PDA

View Full Version : Summer work, Hawke's Bay?

Hanne
20th September 2007, 22:02
Stephen and I are currently planning a trip around the Hawkes Bay area for this summer and are interested in doing some seasonal work eg. fruit picking

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding either neat places to visit in the area or where we should go to start looking for such work? Any help/ comments would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Hanne

Zukin
20th September 2007, 22:07
You will have absolutely no problems finding work here in Summer, pretty much where and who you want to work for in the height of the summer

Some actually have caravans to accommodate you :)

I will have a poke around for you if you like

Cheers Scott

Conquiztador
20th September 2007, 23:39
Stephen and I are currently planning a trip around the Hawkes Bay area for this summer and are interested in doing some seasonal work eg. fruit picking

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding either neat places to visit in the area or where we should go to start looking for such work? Any help/ comments would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Hanne

Once you are here you will find the work. Shortage of workers here. No need to do any planning. Pack the bag, come here and in less then a day you should have a job.

Squiggles
21st September 2007, 23:46
I will have a poke around for you if you like

Yes please :niceone:

Coldrider
22nd September 2007, 00:35
Don't be naive about who you work for, not everyone (contractor) is nice, if you know what I mean.

Hanne
26th September 2007, 18:11
Cheers for the feedback, guys...
I already ahve a packrack fitted and ready for our bags as soon as exams are over.
Counting down the month(s)!

P38
1st October 2007, 21:15
Hanne
Lots of Packhouse/Picking jobs after Christmas.
Some stonefruit Picking/Packing before Christmas too

Heinz Wattie will take on several hundred workers starting about November, they go a bit quite over christmas then gear up again about February for a couple of months. It's all Factory/Shift work some dirving (Forlifts/Trucks etc) pays good too.

Lots of good riding roads to explore too.

P38 reccomends
Napier to Wairoa and back again (good fast twisties and long straights here or nice views and easy riding if your crusing) Watch out for goats and cops on the road

Hastings to Havelock North to Waipawa via The Kahuraniki road to Patangata then Tammamu road to Wiapawa then head west through Onga Onga and return to Hastings Via Highway 50. Watch out for cops here too especially on Highway 50.

Hope this helps

Cheers
P38

Coldrider
2nd October 2007, 08:27
H-W contract temp work by 'Allied Workforce'. You can make up your own mind on that, check out last years....

P38
2nd October 2007, 20:14
Coldrider
True!
Allied workforce did screw up pretty bad last season. :doh:

Hopefully they have got ther sh*t wired this season.
But at the end of the day work was availble an people got paid.

Another favourite ride of mine is Hastings to Woodville via Highway 50, lunch at "Boots N Braces" then back home again.