18th September 2007, 20:40
this is the culprithttp://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x67/jim157/DSCF1845.jpg

canarlee
18th September 2007, 20:40
edit, didnt see the 2nd pic

ouch

Kiwifire72
18th September 2007, 20:42
As a proud member and Professional Fire Fighter for the NZ Fire Service my advice
Take this down to Dunedin Station and Ask to see one of the Fire Safety Officers as they would love to use these as a display item for Fire Safety promotions

Bren
18th September 2007, 20:46
When he said "I want a hot night in the bedroom" he was not expecting The Man Upstairs to take it literally!:rofl:

JimO
18th September 2007, 20:48
sound asleep at 1am and i roll over and feel heat, open my eyes and there is flames in front of me, i dive out of bed grab the pillow and run downstairs and throw it out on the front lawn. The electric blanket was switched on at the wall but off at the control. The two smoke detectors didnt go off until i was halfway back up the stairs to see what else was burning, luckily the bedding was fine but there were sparks spitting out of the wires, the room was quite smokey and the kids all slept through the alarms

Kiwifire72
18th September 2007, 20:55
I hate hate spouting the company line but think it time to maybe change your alarms to the Photo Electric ones much beter than the old Nuclear powered ones
and maybe fit some through out house
and most of all doing some fire drills with the kids they should know a bit about them and can help you as they do them at school if they of that age
if you want any more advise contact your local station and get them to come check your house out and talk to kids give them some stickers tattoos and kids stuff and most of all take them for a ride in truck

Kiwifire72
18th September 2007, 20:59
What watch you on mate? I assume a Sth Akl Stn?
Papatoetoe Green

Hitcher
18th September 2007, 21:18
Get yourself a girlfriend. Or try using lube next time.

peasea
18th September 2007, 21:24
Man, that's bloody lucky!

How old was that lecky blanky?

JimO
18th September 2007, 21:30
the blanket was around 6 years old and the kids are 15, 15, 12

Steam
18th September 2007, 21:37
Wow! I thought electric blankets fried in the fragile blanket part, not the tough cord bit. Hells bells!

Skyryder
18th September 2007, 22:04
Whatt was the brand and where was it made?? Don't use them myself. Still like the old fashioned water bottle either that or send the wife to bed first:niceone:

Skyryder

JimO
18th September 2007, 22:15
Whatt was the brand and where was it made?? Don't use them myself. Still like the old fashioned water bottle either that or send the wife to bed first:niceone:

Skyryder

ralta....good old NZ made<_<

Wolf
18th September 2007, 22:37
ralta....good old NZ made<_<
Hmmmm, "Rely on Ralta"

Not any more, I feel.

candor
20th September 2007, 22:28
Bloody hell. Years ago my feet were hot in my dream. Then I heard Mums voice. Shrill saying something about "bed burning". Woke up and end of bed on fire from electric blanket - just wee flames, so I kinda know the feeling. How did you become aware? Or was it the obvious - the alarm?

JimO
21st September 2007, 06:38
Bloody hell. Years ago my feet were hot in my dream. Then I heard Mums voice. Shrill saying something about "bed burning". Woke up and end of bed on fire from electric blanket - just wee flames, so I kinda know the feeling. How did you become aware? Or was it the obvious - the alarm?

bllardy smoke alarms didnt go off for ages i felt heat on my face and woke up

janno
21st September 2007, 06:53
Wow! Close call!!! Glad it wasn't fried Jimjim for breakfast.

I took my electric blankets to be checked by the fire brigade and electrician once - cos it was free.

I meant to do it every year, but never got around to it . . . don't have them any more.

NighthawkNZ
21st September 2007, 07:28
:eek: Ferk yous is a luckys sir... I had a similar experiences years ago... though the pillow didn't burst into flames... :blink:

I had the blanket on and just jumped in to bed... started to read a book and then I could hear some crackling sounds but couldn't work it out till I saw an arc and sheet slowly getting a tan... jump outta bed pulled the plug and said "Ah fuck..." sure enough if it had been any longer I reckon it would have burst it flames...

I make sure I turn them off now... only use them to warm the bed... still trying to train paula not to sleep with it on... but she is coming round now after seeing your picture... though I probably will still have to keep reminding her...

deanohit
21st September 2007, 07:32
I don't use them any more after seeing a house burning down caused by an electric blanket. I use a hot water bottle to just warm the bed then take it out, nothing like the lid coming out a 3am and filling your bed with cold water to wake you up quickly.

surfchick
21st September 2007, 08:14
sound asleep at 1am and i roll over and feel heat, open my eyes and there is flames in front of me, i dive out of bed grab the pillow and run downstairs and throw it out on the front lawn. The electric blanket was switched on at the wall but off at the control. The two smoke detectors didnt go off until i was halfway back up the stairs to see what else was burning, luckily the bedding was fine but there were sparks spitting out of the wires, the room was quite smokey and the kids all slept through the alarms

OMG i'd only just come round to using electric blankies...hmmm...mightn't bother! lucky you lot are all OK

Grub
21st September 2007, 08:40
1) Woken at 1am by the occupant of the flat adjoining ours to say we were on fire. She had turned the bed on and gone to the kitchen to make coffee. The bed ignited and the place went up. We were lucky that there was a concrete block wall separating the two flats.

2) My best man turned the bed on, got undressed, threw back the covers to be greeted by a big black smoking circle in his bed.

I won't have an electric blanket in a house I live in now ... I guess Jimjim won't either

vifferman
21st September 2007, 09:10
I don't use electric blankets any more - I just snuggle up to the hottie. SHe's always just the right temperature.

Macktheknife
21st September 2007, 09:38
Bloody lucky it was so close to your face mate, it could have been so much worse. So I am guessing you won't be having an electric blanket anymore huh?
I also suggest taking it to your nearest fire station, they always need stuff like this for educational purposes.
Glad you and yours are all okay, all the best.
Mack

Patrick
21st September 2007, 14:17
Bit of a worry the kids slept through the alarms though????

Useless if you can sleep through the racket...

avgas
21st September 2007, 14:29
I don't use and electric blanket - haven't for years now.
As safe as having 50w heated element in you sheets.