PDA

View Full Version : Communications anyone?

dcrook
21st September 2007, 15:06
:doh:Hi guys and gals.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is the best bike to pillion intercom on the market which also does an i-pod.

All the bike shop staff I have spoken with both in Hamilton and Tauranga seem to have no idea what works and what doesn't. I thought they at least should have some idea.

Help please.

cheers
Dave

Grub
21st September 2007, 15:23
I'm not going to get into what is "best" but ....

Nasty & I have Nolan N102's with the Basic Comms kit and Bluetooth (those are the controls you see over the left ear in the photo (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60150&d=1178138143)). Here you see it being charged up in my office.

With the Basic Comms Kit, you can plug in helmet-helmet comms for a pillion, plus you can set up a cellphone and an iPod together. The iPod will mute when the phone is answered

This helmet is quiet, has anti-lift, has chin wind guard and the amazing pinlock anti-fog visor system as standard.

Nasty and I ride a lot together so we have the Bluetooth kits for bike-bike comms as well as for our phones. The bike to bike comms distance is about 5-6 car lengths which we very seldom exceed when touring and the quality of the ride is increased a thousand fold as we explore new places and see new things. I can't imagine ever doing without it now. The quality is excellent, no wind noise disturbance, no distortion, perfect clarity out to the full range of the bluetooth. The whole package is designed as an integrated setup which is why I think it works so well.

Normal cost is very very reasonable for a lift-up helmet (you have to love the convenience of that!)
- Helmet $599 (KB special price $535) ... Your price = OUTstanding
- Basic Kit $87 ish
- Bluetooth $385 ish

So for you and pillion, just helmet and basic kit for $622 is a mega-value deal. For you to be able to knock anoher $250 off that is incredible! The Baehr unit costs a couple of thousand bucks just for one bike.

fergie
23rd September 2007, 12:47
i have the nolan also and now that i have finally got the headset connection probs sorted am more than happy with their performance.the probs were my own doing, not a design flaw.

greenman
23rd September 2007, 19:12
HI,
I have a starcom unit, you can plug almost anything into it, mp3 player, phone, ye olde walkman, radar detector etc. But the best thing is being able to talk to the pillion.
Talk to Stuart Parker, his website is sparxfly. He's in hamilton, mostly deals with microlight plane electronics. It will cost you $600-700 I think.
I've have mine about 5 years now.
You will need a helmet that has allowances for the speakers, I have an HLC helmet, and the old ones have small pockets in the lining, whereas the new ones have proper cavities.

Hellraiser
24th September 2007, 14:50
Baher Verso XL good for speeds up tp 200km/h also designed so that as you get your speed up the volume will increase as well.

I currently have my Radar, RT, Bike 2 Bike RT & MP3 player attached too mine and it absoulty brilliant.

Not the cheapest but then again you get what you pay for

Grub
24th September 2007, 15:11
Baher Verso XL ... Not the cheapest but then again you get what you pay for

Nods .... while we trumpet the Nolan, the Baher is the acknowledged leader in this field ... and the most munnies. We just couldn't afford it. What did your rig cost HR?

BMW
25th September 2007, 06:53
Is the bluetooth in stereo?

ArcherWC
25th September 2007, 07:06
Baher Verso XL good for speeds up tp 200km/h also designed so that as you get your speed up the volume will increase as well.

I currently have my Radar, RT, Bike 2 Bike RT & MP3 player attached too mine and it absoulty brilliant.

Not the cheapest but then again you get what you pay for
Seconded, and you get bike to bike range in the kms

P38
4th October 2007, 20:39
A bluetooth enabled Nolan seems a good choice,

I'm thinking of teaming one up with a Garmin Zumo 550.

This should allow me to run my phone and MP3 through the GPS.

I was also woundering if the bluetooh was in stereo.

Cheers
P38

rodmcm
29th January 2008, 17:28
http://www.amalgamate2000.com/sales/products.htm

Crazy we site but you will find info!

I use the M20 with good results as a single rider with Ipod and driver to pillion, but have not used the Motomate which does IPOD for both. Cheapest around though

gunnyrob
29th January 2008, 18:26
I have just bought the Nolan wired N-com system for Rider-pillion as I don't need bike-bike & do not have a blue tooth phone.

Cost was:

N102 helmet each
1x Basic kit each ($85)
1x Intercom Kit ($195)
1x Multimedia wire ($25)

This set up lets me yak to my son & listen to mp-3s on the go (In stereo). Cost is way cheaper than the bluetooth set-up. Clarity is good, battery lasts about 9 hours before a recharge, and has made a big difference to Ramon's enjoyment of the ride.

Grub
29th January 2008, 20:17
I have just bought the Nolan wired N-com system ....

Welcome to the Nolan crowd Gunny, it's great gear isn't it. Nasty and I have the bluetooth and get bike to bike easily at 100-200m. Being able to chat is magic so glad your boy is enjoying the bike experience with you.

I've just been able to test my Plugz for Lugz with the comms and there's no clarity loss at all. At 50kmh I don't turn the volume up at 100kmh I do. But I've never run out of volume because the Lugz are so bloody good at cancelling out all the wind noise