PDA

View Full Version : 250 Virago question

Bob
9th October 2004, 00:32
Really daft question - but I want to play safe.

The fuel tap lever has the word "Fuel" at one end and what looks like an arrow at the other.

I am right in saying that it is the 'arrow' that should point in the direction that you want, eg towards 'On', 'Reserve' or 'Prime', as opposed to the word 'Fuel', aren't I?

Just don't want to set it on reserve by accident.

All words of advice appreciated.

toads
9th October 2004, 09:50
yes that's right, the arrow should point towards the word fuel/or reserve, sometimes though the arrow point is opposite to where it should be, I've noticed some bikes have a different fuel tap set up. I leave mine on fuel all the time and never let the tank get too empty, when it's on reserve it plays up around corners, like the reserve level is too low or something, so I like to keep the tank as full as possible. You aren't being dense either, the fuel tap confused me for quite a while too.

Storm
9th October 2004, 10:08
The only dumb question is the one you dont ask
Thats about the only words of wisdom I have

Bob
9th October 2004, 21:56
Thanks for the help. It had obviously never been set to reserve before - for some reason when the dealer took it for the MOT (like the 6-monthly vehicle check you have there), the guy put it on reserve.

Result? 8 years of crap in the carb! I went to ride it home and quickly turned round and went back again as it was burping and sputtering all over the shop. So they cleaned the carb (which had swarf in it?) and it has been fine ever since.