PDA

View Full Version : Tires

enigma51
10th October 2004, 11:53
The one thing that keeps us on the road is the black things that we call tires aka rubber. The one thing that does come up often in converstation is "I need to replace my tires what do you recomend". With so many manufactures out there this has become a very difficult task. So I would like to use this thread for people to add there comments on the current rubber they have on there machines and help fellow KWB with there next tire choise

The first one I would like to talk about is Dunlop D207u that came standard with my GSXR 600 K03. From the first ride on them they did not seem quite as nice a I would like them to be. They took for ever to heat up but when they are nice and warm they are alright. Now I cant comment about the back tire as I dont mind a back tyre that moves around but the front tyre is awful. Especialy when its wet. I have done about 4000 km on them and they have not improved :crybaby: which tells me that its time to upgarde to some Bridgestones or Diablo's.

What is the recomendations out there?

Lou Girardin
10th October 2004, 15:55
Diablo or Sportec M1, you won't regret it.
BTW. I got a set of Metz Roadtec Z6's for my brother. He says they're the best sport/touring tyres he's ever used. Slightly slow steering when new, but totally planted feel.

jrandom
10th October 2004, 16:00
black things that we call tires

No we bloody don't. We call them 'tyres'.

Go back to Merrika and play with your terrorist-shootin' F350-drivin' rainforest-raping 'tire'-buying friends, you uneddicated bottom-feeding redneck.

'Tires'.

Hah.

Hitcher
10th October 2004, 16:04
I got a set of Metz Roadtec Z6's for my brother. He says they're the best sport/touring tyres he's ever used. Slightly slow steering when new, but totally planted feel.
I'm now on my second set of Roadtec Z6s. Love them to bits! They're quicker steering than Bridgestone 020s, last longer (about 2,000+km on the rear) and are cheaper (sorry, better value for money). Great in the wet and the dry. Probably not much good on a sports bike, but.

NC
10th October 2004, 16:05
:crazy:

Now, take a relaxing deep breath.

StoneChucker
10th October 2004, 16:38
You're reply made my just about gurgle with laughter :D was just what I was thinking.

PS: Has anyone sat and watched the animated rant emoticon? It's hilarious, you can watch and laugh for minutes!

PPS: JR, you okey there mate? You shouldn't let something so silly as Tires upset you ;)

NC
10th October 2004, 16:57
You're reply made my just about gurgle with laughter :D was just what I was thinking.

Just about??? :sneaky2:

:bleh:

MrMelon and I were cracking up about that rant emoticon lastnight :lol:

MikeL
10th October 2004, 18:16
Hey, JR, I was going to post something similar then thought the better of it. Silly old pedantic bugger, people would have thought.
Glad it was you...

James Deuce
10th October 2004, 18:35
PPS: JR, you okey there mate? You shouldn't let something so silly as Tires upset you ;)

Stop perpetrating the incorrect spelling you silly yarpie!

If SOMEONE doesn't get upset, we'll all be typing in l33t txt.

:bash:

James Deuce
10th October 2004, 18:38
MrMelon and I were cracking up about that rant emoticon lastnight :lol:

:Offtopic: HEEEEEY - What are you doing with MrMelon?? He's only little; you'll hurt him!

StoneChucker
10th October 2004, 20:16
What wrong with talking about Tires? I like Tires, I use Tires. An dere aint nufin rong wif usin slng or txt wrds, its da way of da futre. Hahahha

PS: I'm taking the piss, and was with the reply about Tires if ya didn't know.
You'll find I text in the Queens english, and I'm serious there! I even punctuate :)

Yamahamaman
10th October 2004, 20:27
Queens english, and I'm serious there! I even punctuate :)

Well Yarpie (and I mean that in the nicest possible way )you are probably the only one in this country that does with possible the exception of MikeL and a few other ex-prisoners of Mother England. We normally speak New Zealand English here.

Seriously, Bill Gates believes it to be true as there is provision to select NZ English as an option in Windoze.

And so, who are we to argue with Microsoft?

White trash
11th October 2004, 11:48
Maetzelr M1s. $399 for the pair. Ask F/F, Deano, Hodgeman, 750Y, Chingching.

They're good lasting, they grip well and the cost sweet FA. PM me if you wanna set.

scroter
11th October 2004, 13:09
thats f-in cheep for a SET of tires. and the rpice of diablos has just increased. oh and dont ever use those crappy dunlop d207u's again they are useless. you say the rear slides around but you dont mind that, id agree the rear did slide on the d207u's but it dont on bog standard diablos. i dont know what the sportecs are like but 399 is a steel

Posh Tourer :P
11th October 2004, 17:13
No we bloody don't. We call them 'tyres'.

Go back to Merrika and play with your terrorist-shootin' F350-drivin' rainforest-raping 'tire'-buying friends, you uneddicated bottom-feeding redneck.

'Tires'.

Hah.

Elegantly put good sir...

Posh Tourer :P
11th October 2004, 17:16
What wrong with talking about Tires? I like Tires, I use Tires. An dere aint nufin rong wif usin slng or txt wrds, its da way of da futre. Hahahha

PS: I'm taking the piss, and was with the reply about Tires if ya didn't know.
You'll find I text in the Queens english, and I'm serious there! I even punctuate :)

I believe the (in)correct expression there would have been "lool! Looool!!", (interchangable with "Lolol").
Using Hahahha gives you away as an impostor.

Yamahamaman
11th October 2004, 17:41
Maetzelr M1s.

Never heard of the brand - must be something new out of China.

NC
11th October 2004, 19:19
:Offtopic: HEEEEEY - What are you doing with MrMelon?? He's only little; you'll hurt him!

Just teh way I like em, he likes a bit of rough and tumble :devil2:

MrMelon
11th October 2004, 20:20
Rough and tumble's the best way!

now this is a dodgy emoticon if ever I saw one :bleh: :bleh:

I'm thinking a set of those metzler m1's would be a good thing to get.. My rear tyre's completely bald at the moment and my front's not too far behind :(

ching_ching
11th October 2004, 21:57
Metzeler M1s. Great price. Find them real good, warm up pretty fast and good grippy.
Highly recommend them Yamahamaman.

($100- kickback isn't it WT?) :msn-wink: :eek:

ching

White trash
12th October 2004, 06:35
Never heard of the brand - must be something new out of China.

No no. Made in Germany, right next door to the Metzeler factory. Everybody assumes they're getting the real deal except for the spelling police :Police: who don't miss much.

Coldkiwi
12th October 2004, 11:54
The one thing that keeps us on the road is the black things that we call tires aka rubber. The one thing that does come up often in converstation is "I need to replace my tires what do you recomend". With so many manufactures out there this has become a very difficult task. So I would like to use this thread for people to add there comments on the current rubber they have on there machines and help fellow KWB with there next tire choise

The first one I would like to talk about is Dunlop D207u that came standard with my GSXR 600 K03. From the first ride on them they did not seem quite as nice a I would like them to be. They took for ever to heat up but when they are nice and warm they are alright. Now I cant comment about the back tire as I dont mind a back tyre that moves around but the front tyre is awful. Especialy when its wet. I have done about 4000 km on them and they have not improved :crybaby: which tells me that its time to upgarde to some Bridgestones or Diablo's.

What is the recomendations out there?

now here's a thread I can relate too!

As I have ranted about at length, I think the D207u's fitted to the K3's nothing short of a criminal act. Nothing short of the most useless tyre I have ever had under me on the most potent bike I have ever ridden. I hated them when I got them for the reasons you've outlined already (not to mention the absolutle lack of grip when cold) but it took a rear end spin and crash coming out of my driveway one morning to finally get me to replace them with Diablo Corsa's. Transformed the bike and made me much more confident about it.

Incidentally, not only are they useless form a grip perspective, they don't even give you good mileage. I can only imagine Suzuki got them dirt cheap from Dunlop because they were a bad batch. Anyone else reading this who uses the damn things should get rid of them before you come a cropper!

Cajun
12th October 2004, 12:05
now here's a thread I can relate too!

As I have ranted about at length, I think the D207u's fitted to the K3's nothing short of a criminal act. Nothing short of the most useless tyre I have ever had under me on the most potent bike I have ever ridden. I hated them when I got them for the reasons you've outlined already (not to mention the absolutle lack of grip when cold) but it took a rear end spin and crash coming out of my driveway one morning to finally get me to replace them with Diablo Corsa's. Transformed the bike and made me much more confident about it.

Incidentally, not only are they useless form a grip perspective, they don't even give you good mileage. I can only imagine Suzuki got them dirt cheap from Dunlop because they were a bad batch. Anyone else reading this who uses the damn things should get rid of them before you come a cropper!

Reason being ( i have been told) dunlop support aussie suzuki team so when tires put on for models down under deal is they come with dunlops or something silly like that,

Friend of mine loved his dunllop 207 on his old blade, i personal never liked 207's

White trash
12th October 2004, 14:01
Reason being ( i have been told) dunlop support aussie suzuki team so when tires put on for models down under deal is they come with dunlops or something silly like that,

Friend of mine loved his dunllop 207 on his old blade, i personal never liked 207's

Funny how CKs and everybody elses K3s were destined for Canada then.
Don't believe everything your dealer tells you.

Why did your bike have Bridgestones when new?

Cajun
12th October 2004, 14:21
Funny how CKs and everybody elses K3s were destined for Canada then.
Don't believe everything your dealer tells you.

Why did your bike have Bridgestones when new?

ahhh thats right alot of alstare were canada destined, where they fit dunlops, even the k4 in usa come with dunlops i have heard from the guys on www.gixxer.com.

750Y
12th October 2004, 15:24
Maetzelr M1s. $399 for the pair. Ask F/F, Deano, Hodgeman, 750Y, Chingching.

They're good lasting, they grip well and the cost sweet FA. PM me if you wanna set.

i'm really pleased with the M1's. they are a good road tyre for a sportsbike IMHO.

magnum
12th October 2004, 16:23
$399 for a set of tyres is very good,especially for a recognised brand,ill stick with my diablo corsas for the moment but. :scooter: