PDA

View Full Version : Newbie rider Manawatu (Monaime)

Monamie
24th September 2007, 10:00
Hi
I have just got my learners and am about to buy a NXR125 to commute to work and ride around on my lifestyle block.:baby:

Questions:
Do you guys think this is the right bike to learn the basics on or can you suggest something else please? I have been told to get at least a 250 but can't find something on my limited budget-and doesn't look too dicky. Apparently the NXR will struggle to do 100kms (once I am on my restricted:msn-wink:).

Are there people out in my area who I could maybe ride with once I am more confident-I would like to meet some people to share their knowledge. My ex is a biker and son has a big trail bike that I can't even get my leg over so although I have been around bikes, I know very little about them. I figured if you can't beat them:spanking:, join them.

Thanks

u4ea
24th September 2007, 10:09
Welcome to KB and congrats on making the move to be in the saddle:niceone:.If you have some land to learn on your gunna be fine to get your skills up and learn how your bike performs:msn-wink:.There are plenty of patient folk who ride in the Manawatu..Im sure they'll post real soon:Pokey:.The type of bike you want is your own personal decision but starting small is definatly the safest option while in the learn.I dont know anything on the nxr sorry.

NZsarge
24th September 2007, 10:17
Hi
I have just got my learners and am about to buy a NXR125 to commute to work and ride around on my lifestyle block.:baby:

Questions:
Do you guys think this is the right bike to learn the basics on or can you suggest something else please? I have been told to get at least a 250 but can't find something on my limited budget-and doesn't look too dicky. Apparently the NXR will struggle to do 100kms (once I am on my restricted:msn-wink:).

Are there people out in my area who I could maybe ride with once I am more confident-I would like to meet some people to share their knowledge. My ex is a biker and son has a big trail bike that I can't even get my leg over so although I have been around bikes, I know very little about them. I figured if you can't beat them:spanking:, join them.

Thanks
Hey Monaime, Welcome to the crazy show!! Keep an eye out for the Manawatu threads in "meetings and events" Don't quote me but im sure I heard somewhere the Cowboyz is the local Kiwi Biker mentor so you may want to get in touch with him perhaps, i'm sure there will be someone willing to help you out, i've only been aquainted with the Manawatu crowd for a few months but I can attest that they are a welcoming and friendly bunch.
You're picking the right time of the year to get into it, weather is on the improve. As for what bike, I hesitate to offer an opinion on this but all I will say is have a real good look around and not just in Palmy, make sure you are as happy as you can be with what ever you purchase, good luck.

mazz1972
24th September 2007, 10:42
Hi

Questions:

Thanks

Hi Monaime

Congrats on joining the biker world and welcome to KB!

I have an NXR for sale if you are interested - 2005 model, MINT condition, done only 3,000 kms so practically as new - see photo. Also has metal bark buster type bars (never been on it tho). Currently not being used, so has no WOF and rego is on hold (will do both if wanted).

In my opinion this is an ideal bike to learn on if you have never ridden before. It's not aggressive like a trail bike. At lower speeds it's great, plenty enough pep, and we've always thought would be great as a farm bike. Not great at higher speeds - yes will struggle to do 100kms.

I am in Waikanae so not too far away - let me know if you are interested as I'm very keen to sell!

It's not easy to find a dual purpose bike for those of us with shorter stature! The NXR is a perfect height for me.

Good luck! :msn-wink:

Monamie
24th September 2007, 10:47
Hey thanks for that-I think I will be happy to buy it and then flick it once I can handle it confidently.

M

Monamie
24th September 2007, 10:49
AWESOME-give me a call or txt on 0274063427-I am keen!!

86GSXR
24th September 2007, 10:53
Hey there :yes: Welcome to KB. Yes, there are a few of us around here into our bikes and you're more than welcome to come along on the rides, always good! Plenty of knowledge and experience to go around so don't hestitate to ask, I'm sure someone will have the answer. Apart from that, it's just a good scene and with summer coming up there will be plenty on. Cheers :sunny:

Monamie
24th September 2007, 10:54
Thanks NZsarge-I think it will be a good idea for me to stay `underpowered' for a while as I tend to be a bit of a speed demon. Once I can give my son a run for his money, I will move on and get something that has enough power to keep me safer on the road as I can see me eventually `cruising'.

M

Monamie
24th September 2007, 10:55
Great-will be in touch once I am confident I won't embrass myself too much!!

NZsarge
24th September 2007, 11:05
Thanks NZsarge-I think it will be a good idea for me to stay `underpowered' for a while as I tend to be a bit of a speed demon. Once I can give my son a run for his money, I will move on and get something that has enough power to keep me safer on the road as I can see me eventually `cruising'.

M

Fair enough, just as long as you are happy with your choice thats all you need worry about.:niceone:

dogsnbikes
24th September 2007, 12:38
Welcome Aboard Monaime......congrats on the licence

Lots of advice here as said so many times to Noobs there is no silly questions....as for the bike and question what too get everyone will have a different opinion firstly establish your riding style and along the way you will discover what road services you feel comfortable on and where your and the bikes limitations are.......... I am lucky in the fact I have so many different road conditions and hazards where I live everyday I leave home I practice something I call it bonding with my bike

and we are all here too help in any way possible so enjoy and take care

cowboyz
24th September 2007, 12:51
I am happy to meet up and go over what you are and arent doing on the bike and offer any tips.

Dont get into the mindset that you will join group rides "later, once you get more confident" Cafe rides on the weekend in a small group can do wonders for your riding and confidence. Probably wouldnt be jumping into the 4-800km day rides but the smaller rides are great with plenty of different skill levels represented.

mazz1972
24th September 2007, 13:41
AWESOME-give me a call or txt on 0274063427-I am keen!!

Have sent you a PM and a txt - hope to hear from you!

Cheers
M :msn-wink:

yod
24th September 2007, 14:58
I am happy to meet up and go over what you are and arent doing on the bike and offer any tips.

Dont get into the mindset that you will join group rides "later, once you get more confident" Cafe rides on the weekend in a small group can do wonders for your riding and confidence. Probably wouldnt be jumping into the 4-800km day rides but the smaller rides are great with plenty of different skill levels represented.

what he said - it's seriously helpful to follow and watch others riding - you will improve a lot faster than riding by yourself mate

as long as you dont expect to end up where you thought you were going to, you and cowboyz shoudl get along fine:laugh::dodge:

cowboyz
24th September 2007, 15:25
who let you out?

Monamie
24th September 2007, 15:40
Thanks heaps everyone for your support-I am truely greatful for your help and suggestions and would love to catchup with you on the road-I like the idea of the weekend cafe rides!! :2thumbsup

It is very hard to breakout of your comfort zone and go for something totally new- like this is to me- by yourself so stay by ya `puters cos I'm going to have a heap of questions once I get my bum in the seat.:Pokey:.

(like `where do you put your handbag? (No rude suggestions thanks!:pinch:)

M

dogsnbikes
24th September 2007, 15:42
who let you out?

not alot of work going on today is there guys:Pokey:

dogsnbikes
24th September 2007, 15:46
(like `where do you put your handbag? (No rude suggestions thanks!:pinch:)

M

plenty of room on cowboyz bike for handbags:innocent:

cowboyz
24th September 2007, 15:57
I am on holiday and if Yod actually did any work then they would come to expect it of him so pays not to.

Spent the day kicking a ball round park and playing about. Kids have got the Wii out now so just relaxing before making an attempt to burn the house down (I mean cook dinner). Hey, I know of a chef that could come and do that for me..........

dogsnbikes
24th September 2007, 16:03
[ attempt to burn the house down (I mean cook dinner). Hey, I know of a chef that could come and do that for me..........[/COLOR]

when you find that chef let me know too :devil2:

blacksheep
24th September 2007, 16:25
welcome to kb,the manawatu k'bers are a good bunch with lots of knowledge that they are only too willing too share,(not been out with them for a while due to cash worries)good on ya for getting out there!

Bonez
24th September 2007, 16:38
Welcome to KB Monaime. Plenty of helpfull locals. There's plenty of local backroads, sealed and unseaded (just takes longer but definately worth while getting use to it at an early stage in your riding learning), you can pratice on too with very little traffic.

Point of note. If riding with cowboyz please bring along a map. Just in case his GPS is not doing it's thing or decides it wants to vacate the bike. Maybe you two can compare handbags.

chanceyy
24th September 2007, 21:01
Hi Monaime

yup well I can vouch for the group I have only been riding just over 6 months .. & this motley crew have helped me out a lot ..

Cowboyz is an excellent mentor & the rides are at ya own pace .. the boyz do wait for you . :yes:

just make sure you have a map cause with cowboyz one never knows where they will end up :whistle:

will be heading out doing a few loops once daylight savings start so no probs to hook up & head out

ynot slow
24th September 2007, 21:17
just make sure you have a map cause with cowboyz one never knows where they will end up :whistle:

Not fear ,he found the shell servo in Hawera easy enough,hell how hard can it be to get to any destination,hell that's right I got lost when in Palmy once,mind you was after twenty or so beers and shooters,no good walking towards the albert pub and should be going to the cloverlea pub area.:Playnice:

cowboyz
24th September 2007, 21:48
how does it go.......

Some riders need a destination, some just need a direction.

Cache Wraith
24th September 2007, 22:06
Greetings Monaime. Welcome to KB.

Bonez
25th September 2007, 16:21
how does it go.......

Some riders need a destination, some just need a direction. Some just need a motorcycle.

cowboyz
25th September 2007, 16:51
Some just need a motorcycle.

and others choose a honda

Bonez
25th September 2007, 18:12
and others choose a hondaSuch an astute observation for one so young.