PDA

View Full Version : Invercargill - Bikers from the Deep South

McJim
19th September 2007, 14:05
I haven't found any way to sort the Members list by geography (doesn't help me with a lot of members putting "here" or "in a house" as where they live either!:bleh:) so I thought I'd start a thread to see who lives in the area we'll be moving too. Verbally accepted a role in Invercargill this afternoon. Will arrive sometime early-mid October. Won't have the bike immediately so can't go for runs in the countryside quite yet but would be interested to know who's there for future ref.

Cheers in advance.

McJim & Whanau

MSTRS
19th September 2007, 14:18
Click on Members List...then on the right side, there is another Search Members box...go to Advanced Search...then you can enter all the search parameters you want.

Scouse
19th September 2007, 14:23
Thats interesting Jamie did you know that Mick Jager called Invercargill the arsehole of the earth.
Me I prefer to call it inbredretardville.

sunhuntin
19th September 2007, 14:24
dont live there, but will be down in november for the burt munro challenge! be prepared to be inundated with requests from members to borrow your floor and garage. :bleh:

p/t

NighthawkNZ
19th September 2007, 14:24
Click on Members List...then on the right side, there is another Search Members box...go to Advanced Search...then you can enter all the search parameters you want.

means you will be able to do the KB rally in december... :D and th e burt munroe or the magpie madness or both and and and... oh BTW that means you will be living on the mailland not that other island... but the good news is that you won't be on the same island as parilment when it gets nuked...

skelstar
19th September 2007, 14:29
inbreadretardville.
Bet they can spell inbred though. Still, pretty hard to type with 6 fingers on one hand eh?

Daffyd
19th September 2007, 14:43
Thats intersetsing Jamie did you know that Mick Jager called Invercargill the arsehole of the earth.
Me I prefer to call it inbreadretardville.

He only called it that 'cos he got chucked out for trashing the hotel.
Couldn't understand why everyone wouldn't make a big fuss of him.
If he'd wanted to see an arsehole he only had to look in a mirror!

McJim
19th September 2007, 15:07
I like the place. Reminds me of my childhood for some odd reason. Something to do with the temperature, the clean air and the quality of the light takes me back to when I was about 4 years old.

All the Southlanders I've met have been great too.

skelstar
19th September 2007, 15:11
Be sure to let us know when you passing through Welly and if ya can stop for a beer.

Rashika
19th September 2007, 15:35
my auntie is in the far south, and is even a kber but is a quiet thing (ROFL... yeah right) and has YET to post... Clairsky is her name

NighthawkNZ
19th September 2007, 15:37
my auntie is in the far south, and is even a kber but is a quiet thing (ROFL... yeah right) and has YET to post... Clairsky is her name

was that the drunken one at the PP... :lol: oh wait...

Grub
19th September 2007, 16:10
(doesn't help me with a lot of members putting "here" or "in a house" as where they live either!:bleh:)

That's one of my pet KB hates. Be great if we had a drop-down list of towns. Hmmm, I might be able to dredge one of those up and see if SpankMe wants it as a lookup table

scumdog
19th September 2007, 18:02
You know where I live don't you??

You don't??

Whew, close escape!!!!:whistle::sweatdrop

mbazza
19th September 2007, 19:12
What Scumdog said!
Looking at the diary I figure with family, work and business I'll be in Invervegas between now and Christmas for at least 14 days. Does that make me inbred? Cheers:niceone:

Daffyd
19th September 2007, 19:44
Actually, Bluff is the arsehole of the country - and Invercargill is 30 km up it!

NighthawkNZ
19th September 2007, 19:45
Actually, Bluff is the arsehole of the country - and Invercargill is 30 km up it!

:lol: thats funny

oldrider
19th September 2007, 20:04

Jeeze Daffyd, what happened to that friendly nice Southern man I met at the Penguin last week end?

If anyone wants know the value of an arsehole, try gluing your own up for a week or two!

Problem solved, arseholes rule, no doubt about it! :headbang: (It takes one to know one) :lol: Cheers John.

Daffyd
19th September 2007, 20:13
Just a tad sensitive about my old home town. :Oi:

oldrider
19th September 2007, 20:15
Thats intersetsing Jamie did you know that Mick Jager called Invercargill the arsehole of the earth.

Love your new avatar, camel toes are my "passion"! :rolleyes:

Looks like you have been creatively active in photo shop! Well done that man! :spanking: coming up? :lol: Cheers John.

JimO
19th September 2007, 21:04

This from someone in auckland :clap: hows the traffic jam going today

idb
20th September 2007, 08:04

It must be a strain as an Aucklander to have to remember to add vowels when you type...and you didn't get all of your spelling mistakes when you editted!!!!

sels1
20th September 2007, 08:16
Invergiggle is a nice town, I go there quite often for work. The climate can be a bit embracing at times....a native of Scotland will feel right at home there McJim!

skelstar
20th September 2007, 09:04
It must be a strain as an Aucklander to have to remember to add vowels when you type...and you didn't get all of your spelling mistakes when you editted!!!!

It's intersetsing you should say that idb LOL

Clairsky
22nd September 2007, 22:26
Ok Rashka, here we go. To McJim, you'll be more than welcome down in the friendly south. Can I suggest to you joining the Southern Safari which will take you to all four corners of Southland, a fantastic way to see what we have on offer down here.
NighthawkNZ - One of many that night I believe, not sure how you noticed really!
Scumdog - I've got an idea where you live, so keep out of trouble!
OK niece, I think that covers it for now. Big Bros turn eh.

Chickadee
22nd September 2007, 22:38
Hey no bashing invervegas unless you've been there. Place is awesome dudes, you don't know what you're missing. Thanks to all those that said nice things.

Looking forward to settling in soon
Chickadee & McJim

Ocean1
22nd September 2007, 23:14
I grew up in Invercarrrgil. That is to say I lived there during those years when most people are said to be growing up. I used to stop on the way home from school to annoy this old dude in a shed, playing with an old indian. My old man used to bring him things, like a broken catapillar half shaft, to make conrods...

Anyway, if you're a typical Scott you'll get on well with the typical southlander. Say hi to my old town for me eh? haven't been back for way too long. And good luck dude, let's know how it goes eh?

Rashika
23rd September 2007, 08:39
Ok Rashka, here we go. To McJim, you'll be more than welcome down in the friendly south. Can I suggest to you joining the Southern Safari which will take you to all four corners of Southland, a fantastic way to see what we have on offer down here.
NighthawkNZ - One of many that night I believe, not sure how you noticed really!
Scumdog - I've got an idea where you live, so keep out of trouble!
OK niece, I think that covers it for now. Big Bros turn eh.
see now THAT wasn't so scary was it auntie? :2thumbsup
The southern safari sounds like a great idea for you southern lot. Love to do it but already used up my quota of southland visits this year.

I grew up in Invercarrrgil. That is to say I lived there during those years when most people are said to be growing up. I used to stop on the way home from school to annoy this old dude in a shed, playing with an old indian. My old man used to bring him things, like a broken catapillar half shaft, to make conrods...

Anyway, if you're a typical Scott you'll get on well with the typical southlander. Say hi to my old town for me eh? haven't been back for way too long. And good luck dude, let's know how it goes eh?
ha! at least you have the spelling of Invercarrrgill right :whistle:

Bass
23rd September 2007, 17:45

Snap!!!
With similar connections to Burt as well.
Grew up at the other end of town tho' - Grace St.
I second everything else you said.
Still have family there and try to visit at least once per year.
There were about 150 houses in the street where we lived and we knew everyone in that street by name - everyone!!!!
It's still a bit like that even now. People actually seem to care about each other still, down there. I don't even know my next door neighbour's name in Aucks.
I reckon the McJims could have picked much worse places to live.
Now, the weather............Bugger
Can't have everything I guess.

Jantar
23rd September 2007, 17:53
.... I used to stop on the way home from school to annoy this old dude in a shed, playing with an old indian....
Yeah, I met that old geezer a couple of times at a few of the drags. The worst part is that in the documentary on that old guy, I recognised myself in a clip at the 1/4 mile in Galloway. That aged me rather suddenly. :eek:

Ocean1
23rd September 2007, 21:02
Snap!!!
With similar connections to Burt as well.
Grew up at the other end of town tho' - Grace St.

Cousin Donald??!!! You owe me six marbles and a gobstopper!!

Grace st... South end? I lived on West Plains rd, went to Waikiwi primary, Rosedale int. Used to ride through Thompson's bush to get there.

Yeah, I met that old geezer a couple of times at a few of the drags. The worst part is that in the documentary on that old guy, I recognised myself in a clip at the 1/4 mile in Galloway. That aged me rather suddenly. :eek:

Fuck dude, you're OLD.
That half shaft... he cut a 1" slab from the middle of it, (with a hacksaw ffs). Draw filed it flat, marked out and cut two rods, drilled & bored both ends on an old piece of crap flatbelt drill press. Then he scraped out the beam sections and polished the lot. The impressive thing wasn't so much the huge number of hours in the job, it was the perfection with which he'd finished it. There wasn't a wasted stroke anywhere, they were perfect where they needed to be and just good enough to do the job everywhere else.

Bass
24th September 2007, 09:23
In the words of Richard Prebble (God help us all), I've been thinking and I have a plan.

I seem to recall, (although my memory is untrustworthy and so I may be in error), that McJim is a closet muso. Never mind - we all have things in our past that we prefer not to advertise. However, since the McJims are soon to move to the mainland, there may be a significant opportunity here.

Although it is largely forgotten nowadays, Invercargill is one of the few cities (and yes, it is technically a city), that has its own song - in this case, the "Invercargill March". A thoroughly stirring and old fashioned piece of music it is too!
Now for a small fee, I could procure a score of the said ditty and forward same to McJim.
If before emigration, he were to learn the song, then accompanied as it would be by an obvious and proven Scots lineage, were he to stand against mayor Tim at the next local body elections, I believe he would be a shoo-in.

I do understand that many of you know, like me, that Invercargill has for years shown great maturity and wisdom in retaining a second rate comedian as mayor and so epitomising the true worth of politicians of any colour. However in my opinion, the joke has grown stale and it is time for a change. Moreover, I see only good things stemming from accelerating the trend towards motorcycling mayors. I actually think it should be a prerequisite for the office.

So, to the strains of an always obscure and long forgotten march, McJim for Mayor!!

To conclude, I read ealier in this thread an allusion that I am inbred and retarded. Although this was ably defended at the time and the gent concerned fell at the spelling hurdle - thus introducing a pot/kettle question - I thought I would comment anyway. So : -

Inbred - Well I did infer in one of my earlier posts that the winters are long and cold in the deep south. Moreover, Invergiggle is not as awash with public amenities or organised entertainment as some of the larger and more northerly centres. So, what's a man to do with the long cold evenings?

Retarded - I presume that we are discussing mental capacity and not ignition timing here, because in my case, either could apply.
As to its application to me, I think that my wife might agree. My ex-wife would certainly agree and the existence of the two of them would in some quarters be regarded as hard evidence. However for reasons forever beyond my ken, Mensa thinks otherwise. But then what does a dickhead organisation like that know anyway?

idb
24th September 2007, 09:37
....... I see only good things stemming from accelerating the trend towards motorcycling mayors. I actually think it should be a prerequisite for the office.........
Maybe Invercargill should raid the same (or at least neighbouring) cupboard as last time and invite John Banks down?

Bass
24th September 2007, 10:09
Maybe Invercargill should raid the same (or at least neighbouring) cupboard as last time and invite John Banks down?

I considered that but decided that no-one really deserved it, no matter what they might have done