PDA

View Full Version : Walking sticks

Gareth123
19th September 2007, 12:58
Does anyone know where you can buy walking sticks with style in Christchurch?

I don't want a pimp cane or a shiny aluminium one with 4 feet either. Just a nice wooden one that has some class.(Though if I could get one with flames on...help me limp faster)

canarlee
19th September 2007, 13:11
look here >>>>> http://www.houseofcanes.com/ <<<<<

they custom make and will deliver.

tell them what you want and job done.

Nasty
19th September 2007, 13:24
My mum had one designed for her and then passed it onto me .. it needed to be fitted though and I went to the physio at the hospital to have this done. look for a local craft fair or woodturners they do this kinda work .. and its great having one designed just for you. It also depends on what you need it for as well ....

Remember some woods can't be imported so if an overseas company does the work make sure they do it in a wood you can bring in.

sunhuntin
19th September 2007, 14:07
the franklin mint occasionally has some, but they are really more decorative than for use.

try a shop that sells incense, candles. we have one called stardust creations... not sure what your equivalent might be.

Skyryder
19th September 2007, 14:46
Ballantynes have them. Not too sure if they have what you want. Depends on what you call style.

Do a google search. Some interesting one about.

Skyryder

Oakie
19th September 2007, 14:53
I have one that was my grandfather's. Made out of a piece of rosewood I think it was, so it's not smooth but more like a fairly straight branch off a tree with all the natural texture still intact. I'm looking forward to using it when I'm old(er).
I'm wondering if you might have luck finding something like that at the old collectables type shops ... sort of cross between second hand and antique shop.

Gareth123
19th September 2007, 15:45
Do you think I could get a knife stick made?

Flatcap
19th September 2007, 18:53
I bought an Irish Blackthorn Shillelagh from here

http://www.lollysmith.com/blst.html

Good for beating intruders and youths to a pulp, and if your assailant tries to grab it off you, the thorns rip their palms off...

sweetp
19th September 2007, 19:05
The Nurse Maude Shop in Merivale has a reasonable selection. While they are aimed at elderly people from memory they had some funkish ones (well when I was there a couple of years ago)

peasea
19th September 2007, 23:13
Does anyone know where you can buy walking sticks with style in Christchurch?

I don't want a pimp cane or a shiny aluminium one with 4 feet either. Just a nice wooden one that has some class.(Though if I could get one with flames on...help me limp faster)

Knock over a pirate and pinch his wooden leg.

Bullitt
19th September 2007, 23:48
Do you think I could get a knife stick made?

My parents used to have a gentlemans cane (more designed to be carried horizontal under your arm than as a walking stick) that had a spike the full length sheathed inside it. Old and collectable but still would be as deadly as hell.

Id imagine a modern equivalent would be illegal

Spuds1234
20th September 2007, 02:00
Why do you need a cane? Your only 21.

Although one with a knife in would be cool.

peasea
20th September 2007, 12:52

Or one with a gun in it, ala John Steed.

Now, how many of you are gonna say; who the f*** is John Steed?

Gareth123
20th September 2007, 16:15

Because everytime I stand up for more than an hour then sit down for half an hour my ankle stiffens up and I end up walking like a real gimp for the next hour until it loosens up again. Why would you post this? You could just ask me next time i'm at your place.

Knock over a pirate and pinch his wooden leg.

Yeah I'll stop by Lyttleton and have a look around...don't want one that looks too used though.

Spuds1234
20th September 2007, 23:45
Because everytime I stand up for more than an hour then sit down for half an hour my ankle stiffens up and I end up walking like a real gimp for the next hour until it loosens up again. Why would you post this? You could just ask me next time i'm at your place.

Probably for the same reason teenage girls text each other from across the room (know one knows), but that is a whole new thread in itself.

Gareth123
21st September 2007, 14:57
I bought an Irish Blackthorn Shillelagh from here

http://www.lollysmith.com/blst.html

Good for beating intruders and youths to a pulp, and if your assailant tries to grab it off you, the thorns rip their palms off...

Did you have any problems getting one of these into the country? They are cool!

Flatcap
21st September 2007, 16:00
Did you have any problems getting one of these into the country? They are cool!

No problems at all. They did open the pack to check though.

Good service from the site as well

Mind the thorns - they are as sharp as buggery

NordieBoy
21st September 2007, 16:55
Or one with a gun in it, ala John Steed.

Now, how many of you are gonna say; who the f*** is John Steed?

Who cares about Steed?
Mrs Peel :niceone:

Oakie
21st September 2007, 17:38
Of all places, 'Wild Things' at the Palms mall (the shop beside Woolworths) has a selection of 8 or 9 walking sticks that are styley and look quite nice. I was in there today and spied them in front of the counter. I only looked at the price of one ($20) so not too expensive and they do feel solid enough to actually be usable. They each have a nice handle at the top and different styling down the ... umm ... shaft?

peasea
21st September 2007, 18:32

Yeah I'll stop by Lyttleton and have a look around...don't want one that looks too used though.

Especially those used frequently by small dogs.