PDA

View Full Version : Got my peg down for first time

howdamnhard
20th September 2007, 01:44
It was a nice sunny day and my first day off.I hadn'nt ridden for a while and wanted to check the bike over and get some practice in before I started commuting to work again.After checking the bike over I headed off to the countryside (Clevedon) and up Twilight Rd.Instead of trying to ride fast I just relaxed and decided to enjoy myself.So I was pleasantly surprised when I actually Got my right peg down and found myself going quicker than I can remember.:gob:.Felt the peg rub and thought alright thats a first.
Altogether a thoroughly enjoyable ride out in the sun.Lesson learned:don't try force it,just ride for the sheer enjoyment of it!;)

Romeo
20th September 2007, 02:13
Try this on your GN next time, atleast now you know it's possible ;P.
DtPggxYCT0U
Wait for it, it's a bit long.

Drum
20th September 2007, 05:19
.....Lesson learned:don't try force it,just ride for the sheer enjoyment of it!;)

Ahhh you have discovered the secret, grasshopper.

ZeroIndex
20th September 2007, 06:47
Try this on your GN next time, atleast now you know it's possible ;P.
DtPggxYCT0U
Wait for it, it's a bit long.
Knee down doesn't mean you're gonna corner any faster, and it doesn't make you a better rider

deanohit
20th September 2007, 07:10
Hey, nice one HDH,:cool: great when you relax and all of a sudden relise your actually going pretty fast aye. :niceone:

You can also do this on a GN, thought it was pretty funny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__eyBk-H1cE&mode=related&search=

Dodger
20th September 2007, 11:18
You can also do this on a GN, thought it was pretty funny.
__eyBk-H1cE

BuckBuckNo1 (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=715484&highlight=uni#post715484) did that on his GN once :)

McDuck
20th September 2007, 11:26
pissing myself at the gn falling over backwards...

LilSel
20th September 2007, 11:43
Fireball & I got peg down on my bike last night... I was a little like 'oh... oook... that was me peg...' was actually trying NOT to keep touching down on the way home!!

fireball
20th September 2007, 11:48
Fireball & I got peg down on my bike last night... I was a little like 'oh... oook... that was me peg...' was actually trying NOT to keep touching down on the way home!!

im still trying to work that one out as we werent that far over, it was just a nice smooth turn scrape oh hello peg on the ground

LilSel
20th September 2007, 11:54
im still trying to work that one out as we werent that far over, it was just a nice smooth turn scrape oh hello peg on the ground

Yeah I know... It def touched down tho... I felt/heard it... I thought the corner beforehand we were over further than that... (left hand turn into the st mine is off...) but then the righthand turn into my street... scrape scrape... maybe cuz bike more tourer than sport?... *shrugs*...

any inputs on ZZR anyone?? peg down easy?? low pegs etc? *shrugs*

bert_is_evil
20th September 2007, 12:08
Knee down doesn't mean you're gonna corner any faster, and it doesn't make you a better rider

True, however it does allow you to corner at the same speed with less lean angle, and therefore corner faster without reaching maximum lean angle.

phoenixgtr
20th September 2007, 12:30

Were you 2 up? The extra weight would drop the bike bringing the peg closer to the road. ZZRs have reasonably low pegs anyway.

When you scrape a peg on the FXR I'll be impressed. It's not impossible either...I've done it

LilSel
20th September 2007, 12:42
Were you 2 up? The extra weight would drop the bike bringing the peg closer to the road. ZZRs have reasonably low pegs anyway.

When you scrape a peg on the FXR I'll be impressed. It's not impossible either...I've done it

yeah we were 2 up... I thought prob cuz low pegged & with the extra weight... (not that FB is much 'weight' lol!)...

FXR.... hehehe... *wants to try scrape peg now!!*... I felt like I was riding a broomstick on it tho... I is too big for the fxr I think lol!!

Dodger
20th September 2007, 12:50
I haven't scraped a peg on my naked Hyosung yet, although I have scraped the side stand and now that I've fitted a centre stand I keep scraping that. :rolleyes:

fireball
20th September 2007, 13:24
yeah we were 2 up... I thought prob cuz low pegged & with the extra weight... (not that FB is much 'weight' lol!)...

FXR.... hehehe... *wants to try scrape peg now!!*... I felt like I was riding a broomstick on it tho... I is too big for the fxr I think lol!!

you can be on the back.... once its all put back together we can try get the peg down the bike is munted anyway wont matter if we fall off!

LilSel
20th September 2007, 13:26
you can be on the back.... once its all put back together we can try get the peg down the bike is munted anyway wont matter if we fall off!

LOL... oh :pinch:... sounds like a plan :whistle:... are you sure it'll move with us both on it??... lol... Low riding fxr :laugh:

The Lone Rider
20th September 2007, 16:22
I've taken corners on my larger then GN cruiser and taken off some of my peg and boot. You can do the turns really low, you just take part of the bike with it.

FROSTY
21st September 2007, 08:15
I've taken corners on my larger then GN cruiser and taken off some of my peg and boot. You can do the turns really low, you just take part of the bike with it.
Be honest dude you take a LOT of your bike with you
boot peg then hanger bracket then stand hanger bracket--all that at 10 degrees of lean.
Before ya think I'm dissing ya-I owned in the past a Yamaha venture royalle with running boards.--That would grind the boards if you even THOUGHT of leaning.

Dodger
21st September 2007, 09:23
Mate of mine has a Suzuki 650 Freewind.

One of the hard plastic panniers has a few inches of edge ground off it, due to an "oh shit" corner that he managed not to loose it on. :crazy:

clint640
21st September 2007, 10:29
Y' have to be a little bit careful about grinding stuff, too much weight on peg = not enough weight on tyres & hello Mr lowside... DAMHIK

Ya dont have to try & get a knee down, but making an effort to shift a bit of weight to the inside & keep the bike a little more upright is proably a good idea.

Cheers
Clint

surfchick
21st September 2007, 11:42
Yeah I know... It def touched down tho... I felt/heard it... I thought the corner beforehand we were over further than that... (left hand turn into the st mine is off...) but then the righthand turn into my street... scrape scrape... maybe cuz bike more tourer than sport?... *shrugs*...

any inputs on ZZR anyone?? peg down easy?? low pegs etc? *shrugs*

you riding two-up? hmm maybe the frame was closer to the ground :devil2::devil2::devil2:

LilSel
21st September 2007, 11:45
you riding two-up? hmm maybe the frame was closer to the ground :devil2::devil2::devil2:

Yeah were two-up... mebe it was the frame? I really have no idea... lol...

The Lone Rider
21st September 2007, 15:14
Be honest dude you take a LOT of your bike with you
boot peg then hanger bracket then stand hanger bracket--all that at 10 degrees of lean.
Before ya think I'm dissing ya-I owned in the past a Yamaha venture royalle with running boards.--That would grind the boards if you even THOUGHT of leaning.

Dont get a cruiser with floorboards then. I'm pretty sure I've gotten more then 10 degrees lean, looks that way to me.

http://www.geocities.com/chromedknuckles/videos_Aug112007.html

howdamnhard
21st September 2007, 21:48
Yeh it was abit like that with myself,took me by surprise.Although I didn't try to either avoid it or do it afterwards .:sweatdrop

HTFU
21st September 2007, 23:56
It was a nice sunny day and my first day off.I hadn'nt ridden for a while and wanted to check the bike over and get some practice in before I started commuting to work again.After checking the bike over I headed off to the countryside (Clevedon) and up Twilight Rd.Instead of trying to ride fast I just relaxed and decided to enjoy myself.So I was pleasantly surprised when I actually Got my right peg down and found myself going quicker than I can remember.:gob:.Felt the peg rub and thought alright thats a first.
Altogether a thoroughly enjoyable ride out in the sun.Lesson learned:don't try force it,just ride for the sheer enjoyment of it!;)

Sure is fun, just be careful, Ninja250 website has a good article on the peg scraping etc. I was a peg scraping addict until I ran into some issues with grip. :(

mogiman
26th September 2007, 10:19
Till you have something with a center stand and you get that on the ground thats real heart pounding excitement and stack lol if you ride a gb watch out for this one

mogiman
26th September 2007, 10:25
I haven't scraped a peg on my naked Hyosung yet, although I have scraped the side stand and now that I've fitted a centre stand I keep scraping that. :rolleyes:

of the center stand blood dangerous things wiped out a gb 250 and a cb125 few years back actually many many moons ago because of the center-stands hitting the ground and the rear wheel parting with the tarmac and it will happen so fast you wont know what hit you

MotoGirl
26th September 2007, 11:02
Dont get a cruiser with floorboards then.

I used to scrape the crap out of the running boards on dad's VN1500 Vulcan and the footpegs on my sister's Meanstreak (c'mon, around roundabouts?). These bikes got huge wobbles, which isn't nice on something that's 300kg!

It used to make me nervous even on my VTR because I didn't like my boots scraping the road.

deanohit
26th September 2007, 12:31
I didn't like my boots scraping the road.
Funny that, I feel the same way! Not a good feeling on a trail bike with knobblies. :shit:

ZeroIndex
26th September 2007, 14:02
of the center stand blood dangerous things wiped out a gb 250 and a cb125 few years back actually many many moons ago because of the center-stands hitting the ground and the rear wheel parting with the tarmac and it will happen so fast you wont know what hit you

and on Kawasaki GPX250's it's the exact opposite: Get rid of the side-stand and keep the centerstand... your pegs don't even scrape and the side-stand is trying to attach it to the apex of a corner... scary stuff...
**thinks back in time to a Taupo rider training day**