learner plates outta my rear seat comparment space.

Damn, gonna have to remem:niceone:ber that one.

Toaster
18th September 2007, 17:25
When it's $400 juicy pingers on the line for each licence breach (plus 25 demerits), it's worth sticking to your licence restrictions.

klingon
18th September 2007, 17:31
I wore my L plate while I was learning because I didn't want the $400 fine and I did want to be insured. Easy.

EJK
18th September 2007, 17:32
Give reasons?
ok...
Shhhhh!!

karmakillernz
18th September 2007, 18:01
I leave mine on because of two main reasons:

If I have an accident, it's just the thing the insurance company needs to reject my claim
If I get pulled up there's a strong possibility of a $400 fine

That said, I don't keep to 70kmph on the open road simply because it's not safe. I've passed a couple of road-side cops while going 100kmph with my L plates on but none have come after me. Hopefully it'll stay this way for another few months until I get my restricted.

motorbyclist
18th September 2007, 19:30
When it's $400 juicy pingers on the line for each licence breach (plus 25 demerits), it's worth sticking to your licence restrictions.

actually it's 50 demerit points

when i had my learners (got my full now) i had my l plate for the first 6 month until someone stole it

i spent the next 6 months without it, and was going to play the "must've flown off:innocent:" card if i got pulled over. that way i still had my second plate to eventually sit the test in.

however i did mostly observe the 70 kph thing most of the time and kept off the motorway, but never needed to use it anyway, and i did get the old fxr up to 80-90kph around my place (open road) after about 6 months

NighthawkNZ
18th September 2007, 19:38
I never put my L plate... (not even sure if they had them back then... :scratch:) not only that I was riding a 400.

Never got pinged... but i never did anything stupid either

Squiggles
18th September 2007, 19:39
That said, I don't keep to 70kmph on the open road simply because it's not safe. I've passed a couple of road-side cops while going 100kmph with my L plates on but none have come after me. Hopefully it'll stay this way for another few months until I get my restricted.

Cops seem to follow with this, unless you're breaking 110 or doing something silly in conjunction then they ignore it, hanne rode with l plate on all the time, as did i when i had it, never got pinged by any police, plus keeps the insurance worth paying (it is a license condition)

Rosie
19th September 2007, 08:46
Has anyone actually ever used the "Sorry officer, the L plate must have broken off" line?
And does it work? Or do they just chuckle quietly to themselves while writing your ticket?

marioc
19th September 2007, 09:47
yes i ride with an L plate

riding outside license conditions = potential rejected insurace claims

its only 6 months, and i got 1 to go so it doesnt worry me much. plus it makes when i get my restricted to actually mean something i can look forward to

yep good man same here,whats the point in a $400 fine for the sake of "looking cool".
I still travel at 100k's on the motorway as that law is very unlikely to be enforced,no l-plate however a different story.
Just the other day a mate of mine got fined for no l-plate.
I have found wellington drivers at least to be very thoughtful and patient when I have made mistakes and stalled the bike etc.
It is obvious they can see I am a learner and give me space.
Touch wood.

marioc
19th September 2007, 09:50
Has anyone actually ever used the "Sorry officer, the L plate must have broken off" line?
And does it work? Or do they just chuckle quietly to themselves while writing your ticket?

This is what my mate tried and that is exactly what happened,cops were not born yesterday.

Toaster
19th September 2007, 09:51
actually it's 50 demerit points

Nope. 25 per offence.

McJim
19th September 2007, 11:20
I voted yes coz I did for the whole 6 months. With the Price of 250s I needed all my cash to pay the loan on the bike. Thank god when I passed and I could sell the Honda 250 and buy a Ducati AND STILL HAVE CHANGE LEFT OVER!

Chickadee
19th September 2007, 11:48
Better to have it one for all the good reasons listed above like insurance and being given points if you're caught. I rode with an L plate when I had my learners. I'm a goodie two shoes though, but better to do the right thing aye!

LilSel
19th September 2007, 11:53
I dont use an L plate (cuz on restricted now lol...) but when I was on L licence, I didnt have a L plate on... I bought them the day before my restricted test n put on just before I went down to the testing station to sit it. I didnt wear a plate cuz I was just lazy I guess n didnt get around to it.
Also used motorways etc... +70kph... I understood the consequences of not displaying the plate ($400 fine) but in my 4 years of owning & riding my bike... I have not been pulled over once, responsible/safe riding=no problems with the law.... :whocares: if you really suck however, get professional lessons & wear an L plate lol... so others can 'keep distance'... & go riding with a mate!!... I found when I was starting out, the lessons helped n my partner at the time being on vtr1000 riding with me every time we went out really helped with my confidence etc. She would give me tips/advice etc... I never was 'alone' 'learning' or found it 'scary'... if you find it 'daunting'... wear an L plate... if you cant afford the fine... wear an L plate... if you riding alone n its 'scary'... wear an L plate...

Pretty much its your decision, just know the consequences of your actions and dont come online and bitch when you get a $400 fine for not displaying an L plate

DayRider
19th September 2007, 12:37
I have a nice big L plate on,

and gone passed cop cars, and cop speed cam points many many times doing just under 110, never got stopped :whistle:.

I have never heard from any one that they got stoped for doing more than 70, unless ofcourse they were doing 120 :p.

If I have an accident, it's just the thing the insurance company needs to reject my claim

EJK
19th September 2007, 14:07
Ok you guys are scaring me lol
I'm gonna go for my restricted soon :wari:

:wari::wari::wari::wari::wari::wari::wari::wari:

Joni
19th September 2007, 14:14
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=24252

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=17522

:niceone:

nagaraya
19th September 2007, 14:21
Voted yes but in reality had the plate on only during weekday commutes. During the weekends I'd just take it off. Mates were giving me shite about it :weep:

sunhuntin
19th September 2007, 14:33

same here. had mine on for 2 years now... slowly its getting worn down! LOL. aint much left after 20,000 plus k, lmfao.

have been overtaken by a cop down south... i was doing 110 due to sidewind. we just looked at each other, and he kept going.
having the l on is really the only rule i follow [o, and the 250 rule] have taken a co worker around the forecourt a couple of times, and have had the bike so heavily loaded, it may as well have been a person.

i prefer to stay on learners cos it makes things better for me. in the 2 years ive been riding, ive only been asked for a ride once, and that was by one of my favourite customers who used to ride when she was younger. id gladly take her too... just not yet.

Macstar
19th September 2007, 14:46
At first, yes (when I had a 250cc), but then I bought a Honda Rebel (CMX450) for the latter stages of my learners...

The guy I did my basic handling skills test suggested I either take my L plate off on the open road or just go 100kph for the same safety reasons as others have mentioned.

LilSel
19th September 2007, 14:48
i prefer to stay on learners cos it makes things better for me. in the 2 years ive been riding, ive only been asked for a ride once, and that was by one of my favourite customers who used to ride when she was younger. id gladly take her too... just not yet.

restricted means ya still cant take pillions n still no bigger than 250... only thing is no L plate n time restriction... sit ya restricted n nothing will change... just means when your ready to go to full... you dont have to wait (& less chance of being fined for breaking 'conditions of licence' ie; the time restriction, cuz we all know they dont bother bout the 70kph silly rule one!!)

:niceone:

Happybug
19th September 2007, 15:17
we didn't have L plates - heck when i sat licence, it was drizzling and cop didn't wanna get wet, so he said, u drive around the block and i'll watch. % mins later i had my licence.

Dargor
19th September 2007, 16:05
yes, unless im going to the land of 100kmph.

motorbyclist
19th September 2007, 18:34
Nope. 25 per offence.

it would seem you're right (http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/roadcode/about-driver-responsibility/stepping-over-the-line.html)... has the law changed since 2004?

i also see that
"Person under 20 driving or attempting to drive with excess breath or blood alcohol " = 50 demerit points

what does it matter what age you are? - you're still drunk, is it somehow more acceptable once you're over 20?

and
"Failing to keep as close as practicable to left edge of roadway" is 20 points - holy crap 90% of auckland is guilty of that one!

Chrislost
19th September 2007, 20:47
har haha har
i used a L plate only twice.
once to get my restricted, and once about 2 weeks ago on the gsxr of doom on a coro loop that never happened and ended up going to welsford.

Toaster
19th September 2007, 21:12
it would seem you're right (http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/roadcode/about-driver-responsibility/stepping-over-the-line.html)... has the law changed since 2004?

i also see that
"Person under 20 driving or attempting to drive with excess breath or blood alcohol " = 50 demerit points

what does it matter what age you are? - you're still drunk, is it somehow more acceptable once you're over 20?

and
"Failing to keep as close as practicable to left edge of roadway" is 20 points - holy crap 90% of auckland is guilty of that one!

Its been 25 demerits as long as I know. They are talking about increasing it though.

Age 20 is the defining point between 'youth' and 'adult' for traffic offences relating to drink driving.

There is another for the 20 and overs for the exact same thing - so no it is not more acceptable.

DRINK DRIVING (over the limit) is NEVER acceptable.:beer::2guns:

dino3310
19th September 2007, 21:43
had a DR500 so i didnt use the L plate cause i would have been busted

bomma
19th September 2007, 22:10
i was lazy and held my l license for about 2 years....had my l plate on for bout 2 days.....i felt confident enough that i wudnt need it based on the ease of which it is to ride....

got t-boned at royal oak (not my fault) on my bros bike after 10pm without an l-plate...insurance paid and cops didnt even ask....

i never did anything stupid that would drag attention my way and kept my eyes open at all times (as you do while on a bike)....basically if you cant afford to pay the many many consequences then keep to the law....

like we told kyle when he was looking to buy a 400 on his learners, think about the consequences and benefits.....he ended up buyin a 250, which got taken out by a car a few days after but as he was legal he was paid out.....

TRAINING WHEELS
19th September 2007, 22:56
Yes i rode most times with L plate on even outside of my conditions. I use to think about taking it off but thought about the insurance thing. No longer need the L plate and have since removed it :niceone:
How ever i did get pulled over for riding on a L plate and the lovely :Police: thought i was riding a much bigger bike :oi-grr: i got questioned as to wether or not it was re badged :Oi: i mean come on its a brand new bike why would i do that????? :rolleyes:

Out-law
19th September 2007, 23:36
I drive with my L plate all the time, and Im on M.way every day... going through the traffic and cops seems dont care.
There are more chances of getting pulled over when doing 70km/hr rather than 100km/hr because at 70 you are distraction on m.way and can cause truble...

However when I ride my ZZR1100 i dont put an L plate on it, that would be silly :)

ehab2weelr
20th September 2007, 11:09
i sade nope....
i oly had an L plate once and that wasnt even on my bike it was on the bike i used to set my restricted. hah
i just thought i didnt need it on only because other road users dont show respect to those with L plates. and allso iv been on my car full for well over 2 years.... didnt wana go back to the learner days...

i got into an accedent, cops came asked where was my L plate? i told him it must have fallen off as did my fearings.....and i got a way with it. insurens didnt ask eather.

i knew that if i was to get pulled over i would be fined $400... but if u ride safely ul never get pulled over...

restricted means ya still cant take pillions n still no bigger than 250... only thing is no L plate n time restriction... sit ya restricted n nothing will change... just means when your ready to go to full... you dont have to wait (& less chance of being fined for breaking 'conditions of licence' ie; the time restriction, cuz we all know they dont bother bout the 70kph silly rule one!!)

only no L plate, time restriction is still there....
and u can do 100kmh....

sunhuntin
20th September 2007, 12:26
in all honesty, as far as other road users not showing "respect" to l platers, most of the trouble ive had has been from cagers in front of me... pulling out from side streets, reversing from driveways. no way is that l plate related, because they cant see it! sure, ive tail gators, but thats cos i tend to ride like a nana, so again, not plate related.

bikerboy011
20th September 2007, 15:49
i've had an L-plate on when i got my learners but i dont need it any more as i got my restricted licence

motorbyclist
20th September 2007, 16:25
hey about this "if i don't act up i wont be ticketed" mentality - what if you go through a checkpoint and they ask to see your licence?

i know it's happened to me twice now, once with L plate and once on my restricted

fireball
20th September 2007, 17:15
whats an L plate? :lol: never used one they cause more trouble than they are worth been pulled over plenty but never ticketed just told to 'put your plate on kat and make sure you go straight home'

ride after hours over 70 no plate

but dont do dumb shit so its all good

Squiggles
20th September 2007, 22:23
hey about this "if i don't act up i wont be ticketed" mentality - what if you go through a checkpoint and they ask to see your licence?

i know it's happened to me twice now, once with L plate and once on my restricted

You bloody westies. :lol:
i've only ever been through one checkpoint (breathtesting) when the rugby was on at eden park and i was riding near it

Wear the plate but ride like everyone else (100k), dont have problems with tailgating, you're still insured and whats more, no need to makeup bullshit if something happens! :niceone:

Hanne
23rd September 2007, 21:28
most of the trouble ive had has been from cagers in front of me... pulling out from side streets, reversing from driveways. no way is that l plate related, because they cant see it!

That has been my experience too.

I wore my L plate on my learners because personally I didn't want to risk throwing away exorbitant amounts of money on a fine. Plus it only lasts for six months (Less if you consider that I got my licence in October, bike in January... )

I guess it is up to individuals whether they choose to wear one or not, but to honest I think that sometimes it is a bit of an ego thing when people choose not to. It can be very convenient to blame car drivers and use that as an excuse when really you don't want people to know that you only just started because the fact that you are 'learning' means you have less authority and are at risk of not being taken so seriously.

Just my 2cents.

motorbyclist
23rd September 2007, 22:43
yeah i don't see how an L plate would make drivers more likely to be dicks when you're holding them up or just cut them off

you'd think being a learner would make a good excuse for screw ups... i know two learners who refuse to use an l plate because they're embarrassed by it (and don't want police attention on the motorway)

and today i met a guy with no licence on an old kawasaki gpx750 put too much power on tuning out of a side street (in the wet) and lowside it. ruined bike. weird thing is that he's got as much experience as most young riders with their full, it's just that (it would seem) some people can't keep the things on the road somehow...

nzcanadian
1st October 2007, 22:39
Was chased/tail-gaited by a car of 16 year old wiggas on a Friday night as I was going home. No more L plates after that.

bomma
1st October 2007, 22:45
Was chased/tail-gaited by a car of 16 year old wiggas on a Friday night as I was going home. No more L plates after that.

lol when you get a bigger bike, just slow right down when someone's tail gating you....and then when they try an pass just give it some gas n cut em off....:lol:

get their blood really boiling!!! :jerry:

nah seriously dont do that, only a real munter would do that

Ragingrob
2nd October 2007, 15:24
The funny thing is that when people see L-plates they think like 15 year olds learning about riding/driving and the roads etc. When most of the time for bikes people already have their full car licence and know the roads better than all the 16yr old wiggas.