PDA

View Full Version : 10 things I have learned in the past 5 days.

Gubb
19th September 2007, 17:55
I know that i'm a newbie, and I tossed up with putting this in the newbie thread, but I decided otherwise.

Completely new into the world of two wheels, I completed the Basic Handling Skills Test 2 weeks ago with Andrew at RoadSafe. Sensational guy, and taught me everything that I currently know about Motorbikes, which starting from nothing, is a huge improvement.

I purchased my baby (GT250R) on Saturday, and have been on a steep, and fun learning curve ever since. The guys at TSS in Lower Hutt were phenomenally helpful, and their advice was well and truly above what I recieved at the other 4 stores that I visited, and numerous people that I spoke to. Spent heaps on gear, because the last thing that I want to be thinking after I crash is "I wish I spent more money on decent gear".

Anywho, the things that I have learned on the past 5 days:
1. Leaning in the corners is not the scariest thing in the world, but one of the most exciting.
2. Practicing every day is the only way to improve.
3. I get some cool looks from the ladies. (Albeit, non-biker chicks that can't recognize a 250!)
4. Always have a positive throttle.
5. Lane-splitting is fantastic fun, almost enough to make me go back to a traffic pile up, and do it all over again to laugh at the look on peoples faces as I cruise past.
6. Tailgating drivers in cars are complete wankers.
7. The motorcycle community is amazingly supportive, any questions that I may have, or problems, there are always a big group of people that will offer to help you, as they all seem to remember what it was like to be a learner.
8. Most Harley riders only wave to other Harley riders, and nobody waves to scooters.
9. My friends think I am riding a two-wheeled death machine. they'll eventually come around.
10. This is the best decision I have made in a very long time, and I hope that I will be enjoying it for a very long time.

As you may have guessed, I am now a complete convert, and will never look back. Who needs those 2 extra wheels anyway.

Stay safe, and keep your heads up.

The Lone Rider
19th September 2007, 18:08
1. Sometimes
2. Or just riding
3. You should see the amount of sex you get when you own a cruiser then
4. Ok
5. You will save time lane splitting, until someone swerves infront of you and you hit the car
6. Take your L plate off if you have one, and/or get a cruiser. Both can help avoid that.
7. Yeap
8. Ride a cruiser, or try not wiping past cruisers and give some respect and they might. Haven't had any problems myself when I've road up to one and road along along with them. Even moved over so I can tally up. I only wave to scooters if they wave to me.. most scooter riders are on them for commuting only, not for the absolute love of two wheels.
9. Yeah, fun isnt it. Must take about a year off your life.
10. Don't you just wish you had one earlier now :P

Extra 2 wheels still handy.

Always safe, I ride a cruiser 99% of the time so my head is always up.

Time to hit some rallies now man! Now THERE is fun!

:D

thehovel
19th September 2007, 18:13
:Oi:Be careful filtering (lane-splitting) to start only filter below 30km because the cages stay in their own lane or the lane change is slow. As the traffic slows this is when most quick lane changes happen without warning!!!! While you are learning to ride you still have to think every move this takes time. Later when you have been riding for a few years,riding will take less brain function and you can see which cage has a dick-head in it. After 5-6 year filtering can be done at A MAX of 60km!!!!!:Playnice:

Oakie
19th September 2007, 18:13
5. Lane-splitting is fantastic fun, almost enough to make me go back to a traffic pile up, and do it all over again to laugh at the look on peoples faces as I cruise past.

Ahh Grasshopper. It's all fun until someone decides to give the cheeky motor-bicyclist a lesson and turn in ... just a little bit. Those looks on their faces you mentioned ... sometimes they translate into unexpected actions on the road.

9. My friends think I am riding a two-wheeled death machine. they'll eventually come around.

Ha ha! Exactly the words my eldest daughter used to describe my bike .... until I took her out on it. She reckons it's pretty cool now.

Glad you're enjoying being on two wheels. Just take it easy huh. There's lots of lessons to learn out there and those damned 4 wheeled vehicle drivers just never stop trying to hurt you.

The Lone Rider
19th September 2007, 18:16
Ha ha! Exactly the words my eldest daughter used to describe my bike .... until I took her out on it. She reckons it's pretty cool now.

How old would your eldest be?
18- 20 something? :whistle:

skelstar
19th September 2007, 18:20
Good stuff bro!

Gubb
19th September 2007, 18:33
Heh, cheers for the extra advice.

For the record, I was going about 15Kmh for #5 and extremely careful, nothing outrageous.

fireliv
19th September 2007, 18:33
THats great that ure enjoying it. Andrew is awesome, I learnt with him too.

The guys at TSS definatly are awesome and will help you out!

Enjoy riding and stay safe

RantyDave
19th September 2007, 19:47
My friends think I am riding a two-wheeled death machine.
If you don't quit looking for reactions from the ladeeeezzz they'll be fucking right. CONCENTRATE!!!!

Oh, yeah, nice one! Bikes are the shit, eh?

Dave

Wiki Drifter
19th September 2007, 20:03
3. I get some cool looks from the ladies. (Albeit, non-biker chicks that can't recognize a 250!)

Turn your bike-dar on and you'll notice other bikers will look at you and vise versa as well. :p

Oakie
19th September 2007, 21:29
How old would your eldest be?
18- 20 something? :whistle:

24 in a couple of days infact. Sorry. She has a boyfriend ... and a baby.

HTFU
19th September 2007, 21:54
Add don't grab too much front brake when trying to correct a corner entry mistake to your list of things to learn.

On about my 5th week riding some back roads I came up a bit quick on a corner, did a big lean to help go around, but corner was covered in loose gravel. So with the back wheel sliding out, I must of grabbed the front brake as I was cornering. Anyway the back wheel stepping out soon became the least of my worries.

Anyway nice to hear you are loving the riding. Pretty cool first bike too.

Drum
19th September 2007, 22:02
Good on ya HG. Welcome to riding, and welcome to the site.

breakaway
19th September 2007, 22:17
I can relate to #9.

Grub
19th September 2007, 23:07

... dangerous wankers they are too.

There is two strategies to use for tailgaters ...
1. You have to increase your following distance to 4secs from the guy in front because if he panic stops and you only have a 2sec gap, you're going to have to break hard and the wanker behind isn't going to be able to stop from punting you.

2. The other is a doosey. They get closer and closer because they are looking past you and not really seeing you, they're maintaining a following distance on the vehicle in front of you! Using your mirrors, adjust your position in the lane so that your body is directly in the drivers line of sight. They'll move so that they can see. You subtly move into their line of sight again so they can't see past you. If you have to do it a fourth time, that would be rare because you suddenly realise they've dropped back!

Works every time.

-df-
20th September 2007, 08:33

Just watch out for the wankers that open the drivers door directly in front of you so you can't go past...only happened once...but once was enough :mad:

Griff
20th September 2007, 08:44
I5. Lane-splitting is fantastic fun, almost enough to make me go back to a traffic pile up, and do it all over again to laugh at the look on peoples faces as I cruise past.

YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!

Lane splitting is better than a day out in a Theme Park!

Griff
20th September 2007, 08:50

Ha ha ha ha ha ha:clap: Ha ha ha... Brilliant! :rofl:

Are you Baron Von-Munchhausen?

LilSel
20th September 2007, 08:52
Glad to hear the new bikes going well for ya :D Enjoy & ride safe :niceone:

EJT
20th September 2007, 08:56
Spent heaps on gear, because the last thing that I want to be thinking after I crash is "I wish I spent more money on decent gear".

7. The motorcycle community is amazingly supportive, any questions that I may have, or problems, there are always a big group of people that will offer to help you, as they all seem to remember what it was like to be a learner.

Good on ya! You seem to have the right attitude and seem to be keen on improving (as we all are). Agreed on the gear. It will also last for ages, so it is money well spent.

I was a bit reluctant to lane-split at first, but do it everyday on the motorway now. As others have said, be careful, but I'm sure you are. One of the things I do when splitting on the motorway is have my lights on full beam. Others might disagree, but I reckon it is better to be seen. Oh, and I try to wave to cars that make an effort to pull out of the way. Better to be nice to them so they do it for others!

Boob Johnson
20th September 2007, 09:09
2. The other is a doosey. They get closer and closer because they are looking past you and not really seeing you, they're maintaining a following distance on the vehicle in front of you! Using your mirrors, adjust your position in the lane so that your body is directly in the drivers line of sight. They'll move so that they can see. You subtly move into their line of sight again so they can't see past you. If you have to do it a fourth time, that would be rare because you suddenly realise they've dropped back!

Works every time.That sure is a doosey!! Ha, nice one mate :niceone:

Angusdog
20th September 2007, 09:22
Tailgating: tap your back brake to flash your stop light; if that doesn't work, get out of their way - it's not an argument you want to lose.

Don't get wound up by other people on the road, just maintain a safe attitude. You will quickly develop a sixth sense (actually it's a tenth sense) for the movement of other vehicles on the road, and anticipate just by their placement on the road, their car etc as to what they're going to do. Keep an eye out for "escape routes", like if that car jams on it's brakes to pull into a park, where are you going to go? Plan ahead, so when the 'unexpected' arises, you're already reacting.

And relax - being too tense is as bad as not paying attention.

Tank
20th September 2007, 09:56
Adding to the list of things learnt by a newbie. I was at the Auckland Wednesday night training last night (Thanks to all who give their time for this).

Anyway - we were doing U-Turn training and I was struggling. Kneee goes out wobbles, foot down. In short - Crap!

Anyway I was taught where to look (i.e. where you are going to end up) and how to use clutch to control speed - and volia! U-Turns are a breeze. I took the long way home after to cover some corners that had been causing me grief - the different was amaizing.

Learning everyday. Personally I'm passing on the lane splitting - there seems to be many more basics I need to learn before I put my self in a position where I need some skills that I dont have yet.

marioc
20th September 2007, 10:30
On the way in to work this morning I opened the throttle wide open mid corner on the white line,shit I thought those things were only slippery in the wet! .Not so it would seem got a bit out of shape. :woohoo:

PirateJafa
20th September 2007, 11:36
The biggest thing I have found is to appear confident.

If you don't appear confident, it's like blood in the water... the cagers can smell it from a mile off, and they will home straight in on you. But if you appear confident (even if you aren't), usually they settle down and play nice(ish). :)

avgas
20th September 2007, 11:43
nobody waves to scooters.
Not completely, every now and then if i see a respectful Mod (usually on a vespa - with extras) i will give a respectful rocker head nod and get one in return.
We are no longer at war, just like North and South Korea. Respective nods are allowed in the DMZ.

The Lone Rider
20th September 2007, 15:26
Ha ha ha ha ha ha:clap: Ha ha ha... Brilliant! :rofl:

Are you Baron Von-Munchhausen?

Which bit about him are you referring to? Him riding canonballs, or him getting divorced.

You should see the photo collection of these girlies I've met through biking. Yummmaaay

:bleh:

captain_andrey
21st September 2007, 11:16
Welcome mate.
Whereabouts do you ride? I have a yellow GT250R and I saw a few black ones so maybe i've seen yours too.
I ride from town to the hutt every day and back in the evening. Maybe i'll see you around.

PuppetMaster
21st September 2007, 11:25
filtering can be done at A MAX of 60

I dont like to brag, but i went 62 the other day. Ive broken the "max".

vifferman
21st September 2007, 12:58
There is two strategies to use for tailgaters ...
There's at least three (3).
I used to get tailgated over the Harbour Bridge not infrequently, and found that slowing down and l turning around to look back at them always worked. Sometimes I embellished this with a "get back" waving motion with my hand. The "staring technique" is especially effective if you've got a dark visor, as there's the 'menace factor' of not being able to see who's behind it. Yeah, it's potentially hazardous turning around for a few seconds, but the "slowing down" bit ensures there's a gap in front anyway.

Gubb
22nd September 2007, 19:00
Welcome mate.
Whereabouts do you ride? I have a yellow GT250R and I saw a few black ones so maybe i've seen yours too.
I ride from town to the hutt every day and back in the evening. Maybe i'll see you around.

I'm in Karori, but out in the Hutt quite often. Possibly see you at a newbie ride at some stage.

puddy
22nd September 2007, 19:45
Learning is always the best time. A thrill a minute (relatively speaking)......it's cool. Good luck. And take care. But above all, ENJOY!

Insanity_rules
22nd September 2007, 21:01
I know that i'm a newbie, and I tossed up with putting this in the newbie thread, but I decided otherwise.

Completely new into the world of two wheels, I completed the Basic Handling Skills Test 2 weeks ago with Andrew at RoadSafe. Sensational guy, and taught me everything that I currently know about Motorbikes, which starting from nothing, is a huge improvement.

I purchased my baby (GT250R) on Saturday, and have been on a steep, and fun learning curve ever since. The guys at TSS in Lower Hutt were phenomenally helpful, and their advice was well and truly above what I recieved at the other 4 stores that I visited, and numerous people that I spoke to. Spent heaps on gear, because the last thing that I want to be thinking after I crash is "I wish I spent more money on decent gear".

Anywho, the things that I have learned on the past 5 days:
1. Leaning in the corners is not the scariest thing in the world, but one of the most exciting.
4. Always have a positive throttle.
8. Most Harley riders only wave to other Harley riders, and nobody waves to scooters.
10. This is the best decision I have made in a very long time, and I hope that I will be enjoying it for a very long time.

As you may have guessed, I am now a complete convert, and will never look back. Who needs those 2 extra wheels anyway.

Stay safe, and keep your heads up.

Hee hee I remember feeling exactly the same way and it brings back fond memories. TSS is an awesome shop, they never look down on my cheap ass 250 when I want to spend money on it and they give good advice.

Welcome to the family and I hope your stay is long and fun.

carver
22nd September 2007, 21:08
ah, but you missed the fact that cruisers are very

GAY!

1. Sometimes
2. Or just riding
4. Ok
5. You will save time lane splitting, until someone swerves infront of you and you hit the car
6. Take your L plate off if you have one, and/or get a cruiser. Both can help avoid that.
7. Yeap
8. Ride a cruiser, or try not wiping past cruisers and give some respect and they might. Haven't had any problems myself when I've road up to one and road along along with them. Even moved over so I can tally up. I only wave to scooters if they wave to me.. most scooter riders are on them for commuting only, not for the absolute love of two wheels.
9. Yeah, fun isnt it. Must take about a year off your life.
10. Don't you just wish you had one earlier now :P

Extra 2 wheels still handy.

Always safe, I ride a cruiser 99% of the time so my head is always up.

Time to hit some rallies now man! Now THERE is fun!

:D