PDA

View Full Version : Another Auckland spanner evening.

FROSTY
10th October 2004, 10:46
Kerry at Motohaus has offered us the use of his workshop to hold another spanner evening.
This one will be going to the next step in maintainence i think.
I'm thinking It'll probably be more hands on.
Im floating ideas here people but im thinking probably itll cover brake pad changing. Brake bleeding. Oil and filter changing,chain replacement and stuff like that.
No date set at this stage -But please give me feedback and indication of interest -(bugger I sound like a pompous git again :killingme )

NC
10th October 2004, 11:39
I need to learn how to do those things :crazy:

T.I.E
10th October 2004, 12:16
most i know how to do, but new techniques would be excellent where and when?

Dodgyiti
10th October 2004, 12:42
Having just got my first chain bike for 20 years, I could do with a refresher please

Mr Skid
10th October 2004, 14:52
I'm definitely interested. Especially after spending a week trying to find the oil filter on my bike. :o

FROSTY
10th October 2004, 14:57
ok well what format do you guys think is going to be the most helpfull--what subject matter

aff-man
10th October 2004, 15:18
whatever whenever

Zapf
10th October 2004, 17:36
I'll be keen too :)

perhaps we can have a few set topics, and the rest leave it up to ppl to ask questions.

Mr Skid
10th October 2004, 19:07
ok well what format do you guys think is going to be the most helpfull--what subject matter

All the stuff you mentioned in your inital post - I think it would be good if we can cover the basics such as oil changes, chain replacements - the sorts of stuff that people usually send their bikes into the shop for.
It'd also be good to concentrate on procedures that don't require heaps of tools to perform.

Antallica
10th October 2004, 20:33
A bit of fork maintenance would go down well.

You can have a hack at mine seeing as they're shited real good loike.

Fix my forks

riffer
10th October 2004, 20:38
Crikey Ants, are you still riding that bike with dodgy seals?

You're either broke, or a total masochist... <_<

FROSTY
10th October 2004, 20:50
hey its mr carby man--Hows the bike going celtic :moon:

Kwaka-Kid
10th October 2004, 21:09
Then after you show them the right way can i come up, represent Eh Boy Racing and show them how to do all those things in less then half the time, using only a hammer and duct tape and of course doing so listening to some good old west auckland music like 8 foot sativa or blindspott.

of course your bike may not come out as good these ways but it kind of saves time in the short run..?.. haha!

so can i come and break some old EBR habbits?

Antallica
10th October 2004, 22:31
Crikey Ants, are you still riding that bike with dodgy seals?

You're either broke, or a total masochist... <_<
It's all fixed in that sense, but apparently the left fork is 'bent'. The mech didn't even try to set it up back how it was, so my poor baby is sitting in the back of the garage.

She's as hard as a rock on the suspension let me assure you, and that seat was bad enough before!

ARSE!

aff-man
10th October 2004, 23:30
Oh can we cover changing fork seals :bash: :2thumbsup

Antallica
11th October 2004, 09:28
Yes, that we do need. ALso my mates Fixxer is rather fuxx0red in the fork seal region.

Have a perfect machine to work on :)

Cajun
11th October 2004, 09:31
I need to learn how to do those things :crazy:

I can help ya with some of these down this way if ya want NC30

T.I.E
11th October 2004, 11:54
lookin for simple things that can go wrong out on the road, best DIY stuff,

puncture repair kits,and how to repair,

chain problems, trying to adjust the chain properly,

simple electrical, sparks plugs what kinds there are what they can do. replacing bulbs

tyre pressures and types, and what all the little numbers on them mean. age, type, speed rating etc.

water in fuel tanks,

adjusting headlights,

spring suspension adjustments on different bikes.

simple things we can do at a look to make sure we all have a safe ride.
some of this stuff is simple for me but others might not know. and some of these i don't know.

Zapf
11th October 2004, 12:30
Has anyone got a video camera with firewire output as well? perhaps we can record it to make a "spanner" video series

Wonko
11th October 2004, 17:38
Fork seals would be good, as well as steering bearings *hint * hint* my bike can demo

Hoon
11th October 2004, 19:28
You'd be hard pressed to do fork seals for the first time in one night. You'd have to pull the forks off the bike first and bring them along rather than risk your bike being in a millions pieces and unrideable at the end of the night.

I'm more than happy to come along and assist if its on a Mon,Weds or 2nd Thurs.

DarkDream
12th October 2004, 15:45
Kerry at Motohaus has offered us the use of his workshop to hold another spanner evening.
This one will be going to the next step in maintainence i think.
I'm thinking It'll probably be more hands on.
Im floating ideas here people but im thinking probably itll cover brake pad changing. Brake bleeding. Oil and filter changing,chain replacement and stuff like that.
No date set at this stage -But please give me feedback and indication of interest -(bugger I sound like a pompous git again :killingme )

Definately keen on this,

Have been spending more money on my bike lately and haven't been able to afford to take it out :crybaby:

Very sorry state of affairs.

R6_kid
13th October 2004, 14:18
im keen :niceone:

last time was good.

Cover anything really, but as i was at the first one i would probably get more out of it if it was a 'step up' from last time.

vifferman
13th October 2004, 14:21
My bike donot go. I wuld like some help to fix it but how doI get it there to fix if it donot go.?

jrandom
13th October 2004, 14:22
My bike donot go. I wuld like some help to fix it but how doI get it there to fix if it donot go.?

I hear Motu's a good chap. Ask him for a lift.

Motu
13th October 2004, 16:15
I hear Motu's a good chap. Ask him for a lift.

Who the fuck told you I'm a nice guy smartarse?
:mad: No raisins in the Pajero Goathead,they take too long to biodegrade.

Dr Bob
14th October 2004, 10:03
I hereby register my interest in attendance, subject of course to the specification of temporal locale.

I have a ute too, so if anyone has a nogoer that is to be the subject of enquiry then I can facilitate transportation.

vifferman
14th October 2004, 10:07
Who the fuck told you I'm a nice guy smartarse?
:mad: No raisins in the Pajero Goathead,they take too long to biodegrade.
Ooh - nice comeback, BadMotu! :niceone:
Perhaps a tad over-zealous, given the suspicions that you and GoatFood are one and the same person.
Maybe that would explain why you seem to have no compunctions about being rude to Mr Food.... :msn-wink:

FROSTY
17th October 2004, 13:45
with this amount of interest Il be talkin to kerry - Ill see if we can organise a date---like soon

El Dopa
17th October 2004, 15:18
Howsabout continuing on from what was covered last time?

At the last session we covered basic stuff: checking chain tension, checking the wheels were roughly aligned, checking the brakes etc.

How about covering stuff that most of us could do ourselves if we had a push in the right direction? e.g. oil change, coolant change, spark plugs, compression etc etc. Basic stuff that we could probably cover in the course of an evening.

Just my 2cents worth.

The Pastor
17th October 2004, 16:04
Yeah, I'd be keen :)

DarkDream
26th October 2004, 14:39
So do we have a date?

My bike is making some funny sounds, well every sound is funny considering I don't know much about fixing it.

Kwaka-Kid
26th October 2004, 15:29
hahaha! wicked dude good to see ur keen, im in too and if anything in the way of tools/oil/other bike parts are needed i am keen to bring them along and we can put them on the viffer.

Infact, i put some old brake pads in the viffer not long ago, id be keen on giving a demo on changing brake pads etc - group effort? Hoon/frosty you can watch me to make sure i dont go teaching any bad westie habbits! :P

enigma51
26th October 2004, 15:54
Ill be there

Badcat
26th October 2004, 15:56
i'm keener than a keen thing whos feeling particularly......
keen

ken

(too much coffee today?)

Stinger
29th October 2004, 14:51
Has anyone got a video camera with firewire output as well? perhaps we can record it to make a "spanner" video series

Yup I've got the gear, I'd be happy to put it on DVD if the people doing it were keen.